Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How did you wind up here?

As a point of curiosity, I'd be very interested in hearing the various stories of how all of us found our way into this community. Obviously, it can be as brief or as long winded as you'd like, but bear in mind that my intention behind this is nothing less than learning about each other, and possibly finding common threads. That said, as the guy putting this up, I'll go ahead and tell you what brought me here and why the timing.

Before a few days ago, I was vaguely aware of Ashes, and had more or less written it off due to the town siege stuff being what was hitting Youtube at the time I was looking. I saw how games like Conan Exiles and the like turned out, and have had a long enough history of dealing with griefers that it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

By chance one of the Youtubers I still afford some attention to did a video talking about, for lack of a better term, the life and times of the Everquest franchise. I had looked into Everquest 1 for quite awhile back in the day, but only played it briefly. Everquest 2 was where I stepped into the franchise, and had done so on launch day. My D&D gamemaster had encouraged us to take the plunge with him and to attempt our own personalized narrative campaign inside the game world. Sadly, he got so sucked in just playing the game that he kinda ditched the idea, and I joined one of the two RP servers shortly thereafter. Thus began my embarkation into MMO Roleplay, as well as my aspirations to go from one game to the next building fantastic digital homes, which eventually led to my obsession with Landmark years later.

The closed beta experience in Landmark was amazing. I loved it every step of the way, and people like Omeed and Georgeson made every one of us contributors feel like we were truly family. That would soon end, however, with the sale and subsequent dismantling of the lions share of SOE as they switched hands and became Daybreak Games. I followed Omeed to Blade and Soul for a stint, but had essentially lost track of the other persons of interest from SOE.

This brings us back to the Youtuber I mentioned. His video discussing what all became of Everquest including those working on Next led to him mentioning the fate of some of those staffers. That they came to work for a little known company called Intrepid. This video was posted two days ago, and that, my friends, is how I found my way here.

Comments

• I think I saw some unilad video about it back in jan 2017 about the promises and the kickstarter. Ever since then I've been backer!
  • I have been backing games on Kickstarter since 2012, so I like to check it every month for new things to back.  While I was on the new and trending part of Kickstarter, I saw ashes of creation. I watched the Kickstarter video and a was caught straight away, the music and the passion steven had was fantastic. I started to look into intrepid and steven and his team and after a few days after I became a braver of worlds backer. To this day I have only had one moment of trepidation in steven which was my.com but as of today my faith is back, and I look forward to ashes.
  • I thought I was buying groceries and took a wrong turn somewhere.  I still need eggs. :(
  • Atama said:
    I thought I was buying groceries and took a wrong turn somewhere.  I still need eggs. :(
    In the time-honored tradition of anime/rpgs everywhere:

"Where did you get those eggs?!"
  • I'd left ESO for a while and needed an MMO fix. I realised there was nothing new on the horizon that held much interest but a friend asked if I'd heard of AoC. After checking out a Lazy Peon vid I backed the game in KS and voila, here I am.
  • Kratz said:
    I'd left ESO for a while and needed an MMO fix. I realised there was nothing new on the horizon that held much interest but a friend asked if I'd heard of AoC. After checking out a Lazy Peon vid I backed the game in KS and voila, here I am.
    Lazy was one of the Youtubers I was watching last night.  :smile:
  • In all honesty I can’t remember how I found out about Ashes.  I think I saw someone talk about it and link to the project, I checked it out and liked what I read (especially the part about players influencing the world which I haven’t experienced since Star Wars Galaxies) so I pledged.
  • You were in galaxies? Those were the days, mm? I miss the dogfighting.
  • Lythawan said:
    You were in galaxies? Those were the days, mm? I miss the dogfighting.
    Jump to Lightspeed was my favorite expansion ever in any MMO.
  • Atama said:
    Lythawan said:
    You were in galaxies? Those were the days, mm? I miss the dogfighting.
    Jump to Lightspeed was my favorite expansion ever in any MMO.
    Hordes of the Underdark for me, if you count NWN as an MMO. Jump was certainly up there for me, though.
  • Watched a video from Open World Games youtube about a few upcoming MMOs and ashes was the only one that interested me. I looked up the kickstarter and could not stop laughing. The game was funded and this was for extra stuff after launch. I about died of laughter and threw my money at them.

I really hope IS can join the ranks of studios like Blizzard, Bethesda, CD Project Red, and Rockstar Games. Regardless of what anyone may think of some of these studios games, they are fantastic studios who are constantly setting or raising the bar on the way gamers should be treated by the industry.

Before anyone rages about the previously mentioned studios, I want you to list the times you were, or could GENUINELY claim you were scammed out of your money by any of those studios, or flat out lied to. I certainly can't come up with any of those times. I am not that big of a fan of Overwatch and prefer Skyrim and Fallout over Witcher.
  • and prefer Skyrim and Fallout over Witcher.
    That is blasphemous!!! :P
  • @whitedude31 All those companies have long and storied histories, and have done fine work, as you say. That said, none of them are faultless, either. I will never play ESO, because even though Zenimax was created by Bethesda, it still fell into the corporate greed culture of its publishing peers, and slowly undermined long-held stances within Bethesda, which culminated in the launch disaster of ESO, the game that, all the way back to the days of Morrowind, Bethesda said it never intended to make. Likewise, as a former Destiny/Destiny 2 player, I will never play Overwatch due to shady "player engagement" practices that have been patented by Activision, that are almost as revolting as EAs. Publishing houses outside of parent companies have lead to disaster after disaster, and that's why you see across the rest of this particular forum people concerned about the tie in to my.com. It's foolish to be trusting of these entities, but it is also foolish to believe that ties to them stop good games from happening by default either. As with most things in life, you just need to be patient and thoughtful, y'know?
  • @Kratz I never could enjoy the Witcher games. The controls may have improved as the series went on, but really, even in 3 they were cringeworthy for me. It makes me sad that I'll never be able to enjoy those games over a reason like that, but, y'know. There it is.
  • As a side note, I've played Elder Scrolls and Fallout since the dawn of time, so yeah, on board with @whitedude31 on that point.
  • Lythawan said:
    @Kratz I never could enjoy the Witcher games. The controls may have improved as the series went on, but really, even in 3 they were cringeworthy for me. It makes me sad that I'll never be able to enjoy those games over a reason like that, but, y'know. There it is.
    And I had such high hopes for you when you joined the community.....oh well. :D
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Before anyone rages about the previously mentioned studios, I want you to list the times you were, or could GENUINELY claim you were scammed out of your money by any of those studios, or flat out lied to. I certainly can't come up with any of those times. I am not that big of a fan of Overwatch and prefer Skyrim and Fallout over Witcher.
    Since I already mentioned SWG, I was flat-out lied to by SOE (and so were many people).

I was pretty active in the game community for that game.  I was in the second wave of the original beta and I was also picked as a beta tester for JtL.  I was heavily involved in discussion in the Teras Kasi forum (it was the unarmed combat profession) and at one time they voted for community representatives for each profession.  I didn’t get picked but I came in close (I think second place).

Anyway, shortly after they started working on something called the “Combat Upgrade”, an infamous term for anyone who was a player of the game back then.  The different combat professions were terribly unbalanced and combat itself was kind of a mess.  The plan was to revamp all of the combat professions, give them all something unique and useful and level the playing field.  5 players representing each combat profession were picked to join a special alpha test and give feedback on the changes, and I was picked to join the Teras Kasi group (of course).

We all gained access to a hidden discussion forum where the developers ran ideas past us and led discussions.  It was really cool and exciting.  They had things worked out very well and it all looked cool.  We were told we’d be able to test “soon” and meanwhile kept us apprised of planned changes.

But eventually the devs went silent.  They stopped posting anything and it was just us players chatting.  We wondered what was going on and when we’d get to test.  Weeks went by, then more than a month.

Suddenly they announced that they were releasing the new upgrade after extensive alpha testing (which never happened).  None of the cool stuff they proposed was in it.  Instead it just nerfed some professions.  There was no “upgrade”.  We were humiliated because the community was told we were testing this thing and representing them in doing so,  and what came out was garbage.  The suspicion was that they hurried to release a new expansion to coincide with Episode III which came out in theaters at the same time.

Soon after that was the huge revamp that changed the game into a class-based, level-based game, took out everything that made the game unique, and made it EQ2/WoW with lightsabers.  I had already quit before that though.

Anyway, yes the developers/publishers/whoever completely lied to everyone and crashed the game into a brick wall at the same time.  It was the worst experience I ever had as a gamer.
  • Saw kickstarter and decided to back since I have felt for long time MMORPG genre was stagnant (personal opinion), needing  something new and what AOC promised sounded like honey to my ears.

Been lurker here and on discord for while, but recently decided to against my nature and be more active.
  • Sonicfani said:

Been lurker here and on discord for while, but recently decided to against my nature and be more active.
    Always nice to have another envoy from the Wallflower Society. ^_^
  • I was searching for a new Facebook game to play and it gave me an ad for Ashes of Creation on Kickstarter. Glad it did. :smiley: This game is going to be good!
  • sunfrog said:
    I was searching for a new Facebook game to play and it gave me an ad for Ashes of Creation on Kickstarter. Glad it did. :smiley: This game is going to be good!
    Wait a minute... you're trying to tell me... Failbook is still actually *good* for something?!
  • I saw someone retweet something about it on twitter, and then I was hooked!
  • I was getting bored of most of the games I have and wasn't particularly interested in buying the ones available to me. I haven't played any MMOs since 2012, so I decided that would be a good time sink. I literally Googled "top MMORPGs of 2018", found some janky countdown lists and started doing some research. I say "some" but I spent about a month total comparing every MMO to one another. 

I was appalled. Most MMOs are crap, and have been crap, and probably will continue to be crap. This is the only one aside from Archeage or Guild Wars 2 that looked remotely interesting. 

I was a bit sore I missed out on the KS and the Summer Backer project but was overwhelmingly impressed with how Ashes is being handled. I'm still dancing back and forth on whether or not I make the $375 commitment for a weeb hut and weeb boat but I'll definitely be playing either way. 
    edited August 2018
    I was searching for new MMOS... heard about this one been and I have been hooked ever since. Day one kick starter supporter and will shut down the game servers.  
  • 9734 said:
    I was getting bored of most of the games I have and wasn't particularly interested in buying the ones available to me. I haven't played any MMOs since 2012, so I decided that would be a good time sink. I literally Googled "top MMORPGs of 2018", found some janky countdown lists and started doing some research. I say "some" but I spent about a month total comparing every MMO to one another. 

I was appalled. Most MMOs are crap, and have been crap, and probably will continue to be crap. This is the only one aside from Archeage or Guild Wars 2 that looked remotely interesting. 

I was a bit sore I missed out on the KS and the Summer Backer project but was overwhelmingly impressed with how Ashes is being handled. I'm still dancing back and forth on whether or not I make the $375 commitment for a weeb hut and weeb boat but I'll definitely be playing either way. 
    The more I see you post, the more I think we're likely to get along, despite you referring to yourself as being somewhat antisocial. I will also, most likely, not be able to get actively involved with the game until the beta, and even if the game doesn't stylistically allow me to do so directly, I intend to portray Lythawan as a bit of a Samurai, so believe me when I say I feel you on going full on Otaku on this game. *chuckles*
  • KingOelc said:
    I was searching for new MMOS... heard about this one been and I have been hooked ever since. Day one kick starter supporter and will shut down the game servers.  
    As a Scorpio I can only but admire such loyalty. :)
  • Lythawan said:
    9734 said:
    [snip]
    The more I see you post, the more I think we're likely to get along, despite you referring to yourself as being somewhat antisocial. I will also, most likely, not be able to get actively involved with the game until the beta, and even if the game doesn't stylistically allow me to do so directly, I intend to portray Lythawan as a bit of a Samurai, so believe me when I say I feel you on going full on Otaku on this game. *chuckles*
    I won't be satisfied until my Vek Summoner/Mage has a harem of catgirls Tulnar waifus. Though I'm not sure what the plan is for some of my other characters yet. 
    edited August 2018
    I wanted to play an MMORPG for so long... my partner is a long time WoW player, but I felt lost getting into it (though I still am playing it while I wait for Alpha 2 because... ehh gotta wet the whistle as they say). I frequent Kickstarter and this has been the most expensive thing I've back on Kickstarter. I am glad I did, even with all this fiasco about My.com, I'm sure it will all come together in the end. Can't wait !
  • @CobraKing All we can do is keep the faith, neh?
  • I was reading the ESO boards back during the KS month.  I saw the name and then googled it and found the KS page.  I've backed three games on KS so far and this was the one I was most excited about.  I did a bit of research, even about Steven, and watched the videos and read some of the discussions and started with a lower pledge, then I upgraded it to get the lifetime option. 

I've done lifetimes for LOTRO, DCUO, CO, STO, and the only one I still play is LOTRO.  (Yes, Lord of the Rings Online is 11 years old now and many of us still play it.  Best F2P setup I've seen.)  But, for this one I figured it would be a very worthwhile game and had to drop the money to get it. 

I even bought a new computer a few months back in preparation for being able to play this game sometime this year, among others.