Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Critical Discussion!

Let's talk Crits, or Criticals.

Critical hits are mentioned as being in the game, and we all know that those are rare times when you get a bigger than expected damage output.  How rare should those be?  How big should those be?  (Some are player skill based, like headshots).

Should there be other 'Crits' in the game besides in combat?

- Critical Heals?  What should be their characteristics?

- Critical buffs?  Stronger than expected, longer than expected, or both?  Only player buffs or also buffs from tavern food or enchanted frogs?

- Critical crafting?  What should be the unexpected payoff?  A better item?  Use of less materials?  Figuring out a new and better recipe?

- Critical interactions with the game world?  Taming a herd of horses rather than just that one mare?  Cut down an old hollow tree and find a dwarven axehead inside?  Talk to an NPC who turns out to have been a childhood friend and they give you extra questing help?

I would love to hear your ideas on Crits, of any type!

All the best, TT

Comments

• Options
    I like critical everything. Critical damage? Yep, healing? Yep. What about defense? Certainly. Critical defense gets overlooked. I do think that crit chance should be capped. I think 50% is a good cap for it. And that should be extremely hard to get too.
  • Options
    I like critical everything. Critical damage? Yep, healing? Yep. What about defense? Certainly.
    You just like being in critical condition.
  • Options
    The more impactful RNG the game has the worse it will become. 
  • Options
    Crits make everything that much more interesting, leave it up to chance I say 'w'
  • Options
    Crits make everything that much more interesting, leave it up to chance I say 'w'
    I agree with you 100% even in real live there are rare moments of crits so why not keep them in game
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I agree with you 100% even in real live there are rare moments of crits so why not keep them in game
    Exactly, honestly one of my plans was to make a crit/luck build and just have a lot of fun with it in pvp 'w'
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Exactly, honestly one of my plans was to make a crit/luck build and just have a lot of fun with it in pvp 'w'
    so a halfling build ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    so a halfling build ^^
    No, I hate midgets.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    so a halfling build ^^
    No, I hate midgets.

• Options
    nagash said:
    Exactly. You can have a champion boxer fight a noob but all it takes is one lucky punch to end a match
  • Options
    Crits are good, i like all of that. However I would say, as a person who thuroughly enjoys building characters with super high crit rate amd crit dmg, its becuase its too powerfull in most games. Who doesnt want everyother hit to be a crit with 400% dmg modifier, a la Diablo toons. 

The rate of 50% all but assures you will crit your opponent for foolish dmg in one of the first few hits. Archers and anything ranged with crit will very quickly become the FOTM. I think 25% max rate chance and cap the dmg boost at less than 100% would field a rewarding experience without devolving into "pick your game".

-CS
  • Options
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    so a halfling build ^^
    No, I hate midgets.

You'll be melted before you get that close 'w'
  • Options
    Atama said:
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    so a halfling build ^^
    No, I hate midgets.

You'll be melted before you get that close 'w'
    haha well that would be fun to watch ^^