Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

About hybrid combat mechanics.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Craved said:
    AoC has lots of potential that will go right down to the sewer where tab targeting belongs if they still choose to have "hybrid". 

When I play an mmo, I don't wanna mindlessly press 123456f1f2f3f4 etc with zero effort or technique. Tabtargeting is something that belongs in the ancient games it is in, not in a fresh new 2020 game. A hybrid like gw2 is just trash. 

They should take a look of where the combat itself in mmos is actually praised, like Tera and Black Desert and take notes. 
    Disagree.
    Having alot of skills on hotbar makes the combat more tactical.
    TERA and BDO combat gets boring quite quickly
  • Options
    Craved said:
    When I play an mmo, I don't wanna mindlessly press 123456f1f2f3f4 etc with zero effort or technique.
    Well if you do this, then I have a sad story for you... you are a casual.
    But don't worry, the overwhelming majority of the players are like you, press the buttons mindlessly, cause you don't know how to utilize the given tools skillfully, since you are "mindless".
    There are nothing wrong with it though. Like 90% of players do the same, and that's a positive side of the "easy" tab target system, that even ppls, who can't think themselves can just mindlessly smash buttons for some effect, while also allowing more skilled ones, to preform better.
  • Options
    Well thats the beauty of having Tab Targetting & Action combat.
    YOU get a CHOICE !
    ;)
    Dont like Tab...dont use it.
    Dont like Action...dont use it.

It appears to me that your post is more about 'forcing everyone else' to play your way, rather than 'your' ability to play your way.
  • Options
    Well thats the beauty of having Tab Targetting & Action combat.
    YOU get a CHOICE !
    ;)
    Dont like Tab...dont use it.
    Dont like Action...dont use it.

It appears to me that your post is more about 'forcing everyone else' to play your way, rather than 'your' ability to play your way.
    The truth has been spoken
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    Lufia said:
    Disagree.
    Having alot of skills on hotbar makes the combat more tactical.
    TERA and BDO combat gets boring quite quickly
    Pretty much this. The number of abilities - by basic logic - make the game deeper.
    Action combat may look flashy, but spamming 1 - 3 abilities isn't deep at all.

Many misunderstand mmo's combat. A mmo's combat is closer to a RTS than to a FPS, even if you only control one character, it ain't supposed to be based on aiming, but on knowing when, what and how to use, while managing resources.

Aim based combat conflict with the fact that it's a third person game, and by the whole mentality of gearing and having stats. If you put importance on aiming, you "only" kill the main point of game, the gearing and improving your character itself. If you put focus on gear, aiming just become a meaningless mini game(BDO), which quickly ends up being just a chore.

Yeah, one would say that you need to find the perfect ratio of both... noone found it yet, and highly unlikely aoc won't be the first to discover it...

Actually, if you look at wow, in it's prime (wotlk) players had high amount of different abilities to choice, while also needed to manage resource. In that time PvP was decent.
    Since that, it become simpler and simpler with every expansion to favor the noobs, so now you didn't need to manage resource, and the number of abilities are reduced, while also making the look less different. Not surprising the PvP also died as the combat experience become shit.

Ofc noobs and casuals just smashed a few buttons, but PvP aren't for them in the first place. You can 1-2-1-2 in PvE, but in PvP those players are killed without using abilities with cd higher than 10s...