Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would you rather the EU version be delayed in order to get another publisher?

Dear Community,

Despite my time here I do believe this is the first topic I've ever started, but felt compelled to do so having witnessed, in my opinion, the darkest day in Ashes' short history. I've never been a part of a gaming community that has gathered such momentum before the product is even released and I think the Alpha 1 livestream got everyone excited. Today though, I saw folks that I met here over a year ago shaken to the core with the revelation that the EU region would be published by my.com.

I decided to do this poll so that players from all regions had an opportunity to voice their concerns so that such feedback is easily collated in one place rather than having multiple threads of angst and discontentment. I urge everyone who partakes in it to kindly justify their choice objectively so that Intrepid studios can appreciate the strength of feeling regarding this issue. Remember that this is not solely an EU issue as my biggest fear is that this announcement will drive away prospective players who won't know Steven and his team well enough to "trust" his decision. Such negativity from within and the wider community could have a detrimental effect on the sustainability of Ashes across all regions.

One final thing from me. I'd like to thank @GMSteven personally for attending the Q&A in discord earlier today. It took balls for him to do what he did and meet us all in VC where he could be shot down at anytime. His passion for this project is undeniable but I would advocate that this is equally true of everyone who was in that channel with him.    

Thank you for taking the time to participate. :)

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Guys, I'm gonna speak from the heart here (and not from the Dwarf.) ;)

I live in rural Iowa.  Other than the fact that my mother was born in the EU, I'm as far from the EU as you can get.  I've never heard of My.com before today. This issue wouldn't normally even hit my radar of awareness. 
    But let me tell you this, I've made so many friends on this forum from that side of the world, that seeing their distress over this business decision is stressing me out!

Ashes has created an incredible community simply because @GMSteven had a MMORPG dream and we believed in it.  I know that sounds a bit melodramatic, but it's true!  How else could the kickstarter be as successful as it was?  How could these forums and discord be as active as they have been for a game with no prior IP that isn't even available yet?  We all want Ashes to be great.

And I know that Steven wants us to have faith in this decision, to see how it all plays out...  and I personally want to give him that credit.  But its understandably hard to put that faith up against known facts and first hand anecdotal evidence of My.com's past practices and history.  The European contingent of our growing family is justifiably in turmoil over this. 

As @Kratz suggests, this is a problem for all of us - not just those who may have to use the My.com service. This is the first major negative incident in what has been a unprecedented track record of progress for Intrepid.  How they address this situation is going to affect perceptions going forward in all future matters. 

But even more importantly than PR matters, at least more importantly to me, is that I just want my EU friends to have the best experience possible in Ashes - as I hope to have for myself.  Even if I never get a chance to play with any of the friends I've made on here personally. 

Isn't that the chance we want for everyone? 
  • Options
    If they can go from proclaiming ideals like no p2w and self-publishing, and pre-sell the game with this assumption, then go around and publish EU with a company like My.com, as well as region lock, then they are just like any other company: stock holders first before players. Will Oceana and SEA be safe? How can we trust intrepid after this?
  • Options
    It's a case of strange bedfellows by association, Irrespective of the contract. I have witnessed the "no P2W' tag slapped on every questionable decision to the point where it is losing its proclaimed value regardless of whether or not it is even relevant to the primary issue.

I live in Australia so server location is paramount to my user experience.

So when I see uproar by my European gamer compatriots in regards to localised publishing I take note.

This seems to be a very very very bad idea.

I don't want to think that my subscription or even cash shop purchases financially support a 3rd party company with a history and track record so questionable to  disestablish an entire gaming region. whether direct or indirectly.

It's feels like going out to a fine meal but knowing the chef has bad hygiene habits.

ya done goofed vibes

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I am from NA, Will not be supporting this game at any point if they go through with the my.com partership.

They ruined Revelation Online, Skyforge, Warface, and Armored Warfare. 

I had high hopes for this game, but I will not for a single second support any game that chooses to work with them. Please reconsider.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm rather indifferent and dispassionate on the issue, and I believe that a robust contract could probably prevent any issues with My.com and Mail.ru. However, the EU community is rather emotionally charged on the issue and might not be soothed by even the most ironclad of contracts and guarantees.

This is now a PR issue more than anything else. The publishers in question are not just viewed as a risk, but appear to be viewed with actual hatred by many members of the European community. The community can not be placated on the issue, and any attempt to do so may just be a waste of time.

I'd certainly support a delay in the European release in order to see AoC self-published globally. Hell, I'd happily support a delay for release in all regions in order to accommodate that goal.

I'd much rather see IS delay the release of AoC than see a timely release of AoC with several problems.
  • Options
    I'm not going to vote because I think this is something the EU community should rally for. I would hate to say delay the release for a different publisher only to find out later that publisher failed the community.

What I will do is not complain or moan during release when NA servers are overwhelmed do to a lack of playing on EU servers.

I would vote against server lock, regardless of where you play you should be able to pick a server of your choice. I play late, so sometimes EU servers allow me to make better long term friends.

In the end I want what's best for the EU community, but I can not speak as if I know what that is.

#IsupportEU
  • Options
    I am a long time gamer. I've tried games from all over the world. MY.com is one I have had the misfortune to have played games with.

It ... was bad. Pay to Win. Poor customer service... if they responded at all. Gimmicks, special bonuses, lottery box type deals.

I am a bit laid back most of the time. If a game is fun I can give alot of slack. MY.com went way past my limit. If they were hosting the finest, most outstanding game to have ever existed. As soon as I saw MY.com... nope. Bye-bye. 

Another pointed this out but I am going to reinforce it. There will be people who were not part of this. Who come after the game is going. Many of those will see MY.com and write it off as a P2W game without ever trying it. Those people will never know about the iron clad contract. (If there is one) Just their reputation.
  • Options
    I'm in California and I have no experience with these publishers but I don't want to see the EU players bounce so I'm going to support them. 
  • Options
    Yes maybe Steven should be careful. For example, there is much potential, to hold a game down, low, back... bad support...slow it out.. etc. Who know`s why some things in the gaming branche happen..( In the end, it's about a lot of money ); better you guy`s look for an other publisher. Be wise.
    Look and study well where you sign! ...

• Options
    Considering there's probably zero chance for Intrepid to switch to another publisher or self-publish anymore the question is rather hypothetical. The contract is signed and sealed. We're doomed to play the wait game, but at least it's nice to know we're waiting for the same release date together with our supportive NA friends <3
  • Options
    Now. The way I voted is slightly off. I would presume Intrepid cannot technically change publishers on a whim yet. The question is; Will My.com/Mail.Ru be anywhere near the Alpha's? If they are, and they stuff up like people in the EU think they will, and they have proven they can in the past, then it will be early on and before official launch, i would then presume it would null their contract with Ashes due to issues. I for one am glad they have mentioned it at all, and this early considering they didn't have to at all really.
    I WOULD BE ALL FOR THE RELEASE BEING POSTPONED IN EU IF AND ONLY IF A VAST MAJORITY (Like 80%+ of the the EU community agree that they wouldn't mind the delay... which could be a long time).
    <3 to all in EU from OCE. (Who don't have a publisher atm LOL)
  • Options
    I am expecting +300ping alpha testing in Australia. So my testing will basically see how badly high ping effects the action combat.
  • Options
    looking at the votes , yakss it's scarry.
  • Options
    beyond89 said:
    You could say that, but you could also say the results are indifferent. Not many have responded and from those that have, hardly anyone is from the EU. Maybe It's down to the hypothetical nature of the scenario/questions as it is a done deal as far as we're concerned. Nevertheless, the aim was to show a strength of feeling regarding the partnership with my.com and to see whether the EU community in particular would embrace a delay, since a global release seemed to be a major factor in IS not self-publishing in EU. You can draw your own conclusions from the results thus far. Cest la vie. :) 
  • Options
    beyond89 said:
    yeah its way worse than I thought the community is not happy 
  • Options
    50k packages sold.....100 clicks on forum. Now I know that polling is not an exact science, but I think you need a bigger sample.
  • Options
    Yep, that's 69% of EU voters who would rather wait.
  • Options
    Unfortunately rule 17. a contract is a contract is a contract.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Yep, that's 69% of EU voters who would rather wait.
    I do hope steven sees this. I know its too late but I still want him to see it
  • Options
    I don’t know anything about my.com, but the overwhelming opposition to them publishing AoC in the EU should not be ignored. I feel that @GMSteven should seriously consider a different option even if it means a delay. 
  • Options
    The last MMO i played actively was Revelation Online published by My.com.
    I´ve sworn to myself that AoC will be the last MMORPG ever in my life to play.
    My intention supporting the game was simply the hope in AoC being the Game-Changer for the whole Genre.

I dont want to be melodramatic, but i dont understand why they had to choose my.com.

Long time ago i made a Video about exactly that topic, it almost feels like a weird Flashback... i even put my.com in the first seconds of it, because i was 100% sure that this would never ever be a topic again in my entire life lul.

We will have to wait, hope and see what happens. But im already pretty damn sure, that my.com reputation will hurt this game.

The first seconds make me cry lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaYMH8aEnP4
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    From EU , more than happy with delay if it meant no Mail.ru.  Prefer self publish but happy if any other publisher than Mail.ru.

I'm normally happy to give companies a chance and base each project on it's on merits but after being burned 3 times by Mail.ru projects it pretty clear the rot is at every level.

They have no idea when it comes to gaming and have left a trail of broken projects that could have been much more profitable for them and for gamers.

Instead you have  company that
      - treats its player base like shit
      - does not protect players data
      - does not provide adequate support( if you can get through to a human they are next to useless and know nothing about the game they are suppose to support or pcs in general
      - uses malware ( my launcher wants to communicate with the world 50+ countries 100s of connections ) but get told there is no issue by Mail.ru
     - low quality of work, bugs remain years after release simple things like collision models being off never look at , audio bugs introduced because changing a sound effect that works is a priority, micro stutters introduced by updates 3 times in a row with the  updates been months apart , random disconnects reintroduced regularly.
     - Does not care about bots/hackers  except the money they may spend using phished CCs

And most relevant if it's only a publish only deal

- cannot run events and where the running joke is how many months it will take to get rewards and how many bugs this time
     - has no idea about marketing , read it's pretty much non existent and poorly targeted.

Sure if you had to find a partner because you couldn't self publish but why choose Mack the Knife ?