Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Housing Ideas

Hello AoC Dev's,

I briefly touched on this in another post that i responded to but I wanted to go more in depth. So for when most companies thinks of private housing they only think of the part where you make you own farm or you have a blacksmith hut. These are all cool things and help with crafting in your own house but please expand on this feature. I would like you to take a serious llook into "Wildstar" and how they did their housing. I am not asking for huge fairs or dungeons to be put in our house but the concept of randomly getting rare things off loot and being able to display them within our house would be awesome. This would not only show you when your at your home how your story pieced together but also if you have people who visit they can see things and it could inspire a story of how you got that item that i could tell someone a year or even 7 years down the road when its not in the game anymore. I do see the many challenges of this and how it could be tedious to have to create bigger and bigger houses. I just feel this would enhance the game and its something WoW does not try to touch within its game. I am pretty sure more people might have more ideas to expand on this so please comment those expansions to my brief idea i have here. If we are to truly have a game built for the people I hope they would take all our ideas and run with it.

Thank you for your time.
Zief

Comments

• Options
    Since so many devs come from games such as EQ, EQ2, Sony/Daybreak Games; esp. EQ2 where housing is BIG, and has these trophys standard for housing, you will probably see these in Ashes.
  • Options
    I dont have much experience with games and housing but from the little exerience i do have it takes away from the open world as people just sit in houses all day. Not a real fan of the idea but perhaps my one experience isnt enought to have a great opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    Why in the world would you sit around in your house? you can't do quests there; besides housing in Ashes is much more especially the Freeholds.  Go create a free account in EQ2 and see for yourself.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Why in the world would you sit around in your house? you can't do quests there; besides housing in Ashes is much more especially the Freeholds.  Go create a free account in EQ2 and see for yourself.

You havent seen wow player housing i guess that all people do. They do their farming there because you can grow everything in plots. No one really quests at max level and as far as joining groups youre a click away so you dont even have to leave youre house to do battleground, a raid or anything. I know you may think what im saying is crazy but you can find videos on it and youll see im not so nuts for bringing it up.

• Options
    I think with the combo of no fast travel except for economic nodes there won't be the instant travel like in WoW.  From all that has been shown so far, the Freeholds look amazing, and people will be able to do businesses in town.  Hopefully the Ashes experience will bring you around.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Pandazz said:

You havent seen wow player housing i guess that all people do. They do their farming there because you can grow everything in plots. No one really quests at max level and as far as joining groups youre a click away so you dont even have to leave youre house to do battleground, a raid or anything. I know you may think what im saying is crazy but you can find videos on it and youll see im not so nuts for bringing it up.

Whether you realize it or not, your issue here seems to be more with a dungeon finder system than with housing.

Since two of the things we know about Ashes include very limited fast travel and no dungeon finder system, the problems you had with player housing in WoW simply won't be an issue in Ashes.

If WoW is the only game in which you have experienced a system, simply make the assumption you've only ever experienced the worst possible implementation of that system.

EQ2's housing is still - after almost 15 years - the gold standard in MMO player housing.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @Zief
    Kinda glad you brought this up because I'm still wondering one of my ideas didn't " sit-well  " with other people

and uhh @Szejm ... you may want to read this too because its a PvE & PvP idea too

[...]

TL;DR its a very long-winded idea , but it relates to this Topic (slightly) by everyone having a Hidden Storage option - a way of saving whatever decoration they could before their house de-leveled/ got destroyed ... only 1 hidden hole* per person since it could also relate to PvP ... but the hole won't be too big ...  

Sooo ... i had idea about " being able to dig " anywhere in Open-World ...
    The sole-purpose of this mechanic/ feature ... is to be able to hide a limited-amount of items in this Player-made Hole. Why ?
    • If Node de-levels/ destroyed ... the Housing will also be de-leveled/ destroyed ... so what happens to the items/ trophies/ decorations stored in them ? What if you can save some of them ... ( you would not be able to get everything ). What if you had the time to hide/ store some of those items in Holes and come back for them later after you established another House ?
    • Only downside is ... once the items is stored in those Holes ... they could be obtained by another player if they know where to look
    • Plus ... some of those Holes* could be Traps ( think of Indiana Jones )
    • The UnderRealm Race ( Tul'Nar ) could possibly find ( small/ narrow) passage-ways to the surface - snatching the items from beneath the Hole
    it MIGHT be something that RPers could use .... but not to sure tbh

People thought that a shovel would have to be used in order to dig  but ....the idea was that " the visuals for digging " would differ based on what Primary Archetype the player had

( " different " as in Animations too )
    • If "Magical" Archetype = then you would use Mana/MP to dig
    • if "Non-magical" Archetype = then the Action & Animation would differ greatly - such as using their Weapon ( ? Magical-weapon strikes ? )
    Magical Archetype = Mage, Cleric, Summoner, Bard
    Non-Magical Archetype = Tank, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger

The only neutrally bad-&_good about this is ... it does technically help the Red-Players by hiding one of their Gear-Piece items ( but i'm sure this little feature/ mechanic could be* tweaked if its considered
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Only issue is ... the Devs flat-out said " no " during a LiveStream  :D
    • Although i think they said they'l consider it later on though  :*
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I hope this link sheds some light as to why my post does relate to this Thread
    It may not seem like it at first, but the Words from Steven should
    " piece everything together "
  • Options
    @Eragale
    Hahah im quite sure they also said that ur items won't perish after node delevel ect. and I'm 99% sure I would forget where i had hidden my things xD

Btw. I would love to have trophies from pvp turnaments or something like that in my house in aoc or some "heads" of famous villains :D
  • Options