Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you guys handle your work/college lives with your gaming life?

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I try to set at least 2 hours a day for MMOs but depending on the time of year my work does come first
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Heyo,
    got a pretty normal job over here in germany. working 37h/ week and usually i can spend like 7-8 hours a day without totally getting wasted but dont do this unless there is a new Path of Exile league or something like Ashes is getting realeased. (talking working days here)
    Also if you dont mind spending your Holiday for Gaming i usually do that twice a year for 1 week each. and in this week i just game the living hell out of social life.
    so yeah i think i can manage it pretty well but i guess ill never be the best of the best in anything but rather top 5. Haha jk
    And i do my "workout" on the way home or to work, i live 10km away from the laboratory and i almost always go by bike.

Hope i was able to help.
    dmkw
  • Options
    CeiventCeivent Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    I've had to change a few things to make my gaming like work out. I have a son and am about to open a Bake Shop with my wife, it's going to take some time to get used to these changes. So i've had to limit on how much i game and the only real changes i've made are to my playstyle. i used to just go from one area to the next and complete everything. Now i'm more efficient and I take a look at what I can chain together or skip all together so that I can keep up with friends. Unless that game is New World / Atlas, because those games throw me off with having no quest. =|
  • Options
    FhinFhin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fortunately I'm in a pretty high semester right now, which means I only spend 6-10h per week at university.
    That leaves me with enough time to work part time and play my games as well.
    A couple of years ago it was quite stressful, though^^
    Qsb9psK.png
  • Options
    easyeasy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    >interacting with normies
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can play for 4-5 hours Friday nights and on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
    Sometimes if my D&D group cancels a session it frees up a solid 8 hours, sometimes a little more.
    The wife tends to have things she enjoys doing so when she is out and about I play. When she is home rarely does she care what's on the tele due to her mostly using it for background noise.
    We're one of those couples that chose not to have kids, so as an adult with an actual profession I have plenty of time to game. It's just mostly with friends playing D&D.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    ZaraZara Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Get all your work/irl shit out of the way right away and you’ll be fine!
  • Options
    FulltimeWifeFulltimeWife Member, Intrepid Pack
    working 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. like this i just have to get the priority's out of the way and after that got the rest of the day for myselve. this is perfect for gaming ! but have to say that after some years the sence of having 'weekend' is totally gone XD
    wxkas80nggsz.gif
  • Options
    ZaraZara Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Easylife you live up to your forum name
  • Options
    poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ditch school
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Well, a couple of years back when I was still a university student, I used to spend a good 6+ hours in games some days. These days I'm in a full time job and I definitely cannot spend that amount of time on games. Does this bother me; nope. Simple reason being that I feel I can enjoy the time I spend in a game now rather than using it just to waste my time on something.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Go to work, come home play video games, repeat...
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    ChikaraChikara Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    This is a question for all of us college students, and working life people that can't seem to find time to do the things we love while juggling the tasks we're required to do?

Are you guys happy with how much time you are able to spend on games? Or do you find that you are unable to do most of what you wish you would be able to accomplish? Do you sometimes feel that your gaming habits take away from your real-life productivity?

My work ethic for school is a little hardcore so I'm usually fine to play after I've finished all my work. I just can't rest easy or play knowing I have work to do so some days when I have a lot of assignments I may not play at all and others where I've already finished my work I could play all day. I find that only when I'm really addicted to a game it might impede on my work productivity
    ZmSEpCu.png
  • Options
    FulltimeWifeFulltimeWife Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2019
    dw
    wxkas80nggsz.gif
  • Options
    Even at work I usually dont have enough to do. Dont tell my Leadership. So I have set up in my shop a switch for us all to Smash on. It's also how we settle arguements.
  • Options
    I have plenty to do at work, doesn't keep me off forums and wikis.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    ezenkrul87ezenkrul87 Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Games will always be there...we hope eh?
    I find that there is always a healthy balance and have to realize that video games are suppose to be entertainment, not a life.
    I will say I am thankful that I have help with the house cleaning and cooking which gives me a bit more time to sneak in some game time after work and errands/some chores.

Though when Ashes comes out....what is balance? What is life?
    Ezenkrul - Phoenix Initiative
  • Options
    SadrithSadrith Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I work full-time and volunteer hundreds of hours a year, but I still find time for me. Sometimes that's vegging in front of the TV or going to a movie with the wife, sometimes that's reading, sometimes that's a nap. But, more often than not, it's gaming. I only get a couple of hours a day at most, typically in the evenings before bed. But having limited time just makes me savor it even more.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    My job allows me to pay bills, which give me a place to play video games. Video games may be a form of entertainment but with games being online they also become a method to meet people from around the world and it becomes more than just entertainment, it's also a form of a social life and escape from reality.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I run a series of call centers that spoof calls to sell people mortgages with low interest rates and offer them "deals" on consumer products.

FTC tried, but cant stop me!

It's a nice passive income,while providing people a service. I mean,why even have a phone unless you're going to be getting a call an hour on it daily.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    dphantomtvdphantomtv Member, Alpha One
    I do manual labor and college alongside streaming regularly, and the answer on how is:

I don’t sleep /s
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
    He's a phantom | twitch.tv/dphantomtv
  • Options
    desseusdesseus Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    I am fairly certain I should be the last person you listen on this sort of subject if you care about your work/studies as I had to pull some sleepless nights to get projects finished and then present said projects to everyone whilst being on your 42nd hour of no sleep. :p Worth it though I still passed. Anyway I used to prioritise my research and structuring of my thesis before putting pen to paper as it were, making sure I had plenty of quotes and evidence to reference to support my points, and I would try to get this done in the time I had in class before then typing it all up at home where I can easily listen to music and bang out several paragraphs in a few hours. any time left over before deadline was strictly gaming. Now however it is different being a small time streamer I try to make as much time as I can for games outside of family commitments do during the easter holidays right now as I do not need to take or pick up my little sister from school I have plenty of free time..In fact I am trying out Albion Online as I type this :D
  • Options
    Faeri PinkettFaeri Pinkett Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I honestly wish I could reply toe veryone!
    @Ceivent A bake shop!? That's awesome! Just put a computer down in the shop and play games when it's slow / nothing to do. (make it a gaming bake-shop matter of fact!)

@Desseus I feel that... I don't sleep more than 3-4 hour (naps) a day on busy weeks. My boyfriend hates it. He literally was yelling at me because I started passing out while driving the other day.

@Karthos okay so your the person I gotta report, I understand. STOP CALLING ME

@nick10281 Now that's conflict resolution! #myfuturehopefully

@Nelirya I understand that completely. 100% Whenever I get the chance to relax and play I love it.
    2j50vmq.gif
  • Options
    Never had any issues managing my time, if anything now with work its easier to have plenty of time to game and do other things. Easy to take time off when a game youre hyped about releases to hardcore it out early and then after the first few week or so back into normal schedule.

Just have to prioritize whats important to you.
    wcjKYgH.png
  • Options
    @Bangeo that captain falco though, fan of him from his games or from smash? :o
    2j50vmq.gif
  • Options
    @Bangeo that captain falco though, fan of him from his games or from smash? :o

I played F Zero back in day on my NES as a kid and then mained him on Super Smash Melee.
    wcjKYgH.png
  • Options
    JaminJamin Member
    Working, Maybe an hour or two at night, then at least from 6 till 2 on Friday night, ready for all day Saturday and most of Sunday.

However, at uni, I tended to play a lot more than I should have done, and skipped revision etc to play games. I was lucky in that I had a good memory, but if that hadn't been there, I would have been well and truly screwed

I think its good to find a schedule and stick to a schedule, then that'll reduce the chance of becoming addicted. However, if new content is out, I'm all for taking holiday time off work to go through the new content.
    Jaminsyg.png
    "As you wish... I care not"
  • Options
    @Jamin I feel like you have a solid understanding of yourself! So you know your strengths and weaknesses.
    :) Schedules are great. I wish I had one, but Literally shoot myself in the foot every time I try.
    2j50vmq.gif
  • Options
    JaminJamin Member
    edited April 2019
    @Jamin I feel like you have a solid understanding of yourself! So you know your strengths and weaknesses.
    :) Schedules are great. I wish I had one, but Literally shoot myself in the foot every time I try.

@Fairypinkett I said "Its good to find a schedule", however, I have not yet found it. So currently taking a break from gaming until I have a clear routine.
    Jaminsyg.png
    "As you wish... I care not"