Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What there will be for competitive PvP players?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Why are u arguing? Why not both? Arenas like in WoW so ppl could practice(all day all night~~) and once a few days open world batrlegroud where they could show off and do something meaningful.
    Btw. Arena ranking is important to see how much u have improved and to give motivation. 
    To satisfy all the players needs they should implement Both.. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    @Szejm Not arguing
  • Options
    @Noaani So you chose to write a novel where you tell the basics of this game and without understanding my interests related to battlegrounds. :D
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    @Noaani So you chose to write a novel where you tell the basics of this game and without understanding my interests related to battlegrounds. :D
    Battlegrounds, or arena?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Noaani  You've stated it very well.
    Noaani said:
    Ferryman said:
    I really hope you are wrong with your battleground guessing. If there is only really large scale PvP battlegrounds like node and castle sieges, which also happens kind of rarely, then PvP side will be a little bit boring. There is nothing wrong with large scale PvP battles and i think those,are are awesome, but i think we still miss some smaller scale battlegrounds, which can be made daily or few times in week.

And if devs have not planned anything like this, then i will suggest to implement some. I see lots of opportunities to add meaningfull small objectives all around the world, where small/medium size PvP groups can fight to control those. 
    You seem to be looking at battlegrounds as if this were WoW.

You talk about them in terms of scheduled or planned events, with one a day limits or quests. I also get the feeling you think they are instanced as per WoW battlegrounds.

If you PvP to top an artificial ladder, and I PvP to become a literal in game monarch - complete with dragon mount - who do you think will walk away thinking their PvP was more meaningful?

While yes this is a very valid point, do not be naive to think that those who constantly on a daily basis pvp if so decide to step into open world pvp will not clean house. Theoretically they will be the ones more capable and experienced at winning. 

Why not just have both? Tournaments held in towns can be a source of income, kind of like a daily sporting event. To give a real world comparison, the events at the Colosseum were sometimes held for 100 days straight. During these events the surrounding area of the Colosseum saw an increase of wealth flowing through.

At the same time, daily competitive pvp does get boring and eventually there will be a continuous group that will win all the time. So the rewards can't be anything amazing.

• Options
    @Noaani  You've stated it very well.
    Noaani said:
    Ferryman said:
    I really hope you are wrong with your battleground guessing. If there is only really large scale PvP battlegrounds like node and castle sieges, which also happens kind of rarely, then PvP side will be a little bit boring. There is nothing wrong with large scale PvP battles and i think those,are are awesome, but i think we still miss some smaller scale battlegrounds, which can be made daily or few times in week.

And if devs have not planned anything like this, then i will suggest to implement some. I see lots of opportunities to add meaningfull small objectives all around the world, where small/medium size PvP groups can fight to control those. 
    You seem to be looking at battlegrounds as if this were WoW.

You talk about them in terms of scheduled or planned events, with one a day limits or quests. I also get the feeling you think they are instanced as per WoW battlegrounds.

If you PvP to top an artificial ladder, and I PvP to become a literal in game monarch - complete with dragon mount - who do you think will walk away thinking their PvP was more meaningful?

Yes, this statement is very well worded. However do not be naive and think that just because someone plays ladder pvp, is not capable at open world pvp. Theoretically they will be more experienced and likely to win.

I do not see the issue in having competition based PvP. If anything it should be implemented for nodes that obtain town stage or higher. These could be used as a source of income for the node/town. Think of it as the Colosseum, some of those events would go 100 days straight and the shops surrounding the stadium would see a major flow of wealth. On top of that the need for constant repairs of weapon and armor, the need for new weapon and armor, and other equipment can help the economy. Heck turn it into a spectacle and make it a sporting event within the game. Where people have to pay an entrance fee to watch and gain special buffs for attending the event. 

There is so much opportunity for growth for daily competitive pvp in mmos. Instead of shooting it down why not try to develop it into something that could add an additional uniqueness to the game. [Yes, these events might be better geared to be community inspired events. But the mechanics to really benefit from it has to be implemented and that starts at mechanic level.]
  • Options
    Tarros said:

Yes, this statement is very well worded. However do not be naive and think that just because someone plays ladder pvp, is not capable at open world pvp. Theoretically they will be more experienced and likely to win.

This is untrue.

Someone that spends all their time in arena PvP and suddenly finds themselves in open PvP will not have the situational awareness that is needed, as they are used to PvP in situations where the number of opponents is known, and doesn't change.

The fact that this does not hold true in open PvP is what sets it apart from arena PvP, and why players that are only used to one do not function as well as some would expect in the other.

Also, the notion of anything in an MMO being restricted to "daily" needs to die. "Daily" content forces people to log in each day whether they want to or not, as they feel they can't miss out on their "dailies". It is a cheap trick propagated by Blizzard to try and tie people to their game - rather than them simply learning how to make a good game.
  • Options
    @Noaani
     I was an arena maniac in BDO. In open world enviroment i could easly go 1 v 3. Even when my opponents were my lvl or a bit higher. Combat experience is combat experience. Same goes for WoW. When high rank arena player join battle ground...its cows slaughter.. No idea what games u played or who told u that but it's completly false. Its Like saying privat boxing lessons won't help u fight on the streets becouse of different environment xd. When actualy someone who pracatice martial arts can easly win 1 vs 2/3 guys that don't practice martial arts. (Its feels more like fighting a child.)
    Most important think to remember is:
    When u'r bad at pvp, just not talented, arenas can help u a little, but u will still be a bad/average pvp player and in open world pvp u will still have ur ass beaten. (same goes for reality) 
    Mayby u heard that from someone who sucked at pvp and was just making up excuses... As they say.. a bad workman blames his tools.
  • Options
    Szejm said:
    @Noaani
     I was an arena maniac in BDO. In open world enviroment i could easly go 1 v 3. Even when my opponents were my lvl or a bit higher. Combat experience is combat experience. Same goes for WoW. When high rank arena player join battle ground...its cows slaughter.. No idea what games u played or who told u that but it's completly false. Its Like saying privat boxing lessons won't help u fight on the streets becouse of different environment xd. When actualy someone who pracatice martial arts can easly win 1 vs 2/3 guys that don't practice martial arts. (Its feels more like fighting a child.)
    Most important think to remember is:
    When u'r bad at pvp, just not talented, arenas can help u a little, but u will still be a bad/average pvp player and in open world pvp u will still have ur ass beaten. (same goes for reality) 
    Mayby u heard that from someone who sucked at pvp and was just making up excuses... As they say.. a bad workman blames his tools.
    I played BDO for a fairly long while and never once came across any open world PvP. 

Someone that PvP's in an arena will no doubt have an advantage over someone that doesn't PvP at all, as is most likely the case in your anecdote. It's only when they come across someone proficient in open world PvP that they will fall to bits.

To your last point - I don't bother repeating what other people tell me. If I don't have my own opinion on a specific topic, I don't bother talking about it.
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    I played BDO for a fairly long while and never once came across any open world PvP. 

Yeee BDO killed its open world pvp when carebears forced their stupid ideas through forums (they removed penalty for pvp death for not flagged players). But spots like pirates and susans used to be highly contested by top players. Even few times I decided to go -1 000 000 karma risking my exp, gems and gear just to have whole spot for myself and ofc for fun and thrill of combat(mostly at late night hours like 1am-7am). But when they made it p2w and destroyed open world pvp most of the players just quit.

I love and desperately need mmo game with exciting and rewarding open world pvp. That’s why i want to reduce penalties for reds. To encourage to open world pvp a little.

• Options
    Szejm said:
    That’s why i want to reduce penalties for reds. To encourage to open world pvp a little.
    But that isn't what Intrepid want.
  • Options
    You need to hang out on the Crowfail forums. That is going to be right where you need to be for your "I want to incentivize open world pvp to feed my desperate need."
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    Szejm said:
    That’s why i want to reduce penalties for reds. To encourage to open world pvp a little.

Interpid said many times that they want it balanced and meaningfull. And thats exactly what I'm trying to achieve. When something is excessively discouraged and punished it's neither balanced nor meaningfull - it's non-existent.
    I think u two have too much of a carebear mentality. mayby u should try some non PvP game. U need to hang out on farmivlle forums. That is going to be right where you need to be for your "I'm afraid to die in PVX MMORPG game". Role play is role play it needs both bad and good characters.
  • Options
    You need to hang out on the Crowfail forums. That is going to be right where you need to be for your "I want to incentivize open world pvp to feed my desperate need."
    I will leave the ashes forums, Nevermore 
  • Options
    I don't think AoC wants to be an e-sport.  There are plenty of other games out there for that.
  • Options
    Hmm e sport. It's mostly not like mmorpg game aim for e sport. Normally it's other way around. If mmorpg game is successful and has exciting competitive pvp/pve it will slowly become e sport. Imho. Arena system with ranking is not equal to esport.
  • Options
    This game seems like it'd be lacking anything esports worthy... as in arenas or other ranked pvp scenarios. This is more going for the living world with pve and pvp. I think esports would detract from the pve side of the game too.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Well some of this is a repost but  not all of it so......
    What could be  done is   

1) Have an ingame addon that tracks your wins against which comps and rating. For example how many wins are against  higher rated teams than you.  What is  your win ratio for the month.  What is  your rating increase or decrease for the month. Be  pretty  cool if  it also  tracked crowd control.  Like how many times you were stunned slowed and how many times you stunned slowed or interupted.

2)There could be quarterly tournaments.    If  Ashes of creation just invited the top  teams  on the server and had tournaments maybe even with out a cash prize but just    in  game rewards   with out all the  bell and whistles.  Could be set up pretty cost effetive basically just hosting games with some one anouncer   real easy in fact. 

3) have the history of the leaderboards.   For example the top  100 players for 2018 first quarter  were and there names would be posted there forever.  Gives a great incentive to  get better.

4)  Seeing as you have  lots of player choices  and no pvp gear and 64 classes  well pvp game balance is going to be a night mare.  So classes are not going to be balanced  as much as you would like.   So  I think one way  to counter this is to recognize the top ten clerics or  rangers on the server.  So titles and mounts would be awarded per class  that  way people would not complain  so much if  their class was not well suited for pvp.  They would still be rewarded on how well they did against other players playing the  same class.   So let say you play a bard  and well bards are not as well for pvp as a mage well that ok cause  you will only be competing against other bards for elite pvp rewards at end of season. 

But you would still lose more cause a mage x x  team will have more advantage more noticeable at higher levels.  There is really no way to solve this problem.   One class or comp will be the god comp so players will be looking to play with those classes.  

5)  There should be pvp test dummies which could represent   player.  For example let say you could set the dummie for x hit points  with x armour  that you could see how effective your play style would be against some one in that class.

6) having non rated arenas  it gives the player ability to test out  different  setups and play with different players with risking  their rating.

• Options
    Szejm said:
    Noaani said:
    Szejm said:

Interpid said many times that they want it balanced and meaningfull. And thats exactly what I'm trying to achieve. When something is excessively discouraged and punished it's neither balanced nor meaningfull - it's non-existent.
    I think u two have too much of a carebear mentality. mayby u should try some non PvP game. U need to hang out on farmivlle forums. That is going to be right where you need to be for your "I'm afraid to die in PVX MMORPG game". Role play is role play it needs both bad and good characters.
    You are misunderstanding the quote.

That quote isn't about PvP in relation to the corruption system, it is about PvP over all.

They are talking about sieges and caravan raids being meaningful, which they will be.

Actual open world PvP that triggers corruption is supposed to be fairly rare.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Eragale said:
    Intrepid is still in the Process of " setting the premise for the stage " - as evident of their Action-Combat iterations that we have yet to see. As much as i would like to join-in on this Thread ... /i don't think its time yet

Because I'm still hoping ( beyond comprehension ) ... I'm seriously am still hoping that there's lots of " Elevation in Exploration "
    For example ...

imagine being ambushed from above the Treetops 
    Imgine being able to travel on each of these Levels - it'll practically add new dimensions of exploration

Something i mentioned further in this thread. Page 1 & Page 2
    Dwarfs can't climb trees and my Elf is a germaphobe - trees are sticky

BUUUUT, Mobs could absolutely drop on you from above or pop out of the sand etc.
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    Intrepid is still in the Process of " setting the premise for the stage " - as evident of their Action-Combat iterations that we have yet to see. As much as i would like to join-in on this Thread ... /i don't think its time yet

Because I'm still hoping ( beyond comprehension ) ... I'm seriously am still hoping that there's lots of " Elevation in Exploration "
    For example ...

imagine being ambushed from above the Treetops 
    Imgine being able to travel on each of these Levels - it'll practically add new dimensions of exploration

Something i mentioned further in this thread. Page 1 & Page 2
    Dwarfs can't climb trees and my Elf is a germaphobe - trees are sticky

BUUUUT, Mobs could absolutely drop on you from above or pop out of the sand etc.
    Little did you know the undead are below the floor 
  • Options
    Noaani said:

Well i hope u are worng :< (This bounty hunters system sounds promising.)

Btw. Does anyone know when will be next live stream with devs?
  • Options
    Szejm said:
    Noaani said:

well in the last stream they said July 4th but realised it was traitors day (joke) so my guess would be any time after that
  • Options
    Szejm said:
    Noaani said:

Oh, they will maintain the corruption system so that it is used enough so that bounty hunting will be viable - but corruption will still be fairly rare over all.

It is as I've said in a number of PvP related threads on these forums - the developers have a number of different levers they can push and pull to encourage and discourage people from engaging in PvP that will cause corruption.

These levers are simple things like the actual amount of corruption earned per kill (which can be altered based on level), the amount of stat loss per point of corruption, the amount of corruption needed before item loss chance is triggered, the curve of that item loss based on corruption above the minimum threshold, and the amount of corruption removed on PvP death.

In much the same way as they will have key targets in regards to the games economy, they will have targets in relation to corruption. If not enough people are engaging in corruption based PvP, they will use these levers to encourage people to get in to it a little more. However, if too many people are engaging in corruption PvP, they will use them to dissuade  people from such. 
  • Options
    @Digital_Wind
    i found a more appropriate pic for my post