Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Interesting Development in the my.com debacle

13»

Comments

• Options
    you sure make a good attempt at making it look like it is =)
  • Options
    I thought it was a fair question? I’ve seen it said intrepid will handle the client but also that my.com will. Just looking for some clarification as it’s only a few weeks away ( potentially) :smiley:  
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    And I doubt there will even be an EU server for Alpha 1
    According to information that was gathered at the Cologne meeting yesterday by our glorious German community <3 over at Ashestalk.de (transcript of their interview) my.com servers will probably be available in Alpha 1 Phase 2.

• Options

Weird, that info is nowhere to be found in the transcript you linked, or in the video, they posted in the AOC discord, perhaps you are referring to a different interview?

In that interview, he only mentions that there will be several servers for the different Eu communities, but never mentions whether those will be for any of the testing phases. in fact, the word alpha is not even in the transcript at all.

• Options
    Santy182 said:

Weird, that info is nowhere to be found in the transcript you linked

Oh, I'm sorry I mixed that up. I asked that question in the corresponding forum and @Aquiel answered it after the Cologne meetup. I could link you there, but it's all German ;)
    We got that question answered yesterday. We'll probably be able to play on European my.com servers with phase 2 of Alpha 1
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    mistake
  • Options
    c0ug4r said:
    Santy182 said:

Oh, I'm sorry I mixed that up. I asked that question in the corresponding forum and @Aquiel answered it after the Cologne meetup. I could link you there, but it's all German ;)
    We got that question answered yesterday. We'll probably be able to play on European my.com servers with phase 2 of Alpha 1
    well I'm not going to take his word for it and neither should you. if the eu guys end up having a Test server over there well that's great. I'm just saying until you get that info from an official source you shouldn't get your hopes up.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    c0ug4r said:
    Santy182 said:

well I'm not going to take his word for it and neither should you. if the eu guys end up having a Test server over there well that's great. I'm just saying until you get that info from an official source you shouldn't get your hopes up.
    They did indeed say that starting with A1P2 that there would be two test servers with 5k population each. This answers the question of were they going to open A1 later in the process to more sales. A1P1 10k people on one server, later in the process they will split them. The only reason to do that would be to test regional. Then again, this most likely will be clarified during the PAX panel timeline release on September 1st.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    well I'm not going to take his word for it and neither should you.
    I have no reason to doubt their words. They did the interview and caught a lot of information on the side. But UnknownSystemError is right - just a few days till PAX and we certainly have more detailed information.
  • Options
    Cheers c0ug4r that’s why I asked in this thread as there has been some good info in here, rather than somebody’s guess/opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Santy182 said:
    c0ug4r said:
    Santy182 said:

Well I've personally asked the question about the EU servers for alpha 1 and yes, I trust the answer I got ;) .

By the way ... I was the one doing the interview at the Gamescom Meetup.
  • Options
    Aquiel said:
    Santy182 said:
    c0ug4r said:
    Santy182 said:

Well I've personally asked the question about the EU servers for alpha 1 and yes, I trust the answer I got ;) .

By the way ... I was the one doing the interview at the Gamescom Meetup.
    Nice!

Was there anything else at the interview that was notable?
  • Options
    Depends on what you would define as "interesting".

Here is the transcript for the first 10 questions I've asked:

When you say no region locking or IP blocking, does this refer to all regions? Or does is just refer to EU, RU or NA?

Currently that refers to regions that are territories in our license agreement with mydot.com and mail.ru which is Europe and Russia as it relates to our North American service as well. However, moving forward, should we announce additional strategic partners for foreign territories, it would be a red line for us as well not to allow for any region locking or IP blocking.

2. When I play on EU-Server and change to NA-Server, will I lose my unlimited subscription?

No, you will not. As it stands currently we’ll be making an announcement Monday. I went to Amsterdam yesterday and sat down at mydot.com headquarters with their team and we came to an announcement we make Monday which states that a player may choose to migrate their account from mydot.com to intrepid studios should they wish, additionally if they own a package from either kickstarter or summer backers they can migrate that package over to mydot.com registration as well.

3. Will there be damage numbers like in most of the far eastern games (far over 1000) or will there be lower ones?

There will likely be lower numbers, we don’t see the need to have these enormous numbers that really start to loose meaning, that seems to be an innate design issue with other games as they try to balance the damage output in pvp and pve, but our design allows for a more manageable damagage protocol for pve and pvp to be shared, and those damage protocols relate more to lower numbers.

4. Will there be one server for the whole European community or separate server for each country (Germany, Spain, France and so on)?

There will be separate servers [For each country?] There’s localization that will be present in the German/French/Russian languages to start, and then we tend to localize also in Italian, Polish and Spanish, so servers will be allocated within the region as being one of those language type servers, so it’s not gonna be per country per se as it might be per language.

5. Do you have plans to integrate chats for each different language?

You will be able to separate them. That’s built in our UI. Intrepid studios created localization tools that allow for the ease of access on your side of the chat window per se, that you can quickly change between things in game.

6. Will there be a gear treadmill? In my opinion it's frustrating to know that the gear I farmed for months or had to run a dungeon 100 times until it dropped for me will be useless in the next expansion, because the level cap will be increased and new better gear will be introduced.

A lot of what we experienced in games that came before us is that many things are account bound and soul bound to your character. The way that they then force players to relive the same content over and over mindlessly until you just want to shoot yourself is not what we want in the game( haha). So instead, very little gear is character bound. You will get quest related gear as reward, but it won’t be one set in one dungeon so you would have to run the dungeon over and over again. Instead we want to really emphasize the reliance on the economy and tractors and gatherers and processors to support the majority of the gear structure in game combined with that of world-raid bosses and dungeon bosses, not a repetitive quest-line for a single dungeon.

7. Is a transmutation feature planned? (shifting a skin from one gear piece to another?)

Yes there is a transmod where you can change the appearance of items to different cosmetic appearances.

8. Do we get a list of all skills (for every class/subclass) before Beta testing starts?

I don’t’ wanna do that, I think discovery is an important part of the process in learning a game. I think those type of lists will be created but I like them to be created by the players and communities by discovering those things. I think that it is a fun experience for people who are first involved in the game to discover these things for themselves-

9. What plans do you have to support roleplaying? Emotes? Possibilities for character biographies? Social clothing?

We have plans for Emotes, and there will be roleplaying specific mechanics in place for certain building types you can have in your freehold or within the node itself. We have a very in-depth storyline and titlery that is capable for the player, you can even customize the player information on your unique character website page where you can have in-depth background stories your players can read about, you can have trade supplies that kind of describe what your history is. We must remember that MMORPG has RPG in it as well, that sometimes gets lost.

10. Is there anything else you want to tell to or share with the German community?

We love the German community, we believe it is one of our largest in Europe, actually. The German community has a rich history of being MMORPG lovers, more so than I think any other European country and the engagement of the German community in our community is something that really helps us moving forward because we get valuable feedback and we love hearing that.

And here is the original voice recording:

• Options
    I have complete faith in Steven Sharif, that he will follow through and keep the game no-p2w, especially with a EU publisher.  He is SO committed to making MMOs great again! He is also super smart and tough, and won't leave any loop holes in their contract.  :-)  <3
  • Options
    ^ that
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Nice Marketing move that does not change anything. The only semi good news is that Steven said that there will be no region locking and i guess that means that people can at least try american servers to avoid the my.com bullshit. But on the other hand Steven also said last year that they will be self publishing anywhere so also region locking may change if he feels like.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Draugris said:
    Nice Marketing move that does not change anything. The only semi good news is that Steven said that there will be no region locking and i guess that means that people can at least try american servers to avoid the my.com bullshit. But on the other hand Steven also said last year that they will be self publishing anywhere so also region locking may change if he feels like.
    Or if he’s forced into it.  Of course, Steven can only promise to try his best and and he can state what’s planned but some things you can’t control.  In this case it was go with another publisher or delay release in EU and it didn’t seem fair to make a huge chunk of the playerbase wait longer than another to get local servers.  I think he chose what seemed in the best interest of EU players.  That might not be the last time he has to compromise.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    yes no IP blocking means you will be able to play in any of the NA servers without having to give any of your information to My.com and with no need for any kind of proxy or VPN
    problem is, not all of us will be able to play on US servers due to distance. I get around 400ms to servers in US so that is just too much lag.