Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Business Model?

I seem to be having a hard time finding proper information about the business model of the game (or often times seemingly outdated), some say sub-based, others buy2play, some even claim it's going to be a free to play MMO. Then there are all those pre-order packages?..

Is the Business Model confirmed yet? If so, what is it?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know who claims otherwise but AoC will purely be subscription based.
  • Options
    Itll be Subscription based with no box price
  • Options
    Berinima said:
    I don't know who claims otherwise but AoC will purely be subscription based.
    Yep and there'll be no b2p.
  • Options
    Ugh, bummer. I hoped it would follow GW2's example. Can't say I'm interested in rentals..
  • Options
    and a cash shop with cosmetics only (no ingame advantage)
  • Options
    Digressio said:
    Ugh, bummer. I hoped it would follow GW2's example. Can't say I'm interested in rentals..
    well you can lower the subscription-fee if you have active refferals 

more infos here: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/referral-program/
  • Options
    leamese said:
    and a cash shop with cosmetics only (no ingame advantage)
    That should always be a no-brainer, it's a given so nothing to brag about for the devs.
  • Options
    Digressio said:
    Well I'd be more than happy to pay for it. Intrepid need to make sure it's worth paying for and that's fine with me.
  • Options
    i personally find sub-based models have been the best ever.
    All the games that were sub-based,
    actually were successful before free2play was a thing.
    Support was good, you had ingame gms and such. good times <3
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Well I'd be more than happy to pay for it. Intrepid need to make sure it's worth paying for and that's fine with me.
    I would be too if it wasn't an artificial obligation. The two MMOs I've played most in my life are League of Legends and Guild Wars 2, I can easily say that I've spend more than 200 bucks on each for cosmetics and expansions (probably far more than 200 tbh.), I feel that subscriptions are a thing of the past and should stay there.
    Give me freedom damnit! I want to be able to jump in and out of the pool without the need to refill it every so often.
  • Options
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    I would be too if it wasn't an artificial obligation. The two MMOs I've played most in my life are League of Legends and Guild Wars 2, I can easily say that I've spend more than 200 bucks on each for cosmetics and expansions (probably far more than 200 tbh.), I feel that subscriptions are a thing of the past and should stay there.
    Oh, that's fair enough. I've got no reason to counter your experiences on something so subjective. I've found that the MMORPGs with subs have always been the ones with the better overall quality in terms of gaming experience, support and fluidity of post-launch content. Hope you give the game a try regardless.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Oh, that's fair enough. I've got no reason to counter your experiences on something so subjective. I've found that the MMORPGs with subs have always been the ones with the better overall quality in terms of gaming experience, support and fluidity of post-launch content. Hope you give the game a try regardless.
    Well out of the 3 seemingly stronger MMORPGs out there (ESO, FF14 and GW2), 2 of them are b2p and they have been doing fairly well for years now.
  • Options
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Well out of the 3 seemingly stronger MMORPGs out there (ESO, FF14 and GW2), 2 of them are b2p and they have been doing fairly well for years now.
    Sorry you feel that way about subscriptions but I do understand. If you do have interest you could pay $15 for a month and go from there. At least if you don’t like it you would only be out $15. But...if not I hope you find what you are looking for at some point. 

• Options
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    GW2 also has a pay for pay for convenience store I can't talk about ESO as I have not played it
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    GW2 also has a pay for pay for convenience store I can't talk about ESO as I have not played it
    Well that is exactly the point, you buy the game which you can then play whenever you want or feel like it not worrying whether you've paid this month's rent and you also get the choice of spending some extra cash for cosmetics or other convenience products that are in no way shape or form required for progression in the game, that's what GW2 has done with their online store. Personally I never bought convenience items cause you get a plethora of them by playing anyway but I have spend a tone of cash on cosmetics which was purely my choice. In my opinion you get the best of both worlds with that sort of system.
    Never underestimate the sense of freedom, heck some people keep on living purely because of it.

In any case I will still give Ashes a chance but it will have to be massively impressive to hold me and I'm sure or rather - I know - that it will stop a lot of players from playing.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:

Well that is exactly the point, you buy the game which you can then play whenever you want or feel like it not worrying whether you've paid this month's rent and you also get the choice of spending some extra cash for cosmetics or other convenience products that are in no way shape or form required for progression in the game, that's what GW2 has done with their online store. Personally I never bought convenience items cause you get a plethora of them by playing anyway but I have spend a tone of cash on cosmetics which was purely my choice. In my opinion you get the best of both worlds with that sort of system. 
    Never underestimate the sense of freedom, heck some people keep on living purely because of it.

In any case I will still give Ashes a chance but it will have to be massively impressive to hold me and I'm sure or rather - I know - that it will stop a lot of players from playing.
    It does cut my interest in half though, it's often more exciting to research an upcoming game than actually playing it, oh well..
  • Options
    If Ashes stays true to no F2P or P2W, I will happily pay a 15$/month fee.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    If Ashes stays true to no F2P or P2W, I will happily pay a 15$/month fee.
    So would I but I have lifetime sub so... see you in game ^^
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I would have liked to see a box cost between $60-$99 with a $15-25 monthly sub fee. No Cash Shop at all.

This is supposed to be a AAA title. It belongs on the top shelf, not the clearance bin.
  • Options
    @nagash, me too :lol:
  • Options
    Dragnon said:
    I would have liked to see a box cost between $60-$99 with a $15-25 monthly sub fee. No Cash Shop at all.

This is supposed to be a AAA title. It belongs on the top shelf, not the clearance bin.
    Every AAA MMO I’ve played has some form of cash shop.  Even WoW has a limited one.  It’s the norm for top shelf games whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    Dragnon said:

Every AAA MMO that I’ve ever played has an equivalent of a cash shop, even WoW has a limited one.
  • Options
    Dragnon said:

Every AAA MMO I’ve played has some form of cash shop.  Even WoW has a limited one.  It’s the norm for top shelf games whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    Dragnon said:

• Options
    nagash said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Never underestimate the sense of freedom, heck some people keep on living purely because it.

In any case I will still give Ashes a chance but it will have to be massively impressive to hold me and I'm sure or rather - I know - that it will stop a lot of players from jumping on the train.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:

• Options
    nagash said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:

• Options
    nagash said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:
    Kratz said:
    Digressio said:

• Options

Déjà vu

• Options
    I think this thread has an echo.

echo

echo

echo