Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Phone App Integration

What's the general consensus on Phone Apps in MMOs?  Last I played World of Warcraft they had a Phone App you could run quests in and I believe it was based around your NPC followers or what-not (I prolly sound like a damn guppy) but was/is it much of a hit?  Are other games leaning towards them, and any thoughts if Intrepid might integrate other platforms to experience Verra?  

Comments

• Options
    It is my understanding that Intrepid has put this on the to do list but not until after launch. So...it is on their radar but is down the line. At least that is what I remember Steven saying. 
  • Options
    As for Ashes I would be against any App that allows a character to progress without the risk everyone else experiences while in the actual game. I understand the desire to want that mobility when commuting or while away from the desk top, but character advancement without risk would be a huge flaw imo.

If the app allowed you access to the store, a character creator, a freehold designer, or the ability to 'improve' your guild I would be down. Mostly because those are things a character can always do in safety. By that logic, anything a player could do at their freehold (assuming freehold is set up to do such things) I would be okay with (except during sieges).

I'm old school though and don't understand the necessity to have access to the game if you are not playing the full game.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    As for Ashes I would be against any App that allows a character to progress without the risk everyone else experiences while in the actual game. I understand the desire to want that mobility when commuting or while away from the desk top, but character advancement without risk would be a huge flaw imo.

If the app allowed you access to the store, a character creator, a freehold designer, or the ability to 'improve' your guild I would be down. Mostly because those are things a character can always do in safety. By that logic, anything a player could do at their freehold (assuming freehold is set up to do such things) I would be okay with (except during sieges).

I'm old school though and don't understand the necessity to have access to the game if you are not playing the full game.
    I like the idea of a mobile vendor hub or access to different player-to-player interactions, but yeah I agree player's shouldn't be able to progress through.  Would be kind of cool if there were different apps for different professions or titles, so if you were engaged in city politics, you might have access to a mobile government of some sort to always stay connected.
  • Options
    IS was talking about being able to do things with it like crop rotation/crafting, getting in game notifications for important events/sales, possibly managing item sales, character creation etc.
  • Options
    As log as the app wont allow us to do things that in-game would be dangerous (gain exp by killing etc.) then I am really looking forward to what they come up with.
  • Options
    I don't want to see anything character progression related.

I could see it hooking in to the market - though I would think it would have to be only to view rather than buy.

Part of the reason for this is because the market is so segmented, with each node having it's own (barring economic metropolis). I also don't see Ashes having any facility to purchase from a market other than your character physically being at that specific market - so buying on a mobile app doesn't really fit.

Same with character interactions like trading and such. Moving items around Verra is a massive part of the game. If you are trading an item with a character, the two characters need to be physically in the same location at the same time - and that doesn't work if one of the characters isn't logged in to the game.

To me, a mobile app is mostly about chat and server events like sieges.

• Options

I believe the concept is great but I wouldn't endorse XP gain through an app, with crafting being the exception. Community interaction through an app would be welcomed, things like tavern games or character editing like appearance or cosmetics/feeding your pets or mounts etc.

• Options
    @Noaani
    I meant the cosmetics cash shop, not an in game character shop, not that you were indicating that but I didn't specify.

I didn't think about the shops being node specific for the most part. I would say being able to check the nodes market based on where the character you chose has citizenship would be cool. I would be against being able to look at a global market or check prices in multiple nodes.

I guess one way to prevent logging into alts with citizenship in multiple nodes would be to have the app only connectable to a single character at a time with a long cool down between checking the markets.

Might be easier to avoid app access to any in game stores completely.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    @Noaani
    I meant the cosmetics cash shop, not an in game character shop, not that you were indicating that but I didn't specify.

I didn't think about the shops being node specific for the most part. I would say being able to check the nodes market based on where the character you chose has citizenship would be cool. I would be against being able to look at a global market or check prices in multiple nodes.

I guess one way to prevent logging into alts with citizenship in multiple nodes would be to have the app only connectable to a single character at a time with a long cool down between checking the markets.

Might be easier to avoid app access to any in game stores completely.
    Looking at the cash shop would be all good, though I'd imagine you could just do that from the website.

I may be wrong, but I believe they are making it so all characters on an account (that are on the same server) have to be citizens of the same node.
  • Options
    I'm totally down for the app in any shape or form it comes in.   

I loved the Neverwinter app for when I was at work.  It was great.

Noaani said:

I may be wrong, but I believe they are making it so all characters on an account (that are on the same server) have to be citizens of the same node.

Correct all characters on the same SERVER must be citizens of the same node.  Obviously alts on different servers can be citizens of a single node on their server.  
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Jahlon said:
    I'm totally down for the app in any shape or form it comes in.   

I loved the Neverwinter app for when I was at work.  It was great.

Noaani said:

Correct all characters on the same SERVER must be citizens of the same node.  Obviously alts on different servers can be citizens of a single node on their server.  
    Well that's not cool.  Even more reason to have more than one account now.  Each character should be treated entirely as its own entity.  Do you have a link where it says that?
  • Options
    Being able to access the auction house for Neverwinter from a webpage was a great feature for me.  Having casual access to that during 'work' hours really extended my deal hunting window and helped me make extra gold :smile:  Meaningless mini-games being available would also be cool (participate in the 'tavern games' they've talked about?)

Would love to have something similar for AoC. Though NW shutdown their 'Gateway' after a couple of years due to bot abuse as I recall.  Of course, that company couldn't even effectively combat gold seller chat spam, so that probably says a lot more about it than anything else.

• Options
    Even just a node tracker or some variety might be cool, so I can kind of know what to prepare for when leaving work. 

Though, I would assume, whatever guild I am end up in will communicate this over discord or whatever.
  • Options
    Spun666 said:
    Though, I would assume, whatever guild I am end up in will communicate this over discord or whatever.
    Yeah, I feel Discord has really eliminated the major need to add any kind of guild chat feature to a mobile app extension - unless, of course, it adds some good localized game features like being able to link to weapons and items for inspection like you can in some games. 

Though, I guess live guild game chat within the game would still be cool to join in on.  

Okay, I just inadvertently convinced myself that I want guild chat in a mobile app.  
    😆
  • Options
    That suggestion would not be good news for my employment status @Rumbleforge!!
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Mine either! I'm already not looking forward to the time that work is going to take away from me to play this game! ;)
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Mine either! I'm already not looking forward to the time that work is going to take away from me to play this game! ;)
    Get a job at IS!  :D It's a win/win.