Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Land Rush

Will freeholds be in limited supply?

I keep thinking that if I do not start playing the moment the game goes live I might be shutout when trying to claim a freehold.  I guess it depends on:

1. number of servers
2. number of freeholds per server
3. number of players per server
4. whether a given freehold can be owned by multiple players

In EQ2 a given house can be owned by hundreds (or even thousands) of different players.

If a given freehold can only be owned by one player I keep thinking there will be a landed gentry class and a peasant class.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018

no land rush

Basically you can have a house in NA and one in EU, but if you have a freehold in NA you can't have a freehold in EU.
  • Options
    Also to get to Stage 3 which is the Village stage where the ability to place freeholds in that particular node takes a few days. People will not be logging on at launch and running to a spot they found during testing and plopping down a freehold. There is a process, likely to be expensive, especially for a new player, where they have to acquire the deed to place a freehold from the node town. Throw on top of it that early nodes of level 3 and 4 will be sieged quite often in the beginning, people that just try to "land rush" will find their hard effort going poof when put to the torch by a successful raid on their home node. More to be revealed in testing next year, but the concern of other people taking all the best spots, with what we know of the size of the world map and how things work, is minimal at best.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    i take back my advice, scroll below if you want to see why:)
  • Options
    If I put down a freehold and other people come live right next to me do I become a village? Or do I have to give them permission to live right next to me? If I don't give them permission will we become a village of freeholds? What I'm saying is, "Stop moving in next to me!"
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @sunfrog they said that there will be sufficient space between freeholds so that people aren't stacking them. We will just have to wait and see what they think is "sufficient." "proximity zones to other plots"

@skearn they have said that the window for attacking/destroying freeholds will be the same as the window for the siege. Right now that is at two hours and will be adjusted during testing if it is too short or too long. Also, if a node is deleveled from 3 to 2, all player structures will be "packed up." People are not going to be able to place a node at level 3, have it knocked down to below that and if they don't get attacked, be able to continue on without paying taxes and such. Death and taxes, just like IRL, you aren't getting away.
  • Options
    Well it's probably better for players to hold off with freeholds and just try to grab housing in a node they plan to settle in :3
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    If I put down a freehold and other people come live right next to me do I become a village? Or do I have to give them permission to live right next to me? If I don't give them permission will we become a village of freeholds? What I'm saying is, "Stop moving in next to me!"
    There is a minimum distance between plots so no building villages

Will freeholds be in limited supply?

I keep thinking that if I do not start playing the moment the game goes live I might be shutout when trying to claim a freehold.  I guess it depends on:

1. number of servers
    2. number of freeholds per server
    3. number of players per server
    4. whether a given freehold can be owned by multiple players

In EQ2 a given house can be owned by hundreds (or even thousands) of different players.

If a given freehold can only be owned by one player I keep thinking there will be a landed gentry class and a peasant class.

1:  No known number at present
    2:  1 per account
    3:  8-10K concurrent players (no idea on if/what hard caps is)
    4: No, it is owned by 1 person (but multiple people can onw it)

And no, the freeholds don't make the rich and peasants, that's the in-node housing.  There are only 5 Metropolis per server, and ONLY the houses that appear at the village stage (3) go to the mansion state.  Mansions are what make people flash that bling.   
  • Options
    Look at the early Freehold videos and you will get some idea of spacing between plots.
  • Options
    @sunfrog they said that there will be sufficient space between freeholds so that people aren't stacking them. We will just have to wait and see what they think is "sufficient." "proximity zones to other plots"

@skearn they have said that the window for attacking/destroying freeholds will be the same as the window for the siege. Right now that is at two hours and will be adjusted during testing if it is too short or too long. Also, if a node is deleveled from 3 to 2, all player structures will be "packed up." People are not going to be able to place a node at level 3, have it knocked down to below that and if they don't get attacked, be able to continue on without paying taxes and such. Death and taxes, just like IRL, you aren't getting away.
    oh wow i missed that info completely o.o thx for that:D
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    skearn said:

oh wow i missed that info completely o.o thx for that:D

Sooooo, dos anybody have any information on how items will be sold? 

IE: FF!4 had a market board that you walked clicked on to view items for sale
    ULtima online had the best feature, land plots could house vendor NPCs where people had to come to your house to buy goods, this actually made exploring a viable feature since it forced people to find the best vendors.'

If steven is reading this, i truly hope you make NPC vendors at houses, this forces people to explore the landscape and the ability to create recall runes so people can teleport back to their fav vendors. By far the best market system for a sandbox style MMO. Using a market or market house style forces people to stay in towns which makes the landscape empty.

Edit: people in my discord said there will be vendors, but how does it work if the node is destroyed? is there insurance? do they return to you? can they loot vendors? 
  • Options

Sooooo, dos anybody have any information on how items will be sold? 

IE: FF!4 had a market board that you walked clicked on to view items for sale
    ULtima online had the best feature, land plots could house vendor NPCs where people had to come to your house to buy goods, this actually made exploring a viable feature since it forced people to find the best vendors.'

If steven is reading this, i truly hope you make NPC vendors at houses, this forces people to explore the landscape and the ability to create recall runes so people can teleport back to their fav vendors. By far the best market system for a sandbox style MMO. Using a market or market house style forces people to stay in towns which makes the landscape empty.

Edit: people in my discord said there will be vendors, but how does it work if the node is destroyed? is there insurance? do they return to you? can they loot vendors? 
    There is an area in all nodes where people can rent market stalls or plots to place one. They even showed some art of one in todays livestream. You will stock it with your goods for the set time period of the rental. They have not clarified what happens to those items, but since we know you can't loot housing items, and there is a system where stuff is packed up and mailed to you if lost during a siege or due to inactivity, expect similar results. They have not ruled out people being able to hire vendors for their in-node houses, they have said that there will be an option for that in freeholds. Innkeeper/chef npc was specifically mentioned to sell the various foodstuff buffs that will be available from inns if the owner has stocked them.

As to recall runes, not going to happen. They have been very clear on a extremely limited fast travel system. Teleportation is just not going to be a thing. Most likely you will have to make notes or be able to mark map pins on you personal map for stuff you want to save. Freeholds are meant to be small oases of safety in the open world, where you can recharge, restock, and renew. There is no plan so far to allow player cities, you will not see stuff like this where people have clumped everything to make player "cities" unless they have changed the concept and not told anyone. 

• Options
    I, too, am hoping for NPCs to sell items from my Freehold.  I just hope the stall rental mechanic is not like Age of Wu Shu.
  • Options
    interesting, thx for the post USE. explains a alot.

Seems limiting for players who want to sell items in the city, basically first come first serve?
  • Options
    interesting, thx for the post USE. explains a lot.

Seems limiting for players who want to sell items in the city, basically first come first serve?
  • Options
    *please no recall stones*
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    I shall second this :3
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    Azathoth said:
    but this will mess with cohaagen its the only way to be totally sure ^^
  • Options
    On a related note concerning land availability, there will be 120 km2 in the world during Phase 2 of Alpha 1 and ~480 km2 at the launch of the actual game.  I assume this is the amount of land/surface water as displayed on a map.  I assume this does not include instances such as underground dungeons or ocean.

Is 480 km2 a lot?  I realize it is ~22 km x 22 km or 13.5 x 13.5 miles.  It would take a person approximately 4.5 hours to walk 13.5 miles.  At an average gallop a horse would need ~30 to 35 minutes - not that a real horse would ever gallop 35 minutes non-stop.

I have only played one MMO game at launch.  That was ESO.  It seemed like a huge world at launch to me, but I do not know how many km2 it was supposed to be.

• Options
    it's large, Alpha 0 was reportedly the size of Skyrim
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I mentioned above that the map with be 480 km2.

I heard today on a YouTube video (Dungeon Crawler Network) that there will be another 100 km2 underground.  Not sure if that means open world underground or dungeon instances or both.

So, there will be 580 km2 to explore.

(I am thinking I will eventually pay for a Alpha 2 pack.  I am not extremely interested in action combat enough for an Alpha 1 pack just to play around with that feature.)
  • Options
    Not sure if that means open world underground or dungeon instances or both.
    That additional 100 km² form the Underrealm, home of the Tulnar. So, it's open world.

• Options
    If I find a nice spot near a bridge I'm going to settle there, then someone else will kill me for the spot and so on. Is that what you mean? Same with islands. I want my own.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    If I find a nice spot near a bridge I'm going to settle there, then someone else will kill me for the spot and so on. Is that what you mean? Same with islands. I want my own.
    I have to agree if I see any house being built near me im going to burn them to the ground.
  • Options
    I think you can't PK a fellow citizen, and for him to be building next to you he needs to be a citizen within the same ZoI =P
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    I think you can't PK a fellow citizen, and for him to be building next to you he needs to be a citizen within the same ZoI =P
    I can try!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:
    Santy182 said:
    I can try!
    Cue Nagash going to the border of the neighbor’s property line and just repeating “/rude” on an endless macro.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    Santy182 said:
    I can try!
    Cue Nagash going to the border of the neighbor’s property line and just repeating “/rude” on an endless macro.
    Give me a /getofmylawn macro instead
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    Santy182 said:
    I can try!
    Give me a /getofmylawn macro instead
    Get off my lawn. More relevant to Ashes than any other emote.