Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

High end PVP/PVE should be instanced.

When playing at the endgame, weather it is PVP or PVE you want a stable and controlled enviroment. The last thing you want as top guilds fighting each other is having the "Dwarven Bardhs drinking company" guild run in and troll everyone.

Also competitive "large" scale pvp in the form of 10 players (a very stable, realistic to organize number)  can't compete while open world hazards and players get in the way. Serious pvp players want somewhere to compete in the 1v1,2v2,3v3,5v5 and 10v10 bracket where where all except 1v1 matter and where the game is balanced around 3v3 and 10v10 for pvp.

Large scale castle sieges and node battles are not skillbased,they are faceroll, PC spec based, and laggy. They are an Aoe lagfest. Dont define the game on this, it does not work. 

Lastly, keep all the original open world aspects, just include instanced competitive pvp. 

Comments

• Options
    How about we let the devs first try out what they planned before we shit all over their ideas?
    The last thing you want as top guilds fighting each other is having the "Dwarven Bardhs drinking company" guild run in and troll everyone.
    Well you actually do want top guilds to compete about dungeon bosses. Steven stated so at various occasions.
    And if the "Dwarven Bardhs drinking company" runs in to troll everyone, just kill them? Be aware that such people exist and have a rogue scout behind you and if he detects a group like that, ambush them and make them think twice before going after you again.
    Large scale castle sieges and node battles are not skillbased,they are faceroll, PC spec based, and laggy. They are an Aoe lagfest. Dont define the game on this, it does not work.
    With node sieges let's wait until we have actually seen how it works before we condemn the whole thing.
    Also competitive "large" scale pvp in the form of 10 players (a very stable, realistic to organize number)  can't compete while open world hazards and players get in the way. Serious pvp players want somewhere to compete in the 1v1,2v2,3v3,5v5 and 10v10 bracket where where all except 1v1 matter and where the game is balanced around 3v3 and 10v10 for pvp.

(...)

Lastly, keep all the original open world aspects, just include instanced competitive pvp. 
    Arenas are already confirmed and will be instanced.
  • Options
    I think this says it all
    Image result for babu seinfeld

• Options
    Hackerson said:
    How about we let the devs first try 9out what they planned before we shit all over their ideas?
    The last thing you want as top guilds fighting each other is having the "Dwarven Bardhs drinking company" guild run in and troll everyone.
    Well you actually do want top guilds to compete about dungeon bosses. Steven stated so at various occasions.
    And if the "Dwarven Bardhs drinking company" runs in to troll everyone, just kill them? Be aware that such people exist and have a rogue scout behind you and if he detects a group like that, ambush them and make them think twice before going after you again.
    With node sieges let's wait until we have actually seen how it works before we condemn the whole thing.

(...)

Arenas are already confirmed and will be instanced.
    Compete about bosses? Do you mean one group fighting a boss while another group trains the healers? This does not work, the group fighting the boss will always be at a severe dissadvantage. All games that implemented this have failed badly. You dont compete for bosses you wipe the boss fighting group in cycles til one group gives up. 
  • Options
    Guild A sends in a group while guild B is already in the dungeon, they meet on their way to the boss room and will have to fight each other, the winner gets to advance to the boss room. That's how I would imagine it. Don't quote me on the specifics, though.

I'm stoked to see how and if that will work, we will see how the devs end up designing the dungeons. Just wait for it to be tested, then you can complain all you want, but there's no good reason to do it now.
  • Options
    Hackerson said:
    Guild A sends in a group while guild B is already in the dungeon, they meet on their way to the boss room and will have to fight each other, the winner gets to advance to the boss room. That's how I would imagine it. Don't quote me on the specifics, though.

I'm stoked to see how and if that will work, we will see how the devs end up designing the dungeons. Just wait for it to be tested, then you can complain all you want, but there's no good reason to do it now.
    And what stops the losing guild from refusing to let the other guild fight in peace? Both guild will ruin the dungeon/boss fight for each other. 

Complaining now may stop the developers from going down a stupid route. And again,keep all the open world stuff,just dont design the engame around it because it never works
  • Options
    Well the losing guild will be dead, of course. What's your point?^^

I understand that you want to be in power at all times and you want everything you encounter to be predictable. Fact is, Ashes is not about being predictable, it changes and players influence everything. If you want to be alone in a dungeon and not be interrupted while you make a run for the boss, maybe position a second group at the entrance and hinder other parties from entering. You have so many options, just use your imagination a little bit.

That said, my opinion should be quite clear and I don't have anything else to contribute to this discussion. If you don't agree, it's fine. I'm not spending my day arguing about specifics, neither of us knows what it will be like until we test it.
  • Options
    Hackerson said:
    Well the losing guild will be dead, of course. What's your point?^^

I understand that you want to be in power at all times and you want everything you encounter to be predictable. Fact is, Ashes is not about being predictable, it changes and players influence everything. If you want to be alone in a dungeon and not be interrupted while you make a run for the boss, maybe position a second group at the entrance and hinder other parties from entering. You have so many options, just use your imagination a little bit.

That said, my opinion should be quite clear and I don't have anything else to contribute to this discussion. If you don't agree, it's fine. I'm not spending my day arguing about specifics, neither of us knows what it will be like until we test it.
    Yea you are right forgot the perma death aspect of the game. As long as people don't respawn it totaly works. 
  • Options
    Hell to the fucking no. Instanced dungeons of any kind are a cancer to MMORPGs. Especially with how AoC is designed, it would be a game killer. You could not be more in the minority in this one. I'm all about pvp and I wouldn't play the game if it was about instanced pvp with 1v1, 3v3, 8v8 etc. Crap. They do have arenas which is fine, but that's only because the rest of the world is open world pvp anywhere you go. 

Then there's the PvE content being in instances, that is awful. Populations just vanish because everyone is in these instances zones for themselves. Forget all the huge world that's created. And where's the challenge? Raid boss up in the wild you have to fight over it, that's what makes the game fun. Trying to create safe farming zones exempt from pvp would and does destroy all pvp aspects of the game. I'm ok with a solo instance for story purposes and even a raid instance here and there that has a unique boss fight that needs to be isolated. But everything else should be open world and contested.
  • Options
    Hell to the fucking no. Instanced dungeons of any kind are a cancer to MMORPGs. Especially with how AoC is designed, it would be a game killer. You could not be more in the minority in this one. I'm all about pvp and I wouldn't play the game if it was about instanced pvp with 1v1, 3v3, 8v8 etc. Crap. They do have arenas which is fine, but that's only because the rest of the world is open world pvp anywhere you go. 

Then there's the PvE content being in instances, that is awful. Populations just vanish because everyone is in these instances zones for themselves. Forget all the huge world that's created. And where's the challenge? Raid boss up in the wild you have to fight over it, that's what makes the game fun. Trying to create safe farming zones exempt from pvp would and does destroy all pvp aspects of the game. I'm ok with a solo instance for story purposes and even a raid instance here and there that has a unique boss fight that needs to be isolated. But everything else should be open world and contested.
    And when we will have zerg rushes all tank and spank lagfest bosses in the world, when we are bored wiping other groups trying to beat a boss, when we are bored of 10v3 caravan faceroll fights, when we are bored of mega lag aoe spam sieges? Real PVPers want to see who is the best for real. You can stay behind a boss facerolling and roleplaying that you are good but some people want complex and hard mechanics designed around balanced groups. You can participate in faceroll aoe spam lag size pvp events some people want a balanced pvp system that is fair and is 100% skill.
  • Options
    Everyone here seems to have forgotten that it has been confirmed multiple times that while the majority of PvE content will be open-world, there will still be isolated instances in some form.

The current plan for a grouping system is an in-world physical(ish) notice board where people post desired roles/dungeons/raids. If the system makes it to release, I wouldn’t be surprised if it carried over to PvP group-finding as well.

So while we have a few instances for certain content, it’s not like you just queue up in a Dungeon Finder and afk until your queue pops. That said, when asked directly in one Q+A session, Steven didn’t totally deny the possibility of some sort of matchmaking system  being incorporated.

I’m sure that a part of that decision to have some instances was made on behalf of the competitive raiders who are out for records and first-time-clears. Intrepid is doing its best to make a place for everyone in Verra - meta raiders are no exception. Plus, closing that option off entirely would probably be a huge pain to work around.

tl;dr: The plan already includes a small minority of instanced dungeons/raids.
  • Options
    Never mind. Already got it verified from q&a that high end PVE and PVP will be instanced. 
  • Options
    Never mind. Already got it verified from q&a that high end PVE and PVP will be instanced. 
    Except it won't. There will be some, but the game won't be instanced dungeons for all high end content. Dungeons will be open with several different paths to take to crawl through them. Instance pvp will be arena's the rest is open world, caravans, sieges etc. High end pvp would be sieges and those are open world. 
  • Options

And when we will have zerg rushes all tank and spank lagfest bosses in the world, when we are bored wiping other groups trying to beat a boss, when we are bored of 10v3 caravan faceroll fights, when we are bored of mega lag aoe spam sieges? Real PVPers want to see who is the best for real. You can stay behind a boss facerolling and roleplaying that you are good but some people want complex and hard mechanics designed around balanced groups. You can participate in faceroll aoe spam lag size pvp events some people want a balanced pvp system that is fair and is 100% skill.
    Pvp is balanced around groups. So the more people the more is designed around. 1v1 pvp isn't going to be super balanced, you'll face someone who will probably always be the scissors to your paper. And recruit for your caravan, if you get ganked 10v3, that's your fault for not getting more help. 
  • Options
    @McKnightrider I think you got it wrong, Steven already confirmed this. Watch Q&A. 
    I told you it should be balanced around 3v3 and 10v10 since these are the most balanced and typical combat numbers. Why bring up 1v1?

And yes, you are right, in pve,  "some" high end will be open world. But this content will not be the endgame. The truly hardest dungeon/boss in the game based on mechanics that will be regarded as competitive is bound to (and will be) instanced. This is because real life exists. Serious gamers and normal people with lives need to be able to schedule raids. 

Ofc there will be some tank and spank world bosses and open world dungeons to make newbies feel good that give good gear and stuff but these will never be considered true endgame. 

Lastly, 99% of the playerbase dont have time to gather a 29 man squad to transport a caravan for 10 min just to send some supplies, groups of 3-5 will be most common and we have 20+years of mmo to prove this. 

Then again. I am not against open world content as it is. I am just explaining why forcing true endgame content to be open world is a terrible idea. Just imagine how much this would be exploitet. 

• Options
    So you all have to go and work for it now. Well thats a new change.
  • Options
    Instanced PvP?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    @McKnightrider I think you got it wrong, Steven already confirmed this. Watch Q&A. 
    I told you it should be balanced around 3v3 and 10v10 since these are the most balanced and typical combat numbers. Why bring up 1v1?

And yes, you are right, in pve,  "some" high end will be open world. But this content will not be the endgame. The truly hardest dungeon/boss in the game based on mechanics that will be regarded as competitive is bound to (and will be) instanced. This is because real life exists. Serious gamers and normal people with lives need to be able to schedule raids. 

Ofc there will be some tank and spank world bosses and open world dungeons to make newbies feel good that give good gear and stuff but these will never be considered true endgame. 

Lastly, 99% of the playerbase dont have time to gather a 29 man squad to transport a caravan for 10 min just to send some supplies, groups of 3-5 will be most common and we have 20+years of mmo to prove this. 

Then again. I am not against open world content as it is. I am just explaining why forcing true endgame content to be open world is a terrible idea. Just imagine how much this would be exploitet. 

I did watch the Q&A and did read what's written in the wiki about it. You make it sound like end game is going to be instanced when it's the complete opposite. They even describe open world,  world bosses and that how very little is instanced with only a few dungeons being for a greater narrative. Like for a quest event or specific story but they give every indication that the majority of it will be open world, especially dungeons. Even starting there won't be a lot of instanced content. And end game pvp won't be instanced, in fact I didn't see anything about end game pvp being instanced. End game pvp would be guild v guild, caravans  and sieges. Sieges being the most end game pvp content you can have and the only instanced pvp being arena or battle ground. Which won't contribute to anything but a fun side way to pvp unlike caravans, open world pvp and sieges. Which will all have significant impact. I also don't know if battle grounds and arena would be recorded for kills? But arena for certain will be a set game to accomplish something and not just mindless killing. 

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Instancing

I get out of that there would be a majority of open world content with instanced pvp being more for arenas. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    This aint WoW or trying to be
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ashes doesn't have an endgame.
    Especially since castle sieges will be ongoing, precisely because they aren't instanced.
    I see no need for instanced max level PvX -except Arenas- since Node sieges will be plentiful even at max level.

Castle sieges and Node sieges are objective-based; not faceroll.
    No way to tell, yet, how much skill will be required in direct, large scale PvP combat.
  • Options
    So this type of post is very common in AoC: people are worried about how a single mechanic will work and they have valid experiences in other MMOs that motivate the worry. This is the blessing and curse of the ambitions of AoC: they are providing several unusual or down-right new and revolutionary mechanics simultaneously, many of which would fail on their own.

What I am trying to say is that when considering any single aspect of the game, make sure you understand its synergy with the other mechanics in the game, especially ones that you may not be familiar with or are new to you. I always have to remind myself about the lack of fast travel and other means of rapid congregation, about the weight limit, about the spawn mechanics after death.

When you are worried about non-instanced dungeons for example, keep in mind
    • they will be big enough to accommodate multiple parties
    • may have multiple bosses with non-linear progression between them
    • about the fact that many dungeons and raids will only exist when certain world conditions are met which may cause them to cease existing
    • due to the lack of fast travel nobody will be putting in the effort to run them unless in the immediate proximity (there will be closer dungeons elsewhere for others)
    • the local population in general that has easy access to running a dungeon is much smaller than the server population
    • because of adaptive & uncertain loot tables, people won't feel the need to hunt down certain dungeons or bosses
    • guilds and alliances will have to take part in social interactions and negotiations to best exploit such resources
    • reputation matters and being a di*k will haunt you in the future and have consequences
    Overall, when our frame of reference is a game without all of these points, it may be easy to get worried about any single part of the game. For example, if you think about WoW with known loot tables, pre-known and always existing dungeons/raids, linear progression in many of them, ginormous server populations that all eventually need to follow the same progression path (dungeon A -> B -> C...) as they level and hit the end game (raid A -> B ...).

This does not mean you should not ever be worried, but just something to think about. Also, I totally agree that feedback is important but it's not feedback if you have not yet been fed anything like actual content and systems to test and experience. Speculation is fine too, but again, try to keep these things in mind and I'm sure people will remind you of the relevant ones when warranted.
  • Options
    @Dygz you are correct abou the label "endgame" not existing but that is for media. Obviously there will be a "hardest boss" or final lore boss and this can be regarded as Endgame. This boss will not be in the open world officialy, since it would mean we would kill it a few weeks after level cap by zerging it, and that would suck.

Real competitive players want arenas and true controlled enviroment. This is already verified to be in the final game. Arenas are the pinnacle of skill no matter what casuals think. 

Large scale battles will forever be faceroll because no pc or player can tactically fight in a 20+ vs 20+ scenario. The best rotation is all AOE and no rotation. This holds true for every single pvp game in existemce with large scale battles in MMO history. 
  • Options
    NeuroGuy said:
    So this type of post is very common in AoC: people are worried about how a single mechanic will work and they have valid experiences in other MMOs that motivate the worry. This is the blessing and curse of the ambitions of AoC: they are providing several unusual or down-right new and revolutionary mechanics simultaneously, many of which would fail on their own.

What I am trying to say is that when considering any single aspect of the game, make sure you understand its synergy with the other mechanics in the game, especially ones that you may not be familiar with or are new to you. I always have to remind myself about the lack of fast travel and other means of rapid congregation, about the weight limit, about the spawn mechanics after death.

When you are worried about non-instanced dungeons for example, keep in mind
    • they will be big enough to accommodate multiple parties
    • may have multiple bosses with non-linear progression between them
    • about the fact that many dungeons and raids will only exist when certain world conditions are met which may cause them to cease existing
    • due to the lack of fast travel nobody will be putting in the effort to run them unless in the immediate proximity (there will be closer dungeons elsewhere for others)
    • the local population in general that has easy access to running a dungeon is much smaller than the server population
    • because of adaptive & uncertain loot tables, people won't feel the need to hunt down certain dungeons or bosses
    • guilds and alliances will have to take part in social interactions and negotiations to best exploit such resources
    • reputation matters and being a di*k will haunt you in the future and have consequences
    Overall, when our frame of reference is a game without all of these points, it may be easy to get worried about any single part of the game. For example, if you think about WoW with known loot tables, pre-known and always existing dungeons/raids, linear progression in many of them, ginormous server populations that all eventually need to follow the same progression path (dungeon A -> B -> C...) as they level and hit the end game (raid A -> B ...).

This does not mean you should not ever be worried, but just something to think about. Also, I totally agree that feedback is important but it's not feedback if you have not yet been fed anything like actual content and systems to test and experience. Speculation is fine too, but again, try to keep these things in mind and I'm sure people will remind you of the relevant ones when warranted.
    I see now. You changed my mind about this a lot. Thank you for a well written answear.
  • Options
    Marzzo1337 said:
    I see now. You changed my mind about this a lot. Thank you for a well written answear.
    Well... that went better than expected hahaha. Cheers.
  • Options
    Real competitive players want arenas and true controlled enviroment. This is already verified to be in the final game. Arenas are the pinnacle of skill no matter what casuals think. 

Large scale battles will forever be faceroll because no pc or player can tactically fight in a 20+ vs 20+ scenario. The best rotation is all AOE and no rotation. This holds true for every single pvp game in existemce with large scale battles in MMO history. 
    Um, arenas suck and are for pussys(sorry #metoo).

Meaningless victories and losses with no impact on the story that will be AoC.

Oh what, you need a perfectly controlled environment with strict rules and time and spacial limitaions to be good at PvP? Yeah, I was most competitive when I used training wheels in my dads driveway. True skill? Please....take all your WoW thoughts, and burn them.

I have been on siege fields with over 400 people and there is a great deal of tactical movements, timing,  and providing they do cool downs of skills correctly, skill selection and timing. Also, no better experience in any game than that.

-CS

• Options
    @ChuckSteak

Let me amend his statement to "Arenas are the pinnacle of [individual/mechanical] skill ...".

Both Arenas and Sieges will be extremely competitive and require high skill, but not necessarily the same skill set. Valuing one over another or comparing them qualitatively doesn't really work... it's just a matter of opinion. And as we all know, arguing over opinions is super productive.

I'm going to be perfectly happy slaughtering my opposition in both environments, and I suggest that both of you, as well as the rest of Verra follow suit. Because the killing is what really matters.
  • Options

Um, arenas suck and are for pussys(sorry #metoo).

Meaningless victories and losses with no impact on the story that will be AoC.

Oh what, you need a perfectly controlled environment with strict rules and time and spacial limitaions to be good at PvP? Yeah, I was most competitive when I used training wheels in my dads driveway. True skill? Please....take all your WoW thoughts, and burn them.

I have been on siege fields with over 400 people and there is a great deal of tactical movements, timing,  and providing they do cool downs of skills correctly, skill selection and timing. Also, no better experience in any game than that.

-CS

Oooh, are you also a navy seal with 300 confirmed kills?
  • Options
    Hackerson said:
    How about we let the devs first try out what they planned before we shit all over their ideas?
    How about first stand into the fire and see if it hurts before try to avoid it? :D

You know, the smart learn from other's mistakes... the dumb learn from he's own mistakes, and the even dumber didn't learn at all.
    You are partly right, it still better being dumb, than being very dumb.
    Hackerson said:
    Rolleplaying in rp topic is ok. Rolleplaying in design discussion is toxic, and only going to ruin the game.

Reality work different, than how rp players imagine it. Noone going to just sit and watch for someone that may not even coming, that's not a fun job to do.
    Nevertheless, the troll is the one who dictate when and where to fight, not you. Him dying is 100% irrelevant, just as irrelevant whenever he kills someone or not. The main aim here is interrupting/wiping in the fight, and as you can't just pause/resume the fight, he can easily achieve it, and as much time as he/they wants.

There are also extreme misunderstanding in some ppls mind here.
    There are no thing "no end game" in a mmo. If a game won't have endgame, it simply dies. Not slowly, but very fast. Don't think that you reinvent the wheel here, there already was games designed without endgame content, it died so fast that if you blink you didn't saw it XD
    Ofc you can be hypocrite and spread that there are no endgame content, while there is, but that just lying, it maybe work as a advertisement, but it not change the facts...

Also non instanced high end PvP/PvE content simply doesn't work. You didn't reinvent the wheel here either. Countless games over decades tried it, so far not worked, never.
    Ofc you can continue trying... you can be egoist and say that "oh well the last 10 attempts failed horribly, but they are losers and I'm the xxxGOODxxx game developer, I invented the whole pcgaming lol, I can do it"...
    Yeah having both is fine, you can have open world bosses/PvP for the casuals to roam around, and it's a good advertisement too, but that's all. By design it never will be competitive, but will be casualfest zerging, where maybe the leaders sure need some skill, but the overwhelming majority of players will be jut a mindless drone there.

Also, if the designers are inexperienced there maybe will be PvP enabled around bosses at the start, but worry not, that option will quickly vanish, that's guaranteed...
  • Options
    edited November 2018

• Options
    Sikuba 

The thing with arenas is that they allow greater skill ceiling. This is the very reason one on one fights in boxing are a lot more interesting than a moshpit. As a high level pvp player you want to compare yourself one on one/two on two etc vs the other best players in the world/server. Sure, large battles are fun, but we ALSO need an arena. 

In a large fight you are limited by idiots ruining the fight, faceroll, aoe spam and lag. You cant be serious about "smashing" people in a 40v40, the only thing you will be smashing is low frame records. 

Sieges will most likely be a zerg rush. One team will almost always outnumber the other or they would not have attacked in the first place. And these massive battles are more about coordination and meta class stacking (Just like real life). Your skill will have an impact in large battles but it will be very limited. having 3 noob magies spam aoe in the middle will be tons and tons more valuable than a skilled fighter lagging around on a healer 

• Options
    @ChuckSteak

Historically, arenas and man on man/squad on squad combat have been used since the dawn of time to determinate winners of larger outcomes. They are not useless. 

And fighting in the arena just because the hell of it is not meaningless. The most popular hobby in the world is just 11v11 players trying to kick a ball in a net, and sports are not meaningless. They inspire other, they give athletes (or in ashes case, adventurers) the possibility to test themselves in a balanced enviroment where outside world RNG hazards don't impact the outcome. It is the only way to really determinate if you are a better fighter than the other player. 

And I am really sorry to drag you out from under the rock but even real life wars and battles are under strict regulations and controlled enviroment. There are dedicated locations where generals decide beforehand where to fight (to protect civilians and many other reasons). Also there are rules, you cant shot specific veichles or persons, the point is, even your fantasy COD wars are under a controlled enviroment. 

"I was most competitive when I used training wheels in my dads driveway" This is stupid man, nobody holds your hand in an arena. But in the open world you may very well get help from someone or get RNG on your side. You can just stay in a safe zone inviting all your casual noob friends and gang up 14v3 on your so called wow pvpers. That is what I call training wheels, your kind of gameplay.

Also 400v400? Lol. "
    there is a great deal of tactical movements, timing" I guess you mean from your PC to your Router and tactically positioned faceroll macros? Mate, those battles are a lagfest and faceroll. Show me one video of a 400v400 battle where I can see "tactical gameplay".