Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The battle royal should be removed from Apocalypse

Now I'll start off with saying I was never a big fan of the battle royal or what they did with it by creating Apocalypse. Did the battle royal serve a purpose? Sure, it allowed them to test a lot of stuff in game. Basic combat animations, spells that'll become skills, movement, environment, stress testing servers etc. But the BR idea was not very popular and got a lot flak for creating it, but again, it had a purpose. Fast forward to apocalypse and the claim that the testing and battle royal was confusing for people so intrepid decides to make it,  it's own game mode... but also have it be a catalyst for testing? (Insert your confused Nick Young memes now) yeah, that cleared up confusion alright. 

With apocalypse being its own game mode that'll persist after and during the MMORPG it's gotten a few people upset and I think it's the BR... there's no need for it now and it's seriously hated. The hate displayed on everything apocalypse and battle royal related during the live stream yesterday shows how people felt about it amf rightfully so.... it offers nothing to the MMORPG now. The battle royal isn't great for combat testing, you spend hardly any time fighting and more time running around collecting gear. The actual combat isn't even the combat that'll be in the MMORPG, there's no class abilities or kits and I doubt everyone is just going to have 100 hp in the game. Not only that but the actual battle royal won't exist in the MMORPG, however; the siege will. The siege will have class kits, more action, more fights, actual MMORPG mechanics and everything you could test in the battle royal like server test, combat... real combat not some battle royal combat that doesn't depict actual game combat, skins, weapons,  abilities, collusion etc. All in an actual mode that exist in the MMORPG. So why keep the battle royal once the siege releases. You can have all the quest and objectives you are putting in the battle royal in siege and later horde mode. Apocalypse can be fine with horde and siege. BR isn't helping the MMORPG anymore with the siege mode being a catalyst to test everything for the game and transfer it over to AoC, especially when we'll actually have sieges in the game. I see the decisions already souring the game (which isn't even done yet) for people and the constant complaints on apocalypse. 

Comments

• Options
    The sad truth is BR make money so I dont see this standalone not being at least part BR. all we can do is wait for the MMO 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Any additional resources put into the Apocalypse BR are wasted resources. Work on the mutha ucking MMO please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqxnm6t3QMw
  • Options
    Any additional resources put into the Apocalypse BR are wasted resources. Work on the mutha ucking MMO please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqxnm6t3QMw
    This is like watching a fish flounder about on the deck ignorant of the fact that water is so close if it would at least try to direct its efforts. You cant help but feel something akin to pity. The question is, do you help the fish? Or let it flap about until it either finds the water, or dies trying?
  • Options
    This is like watching a fish flounder about on the deck ignorant of the fact that water is so close if it would at least try to direct its efforts. You cant help but feel something akin to pity. The question is, do you help the fish? Or let it flap about until it either finds the water, or dies trying?
    I'd put the fish back in the water. Unless it was a delicious tuna fish. In that case... sushi time!

Wait. Am I the fish in this scenario?  :/
  • Options
    Who cares if this stays after the release. You don't have to play it.
  • Options
    YuccaPalm said:
    that may be true but we did fund it  :D
  • Options
    nagash said:
    YuccaPalm said:
    that may be true but we did fund it  :D
    But we're still getting the full mmo experience. I don't see the problem of the apocalypse standalone game.
  • Options
    As additional game modes are added into apocalypse, and players are given more options on what to play we'll see how popular the BR game mode is compared to the Siege mode and Horde mode.
    Personally I hate BR and would like to see it done away with, but as long as it serves a purpose for Intrepid and AoC it should stick around. 
  • Options
    I personally think dissatisfied is a better word, as much as I prefer not to see the whole Apocalypse thing it does have it's uses and as long as we get everything in the mmo as promised then I can't complain too much.
  • Options
    Ha haw! You people are still freaking out about the BR mode.  :D
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If this is the hill you want to die on, then go for it... But honestly, I don't even see why people care anymore.

The game is 100% funded and they really aren't diverting resources away from the MMO for this as they use the BR as a testing environment for the MMO.

I don't particularly enjoy BRs, but it is what it is and I'm willing to let Intrepid do their thing as I enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    I understood the testing grounds in the BR as being part of the development.
    I do not see how making Apocalypse a stand alone game helps development.
    Also, turning the just fine for a testing environment BR into a stand alone persistent game obviously took resources. It didn't just accidentally happen over night by itself for free.

Unless of course Apocalypse is going to be part of the MMORPG, then of course the resources weren't wasted.

Either way, like I have said in 3 other threads, I do think the testing will benefit Ashes in the future. I just wish I knew about this particular mode when I was throwing my money at them.
  • Options
    Arzosah said:
    As additional game modes are added into apocalypse, and players are given more options on what to play we'll see how popular the BR game mode is compared to the Siege mode and Horde mode.
    Personally I hate BR and would like to see it done away with, but as long as it serves a purpose for Intrepid and AoC it should stick around. 
    Thing is, it's very popular. It has spread throughout the FPS market like cancer bringing with it an overwhelming wave of cancerous/toxic followers from the steam community everywhere it go's.

It is extremely popular and the issue you guys are talking about here, taking away from funding, is not the real issue. The real issue is that a very large portion of the Ash community will be pulled into that garbage. Many of those who would rather stay MMO will be pulled out and into BR by people who will only play for the BR.

There is zero question in my mind this is how it will play out. Whoever thought this was a good idea is insane.
  • Options
    I mean to me it seems a little silly to be so mad about this. If most of the combat is how pvp combat is going to work in the game (likely) and a LOT of art assets have already been made (which we know just from watching previous videos) then to make the Br all they have to do is spawn a bunch of assets on a map and add random spawn locations with random loot tables. Is this something that took a bit of time? Yes absolutely. Is it something that is taking up so much time away from Ashes that it is worth getting mad at? Probably not; again, most of the assets for this were already in made just having to be placed.

Honestly, I think it is actually smart to make it a BR mode at first (stress testing), and with the addition of castle siege and horde mode will give players who want to understand a bit about the games direction a chance to, while also doing what they said and gathering feedback. If people use it as a chance to actually critique (properly) the combat systems, servers etc... this could actually speed up the development of the game.
  • Options
    Yep. The only work that needed to really go into Apocalypse at its base conception was the storm mechanic and the loot rolls. Everything else was already rendered material for the MMO placed within the world zone. Steven and crew said that the effort was minimal on the live stream. I can understand the vendetta against BRs themselves, but the claims that the MMO is stalled due to Apoc are uninformed.
  • Options
    It's now a revenue stream apart from the packages and the store (when they choose to update it).  They couldn't get enough people to play it to help with the massive testing that they wanted to accomplish, so they incentivized it and probably thought, eh, might as well just keep it up.  Hopefully, it is providing good data to make the MMO we really want to play; at least that's how I'm looking at it.
  • Options
    It's only partly how combat will work in the game, as they will still have tab-targeting as options while building your character. I wonder if Tab-Targeting combat testing will have it's own version of Apocalypse now.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I am one of the community who wanted to see combat mechanic/cosmetic development. I see this stand alone mode as a response to that input being multi purposed. If it brings players from other genre to our MMO, great. More fuel = bigger fires. If they are toxic, we will be the abatement.                                                                         " In AoC, we don't play the game... we are the game"

• Options
    If they are toxic, we will be the abatement.                                                              
    How?  By example?  They won't care.  By calling them out?  They won't care.

My only hope is that the awful people brought it to do the BR stay only in the BR.  I know it's a vain hope though.

And IS better make it so there's no disincentive to avoid the BR.  If they declare the BR an important part of the game and gate content or advancement behind it to force people into it and justify its existence, I will declare this game a garbage sham and Steven a shyster.  Including a BR in this game permanently is like finding out your favorite athlete is a sex offender.  You don't feel good about being a fan despite the fact that being a scumbag doesn't do anything to diminish the athletic accomplishments.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I must say, much like the biggest BR game out now, my fear is that, what started off as a passionate project that was meant to be a completely different game altogether, ended up taking a back seat because the BR side was actually quite popular, thus it became the main priority of the studio that created it, with the fans of the original intended game feeling a bit ignored and abandoned. 

If this game follows a similar path then I give up waiting for a true MMORPG, Intrepid, do what you want but, just remember why all of us came here in the first place.
  • Options
    Stop being selfish. I don't see why this still can't be there. And they can keep using it for bugs and balance
  • Options
    I see BR's sole purpose now as an advertisement. Any combat or bug test can be done in the other modes that will be a part of the mmo. Not a fan of BR and would like it removed as well but as long as it is benefiting us in the long run it can stay. A lot of us hate it right now and thats fine because we can just stay away from it and no harm is being done. If however, the BR somehow ends up more popular than siege or horde mode, than IS better remove it fast because it no longer will be advertising the mmo but instead creating hype for a high fantasy BR.
  • Options
    insomnia said:
    Stop being selfish. I don't see why this still can't be there. And they can keep using it for bugs and balance
    You can use the Siege for all of that and the siege will actually represent what's going to be in the game with class kits and abilities. BR doesn't do any of that. you also don't engage in a lot of action in the BR reducing the chance to test stuff. The BR brings absolutely nothing to testing now that we have the BR. so why have it? It's not going to be testing. It's going to be for it's own game mode that won't have anything to do with the MMORPG. Everything you can use it for to test, can be tested in the siege. People have funded a MMORPG. They have backed the MMORPG they have asked for the MMORPG. Keeping the BR around is disingenuous. It's something they're monetizing as a separate game. If they brought this all back after the release of AoC I wouldn't care, but we don't even have a game that we've backed yet and already there's a new game by Intrepid before AoC is even out? Instead we're getting a mode with a ton of cosmetics (a little too many imo) that really doesn't help the MMORPG. And you can say, "Well it'll be used for testing and anything that goes into the BR is an asset that'll go into the actual game", and I'll say that the siege and horde mode can do all that it's self...while actually representing features that'll be in the game as well as class kits. Nothing you do in the battle royal will contribute to balancing anything because that combat and those features aren't what the games combat is going to be like. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sternzy said:
    Arzosah said:
    Thing is, it's very popular. It has spread throughout the FPS market like cancer bringing with it an overwhelming wave of cancerous/toxic followers from the steam community everywhere it go's.

It is extremely popular and the issue you guys are talking about here, taking away from funding, is not the real issue. The real issue is that a very large portion of the Ash community will be pulled into that garbage. Many of those who would rather stay MMO will be pulled out and into BR by people who will only play for the BR.

There is zero question in my mind this is how it will play out. Whoever thought this was a good idea is insane.
    I'd say the whole "pulling funding away from the MMO" is also a huge issue.

We've already seen Everquest Next fail because the devs tried to turn their terrain building toolkit into its own game called Landmark. And that was SOE, a company that had the power/funding of Sony behind it.

I just hope Intrepid knows what they're getting into. They are about to attract a whole new fanbase that will demand that they devote an increasing amount of time and energy to developing this arena PvP game; and those new fans will not care how the development of the MMO might suffer as a result.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    The sad truth is BR make money so I dont see this standalone not being at least part BR. all we can do is wait for the MMO 
    That's not the truth, but a misinterpretation.
    HYPE sells. 2-5 year ago this hype was mobas. Now it's BR.
    But hype didn't last forever...
    Now you can milk it... but by the time this game will be released, it will be already too late.
    Heck even now, it's already too late... the market is full...sure you can try... but you can't compete with a f2p game already owning the wast majority of the potential playerbase.

Though I think they just want to milk a few kiddo, which fly here for the BR, and nothing else. If they would build their success on having BR mode in a subscription based game released years after the F2P fornite, then :) ... it will be a big fail....
  • Options
    Apocalypse is just incentivized testing of systems.
    The BR is more "fun" than just testing login, testing the UI and sitting around waiting for things to break.

My Bartle score is: Explorer 87%; Socializer 73% ; Achiever 47%; Killer 0%
    I spend my time in the BR exploring the map, checking out the new biomes while hiding from combatants, and seeing how long I can survive without attacking other players.
    This weekend, I came in 3rd place and 4th place. It's common for me to get 5th or 6th place.

All of the stuff that is in the BR is going to also be in the MMORPG in some form, so, I don't know why people would be complaining about Apoc being a thing.
    When questing and leveling are added, the devs will be able to gather data as we test the fundamentals of those mechanics.
    Same when castle sieges and horde modes are added.

If people enjoy Apocalypse enough that they want to pay the devs extra for that - great. The MMORPG can be even better!
    If people want to wait for content they like before jumping into testing, that's OK, too.

Apocalypse is not going to compete with Fortnite. And the devs are not intending Apoc to compete with Fortnite or any other BR.
    It's just a simple way of making testing more "fun". And -if people want to pay more for that- great!!

• Options
    I think the BR existing after testing is a bad idea. I can foresee these types of scenarios:

Hey, when are you going to log in? We are going to try that dungeon again.

-Oh sorry man, I'm going to play some Apocalypse for my skin.

Hey, can you craft the next tier of armor yet?

-I was going to work on that but I started playing the BR instead.

Where are all our pvpers? We need some backup because our rival guild is raiding our node

-I think they are playing the BR because they added a new skin.

That's a cool skin man, which dungeon did that come from?

-Oh I got it from the BR mode

Now I don't have a problem with people playing BRs... I do think they are a fad but whatever. My problem is the playerbase being split up and adding carryover rewards. The fact that I have to play something other than Ashes to unlock certain skins is a horrible decision. 

This game was suppose to split off from the corporate norms of screwing over the players and making them jump through hoops to get things. Adding legendary skins when these things should be obtainable through hard work in the mmo is pretty messed up. 

I understand you want to stress the systems and that costs resources and I understand the only way to get people to do that is with rewards and I do like the idea of inheriting a weapon (skin) but I think this could be handled differently. 

Why not make the BR an event when the game goes live? As an alternative to sieges and horde-modes you could have mysterious portals reactivating and people traveling through time back to the apocalypse and have the gods telling them they will reward the strongest. Bam, now you have lore, motivation, and you are only slightly phasing your player-base for a moment. Not only that, you know have a reason why BR mechanics would exist when they would otherwise feel really out of place.
  • Options
    If people want to play the BR instead of the MMORPG, that is not a problem.

In the MMORPG, you don't really run dungeons just to run dungeons as in other MMORPGs. You run dungeons because the denizens of the dungeon are a threat to your node. So, most likely people will choose to defend their node over jumping into a BR session. Especially since a BR session only takes 20 minutes and can be done any time solo.

Ask someone who is currently playing the MMORPG to craft for you. Or wait for the person to craft whenever they are ready to craft. Pretty selfish to be expecting people to want to do what you want them to do whenever you want them to do it.
    They might be choosing to escort a caravan or participate in a castle siege or gather some resources rather than dungeon delve or craft for you. Or they might choose to play the BR or play D&D or read a book.
    Someone else choosing to play the BR instead of the MMORPG is not an issue.
    It's an MMORPG - there will be plenty of other people for you to play with, but also...
    Patience is a virtue.

They are going to be testing the mechanics of the BR, castle sieges and mob waves anyways. No reason not to package it for people who enjoy that as a separate game.
    But has the bonus of giving the studio more money to develop the MMORPG.
  • Options
    I think everything the dev team is doing with Apocalypse is perfect.  They have made a very creative way to ***attract testers***, who are a vital part of ***making the MMO*** great for when the game releases.  <3