Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New Nvidia GPU - Ray Tracing

Nvidia just dropped the Turing RTX GPU this week.  The major innovation for this GPU is Ray Tracing, which is a game changer.  Read up on it, it's sick.  Total paradigm shift for computer graphics.

Here:  https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/13/jensen-huang-siggraph-turing-quadro-rtx/

And with that, we can expect the new gamer GPU cards to be announced in the next month or so.  Don't worry, Jensen specifically stated that Turing will be fully backwards compatible. 

Epic Games has a demo of Ray Tracing with Unreal Engine 4.  Here: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-games-demonstrates-real-time-ray-tracing-in-unreal-engine-4-with-ilmxlab-and-nvidia

Unreal 4 was an outstanding choice for so many reasons, but I digress.

Intrepid, Steven, ray tracing is the future.  I trust you are all over it!!!  Take us to the next level.  

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmmmmmmm put a deposit down on a Ford Mustang or get the RTX 8000….decisions , decisions.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Hmmmmmmmmm put a deposit down on a Ford Mustang or get the RTX 8000….decisions , decisions.
    or 8 warlord titans ^^
  • Options
    Nvidia force feeding propriety tech as per usual, tessellation/hair works 2.0

wont be mainstream for 2 GPU user generations and will make development teams have a higher workload utilisition split between high end and everyone else.

To be expected from the monopolistic market dominance and mind share Nvidia has.

Can't say I blame them but without completion Nvidia will milk consumers for every cent.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Very interesting, more options & opportunity. Guess we can already speculate what Ashes of Creation's Highest Graphics would be ... but ... I honestly never did like the overly Glossy-texture.

I know the point of this advancement is showing that they found a way to do it via its best represented by Reflections ... but i just don't like the Gloss look. But then again, maybe other video representations would have to be seen before saying anything ... say ... an Open World Environment perhaps ?  ;)
  • Options
    But from what I've read I doubt you can play a game with Ray tracing using one of nvidias new cards. They support it, but to get reasonable fps you will need a lot more I think
  • Options
    Gamer GeForce RTX cards just announced.  $499 and up :)

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/10-years-in-the-making-nvidia-brings-real-time-ray-tracing-to-gamers-with-geforce-rtx

Great price point for Ray Tracing.  These will sell like hotcakes. 

@Whocando - Nvidia has always catered to the gaming market, they love gamers.  Yes, prices got out of hand when crypto miners started soaking up all the inventory, but that was reseller pricing, not Nvidia pricing. 

Nvidia FTW.

• Options
    Just pre-ordered the 2080, can't wait, upgrading from dual 770's. Don't think it's actually much more work for dev teams, especially with a popular engine. Mostly should be a matter of turning off fake lights with RTX enabled and letting the card work it's magic.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    A Ford Mustang with the RTX 8000 installed for the center console display screen sounds like the best choice really.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'll be surprised if it isn't another paper launch with limited inventory and retail price gouging from 3rd party retailers. Nvidia's   "founders" edition aka reference card premium.

What this launch has done however has annihilated all resale value of previous gen cards primarily in the block chain crypto mining segment.

There is going to be a glut of used* cards as farmers try to recoup outlay spending. Good for used buyers and a reprieve from the over inflated pricing we've experienced for about 2years.

What's the price hike now? paying high end coin for mid range silicon. Or soaring passed the $1000 GPU threshold.

Nvidia have been catering to the AI market, there is more money in self driving cars then gamers. high end hardware is not mainstream it is less than 1% of the actual gaming* segment. (steam charts)

Look it's impressive and glossy, and it will be interesting to see the likely performance penalty in real world benchmarks, whether or not flicking the raytracing switch is actually of benefit to the everyday user or work effective for the developers.

you won't see an RTX card for $499

• Options
    I picked up a RTX 2080. I had been saving for quite a while and had the cash on hand. No reason to wait. It will be quite the replacement to the GTX 970!
  • Options
    Mazikar said:
    I picked up a RTX 2080. I had been saving for quite a while and had the cash on hand. No reason to wait. It will be quite the replacement to the GTX 970!

Holy moly! I think it's time you started buying the ale around here!

ps - gz ;)

• Options
    @Whocando

NVidia is in a position where they are basically the only player in their category.

Many companies (read: Intel) would sit and do nothing at all when in this position.

NVidia, however, are still continually building next generation parts. They are - without any assistance - pushing the gaming industry forward via creating new hardware technology and then assisting game developers in making use of it.

In fact, NVidia have been pushing PC technology like this for several years. You could run a modern game on a 6 year old CPU without an issue - but you could not do so on a 6 year old GPU simply because GPU's have improved and CPU's have not.

You seem like the kind of person that would complain regardless of if NVidia didn't or did not introduce any new technology with this release.
  • Options
    I have a GTX1080ti

however I am aware of how Nvidia got to it's position...it's not without throwing a lot of shade.

The 'assisting' of developers could also be interpreted as bullying in some scenarios.

Much of their pushing the boundaries has come about by swallowing competition and their patents and forcing a proprietary system of products that are inherently anti consumer. This has resulted in the average price/cost of square mm silicon going up exponentially.

Intel held the CPU industry back on 2 to 4 core cpus and single thread tasking for a decade until they buckled under their own stagnation.

the reason ray tracing is now a thing is because the rasterization process was the lost  cat in the bag. they also held back asynchronous compute back and falsely advertised the capability to do so.

and AMD realized trying to compete at the high end GPU market isn't profitable. So they aren't and shifted focus/resources to the more lucrative CPU market.

History has shown that even when the completion make a superior product, Nvidia's Brand still beats it.

that's why we are now paying high end prices for mid range products comparably. And the high echelon can be sold for whatever the heck they can get away with.

look its cool technology, but it isn't new. It's just old tech wrapped in Nvida green tape and locked down.

How it will effect actual performance is all I care about, and whether or not its just gimpworks with gloss.

I am not complaining, just being honest.

• Options
    Whocando said:
    Nvidia force feeding propriety tech as per usual, tessellation/hair works 2.0

wont be mainstream for 2 GPU user generations and will make development teams have a higher workload utilisition split between high end and everyone else.

To be expected from the monopolistic market dominance and mind share Nvidia has.

Can't say I blame them but without completion Nvidia will milk consumers for every cent.
    Ray-tracing is not propriety tech. It will be bundled in DirectX 12 and Vulkan and AMD will be able to use it. It's also not a Nvidia tech it's just a rendering tehcnique using a certain algorithm. Nvidia have created a new type of core to do this very well that's all.
  • Options
    Yes it will be interesting to see how the AMD offerings handle the focus on raytracing as i believe it was a selling point for Vega.

Still waiting for more dx12/vulcan support, I wonder whats holding back adoption...hmmmm

non proprietary perhaps, But if you don't think Nvidia is trying to corner the market with a walled garden approach is folly.

the RTX line up offers some of the worst price to performance in a GPU launch ever. with over a month pre order lol

Smart money is buy 10 series cards now. and waiting for the raytracing to hit the general public next gen @ 7nano meter.

Non shill tech press pretty much expects the RTX line up to be a very short lived generation and better off skipped.

• Options
    AdoredTV Nvidia RTX breakdown and analysis. I recommend subscribing to this guys channel, if you value an honest opinion on technology and the tech press. He deserves more attention.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2o_FpNM4g&t=1407s

• Options
    I hate to say this but Ray Tracing is not new, even the incredibly slow platform of Second Life makes use of it, and has since about 2010.

The bow action in Skyrim used ray tracing as well.
  • Options
    Just looked and even my Radeon R9 290x supports ray tracing.  I think NVidia is hyping buzzwords again.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    i think the hype about RTX is not because of RTX itself, since RTX exists for long already, but that the graphic cards are now able to handle it physicly, with a dedicated core or something, instead of processing it on a software basis, while still having full capacity for the normal "workflow" of rendering

so basically you could enjoy the awesomeness of RTX while still being able to make full use of your graphics card, without giving up on resources of other components like cpu load for example

thats how i understood it at least

• Options
    dmgavin said:
    I hate to say this but Ray Tracing is not new, even the incredibly slow platform of Second Life makes use of it, and has since about 2010.

The bow action in Skyrim used ray tracing as well.
    Its not a new idea nor is this the first implementation, but being playable in realtime without so much artifacting is pretty new. Even a gtx 1080ti struggles with raytracing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl-mn97X33k
  • Options
    It shouldn't be too hard for dev's, Nvidia let's you up lode some code, they run it trough their supercomputers and give you back code that you need to  implement  for Ray tracing. The effort/reward is totally worth it and the game is future proof. As said before, other UE4 games already did this .. It's a no Brainer. Although I won't have use forfor it with my 1070 :) 
  • Options
    Ultimately it'll come down to implementation, like everything else really. With a 2080ti Shadow of the tomb raider often goes down to 30fps at 1080p while battlefield 5 seems to handle it at 1080p better.
  • Options
    I want to SLI 2080 Ti's
    Ultimately it'll come down to implementation, like everything else really. With a 2080ti Shadow of the tomb raider often goes down to 30fps at 1080p while battlefield 5 seems to handle it at 1080p better.
    From what I understand Shadow is an unfinished game being plays on new drivers and GPUs