Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Where Ma Crafters At ?

Crafters, what are you looking for in game?  I'm kinda hoping we get away from the current 'read a book while the progress bar fills' crafting systems.  Off the top of my head, I can think of:

• Crafters should produce the best items in game!  Dungeons/Raids should drop rare materials that require a crafter to produce the finished item.  Otherwise, crafters become useless at high level.
  • Crafting uses the same points as other attributes - if you shouldn't be able to 'do everything' on  one alt.  Leveling crafting should come at the expense of not leveling something else.
  • Recipes with multiple crafted components - crafting a boat should need you to craft/buy nails.
  • Material Quality system (a la SWG, EVE, etc) - NOT just 'normal' and 'uber' mats.
  • Recipe discovery - I'm sorta on the fence on this one, as they all end up on wiki's anyway.
  • Maker's Marks/Engraving - good not only for advertising your services, adding special messages on 'custom' pieces
  • Crafting only content - crafting quests that reward crafting mats, armor, mounts, etc.
What's on your wish list ?

EDIT:
  Can't believe I forgot this one!
  • Use based crafting!  Just because you crafted the 100 swords to become a 'master' doesn't mean you should make as good a sword as someone that crafted 500 swords...

Comments

• Options

Dammit - I forgot decay/durability too!  Thanks for the link.

Sounds like crafting will be separate from adventuring (you can level both with no compromises or tradeoffs).  I'm not a fan of that style, as it tends to lead to a ton of 'crafters' that simply got bored at level cap and decided to work the crafting system a while.

Other then that, the crafting system sounds like it will be great!  I love the ability to 'dial in' stats on items.  Maybe you don't need a +20 sword to farm hide, but you want it extra durable to reduce repair costs, etc.!
  • Options
    < I would like to see Gear recipes drop from raids instead of gear dropping, And any gear that does drop should be equal to or less than the gear you can craft
  • Options
    Stilgar said:
    < I would like to see Gear recipes drop from raids instead of gear dropping, And any gear that does drop should be equal to or less than the gear you can craft
    I'm good with either recipes or mats - just don't want to see armoursmiths and weaponsmiths get 'sidelined' at high level.

• Options
     I hope crafting isn't just gathering the materials, clicking the craft button, and watching the bar fill. I'm not sure what this could be replaced with but I hope they try out a few things. They are trying to revolutionize the MMORPG genre, why can't we get some new ways to craft!
  • Options
    Bink said:
     I hope crafting isn't just gathering the materials, clicking the craft button, and watching the bar fill. I'm not sure what this could be replaced with but I hope they try out a few things. They are trying to revolutionize the MMORPG genre, why can't we get some new ways to craft!
        AutumnLeaf posted this earlier about the crafting system.

It sounds really good - almost SWG good.  You can 'tune' specific crafts/items to specific uses, and there will be multiple crafted components for some recipes (requiring your woodworker to get leather from a tanner, for instance).  Didn't see anything about material qualities though.

Crafters will produce some of the best items in game - hopefully that means BiS items at high level.  Item wear/decay will help create a constant demand for crafted gear, as well.

Overall, I'm really getting excited about the crafting in AoC.  As we said earlier though, I just hope crafting requires enough of a commitment to prevent flooding the markets.
  • Options
    My only worry is that balancing the abundancy of raw materials, the placement of the materials on the map, and scarcity of crafting stations is gonna be tough! Thank God they hired an economist!
  • Options
    if its a typical launch, the crafting setup will suck.

The crafting stations will be on the other side of town from the bank, auction house, etc. and you'll spend half your time playing inventory mgmt. carting stuff back and forth Then 'magically' after the first expansion, they create crafting heaven with everything in the same place :D

Seriously though - I'm not worried about resource locations/amounts.  I'm more worried about how many 'crafters' will be viaing for them.  Since there appears to be no 'down side' to leveling crafting, I think EVERYONE will at least initially be a 'crafter'.  Eventually, most of them will get bored and move on to raiding or exploring.  But the 'early days' could be real interesting.

Of course, Harvesters always make good money at the start of a crafting tier...So you could make quite a bit of bank selling mats to people for leveling - then level your own stuff a week or two later when prices normalize :D
  • Options
    That's why I think crafting an item shouldn't just be a set the dials and then click craft it. I'm not saying make a mini game but maybe make something that requires skill when your crafting an item. I just think the actual act of crafting in games is so lazy! Give me a challenge when I craft so that the more difficult it is the actually craft something the more rewarding it will be. Make hard recipes actually hard to craft not just hard to obtain the ingredients for. I just have no idea how you could do that! XD
  • Options
    If you make crafting difficult to get good at less people will flood the market and you would have a deeper crafting system not just a wide one.
  • Options
    Bink said:
    That's why I think crafting an item shouldn't just be a set the dials and then click craft it. I'm not saying make a mini game but maybe make something that requires skill when your crafting an item. I just think the actual act of crafting in games is so lazy! Give me a challenge when I craft so that the more difficult it is the actually craft something the more rewarding it will be. Make hard recipes actually hard to craft not just hard to obtain the ingredients for. I just have no idea how you could do that! XD
       LOL - I was just gonna ask you how to do that without mini-games :smiley:
       I'm on the fence with push button crafting - it does get boring, but unless you can batch craft items, crafting hundreds of items while doing a mini-game can be just as bad.  Really wish I could think of a better, third option...

I've always like the idea of 'use based' crafting instead of levels.  The more swords you craft, the better you get at it.  The better you get at it, the fewer mats/higher stats the sword gets. 

But that doesn't solve the problem of the actual crafting 'process'...

• Options
    Yeah I can't think of a solution either! I can't wait to see how big of an impact crafting has on the game.
  • Options
    Bink said:
    My only worry is that balancing the abundancy of raw materials, the placement of the materials on the map, and scarcity of crafting stations is gonna be tough! Thank God they hired an economist!
    Resource spawns are dynamic and not fixed. No "nodes" in permanent locations. Some areas will have abundant resources in one class, but lack in others. An area that has a certain resource will see it depleted over time and new spawns appear. If you are familiar with SWG and how they did resources and crafting they have said a few times now they have taken inspiration from what is seen by many to be one of the best resource/crafting systems to appear in an mmo. Since a few of the developers actually worked on that title, researching that if you are unfamiliar should help.
  • Options
    Resource spawns are dynamic and not fixed. No "nodes" in permanent locations. Some areas will have abundant resources in one class, but lack in others. An area that has a certain resource will see it depleted over time and new spawns appear. If you are familiar with SWG and how they did resources and crafting they have said a few times now they have taken inspiration from what is seen by many to be one of the best resource/crafting systems to appear in an mmo. Since a few of the developers actually worked on that title, researching that if you are unfamiliar should help.
    SWG had an awesome crafting system :smile: !! Do you happen to know if there are plans to implement a material 'quality' system like SWG had ?
  • Options
    SWG had an awesome crafting system :smile: !! Do you happen to know if there are plans to implement a material 'quality' system like SWG had ? 

Yes, extremely similar if previous statements are to be believed. Iron as an example will have different stats depending on the spawn mined. There was talk in the very early day of harvesters that would require multiple people to operate, though that has not been mentioned again and may have just been them spitballing ideas at the time.  
  • Options
    Yes, extremely similar if previous statements are to be believed. Iron as an example will have different stats depending on the spawn mined. There was talk in the very early day of harvesters that would require multiple people to operate, though that has not been mentioned again and may have just been them spitballing ideas at the time.  
    Sweet! cooperative harvesting is always fun.  Vanguard had that as sort of a 'passive buff' - made it nice to go harvesting with friends.

Actual harvesting 'machinery' like SWG had would be cool too...I haven't seen those in _ages_ :)  Could fit in nicely with the node/caravan stuff too - one more thing to protect, or you come back a week later and find out someone stole all your mats!

• Options
    ... If you are familiar with SWG and how they did resources and crafting they have said a few times now they have taken inspiration from what is seen by many to be one of the best resource/crafting systems to appear in an mmo. Since a few of the developers actually worked on that title...
    Having been a crafter in SWG, I can't wait to see how it's implemented in AoC. This has me excited and is one of the major factors that drew me to the game.
  • Options
    Shoklen said:
    Having been a crafter in SWG, I can't wait to see how it's implemented in AoC. This has me excited and is one of the major factors that drew me to the game.
       I had high hopes for crafting in Repopulation, but unfortunately, it died on the vine.  Hopefully, AoC will let me really get ma craft on!  B)
  • Options
    Actual harvesting 'machinery' like SWG had would be cool too...I haven't seen those in _ages_ :)
    I wouldn't mind seeing them again either... Though not the fields of mechanized monstrosities destroying the beautiful landscape.. Easily limited done thru restrictions and spheres of influence.
  • Options
    I loved SWG crafting but only as a customer.  In the game people used to ask me what I crafted and I’d tell them I turned living people into dead people.

One big difference between AoC and SWG is that in SWG, crafting wasn’t a side activity.  The game was profession-based rather than class-based, and your character was defined by whatever skills you learn among three different professions.  So to be a diverse or really advanced crafter you needed to take crafting professions instead of combat professions and you gathered and crafted instead of fighting and adventuring.

AoC will be a game where you are defined by your main class and second class, and like most MMOs crafting will be a side thing.  Which is good and bad.  SWG was cool because you could make a character who really was just an accomplished baker, or weaponsmith, or tailor.  Or dancer/musician!  AoC is cool because you can do that stuff and still go on quests and fight monsters and so on.

I think I prefer the AoC system.  Especially since with SWG’s “one character per server per account” rule you couldn’t have alts.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    AoC will be a game where you are defined by your main class and second class, and like most MMOs crafting will be a side thing.  Which is good and bad. .

yeah - one of the downsides to games with crafting like that, is eventually _everyone_ is a crafter, because why not.  It can make it a lot harder on 'professional' crafters.

Just as a silly example, item wear/durablity is a lot less effective at supporting a crafter economy, when each player can just repair/craft their own gear.

It would be nice to see crafting skills use the same stat points as combat/adventuring skills, so there would be some trade-offs involved in becoming a crafter...
  • Options
    The skill points on the artisan side will be limited. There are 3 classes of professions with Gathering, Processing, and Crafting. People will NOT be able to do everything and to get to higher levels will have to decide which path they will take and specialize in. So you could take gathering, and as you allocate points in it, you wouldn't be able to go up the crafting tree. At a certain point as a gatherer, you would have to specify the type of gathering, whether that is taming, skinning, flower/herb picking and so on. To become a master tamer would take almost all your points, but would allow you to tame the greatest of mobs. You wouldn't be able to train or breed it, since that would fall under processing, and most likely stats and equipment for pets would fall under Crafting tree. So the statement that crafting will be a side thing is a matter of opinion, people who really want to get the best stuff are going to have to work hard to get there. And having a master skinner who it the only person who can fully loot that world boss with be a coveted thing. Especially since we know crafted gear will use those components, and that master skinner won't have the artisan points to make anything with it himself.
  • Options
    So the statement that crafting will be a side thing is a matter of opinion, people who really want to get the best stuff are going to have to work hard to get there. And having a master skinner who it the only person who can fully loot that world boss with be a coveted thing. Especially since we know crafted gear will use those components, and that master skinner won't have the artisan points to make anything with it himself.
        Yeah, my point was that becoming a crafter has no effect on your combat skills.  What I've generally seen with these sorts of setups, is that people max out adventure/combat leveling, then get bored, and level crafting because it has no impact on the adventuring build they've made.

Having been a raid harvester, I can tell you having a 'master skinner' will probably not be as unusual as you think.  Typically, by definition, raiders are max level characters - they also generally have money to spend.  So maxing a one or more crafting skills (depending on the game limits) is a non-issue.  My EQ2 toons were max adventuring level, maxed Tinkering, maxed the-other-thing-that-went-with-tinerking, AND a max trade craft.  There was literally no down side to doing this.

Compare that with a system where your 'master skinner' needs to gimp his survival and/or combat skills to max the crafting skills.  That would tend to make them more rare/valuable, as many people don't want to limit their combat/survival ability.

You can see examples of this one new expansion packs drop.  "Professional" crafters spend tons of gold/plat buying materials from the new tiers, racing each other to be the first with the ability to craft the new BiS pieces.  Demand is high for people that can harvest/craft at the new level cap.  Prices are high, but very few people actually grumble, as they know they are paying to get the new BiS slots before other raid/pvp guilds have them, giving them a real advantage. 

Now look at the _end_ of an expac - prices are lower, markets are flooded with mats, and pretty much every max level character has at least 1 trade craft maxed out - making it hard to sell finished goods at a decent profit.