Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Interesting Development in the my.com debacle

Comments

• Options
    MinR said:
    No IP blocking  that mean people from Europe can play as well USA version ? If people can play legal USA version game no one play Europe version then what reason publish it to Europe with that publisher ? Even we get region lock it's super easy this day pass it with VPN.
    I don't see the point of playing an MMO full of lag and in a period of time where the majority of the population is sleeping..lol. Because that's what happens when you are in the EU and try to play on NA servers. That's worse than watching a movie with cam quality...yikes!!! But this only proves how desperate people are for a new quality MMO. They are willing to subject themselves to such horrendous conditions. But yeah, it's probably better than giving My.Scam access to your personal data xD
  • Options
    c0ug4r said:
    In all honesty for me that's nothing else than a PR move. I mean I won't blame Steven for showing the community that he really does care about our concerns and to deliver that message to my.com, but the contract is already signed. Thus I just don't see anything more concrete coming from this than underlining the promises we already have.

...as long as it helps bringing the community back to its senses ;)

@c0ug4r you should read this below

Santy182 said:
    news flash

• Options
    Atama said:
    But that’s the point of pledging to KS; you’re not buying a product, you’re giving money because you want some cool project to happen and the project gives you a reward to thank you.  It’s always a gamble, it’s not the same as buying something from a retail store.  If you regret your purchase then you made a mistake.

People who start KS projects have no requirement to return money to backers who ask for it and in many cases they just can’t.  Some will offer refunds to avoid bad PR but Intrepid isn’t one of those groups.
    Yep, i know all of this and agree 100%...
    I'm not new on KS concept but i join the project in may, so i've buy from the website, not at the KS. BTW, I did it because i believe in the project, and i still do for the NA servers ! But due of the language & latency, it's not an option for me to play on NA servers from EU... And the EU edition... Well... It will not be what was planed on the description before i pledge :) This is the very first time i loose my trust in a project before the final release, that's why too it's the very first time i want to refund. Knowing the My.com decision, i would not have pledge.

For every single project i've pledge for, the game release has always been different on what i expected, and it's pretty normal. So now i'm not waiting anything when i'm pledging a project. But in that case, i already know it will not work, because i've seen what my.com have done with some promising games. And there is no reason they'll change their strategy to make even more money.
    Anyway, if someone knows how to refund, i'm interested in. If there is no way, well... It will be my double punishement :)

(for god sake but why, WHY signing with My.com ?!? to save money ? It's like selling his soul to the Devil, trading the spirit of the game for somes $k/M :( )
  • Options
    Using My.com isn’t to save money.  It’s because the EU has new laws that basically make it impossible for a developer like IS to self-publish an online game there.  I guess the alternative may have been to delay an EU release for a year or so but I doubt that’d make people happier.
  • Options

• Options
    @c0ug4r you should read this below
    Read it earlier - always keeping me up to date ;) While it's good news that's pretty much what I expected because it's what Steven already gave us in Discord three days ago though of course it was something more along the line of 'likely no region lock' and 'patches and updates will be handed out by Intrepid' then. Important he made that definite.
    Absolutely admirable how he handles this situation between Gamescom and PAX. He's going to need some days off after all this turmoil.

The packaging of game client does not necessarily include the launcher, right?

• Options
    all of these news are starting to make me think that Intrepid will hold My.com to such a high standard that everything will be alright in the end anyway.

• Options
    Santy182 said:
    all of these news are starting to make me think that Intrepid will hold My.com to such a high standard that everything will be alright in the end anyway.

Agreed, I was really skeptical (and torn) at beginning but seeing Steven rise up the situation is raising my trust back up. Lets hope stuff he wants to convey soon is great.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:

Indeed ^^
  • Options
    c0ug4r said:

The packaging of game client does not necessarily include the launcher, right?

I hope it does because I played Skyforge once long ago (it looked pretty but was very boring) and that My.com launcher lingered on my system for a long time.  It wasn’t uninstalled when I removed the game.  It always felt suspicious to me, and that was even before I knew about the actual My.com shenanigans.
  • Options
    Well nice it seems he actually does care! Also I've heard a lot lately that it is very hard to self-publish in EU but why is that case?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Well nice it seems he actually does care! Also I've heard a lot lately that it is very hard to self-publish in EU but why is that case?
    New EU laws. Licensing for several countries. Multiple staffs and support for different languages. And of course building the infrastructure to connect to them all.

Its a lengthy process due to EU's inherent multi cultural barriers. Its not like NA where english is still predominently used and Communication lines easily established
  • Options
    Thanks @UnknownSystemError for the update.  I hope Steven will get to feeling better and give us more news, soon.
  • Options
    CobraKing said:
    came out this week so its the most up to date info we have
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I can picture the meeting now, as the meeting between Gandalf and Saruman.

I hope they don't lock Steven on top of their tower while they build an army of orcs.

Steven: "My.com" *bows*

After much quaffing of ale. And vodka...
    My.com: "You are sure of this? The community is perturbed over our involvement?"

Steven: "Beyond any doubt."

My.com: "So, the Hype Train has been derailed."

Steven: "All these long years it was in the Discord server and Forum, under my very nose."

My.com: "Yet you did not have the wit to see it. Your love of ArcheAge has clearly slowed your mind."

Steven: "But we still have time. Time enough to counter becoming another Revelation Online if we act quickly."

My.com: "Time?! What time do you think we have?"

[Steven and My.com take some vodka and confer in My.com's inner sanctum, amidst unanswered customer support tickets, cash shop items that offer numerous advantages, daubing of "LoL!" graffiti markings, and a few promo sheets declaring that My.com will NEVER be Pay2Win.]

My.com: "You did not seriously think that an independent studio could contend with the will of Cash Grab developers? There are none who can."

My.com: "Against the power of Pay2Win there can be no victory. We must join with it, Steven. We must use the cash shop for its end goal. It would be wise, partner."

Steven: "Tell me, 'partner', when did My.com the greedy abandon their tried and tested old ways to ensnare a Western MMO by changing their spots?!"

[With a shout, My.com calls security at Steven, throwing him up and pinning him against the far wall, then drops him heavily to the floor.]

You missed a bit in between.

Steven: Its my game! i get the final say. I AM IN CHARGE!

My.com:...
    Image result for do you feel in charge gif
  • Options
    edited August 2018

• Options
    Darunya said:
    My.com is not gonna change what he usually does
    Well, the fact that My.com is publishing a non-P2W game instead of a P2W game is already a long walk away from their comfort zone.

if My.com has the legal use of the game, it's still over.

My.com's role is limited to publishing the game in Europe. They are not a creative partner, nor are they an investor. They have zero input into the game itself.

There are issues in which I'd expect My.com to improve, such as customer service, data security, and server quality. But those are issues that Steven has discussed with My.com at length.

Everything outside of that is the studio's responsibility unless they surrender control over to the publisher. Steven was and is adamant that Intrepid Studios maintain complete creative control over the game, so unless there is a hostile take-over of IS, I see no reason for concern.

• Options
    For me, the answer to whether this will work or not lies in Intrepids communication with EU players.

If Intrepid take the same path that XL/Trion took with Archeage - Trion players interact with Trion staff who then try and convince XL to make changes specific to that version - then all is lost.

However, if Intrepid look at the whole population of the game in every region as a single entity, even with My.com as a publisher, there is little that can go wrong.

The way the EU is now, no one can independently publish there. This is simply a political issue. For companies with a product like this, there are *very* few options for publishers. If My.com are used simply as a vehicle to get in to the EU - basically give them money in order to allow Intrepid access to the region - then there is little harm they can do to the actual game.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:

So If i would use my account first at My.com, and the publisher f**ks it up, then will I be able to use my account again at Intrepid? Will this only be a one time choice? Or if I choose My.com, then I can't choose Intrepid anymore?
  • Options
    I just have a small question, since because my.com is not a company to trust in terms of payment, is it possible that you can buy cards on super markets and other places that contain a code and timr of subscription like it happens on other mmos that have pay2play models? Or is it all of this is handled online?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    toshito said:
    I just have a small question, since because my.com is not a company to trust in terms of payment, is it possible that you can buy cards on super markets and other places that contain a code and timr of subscription like it happens on other mmos that have pay2play models? Or is it all of this is handled online?
    Final payment options have not been defined, but there is nothing to stop you from getting a temporary visa or accepted credit credit card at a convenience store and filling it with cash similar to game-time cards. Ashes most likely will not have physical cards that you buy. You will instead need to avail yourself of other available options if you are that worried about using your regular account details.
    If you live a country that for whatever reason doesn't offer Visa or cards similar to gift cards, then talk to your bank. Mine offers limited one time Visas for such instances. The one time I asked about it the clerk looked at me like I was crazy and said "Why don't you just go to the convenience store, it is much easier?" 
  • Options

Steven
    Today at 2:54 AM

It will be possible to register with Intrepid, in order to play on NA servers. In which case, your account and billing info would be handled solely by Intrepid. My.com will be responsible, with collaboration from Intrepid, for EU accounts and servers.

• Options
    T-Elf said:

Steven
    Today at 2:54 AM

It will be possible to register with Intrepid, in order to play on NA servers. In which case, your account and billing info would be handled solely by Intrepid. My.com will be responsible, with collaboration from Intrepid, for EU accounts and servers.

:/ 
  • Options
    ! BCG - Lord of SaltToday at 2:54 AM
    @Steven Does that mean all current referrals will transfer over to My.com? 
    StevenToday at 2:55 AM
    @! BCG - Lord of Salt yes
  • Options

Steven
    Today at 2:55 AM

@[Checkmate]Kalez the results of my discussions in Amsterdam will be posted by my.com today or tomorrow

• Options

! [!MP] DeathsProxy
    Today at 2:55 AM

What about potential EU to NA transfers in the future?

StevenToday at 2:56 AM
    @!  [!MP]  DeathsProxy it may be possible in the future, but not intended for release

StevenToday at 2:58 AM
    It is simply a database migration issue. It’s certainly possible, and will very likely be available at some point post launch
  • Options
    So for alpha 1 we’ll have to use my.com launcher to play EU ? 
  • Options
    you won't be "playing" during alpha 1 you will be testing. The game you will see during Alphas will not be a good representation of the game everyone will play on release.

And I doubt there will even be an EU server for Alpha 1 Intrepid will most likely keep everything inhouse for most if not all of the testing. I believe My.com won't come into play until much later in development if not at release.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Santy182 said:
    you won't be "playing" during alpha 1 you will be testing. The game you will see during Alphas will not be a good representation of the game everyone will play on release.

And I doubt there will even be an EU server for Alpha 1 Intrepid will most likely keep everything inhouse for most if not all of the testing. I believe My.com won't come into play until much later in development if not at release.
    Uhh yea semantics.. it’s a play test no? It’s a game I’ll be playing to find bugs but good effort buddy.  It’s not my first alpha ;)