Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Are you happy with the decision of Apocalypse F2P Test/Game?

Hopefully I made this unbiased but I was curious how everyone feels about the Apocalypse test/game that will be launched soon. 

Comments

• Options
    I trust intrepid and I'm just here for the ride 
  • Options
    Just for the record I think this poll is worded just fine and the choices are appropriate.
  • Options
    I went with I don't like this decision. and this is completely predicated on the fact that they may keep it after the game launches. If they keep this only for testing I'm completely fine with it, but it honestly feel like they're trying to create a second game and have it exist even after the game is released which I think is completely stupid. These mechanics will be in game, there won't be a reason to have them separate after a games released. It honestly reminds me of EverQuest Next and Landmark where they had separated the building aspect into it's on Minecraft style game that didn't have the full game and it was confusing for a lot of people and ALSO required them to rename it, similarly how they renamed the test Apocalypse. Not only that but since they also have the lore tying into this mode how it's before the game starts IE escaping Verra before the cataclysm happens while the game starts with everyone returning to Verra will make it very odd to keep around.

So I'm ok with them having the mode if it's limited to just testing and gone after the games release, but if they keep it as a F2P even after the games released I don't much care for it.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    Just for the record I think this poll is worded just fine and the choices are appropriate.
    I'll give this poll an 88% for its structure.

A strong B+ is high praise from me.  
  • Options
    I went with I don't like this decision. and this is completely predicated on the fact that they may keep it after the game launches. If they keep this only for testing I'm completely fine with it, but it honestly feel like they're trying to create a second game and have it exist even after the game is released which I think is completely stupid. These mechanics will be in game, there won't be a reason to have them separate after a games released. It honestly reminds me of EverQuest Next and Landmark where they had separated the building aspect into it's on Minecraft style game that didn't have the full game and it was confusing for a lot of people and ALSO required them to rename it, similarly how they renamed the test Apocalypse. Not only that but since they also have the lore tying into this mode how it's before the game starts IE escaping Verra before the cataclysm happens while the game starts with everyone returning to Verra will make it very odd to keep around.

So I'm ok with them having the mode if it's limited to just testing and gone after the games release, but if they keep it as a F2P even after the games released I don't much care for it.
    I have to say this is what I was thinking as well but didn’t want to put any biased in the original post. 
  • Options
    Jahlon said:
    Atama said:
    I'll give this poll an 88% for its structure.

A strong B+ is high praise from me.  
    Thanks I enjoy your content and appreciate the compliment. 
  • Options
    Atama said:
    Thanks!
  • Options

What if they keep it after the game and keep refining it, BUT it is actually a part of the game and you need a sub to play it like the rest of the game? Just like a mini-game in the game :D
  • Options
    As mentioned, also hope it is just for testing. It can be its own thing later, but, as I'm sure is indeed the case, the main obligation should be to the mmo.
  • Options
    They have the opportunity to test a lot of game mechanics and they are taking it.  I don't see why i wouldn't agree with that.

F2P => a lot of testers => a lot of data and feedback 

Also F2P means that all sorts of gamers might try it. Even those who wouldn't bother to try the MMORPG. And some of those might stick around for the MMORPG if they like the gameplay. And a bigger Community means a brighter future for AoC.

Even if Apocalypse would continue after launch i personnaly would think of it more as a free Demo for (combat-)gameplay of the MMORPG. Even if Apocalypse has the 3 Modes it would still be very limited gameplay.

• Options
    Augentier said:
    They have the opportunity to test a lot of game mechanics and they are taking it.  I don't see why i wouldn't agree with that.

F2P => a lot of testers => a lot of data and feedback 

Also F2P means that all sorts of gamers might try it. Even those who wouldn't bother to try the MMORPG. And some of those might stick around for the MMORPG if they like the gameplay. And a bigger Community means a brighter future for AoC.

Even if Apocalypse would continue after launch i personnaly would think of it more as a free Demo for (combat-)gameplay of the MMORPG. Even if Apocalypse has the 3 Modes it would still be very limited gameplay.

I just get worried if at some point it is less of a test and more resources are being used to keep it as it’s own game. Hopefully I have nothing to worry about but I just want all the focus on the MMO we are hoping for. 
  • Options
    I think it is a good idea and Trust Intrepid with this decision. 
    They dont waste anything in this way ;D
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    Augentier said:
    [...]

I just get worried if at some point it is less of a test and more resources are being used to keep it as it’s own game. Hopefully I have nothing to worry about but I just want all the focus on the MMO we are hoping for. 
    I can understand your concern. I think no one here would like it if there were recources drawn away from the MMO. 

But currently we have no indication that this might happen. Currently AoC Apocalypse is just a test enviroment for certain game mechanics, elements and server performance which are used in the MMO.
    The more tests and feedback in this early stage the better the MMO will be at launch.

I trust intrepid With this because they seem to be very passionate about MMORPGs. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    I agree with Intrepid, and also trust in them. I love their passion and excitement, they share via Livestream.

Edit: They also said, that no resources (or not many resources?) are used for Apocalypse.
  • Options
    No!
  • Options
    I voted as I trust their decision, however, I am a skeptic first. So if they see an opportunity to bank off this in any form, I'm sure they will seize the moment. 
  • Options
    I wish it felt more like mmo combat, but I understand and desire a well tested combat system and opening it up to the public is quite feasibly the best way to get that.
  • Options
    I had a hard time choosing between my voted answer and NO. 

I want to help test for the game, but I'm not a fan of BR.  Now that experience points will be added for cosmetics I'm even more disgruntled.  My thinking was just by participating you were helping and that would be sufficient. And the thought that this would continue even after launch makes me unhappy, as now it seems more like another game (and that was the plan all along) than just a testing phase.
  • Options
    @T-Elf
    You and me both.
  • Options
    im fine with all the mods being separate and totally action focused, plus i've read that yo ueventually get rewaards for the actual MMO for playing them.

its like a funnel to bring more action oriented people to the mmo or just play some action game when you dont have time or dont want to sink several hours in the mmo.

Also in my opinion those mods will obvisously be used as an Arena where they will get tons of data that will profit the mmo.

Ping/latency/performance to improve mmo and netcode before release.

BR is a good way to balance 1v1 scenario and small scale team balance.

Siege 100v100 will be the way to balance large scale PVP and classes

Survival is the way to balance "raid" and large scale PvE.

in a single FREE to play they actually get 2 Years of Data to crunch for free which will help deliver the best possible balance and optimization before the game is even released, i don't get why some people get mad everyone wins.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    im fine with all the mods being separate and totally action focused, plus i've read that yo ueventually get rewaards for the actual MMO for playing them.

its like a funnel to bring more action oriented people to the mmo or just play some action game when you dont have time or dont want to sink several hours in the mmo.

Also in my opinion those mods will obvisously be used as an Arena where they will get tons of data that will profit the mmo.

Ping/latency/performance to improve mmo and netcode before release.

BR is a good way to balance 1v1 scenario and small scale team balance.

Siege 100v100 will be the way to balance large scale PVP and classes

Survival is the way to balance "raid" and large scale PvE.

in a single FREE to play they actually get 2 Years of Data to crunch for free which will help deliver the best possible balance and optimization before the game is even released, i don't get why some people get mad everyone wins.
    People seem to only be getting upset about the possibility of this turning into what fortnite BR is and these modes being a second game at release with resources for the game being split for everything.

I personally don't give a shit what the devs do, as long as they keep focusing on the core gameplay experience (the MMO side) and are truly using these modes just to gather data. I can see where people might feel like they are getting burnt though.

EDIT: On a side note, these modes would make great add ons AFTER the main release :)
  • Options
    I'm just happy to be able to play the game so soon, while also earning some extra rewards for when the main game gets released.
    :smile:

• Options
    Think opening this up is a good idea.  Means they will get more data to get the main game right for the paying players at release.  Might also reel in some new players hooked on the promise of cosmetics earned through testing.
  • Options
    I voted yes, my reasons?

First off, I deplore pvp. Just don't like it.

Now my yes reasons.

First off I get to play with the character creation. Spending time crafting just how my eye candy looks. Don't care if other people see all the details, though it's satisfying when you get a whisper over how good you look, I want it for Meeeee!

I get to run rampant through every class available, testing the feel of not only the skills but some of the core systems as I deliberately try to break the game. Bwahahaha!

Then I wait... hoping, praying, BEGGING, that when the other classes are released they are added. All others will be ignored as I DIVE into Summoner. Then I release my minions and companions to lay waste to my enemies.

Finally, the Tulnar. Learning just how non-human I can make them. I don't want "Man-in-a-mask" but some actual options to switch legs from Plantigrade to Digigrade and gimme that tail to swish through the air, long muzzle, sharp teeth gleaming.
    I doubt I will get all I want but if I can get most or all of those key points. I'll be happy and my wallet will creak open.
  • Options
    @AreeSoothsayer I'm guessing you haven't actually done the BR yet, as you cannot do the features you mentioned so far in it.
  • Options
    It's a skeleton of the MMORPG and not even a good adaptation of it due to no classes, no customization and no background. Of course this can all be added (I've noticed they've added achievements) but this will not encourage people to move from Apoc to Ashes because the gameplay will be completely different. Unless they add more and more to Apoc it merely detracts from the main focus but by adding to Apoc it detracts from the main focus.
  • Options
    The fact that they are adding to apocalypse does leave a bad taste for me, I would not mind if it were just gameplay but items and achievements for use in the game seems scummy to me. I mean we are here for a mmo, not a BR.  Still all we can do is wait till alpha 1 really starts 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I've never been a fan of the BR game style and never touched Fortnite.

I recognize I'm not the target audience for this, and thats ok. I'll still help them test because in the long run we get a better MMO for it.

I just don't really enjoy it and after an hour or two I find myself going back to other games.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Karthos said:
    I've never been a fan of the BR game style and never touched Fortnite.

I recognize I'm not the target audience for this, and thats ok. I'll still help them test because in the long run we get a better MMO for it.

I just don't really enjoy it and after an hour or two I find myself going back to other games.
    I concur with this esteemed colleague.  I don't get the BR craze and I expect it'll be done in 6 months.  If this helps the real game go forward better, then so be it.  I just want to start playing the game that's the real game. 

Thought I would stipulate that in regards to the poll, at least add in a "huh?" option for those of us not following every bit of news such as this.  lol
  • Options
    Noooooo....you mean Macarena Mondays while I play with my fidget spinner won't be a thing? Daaaaaammmmnnnn you ephemeral collective social trends.