Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Name Reservation Price

Why is the $500 pack the only one with name reservation. Money doesn't grow on trees my dudes. I feel like $150 deserves name reservation. $500 is a third of the rent of my condo. Lol.  :'(

Comments

• Name reservations were spread out in several of the Kick Starter packages.  Each bundle of packages over time have had differences.  Name reservations happen to be one of them. 
    Kick Starter pkgs were unique and not to be duplicated.  
  • You would be upset either way. Name reservation has been confirmed to go in order of package value. So the 5 known people with 10k KS packages will go first, and then on down the line. So the people with $500 would still be kicking the ass of the $150 people in the name reservation game.
  • What logic did you use to determine $150 is enough for name reservation?
    Just curious.
  • Porosha said:
    Why is the $500 pack the only one with name reservation. Money doesn't grow on trees my dudes. I feel like $150 deserves name reservation. $500 is a third of the rent of my condo. Lol.  :'(
    If you happen to have enough money to be renting a $1500 condo, I'm sure you'll be right..
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    Flameh0t said:
    Porosha said:
    If you happen to have enough money to be renting a $1500 condo, I'm sure you'll be right..
    500$ is like the money I pay on my car lease . its kinda lot if u ask of me .  need to really see how many people play this game before drop such cash. this game with all due respect can be a flop . I am hyped but it can easily be another bless online 
  • Flameh0t said:
    Porosha said:
    500$ is like the money I pay on my car lease . its kinda lot if u ask of me .  need to really see how many people play this game before drop such cash. this game with all due respect can be a flop . I am hyped but it can easily be another bless online 
    Yes $500 is a lot and not affordable by many.   There are those who could afford it and greatly desire to be in the "me first" group.   There are those who gave up something in order to pay for it for other reasons as well.   

There are also some who actually over looked the items that came with them and only wanted to invest in a game that hopefully would fill their desires for a good game to play that would end this drought of bad and mediocre games that we have had for years.
  • Other games have sold name reservations for less than AoC demands. I guess that might be OPs point.

I got the 250$ Pack last year and it doesn't have a name reservation. In other games I could even reserve 3 character names for that price.

After all, it is Intrepids decision and the higher the name reservation cost is, (assuming) the fewer people will have name reservations.

Given the high cost of name reservations, I don't think someone would pay such a high price to intentionally troll you to take your name. If you want to have a generic name like Kirito, you might want to invest some time into developing your own unique online persona.

As not every second founder will have name reservations in AoC (as per current state), it will be fair game upon release.

• Most of the time name reservations are useful only if you want to use names from other known characters like @nagash for example, if you have a unique nickname chances are you will be able to use it for your character.
  • Most of the time name reservations are useful only if you want to use names from other known characters like @nagash for example, if you have a unique nickname chances are you will be able to use it for your character.
    I was lazy with my name ^^
  • When you buy the Intrepid package ($500)  you are allowed to buy the Intrepid level add-ons from that month on.... all the way to Launch.  You are not just paying for the name reservation.  I'm happy to support the devs!  This game is going to be so true to the 'no pay to win', its going to be awesome.
  • Flameh0t said:
    Porosha said:
    $500 is a lot!  And if you're paying that for a car lease, that must be one sexy car!  I would consider you pretty darn rich if you had a mortgage/rent, too, and able to afford that!

That being said... the $500 option also includes a full year of game time (this month), which means your subscription is basically free for a year.  If you include access to the Alphas/Betas as game time, that's potentially 1+ year of additional game time for free... even though those characters will be reset at launch.  $150 on the item shop - basically you will get free cosmetics until you use that up.  And it's a one time purchase price, not a monthly deal.

If you think about it practically as an adult, based on a typical night out on a weekend:
    Let's say you go out drinking with some friends.
    Share an uber (there and back) ~ $20
    Buy a round of drinks at $4/beer ~ $20
    Any other food and/or tip ~ $10
    Total for the night ~$50  (That's pretty darn conservative if you ask me)

On top of that, you might get in to a fight, might end up getting a ticket (speeding, roll a stop sign, parking ticket, drunk in public... anything really), or any number of things that will ruin your night.

Now, if you decide to buy your own beer at the store, you'll save a ton of money.
    You have friends on the game, so no need to go anywhere.
    You can do whatever you want on the game with only virtual consequences...
    All for $15/month.

If you stay home and nerd-out instead of going out on the weekends for 2-3 months, you'll already have enough saved up to buy the $500 pack!  And you'll get most of that back in benefits you would've already spent your money on for the game, anyway.
  • I bought the $500 pack purely to support the game I could care less about the name reservation or items included within it, they are all a bonus to me the only two items of value to me are inclusion of all testing phase outside of alpha-0 and the first year of sub fee waived ($180 value) essentially I'm getting one year of testing and one year of live plus a bunch of goodies for that price. Which is fair to me.

Much rather do that with 500$ then going out to party and waste money on enjoying the ride down to a hangover.
    edited June 2018
    I'm always perplexed by these types of posts.

Partially because I know what its like to have no money(homeless for a year after college) but also in part because in the grand scheme of things, you're being asked to pay for a luxury. Gaming is a hobby and hobbies cost money. 

If $500 is too steep for you for a luxury, then it's not something you should invest in. Same reason I don't drive a Lexus. I don't want to pay the $500 a month for the loan. So I settled from the $350 truck payment because I "need" a car, but I don't need a luxury car. 

I didn't ask Lexus to make it so I could lease it for $150, instead I just realized it wasn't that important to me that I was willing to make the sacrifice and moved on with my life.

If name reservation is THAT important to you, then you should either save some money and purchase it or come up with a name that's original and likely won't be taken.

At one point I was homeless, working random odd jobs, mostly couch surfing, but I still managed to set aside $400 to buy a PS3 and Red Dead Redemption because it was THAT important to me I was willing to not eat for a few days so I could be a cowboy.
  • I agree with the OP that $500 is a lot for name reservation.
    I disagree with the OP about living in a condo and leasing a car.
  • If all you were getting for 500$ then I'd agree that its expensive. But really the naming is just a perk of the package. Though I suppose its the perk that got me to drop an extra 250$.
    edited June 2018
    I agree with the OP that $500 is a lot for name reservation.
    I disagree with the OP about living in a condo and leasing a car.
    He lives in a $1500 a month condo.

Assuming he lives alone, he'd need to be making atleast that a month. Then other expenses, let's be conservative and say utilities are included in his condo. That means he still has groceries, internet and phone. Easily $250 combined. And that's low end. 

So let's say he could live on $2000 a month. It would be tight, but could happen if he doesn't pay car payments or student loans. 

Then that begs the question, why is someone only pulling down $24,000 a year made the terrible financial decision to move into a $1500 a month place.

So based on that, he's shit with his money, and the fact he can't afford the $500 pack is his own fault.

But let's say he has a roommate, or two. He's only paying $500 and splitting the cost. More reasonable, showing he handles his money better than thought. But he also tried to mislead us that he forking over $1500, making him a dirty liar.

Then let's say he earns enough that he falls in the range of someone who can comfortably live in a $1500 a month flat alone. He'd probably be able to put aside some money every month in savings. Even if it's only $50 a month, he's going to have $500 in less than a year, 5 months if he sets aside $100 each month. Making him a damned cheapskate.

Anyway this shakes out, OP is a portable container filled with phallic objects.
  • All I spend my money on is books, tea and little plastic miniatures ^^
  • Coffee > Tea
  • Holy-Shiv said:
    Coffee > Tea
    You just started a holy war
  • Everything in life is give and take and a balancing act.  Most people can't have everything they want, but hopefully they manage to have everything they need.  Once needs are met, you have choices to make with what is left over.  Do you go for immediate gratification or long term goals?  Hard decisions...if you want happiness in your life you make your choices and you live with them and don't look back.
  • Of course, everyone's going to have their own opinion about the pricing of the summer KS packages (as well as cash shop items).  But, the main reason I purchased the $500 dollar package, was for the lifetime subscription, and to support the game.  Everything else included was just window dressing. 

I honestly don't even remember what else was included in that package, lol. 
  • Of course, everyone's going to have their own opinion about the pricing of the summer KS packages (as well as cash shop items).  But, the main reason I purchased the $500 dollar package, was for the lifetime subscription, and to support the game.  Everything else included was just window dressing. 

I honestly don't even remember what else was included in that package, lol. 
    I am in the exact same boat.
  • The current Intrepid pack consists of $150 worth of currency, $180 worth of subscription time, $25 for a boat skin, $25 for a freehold skin, $25 for a costume, $5 for a mask, $20 for a mount skin and $15 for a pet skin.

That's $445 already, of a $500 pack

The remaining $55 covers access to both alpha and both beta stages, and name reservation.

To me, that is a damn good deal. 
  • 500$ is a quite a bit of money still I wish i had the lifetime subscription. But if you take 500$ and divide it by 15. It comes down to almost 3 years worth of game play so you make your money back if you play for 3 years.
  • ^and that's only if you consider that all $500 went to the sub.
  • You could get it for $400 on Kickstarter plus all the extra perks. 
  • They could add name reservation later on as an addon package. But obviously those people would have to wait until everyone else has picked their name (in order of package cost). I guess that's fair. But you can't really complain about the $500 package price when you look at what you get. You get $445 worth of cosmetics and gametime, and the rest pays for the name reservation and Alpha/Beta access.
  • nagash said:
    All I spend my money on is books, tea and little plastic miniatures ^^
    And the mini's don't come cheap..
  • Flameh0t said:
    nagash said:
    All I spend my money on is books, tea and little plastic miniatures ^^
    And the mini's don't come cheap..
    oh you have no idea how much i've spent on GW
  • It's all a matter of priorities and planning.  Do you want that Star Buck cappuccino every day or to save your money for a new pc every few years?   I save my change and never stop at a Star Bucks.  Guess who has a custom built pc whenever  she needs/wants one?