Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

General feedback from a 20 year MMO player

Comments

• Options
    Either this is a pathetic attempt to rile up the community or some disillusioned guy thinking that he knows everything in the world, I seriously thought that you are just going to share your ideas with everybody but nope you have to come off as some stuck-up know-it-all.

I'm just a guy trying to help a MMO stay alive for a long time.
    Utter surety looks like arrogance, I cant change that.

I don't know everything, but when it comes to imagination and creativity concerning game design, I'm unmatched.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Noaani said:

Unfortunately I cant code or draw

Yet you know how easy it is.

I know how easy it was to come up with the ideas..as I've been sitting on them since I was a child :)
    I can't draw but I can picture amazing and original art inside my mind.
    As I said, the ideas are the easy part.

The hard part is implementing it.

When implementing it, one must take in to account limitations of code, game engines, server hardware, server connections, server locations and client systems.

All of the above shapes what is possible. Not simply how hard something can be - but whether or not that thing can actually be done or not.

On top of what is possible or not, you have to remember that there are literally millions of players running through this creation of yours, many of them with the specific intent of trying to find ways to break it.

Because of this, anything you make needs to be able to cope with things you have never even thought players may try to do - and you still need to do this while keeping within your immovable restrictions of code, engine and hardware.

• Options
    Lol, this thread has gotten hilarious. So what you want to do now is read all of his posts in Trump's voice, then add "and everyone says I'm a very stable genius!" after it. Makes all them 10x better.
  • Options
    PvP is easy? Meanwhile in pretty much every game with pvp ever, any change is usually enough to upset players.
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    Noaani said:

I know how easy it was to come up with the ideas..as I've been sitting on them since I was a child :)

When implementing it, one must take in to account limitations of code, game engines, server hardware, server connections, server locations and client systems.

All of the above shapes what is possible. Not simply how hard something can be - but whether or not that thing can actually be done or not.

On top of what is possible or not, you have to remember that there are literally millions of players running through this creation of yours, many of them with the specific intent of trying to find ways to break it.

Because of this, anything you make needs to be able to cope with things you have never even thought players may try to do - and you still need to do this while keeping within your immovable restrictions of code, engine and hardware.

If the ideas were easy, a game would have them by now.

Basically you're saying "lets not innovate because it might be impossible"
    nothing I have said is technically impossible.

• Options
    Lol, this thread has gotten hilarious. So what you want to do now is read all of his posts in Trump's voice, then add "and everyone says I'm a very stable genius!" after it. Makes all them 10x better.

Nothing I have said is wrong, unless you can show otherwise.
  • Options
    Nope, that is the great thing about opinions, they are never wrong. You can spin it any way you want. Come across as the Yuuuuugest game designer in the whole internet. Won't change the basic facts. The game will be what they have decided it will be, and  no amount of "I have a dream....that one day.....all the children..and all the developers.....will come to the mountain...and listen to my opinions on game design. So it has been said, so shall it be written!" will impact those decisions one whit. You want to introduce yourself to the community as an insufferable (redacted), that is up to you. Just don't be surprised when people that have bothered to follow the game information released bitchslap you with facts rather than idle musings.
  • Options
    Nope, that is the great thing about opinions, they are never wrong. You can spin it any way you want. Come across as the Yuuuuugest game designer in the whole internet. Won't change the basic facts. The game will be what they have decided it will be, and  no amount of "I have a dream....that one day.....all the children..and all the developers.....will come to the mountain...and listen to my opinions on game design. So it has been said, so shall it be written!" will impact those decisions one whit. You want to introduce yourself to the community as an insufferable (redacted), that is up to you. Just don't be surprised when people that have bothered to follow the game information released bitchslap you with facts rather than idle musings.

You're rambling child.
    Opinions are correct by definition, but mine are lined with facts and solid logic so......yeah.
  • Options
    I suggest people just ignore this thread as it's a waste of time for most, leave the guy to his enlightened opinions.
  • Options
    Image result for solid logic gif
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Noaani said:
    Noaani said:

There is technical impossibility (code is all 1's and 0's, nothing is impossible).

Then there is practical impossibility.

Developers can produce games that many gaming computers can't run. The original Crysis is still a meme today because of this fact.

Thing is, that doesn't make for a commercially successful product.

The game needs to run. It needs to run smoothly. It needs to run smoothly on a large variety of client systems.

The more complex you make it, the more resources are required to run it.

The more resources it requires to run, the fewer people you will have that are able to run it. The fewer people that can run it, the lower your population will be. The lower your population is, the shorter your games life is.

Scripting NPC's is *incredibly* complex. If you wanted to create a realistic town of 10,000 people (a small town in real life), the pathing alone would crash any non-super computer in existence. Not the scripting, not deciding *where* those NPC's should go. Just the act of figuring out how to get those NPC's from where they are to where they want to be.

Add full scripting to those NPC's and demand it all be done in real time, and you'll be crashing any super computer in existence as well.

Developers have huge ideas. They have been doing this for years, and most of them are more passionate about MMO's than you are. They are all - without exception - more immersed in MMO's than you are as well.

However, unlike your imagination, they have limitations they need to deal with.

Those limitations aren't addressed by people at Intrepid, they are addressed by people at Intel, AMD and NVidia.

• Options
    Noaani said:
    Noaani said:
    Noaani said:

There is technical impossibility (code is all 1's and 0's, nothing is impossible).

Then there is practical impossibility.

Developers can produce games that many gaming computers can't run. The original Crysis is still a meme today because of this fact.

Thing is, that doesn't make for a commercially successful product.

The game needs to run. It needs to run smoothly. It needs to run smoothly on a large variety of client systems.

The more complex you make it, the more resources are required to run it.

The more resources it requires to run, the fewer people you will have that are able to run it. The fewer people that can run it, the lower your population will be. The lower your population is, the shorter your games life is.

Scripting NPC's is *incredibly* complex. If you wanted to create a realistic town of 10,000 people (a small town in real life), the pathing alone would crash any non-super computer in existence. Not the scripting, not deciding *where* those NPC's should go. Just the act of figuring out how to get those NPC's from where they are to where they want to be.

Developers have huge ideas. They have been doing this for years, and most of them are more passionate about MMO's than you are. They are all - without exception - more immersed in MMO's than you are as well.

However, unlike your imagination, they have limitations they need to deal with.

Those limitations aren't addressed by people at Intrepid, they are addressed by people at Intel, AMD and NVidia.

You will never see 10k people in a town in a video game.
    I guess you're right, I forgot that technology had halted around the world and what's impossible now will still be impossible years to come.
  • Options
    Image result for solid logic gif

Someone has no argument to stand on :)
  • Options
    I suggest people just ignore this thread as it's a waste of time for most, leave the guy to his enlightened opinions.

"My thought process is challenged, I'd best leave"

That attitude is the cancer of gaming.

• Options
    I guess you're right, I forgot that technology had halted around the world and what's impossible now will still be impossible years to come.
    Technology hasn't halted, but Intrepid need to make a game that can run on what is available now.
  • Options

Earlier in the thread, where you actively told people to disengage with your thread because they were challenging your thoughts:

Grimseethe said:

I'm done with this topic though, I have given information which would save any MMO.

If they don't use it, its their failing, not mine.

Please no more replies from anyone, thanks.

• Options
    There is a reward system in Ashes, it's called Referral.  You get other people interested in the game by using your referral link and whatever they spend, you get credited a percentage which you can apply to your subscription cost.
  • Options
    You're rambling child.
    Opinions are correct by definition, but mine are lined with facts and solid logic so......yeah.
    Except where you gave no supporting facts to your opinion.

Take pvp. This has been from the start touted as a main feature. Not only in large scale interactions, but also as the game itself features open pvp. You know, having the option of fighting other players just about anywhere and not in specified places. Taking your advice to just outright ignore pvp for some arbitrary amount of time would mean doing nothing if the open pvp left enough room for griefers to completely ruin the experience for players who want the least amount of pvp possible. The thing with this game is the pvp reaches from the pvp experience into pve, potentially.
  • Options
    You're rambling child.
    Except where you gave no supporting facts to your opinion.

Take pvp. This has been from the start touted as a main feature. Not only in large scale interactions, but also as the game itself features open pvp. You know, having the option of fighting other players just about anywhere and not in specified places. Taking your advice to just outright ignore pvp for some arbitrary amount of time would mean doing nothing if the open pvp left enough room for griefers to completely ruin the experience for players who want the least amount of pvp possible. The thing with this game is the pvp reaches from the pvp experience into pve, potentially.

There should be pvp at launch, but focus more on pve.

Which is what I said.

Pvp isn't as hard to get right as pve.

• Options
    T-Elf said:
    There is a reward system in Ashes, it's called Referral.  You get other people interested in the game by using your referral link and whatever they spend, you get credited a percentage which you can apply to your subscription cost.

I don't have any friends that game, so its no use to me, I'm not about to spam Randoms with game links.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    T-Elf said:

I don't have any friends that game, so its no use to me, I'm not about to spam Randoms with game links.
    It doesn't need to be useful to you to be a fantastic idea.

Though this statement turns your third point in the OP from "I think this idea would be good for the game" in to "I want to personally pay less for the game".
  • Options
    Oiraeket said:

Earlier in the thread, where you actively told people to disengage with your thread because they were challenging your thoughts:

Grimseethe said:

I'm done with this topic though, I have given information which would save any MMO.

If they don't use it, its their failing, not mine.

Please no more replies from anyone, thanks.

If I stop people will think they're right.

I will take some time to educate folks, but I wont for much longer.

• Options
    T-Elf said:

But it is a system that gives rewards (including reducing subs) regardless if you personally cannot benefit.
  • Options

I will take some time to educate folks, but I wont for much longer.

You are providing entertainment, not education.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

There should be pvp at launch, but focus more on pve.

Which is what I said.

Pvp isn't as hard to get right as pve.

You literally opened your pvp opinion with "4. Ignore pvp for awhile." That is completely different than focus less on pvp.

In ashes it will be harder, because there is no hard barrier between pve and pvp. While you're out in the world doing quests, or grinding mobs for a specific drop, anyone could come up to you and force you into pvp. If the pvp aspect is too broken it will interfere with pve.
  • Options
    @Grimseethe
    Is their anything you want to know about the MMORPG ? I bet that there's something that you don't know that'll change your entire perspective on everything. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    1. yes. lived in at the start is a no because we are the first people in thousands of years. If by lived in you mean natural life and creatures then yeah its cool.

2. i have no issue with exclusives in a cash shop if in game items are just as cool (they stated that it will be). I also have no issue with in game exclusives like seasonal items or special event items. exclusives aren't what make or break a game for me. They're kinda just there and its just something to be unique with. Number 2 of your post generally feels like an opinion. Most of my friends don't have any issue with exclusives. Whether we are in the minority or not I do not know

3. Good idea and it has good potential to be successful if Ashes gets a large enough base. There are people already with lifetime subs 

4. PvP is one of their pillars so i'm afraid that they can't ignore it at the beginning of the game. This one also seems like an opinion. I do agree that good PvE is good for longevity and PvPers are happy with just about anything because PvP is sort of like self created content. Every encounter is different, every fight is different. It's what makes pvp so much fun. And also people love to compete and PvP is one of the best ways to compare dick sizes so to speak. Also ignoring pvp in an era where LoL, Fortnite, and Pubg are popular is a huge mistake. The game is set around their pillars and i'm confident that their PvE will do well but they can't ignore PvP pre launch or the system fails. One of their core concepts is 'Destroy and Rebuild' . Hence the name "Ashes of Creation". I'm not sure how closely youve followed the game thus far, but if you look into it, you will realize all the benefits that PvP provides this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Y'all need to chill. I dont understand why theres hate on his first point. I think he meant the natural world, Enemy AI and npc AI as what will make the world alive.

His second and fourth point i just can't agree with and the rest of the people on this forum seem to agree. So for the OP i think he needs to reconsider his second and fourth points if the majority are in disagreement

About number 3. I'm no business wiz. I think it makes sense if your player base is in the tens of millions or something but like i said, i'm no wiz so i won't claim any understanding on this one.

I also don't think you've done much research or following of this game or your fourth point wouldn't exist. Might sound right in your head but it seems you haven't even considered anything the devs have said regarding PvP
  • Options
    Either this is a pathetic attempt to rile up the community or some disillusioned guy thinking that he knows everything in the world, I seriously thought that you are just going to share your ideas with everybody but nope you have to come off as some stuck-up know-it-all.

I'm just a guy trying to help a MMO stay alive for a long time.
    Utter surety looks like arrogance, I cant change that.

I don't know everything, but when it comes to imagination and creativity concerning game design, I'm unmatched.

Hahahahaha 
  • Options
    Just curious about what games this guy has designed that have lasted 20 years?

Oh wait...
This discussion has been closed.