Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ramblings

This discussion was created from comments split from: Who is the Community Manager as it is not related to topic.

Comments

• Options

To assist the forum managers from subjective penalty calls that draws ire from some, I recommend a naughty word filter. When one uses an acronym for World Trading Federation – that potentially offensive acronym is filtered. Profanities such as 'F' bombs are obviously filtered. In their place is gobbledygook.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018

i will leave this here for my response - https://blog.vanillaforums.com/community/profanity-filters

In short - declined

• Options

i will leave this here for my response - https://blog.vanillaforums.com/community/profanity-filters

In short - declined

hahaha see this is why we like you so much belle ^^
  • Options
    Saying naughty words is one of the only pleasures in my life.

Don't fucking take that away from me.

• Options
    Depriving people of a word that makes up 50% of modern speech is baffling, fuck
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Good grief you savages and your vulgar language *drinks tea* how barbaric 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Good grief you savages and your vulgar language *drinks tea* how barbaric 
    Image result for skeleton drinks
  • Options

Using the ‘N’ word, referring to F@zgot, moron, or KKK is OK too?  I beg to differ as I think one would get banned posting such things.  Like the HAL 2000 computer, I’m not sure I understand all the rage in using every word (as espoused in the article and by its acolytes).  IF one is so bold – use the ‘N’ word her in caps and you can espouse no word filters.  Would someone care to rephrase the response to the word filter suggestion?  Or – is it subjective based on the sensitivity dial of the forum moderator or mob rule.  Talking in absolutes is interesting.  Just saying – don’t shoot the messenger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjPLf07eyw

• Options

Using the ‘N’ word, referring to F@zgot, moron, or KKK is OK too?  I beg to differ as I think one would get banned posting such things.  Like the HAL 2000 computer, I’m not sure I understand all the rage in using every word (as espoused in the article and by its acolytes).  IF one is so bold – use the ‘N’ word her in caps and you can espouse no word filters.  Would someone care to rephrase the response to the word filter suggestion?  Or – is it subjective based on the sensitivity dial of the forum moderator or mob rule.  Talking in absolutes is interesting.  Just saying – don’t shoot the messenger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjPLf07eyw

you can use your head and know whats appropriate and whats not
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I find the fact that you can't even use the 'N' word in a neutral way an indication that we have become an infantile society. John Schnatter was raked through the coals by the media for saying "“Colonel Sanders called blacks n*****s,” which is simply a historical fact. Quite a bit different from saying something like "F*** off and die, n*****". Political rant aside, this does have a point.

I don't particularly mind filters, but I would hope that the AoC community is mature enough to get along without one. There are 'report' options for people to use when someone is being abusive, and I trust that moderators and GMs are adept enough to mute someone shouting "Fragged, n*****" with every kill, while taking zero action when the reported individual was making a neutral statement of fact (e.g. "some moron scrawled the word 'n*****' all over the bathroom wall...").

Of course, that does open AoC up to misrepresentation from the idiotic press. IS may want to play it safe in this ridiculously infantile political climate.