Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

First Generation of Varra

Since this game evolves on our terms, we technically " inhabit " the servers first. Those who play this at release would technically be the founding generation of Varra, and thus a good portion of us would be wealthier as compared to the following generations.

In this MMORPG in paticular though, would tit be possible for a single player to own enough land that becomes a city, and like, run it? Like the possibility of a king/mayor? Say its your land and someone wants to build their house on it... free? Do they pay the land owner? tax?

I imagined a player joining a few months after release, and then he joins to see like a castle or something, and he journeys in and discovers that <Username> is the mayor of the town, you can choose to reside there under " X " circumstances.
Sorry if you found this post confusing, my thoughts are all over the place and personally I am not even sure if I made sense. Just felt like posting

Sorry if you found this post confusing, my thoughts are all over the place and personally I am not even sure if I made sense. Just felt like posting.

Comments

• Not really "own" it no.
    You can own freeholds.

Nodes that develop into cities require a constant input of resources from, likely, a large group of players.

Each node has a government type all it's own though.
    Science Nodes - Democracy (i think)
    Military Nodes - Strongest character
    Economic Nodes - Richest character
    Religious Nodes - Most devout character

So, as for wealth and owning a city, perhaps early onset players have a chance at leading the Economic nodes sooner than others, but I think the same can be said for all nodes.

Hopefully new players (for many years after release) will encourage siege events so they can help their own nodes progress in a way they want them to. When these new nodes start progressing, players that started later than the 'first generation' will likely have an equal chance at being the leader.
  • Well I suggest this here : 

http://www.aocwiki.net/Housing

http://www.aocwiki.net/Castles

http://www.aocwiki.net/Nodes

Just like @Azathoth said you can't directly own the city but could be elected or what ever the process to becoming a mayor in that city is (economic node = be rich)
  • You are very limited on property ownership. You can have one freehold, one instanced apartment, and one node house account wide. 
  • Considering the totality of fantasy writing, I find it necessary to also correct that the world is 'Verra' and not 'Varra'.

For something that could've been just a typo... in a realm where words have literal power (magic), as well as multiple languages, it isn't a trivial thing.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    The Ashes of Creation Twitch channel has many livestreams that talk about the nodes and how they will be managed.  There are many, but it is worth going back and listening.  The website aocwiki.net is also a very good source of info.  All property ownership in this game is potentially temporary and can be fought over and won on a periodic basis if certain conditions are met by the aggressors. The good news is that if you loose a freehold, not all is lost.  The devs said you will not have to completely re-build, but instead may have the option to template your progress on your freehold certificate and place it back down 'ready-made' in a new place.
  • This doesn't seem to be enough of a sandbox to have this. This is a themebox (theme park style with sandbox elements). Hopefully Chronicles of Elyria will be successful for those interested in more sandbox stuff.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    Just in case if you didn't see the video specially in the Blog-link posted above
    These are the YouTube Versions ( same thing though )
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg&t=1s
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk&t=1s
    There are 3 types of Housing 
    • HouseHold
    • Instanced-Apartments 
    • FreeHolds 
    The these Housing Options are available at different Node Levels
    ( which progresses (unfathomably) slowly )
  • I think "unfathomably" is a bit of an exaggeration, I think the progress should be slower "Rome wasn't built in a day" adage and what not. In the end it's perspective and I hope node progression is fast enough for you once we all get in and working on a few together.
  • @Azathoth
    regrettably you would have to take into consideration for those who are willing to put in 12+ hours into the Ashes MMO - they'll always be someone who will try to break th game
    • Sure, in testing phases ( mainly Alpha ) " trying to break " the Game should a Given. But in Beta Phases,  it should be less prevalent and more " refined " - but still trying to find any loops
    Regardless, even after Launch ...i hope you get my point here  :'(
  • In this MMORPG in paticular though, would tit be possible for a single player to own enough land that becomes a city, and like, run it?...............

Yes if you get enough tit you'll run everything lol. sorry i had to 

• makinoji said:
    In this MMORPG in paticular though, would tit be possible for a single player to own enough land that becomes a city, and like, run it?...............

I find that the tit normally runs you...not the other way around.
  • Sintu said:
    makinoji said:
    In this MMORPG in paticular though, would tit be possible for a single player to own enough land that becomes a city, and like, run it?...............

I find that the tit normally runs you...not the other way around.
    see this is why you have undead Clarks do the work for you
  • Caelron said:
    Considering the totality of fantasy writing, I find it necessary to also correct that the world is 'Verra' and not 'Varra'.

For something that could've been just a typo... in a realm where words have literal power (magic), as well as multiple languages, it isn't a trivial thing.
    I respect this post
  • Sintu said:
    You are very limited on property ownership. You can have one freehold, one instanced apartment, and one node house account wide. 
    So this needs some clarification as it seems to confuse many people. You can have one Freehold account wide. You can own multiple instanced apartments and in city node houses. Before everyone freaks out, read the examples to explain this more clearly. You have your main character Bob. Bob is a citizen of Happy Valley. At node level 3 Bob can place a freehold. He can also buy an in city house in Happy Valley. At level 4 the mayor decides to build instanced apartments. Bob can buy one of those too. Now you have your alt Totorro. Totorro can use the freehold, house, and apartment that Bob placed or purchased without restrictions. If Totorro is a citizen of Happy Valley he can also purchase an in city house (if available) and an instanced apartment (always available). Totorro cannot place another freehold (1 per account). Totorro doesn't like Happy Valley and he moves several nodes over to Shady Brook and becomes a citizen there. He can now purchase an in city house and an instanced apartment if Totorro is so inclined. He still has access to the Freehold, and Bobs other two structures if he decides to jaunt back to Happy Valley. Bob if he decides to visit Shady Brook can utilize Totorros structures. Is there a risk that Bob may not be welcome as a citizen of Happy Valley in Shady Brook? Possibly. Which will make sneaking into Totorros houses even more fun. Now multiply that times the number of alts that you are able to create, and that is how many houses you could possibly own. Realize that taxes are due on all properties and are likely to be significant, especially for the first few years of the game. Plus the nightmare of trying to decorate, maintain, and keep track of all the various stuff will lead people to have fewer houses vs more.
    This is a good reference for various housing quotes and information. I will also link the Discord quotebin which also has a whole section on housing.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/Housing
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/10158/quotebin-quotes-of-intrepid-team-from-discord/p1

TL;DR One freehold per account. Multiple houses and apartments character limit based.

• This says only one of each.
  • It has been kicked up to the mods to ask for clarification. That does indeed say one of each, but is that one of each house per character or account. The only direct quote we have about account limit is for freeholds. Kinda strange that freeholds are specifically mentioned as being one per account and not "one of each type of house per account"
  • Dugu said:
    Since this game evolves on our terms, we technically " inhabit " the servers first. Those who play this at release would technically be the founding generation of Varra, and thus a good portion of us would be wealthier as compared to the following generations.

In this MMORPG in paticular though, would tit be possible for a single player to own enough land that becomes a city, and like, run it? Like the possibility of a king/mayor? Say its your land and someone wants to build their house on it... free? Do they pay the land owner? tax?

I imagined a player joining a few months after release, and then he joins to see like a castle or something, and he journeys in and discovers that <Username> is the mayor of the town, you can choose to reside there under " X " circumstances.
    Sorry if you found this post confusing, my thoughts are all over the place and personally I am not even sure if I made sense. Just felt like posting

Sorry if you found this post confusing, my thoughts are all over the place and personally I am not even sure if I made sense. Just felt like posting.

That day families will be born out of the ashes and tribes that will rule for a eternity!
  • Well "one of each type of house" with one of those houses being a Freehold, and the Freehold is per account, I'm pretty sure it means per account without the explicit words.
  • That is why it needs clarification. I can just as well state that "I'm pretty sure" that it means that freeholds are account locked and the other two forms of housing will be character dependent. 
  • @UnknownSystemError You are usually Johnny on the Spot with your posts, but I have to say I disagree with you on this one.  However, I would love it if we could get more with our alts.
  • Freeholds are limited to one per account. Static housing and apartments are limited to one each per server.

https://youtu.be/ZnoHtzaQeMs?t=50m47s
  • Ok, so one Freehold per account, and then one house and apartment per server.  Got it!   Thanks @lexmax
  • so does that mean there can only be one Nagashizzar? oh happy days