Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Size of the 2 handed sword

2»

Comments

• Options
    YuccaPalm said:
    Weird to ask for immersion in a fantasy game. Of course swords shouldn't be as big as in monster hunter world but if someone can cast meteors he can surely enchant my character to be of super human strength or there could be a million other reason why my character has this power. So of course many would use a bigger sword if they had this kind of strength. I'm sure there will be many weapon skins so most people will be happy.
    No but the usage of such a massive sword has too many demerits. For one it's just too big and the environment would collide with it and since it is so big you cant exactly use it for stabbing in tight spots either. With magic you can drop that meteorite and kill all living beings in the radius, a perfect solution :naughty:
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Is there a list anywhere of all the confirmed different types of weapons?
    There you go: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons
  • Options
    reaccon said:
    I want dual shields
    Only if you go Tank/Tank.

Then you get the special ability “Shield Clap”.

Like a wind-up monkey.
  • Options
    Nefelia said:

That... is a ridiculous sword. Way too much unnecessary weight at the shoulder and guard.

That, is a bad ass looking sword.
    Someone put in a good amount of effort to bring this design to life and make it look like it was actually forged.

Full disclosure, I like the Asian style.

What I don't want to see is the current "American" style. I don't want to feel like I'm playing a cartoon. By that I mean the WOW style (or Blizzard overall), the CIV 6 style, the Sea of Thieves style, the happy colored always soft edges least amount of effort possible graphic style is horrific for something that should be appealing to look at for hours on end. 

Too big? 
    length wise this sword is pretty close. It is fat at the base, so much so that it would be hard to swing in the real world. Like Trainor said though, its all about that base.

I cant shoot fire out of my hand or a stick (I have tried).
    I also cant do a 40 in a sub 1.13s (or instantaneously)
    Nor can I don a full suit of armor (let alone weapons) and run around for hours/days on end.
    I cant wave a bigger stick and heal someone who is dying, or raise someone from the dead (neither could Jesus or Yashua or Ala, don't feel bad)

For that matter I also cant kill a certain amount of creatures and gain more strength/intelligence/health/mana/ etc.

The point is, the "because it looks real" argument holds no water what so ever in a game where everything else is made up. There is more than enough justification as to shy the bigger sword is perfectly reasonable to use. If for no other reason than the fact that some mobs we hunt will be much larger than our character and it would make sense to need a "bigger gun".

Nefelia said:

It is quite long, and as such has tremendous speed and force at the tip once in full swing. It may not look exciting compared to the outrageous examples we can find in games, but it is practical and efficient.

This is boring looking because we had to make it in THIS world to be wielded by humans. Also, physically speaking, due to how thin it is, it would melt very quickly in my meteor inferno as the temp will be much higher than the 1370 f required to melt this toothpick.

Everything I have seen so far in concepts looks great, no current complaints. 

-CS
  • Options
    I was debating on whether to go sword and shield or two handed sword for this game, but after seeing that latest combat video on how puny those two handed swords are, I will go sword and shield. Personally, I want my two handed swords to be *great* swords - diagonally strapped to your back with hilt extending past the head and point all the way down to gastrocnemius. Once pulled out, they will give an irredescent glow, signifying power and sentience. But alas, a dream is *just* a dream so I will go sword and shield.
  • Options
    c0ug4r said:
    Flameh0t said:
    Is there a list anywhere of all the confirmed different types of weapons?
    There you go: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons
    Perfect, thanks mate.
  • Options
    I like the weapon concepts for this game.  They are fantastical but not laughably ridiculous like the Asian MMO/WoW/Warhammer garbage.
  • Options
    How about if you want a really big sword you have to craft it and it takes 4x as many rare resources and still does the same damage as the normal sized one...you get to have your big sword if you want.  It also reduces your carrying capacity also. 😋
  • Options
    "Why play with the little chopstick when you can have the big bamboo?" is a line that I have used here in Asia when younger and clubbing. Stop trying to overcompensate like all the anime and weeaboo media creators have fed you. If you gotta a little chopstick, wave it proudly.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    But wouldnt you have to be overpowered all time, so you can actually carry this huge sword to the battlefield?

The only thing that was actually confirmed was, that weapons shall not be oversized. So they shouldnt actually appear twice as big as the char holding it.

I guess thats pretty much the limit, having normal sized swords. I mean if it wasnt double handed swords, what would wands look like?
  • Options

I cant shoot fire out of my hand or a stick (I have tried).
    I also cant do a 40 in a sub 1.13s (or instantaneously)
    Nor can I don a full suit of armor (let alone weapons) and run around for hours/days on end.
    I cant wave a bigger stick and heal someone who is dying, or raise someone from the dead (neither could Jesus or Yashua or Ala, don't feel bad)
    A well-crafted suit of armour would allow you to do a fair bit of running. Of course, you'd have to be in pretty good shape for that.

Also, physically speaking, due to how thin it is, it would melt very quickly in my meteor inferno as the temp will be much higher than the 1370 f required to melt this toothpick.

Well... If you are standing around in fire long enough for your sword to melt, chances are you are quite dead and the state of your sword is a moot point.  :)

• Options
    I kind of want to see how big axes or scythes will be
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:
    Realism is boring in games imo. And this is a fantasy game after all. Oh hey you got a straight sword, yea me too! Oh he’s got one, and him and her :/ gets boring pretty quick. 
    It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron
    Give me Dragonslayer any day of the week  ;)

@Nefelia I get your point about the variety of swords 😂 I was just saying it’s fantasy so let’s have some fun 😊 I’m sure AoC will make most people happy with weapon choice. 
  • Options
    so let’s have some fun 😊

There is nothing more fun than telling people they are wrong on the internet. It feeds the empty hole where my heart should be. :D

That said, I certainly am impressed with the direction the art has been taking so far.
  • Options

There is nothing more fun than telling people they are wrong on the internet. It feeds the empty hole where my heart should be. :D
    I feel your pain xD 

*starts singing darkness* by Lego Batman. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Im happy with the size actually, 

I really dislike the flashy large two handed crap IMO
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Realism is boring in games imo. And this is a fantasy game after all. Oh hey you got a straight sword, yea me too! Oh he’s got one, and him and her :/ gets boring pretty quick. 
    It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron
    That's what she said.....
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    nagash said:
    That's what she said.....
    The picture I was going to post would most likely get me banned so have this one instead the message is the same 

• Options
    Ever since I was a wee Dwarf, my pa always told me "son, some 2 handers are bigger than others".
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Ever since I was a wee Dwarf, my pa always told me "son, some 2 handers are bigger than others".
    Some two handers might even be one handers......
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    Kratz said:
    Some two handers might even be one handers......
    Aye, must be hard being an Elf.....
  • Options
    There's a sword so big it runs all the way through Verra and if you can pull it out you become king of the world.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    There's a sword so big it runs all the way through Verra and if you can pull it out you become king of the world.
    Hooray, king of a world with a huge freaking hole running through it.  No thank you.
  • Options
    Im happy with the size actually,
    thats what she said Kappa
    agree though :D:D
  • Options
    Make the 2h as big as feasibly possible. Look at Albion Online's claymore- it's nearly 2x the size of the character. 
  • Options
    I have no problems people having such a massive sword,
    as long as they cant carry any thing else and
    cant pick it up off the ground and
    dont have the hand strength to stop the inertia of the sword coming out of their hands if they try and swing it.

Otherwise I just as well pick up the nearest mountain in two hands and slap your face with it....because magic.
  • Options
    I'm all in favor of having the 2-H weapons, being bigger/larger, than their 1-H counterparts.  The problem is that I don't think we have enough examples to compare scaling of size, between the two.  Not yet, anyways. 

As long as the 2-H weapons are proportionately larger, than I'm good.  Than, there's also scaling of gear, to the size of players avatars, to consider.