Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How is this not P2W?

Comments

• Options
    For me P2W means:
    You can buy this outfit for $$$ and sell it to players for Gold.
    You can buy XP boost for $$$
    You can buy Expansion for $$$ and sell it to players for Gold. (Looking at you Eso.)
    You can buy armor for $$$
    You can bride devs and get boosted Stats.

Giving a mount to supporters is not P2W. Before you know it you will have a selection of ridiculous mounts for your self.
    If you believe that players having a mount will give them an edge you are deluded.
    Players will surpass you because of their groups, skill, time devotion. Not because of a free mount.

Now if the players receive a boat/tent that's like a few hours activity if not less.
    This game shows nothing P2W at the moment.
    It is subscription based.

• Options
    nagash said:
    Why do people not research games anymore?
    One word "millennial"
  • Options
    Krojak said:
    *runs into the thread to beat this topic to death for the 237th time*

*notices all the regulars are already all over it*

*slinks off disappointed*
    You need to work harder ^^
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"
    Hey, stop blaming us for everything damnit xD 
    Plenty of us who do our research, just like you (Gen X I assume) :smiley: find a better excuse 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Nelirya said:
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"
    Plenty of us who do our research, just like you (Gen X I assume) :smiley: find a better excuse 
    I blame stupidity more than the year you were  born
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Nelirya said:
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"
    Now that I can agree with 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Karthos said:
    Anyone else noticing an uptick in these types of threads and Discord comments lately?

Something is going on....
    I was thinking the same thing 
    Great minds..................
    It must be THAT time of month for trolls to crawl out from  the dung heap.
    Nah. Probably the MMO competition getting moist with anticipation at AoC progress.
  • Options
    Moist ACinderella Story GIF - Moist ACinderellaStory Cookies GIFs
  • Options
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"
    Yep, cause the hippies in the 60s were a hard working bunch.
    cause the disco kids of the 70s were a hard working bunch.
    cause the metal heads of the 80s were a hard working bunch.
    cause the grunge kids of the 90s were a hard working bunch.
    cause the hip hop kids of the 00s were a hard working bunch.

Pro tip: people are lazy. Generalizing them based off age is lazy as well.
  • Options
    Krojak said:
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"

Hit the nail on the head with a ******* Warhammer 
  • Options
    Krojak said:

Nah bro, my generation is different! We are gonna change things and do stuff! You just don't understand!! 
  • Options
    The man just asked questions, did you see his followup post?

I would love a new mmo and this looks very promising, but I also have been burned and don't have the time to research all the mmo's out there.
    As a newcomer here I went into this thread wondering myself and while I did get all worries about p2w put down, I also saw a community that does not give the benefit of the doubt to a newcomer but would rather just be rude, dismissive and non-inclusive.

I hope this game do well because it looks good and I will probably play it, but not because of the community represented here on the forums.

If someone asks a question and you think it's dumb or a troll or something else, just ignore it, even if it is a troll, you just feed it by answering...

Anyways have a good weekend.

• Options
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"
    Any answer to this question except refusing to answer it will lead to an incorrect answer. Especially one as insulting, ignorant, and lazy as "millennial". (And I'm not one, this isn't even personal)

The question was designed to get an untrue answer by presuming that the stated conditions within the question are true. But they are not. People have been "not researching games" since there have been games. This is not new. People have much the same behaviors in each generation.

• Options
    From a basically "outsider": this community is just starting to show a bit of a superiority complex. Just saying that I have seen it getting stronger. Probably rode on it in some of my own posts.  How much stronger that gets and the impact of it is still to be seen.
  • Options
    From a basically "outsider": this community is just starting to show a bit of a superiority complex. Just saying that I have seen it getting stronger. Probably rode on it in some of my own posts.  How much stronger that gets and the impact of it is still to be seen.
    With all due respect, we're all for discussing the more delicate issues regarding AoC, but we kindly request that folks do some research before writing sensationalist thread topics with sensationalist headings that are absolutely 100% incorrect, if they want to be taken seriously. There are people in this thread who have made FANTASTIC strides (me not being one) through wikis and other fan made projects to collate and make available all the information given by intrepid thus far. Give them a break and don't read too much into comments that air of a "superiority complex." 
  • Options

Full respect back. Just calling it like I see it.

Regular patience is failing in this case here. Other things are failing for other subjects. Not unexpected and I myself have fallen into it occasionally.

You can expect everyone to do those things like "research". I don't think that you are going to get it all that often. The worst that sensationalists do is spread misinformation which can easily be countered which becomes a chance for "corrected" publicity.

• Options

The worst that sensationalists do is spread misinformation which can easily be countered which becomes a chance for "corrected" publicity.

Misinformation is NOT easily countered. People who care about knowledge and truth get riled up by misinformation because of just how insidious and difficult it is to fight. It spreads faster than truth does. When someone says some sensationalist BS that gets repeated, and repeated, and reposted all up everywhere. But when the original BS gets redacted or corrected that doesn't get repeated to all the people the BS infected. The misinformation lingers, out there.

So no, misinformation isn't easy to counter. And sensationalized BS is the worst kind. People have every right to react to it with frustration.
  • Options
    Besides cosmetics and mounts, what else is there worth purchasing that is not pay to win? The devs have to allocate the consumers' dollars somewhere - and that place would only be cosmetics and mounts. Practically everything else is tampering with characters' power levels.
  • Options
    Ravnodaus said:
    Misinformation is NOT easily countered. People who care about knowledge and truth get riled up by misinformation because of just how insidious and difficult it is to fight. It spreads faster than truth does. When someone says some sensationalist BS that gets repeated, and repeated, and reposted all up everywhere. But when the original BS gets redacted or corrected that doesn't get repeated to all the people the BS infected. The misinformation lingers, out there.

So no, misinformation isn't easy to counter. And sensationalized BS is the worst kind. People have every right to react to it with frustration.
    Good Post. This is not only relevant to games but also whats happening in Real Life and in the news (not to bring that stuff up on a game forum) and pretty much the entire internet as well. Sensationalized Misinformation spreads like wildfire while redacted information and corrections fall to page 28 and are never read..
  • Options
    I thought I was respectful in my posts as a reply to the OPs questions.. and I have to admit I keep forgetting about the Wiki myself.. Guess I'm trained in thinking 'Pre-Launch Wiki's' are full of misinformation or speculations due to past experiences.. Glad to hear this wiki is accurate.
  • Options
    Do research before you post.  Not a little research, a lot of research.  There is a TON of material available that would have prevented the OP unless its (a) trolling or (b) lack of cognitive ability.
  • Options
    Darksaber said:
    Besides cosmetics and mounts, what else is there worth purchasing that is not pay to win? The devs have to allocate the consumers' dollars somewhere - and that place would only be cosmetics and mounts. Practically everything else is tampering with characters' power levels.
    Monster coins. The system AIs job is to try and destroy the opponent. The players doing it on the AI behalf is WAI. The fact each monster will have their own progression and cosmetic drops as rewards, adds to the sell-ability.
  • Options
    A wise comment everyone needs to keep an eye on. Myself included.
    But bad troll is bad too.
    /shrugs
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Nelirya said:
    nagash said:
    One word "millennial"
    Stupidity yes along with lack of common sense and the fact that some people can't help trying to stir the pot.  
  • Options
    Ravnodaus said:

The worst that sensationalists do is spread misinformation which can easily be countered which becomes a chance for "corrected" publicity.

It really isn't, and often people will be inclined to believe the one who speaks the loudest in the most sensational ways, and that's usually the people who have something to gain from it... like a competitor! They will stop at nothing to twist things and try to drive that crowd to their game because AoC is "just another lie" so you may as well come back and play our game with a new shiny expansion or something, lol. 

An innocent new person who is simply trying to gather information might consider being more polite in how they ask, but they might not think of all the subtleties of how their question might impact the community. So, to the original poster, I do sincerely hope you feel your question was answered, and if not, I strongly recommend checking out the community wikis! There are some truly amazing people in this community that spend time on getting us details to fuel our hype. My favorite wiki  is  https://aocwiki.net/Main_Page , but there are some pretty awesome up and coming ones like aoc-source.com as well. If you pop into the Ashes discord, there is a section for community sites. https://discord.gg/SCV6PQ7 
    I know it's a lot to research every game that comes out, but I genuinely feel that you will not be disappointed with Ashes of Creation, and looking into these details will totally pay off. When you do, it will be great to have you aboard the hype train!
  • Options
    Darksaber said:
    Well, also don't forget that the game will use a subscription model.  $15 / month (no box cost) so while, yes, any money is good money for Intrepid they are not setting themselves up to HAVE be looking for ways to generate $$$.

Now, if the subs nosedive and things get a little dicey we've seen what's happened before BUT that is not the model and not the plan.
  • Options
    When I saw they were charging for Alpha and Beta I almost puked. This testing is essential to a successful launch. They should be paying players to test their game! At least they're going to open up Alpha for everyone. That softens the blow a bit. Hopefully it will give them everything they need for a smooth launch.
  • Options
    It's not p2w because it is not p2w
  • Options
    Stabby said:
    When I saw they were charging for Alpha and Beta I almost puked. This testing is essential to a successful launch. They should be paying players to test their game! At least they're going to open up Alpha for everyone. That softens the blow a bit. Hopefully it will give them everything they need for a smooth launch.
    Unfortunately it will never go back to that kind of Alphas. Once companies realized they could charge customers who are so eager to get in early (me included) to test the game it was all over. Just how things are at this point. 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Not i single thing i saw about this game is or can be P2W. It is costly, expensive as Scarlett Johansson sex doll, but not P2W so far.