Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will map design be what decides where initial populations go?

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I think people will be drawn to explore or to turtle, and because of that I think we'll see the first cities near spawns and then the rest in the most impressive or interestingly designed areas.

I imagine this will happen to some extent because rationing features to counter this impact would be a bit frustrating for players.

What do yal think? Will the most interesting parts of the map capture your heart and your energies or will you settle in fast to grind out a head start?

Comments

• I think node types are predetermined so yeah map design will def play a role here but keep in mind as nodes grow, things around them change and POI start to show up. For me personally, i'd love to explore every corner of the Verra world when i first start out
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • grisugrisu Member
    edited April 2019
    Hard to say, it's still, for me, a bit obscure how the first outposts (away from the initial ZoI spawn) happens. You need to do stuff in a new ZoI to make a t1 encampment, but you need the t1 encampent for content creation.

I assume the spawn zoi will just send you farther and farther out until you start doing stuff in neighbouring ZoI and you keep going from there with new outposts (rinse and repeat).
    So unless you bruteforce your way deep into the world, you jsut naturally advance into the wilderness with some people staying behin somewhere for ressources or other important key elements.

Will see how it all turns out. We plan to go for a castle anyway so we will just do what feels natural during the initial leveling phase.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • ZaraZara Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Due to us not knowing what nodes will be spawning in those specific locations, it'd be somewhat helpful to see good locations for ports etc. But I'm curious to see if it'll be pre-determined for Alpha 1 and then change once live.
  • nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2019
    czar wrote: »
    Due to us not knowing what nodes will be spawning in those specific locations, it'd be somewhat helpful to see good locations for ports etc. But I'm curious to see if it'll be pre-determined for Alpha 1 and then change once live.

They said during a stream a long time ago that they would rather not change them for launch unless absolutely needed.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    I like trade, so I'm drawn to central areas. It's interesting that people could just do higher-level content that unlocks around their node instead of exploring all over...curious how this unfolds too
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have an idea that I would like to strike out away from the spawn points but the eventual layout of the map may determine where I try to set up shop so to speak.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think cities, like RL will more than likely be gravitated heavily towards the water adjacent nodes
  • whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Considering the fact I don't care where I settle, I plan on going wherever my guild leader @czar decides :smiley: I honestly think there will be a lot of people like me that just follow their friends or guilds.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Considering the fact I don't care where I settle, I plan on going wherever my guild leader @czar decides :smiley: I honestly think there will be a lot of people like me that just follow their friends or guilds.

We are in the same boat there it seems.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace