Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

InGame Marriage Benefits

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    You won't need to be married to access the freeholds of other people. We already know there are access settings for sharing freeholds. They didn't want to do a "joint ownership" of Freeholds.

The only tangible benefit I think that would be cool for marriages is allowing you to put your freehold down adjacent to your spouses freehold spot without having the offset distance between them. The only stipulation would be that if you get divorced, then the freehold place second gets evicted.

But then I remember that people will exploit anything, so people will make second accounts and marry themselves so they can have 2 freeholds next to each other.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Bangeo wrote: »
    Next youll want characters to age and die too, or maybe even have sex, you know for RP purposes amiright.

So...no RP for you?...
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Lumbermark wrote: »
    teyloune wrote: »
    Next Level: Have NPC Kids and care for them.

So an MMORPG without role-play is what you want?

An argument based on exaggeration is invalid and you are only proving to lack any valid arguments.

RP not kept in check can lead to bad outcomes quite fast and sometimes very badly impact real life where relationships are broken and some people may be even physically hurt. This is why often RP is kept out of main servers of given MMO. It's one thing to role-play around your character class and general role player may have in the game but something else to openly support things like marriage and push people into a slippery slope of human interaction where someone can get easily hurt mentally or physically. Besides what next? Adoption? Do we really need to push all those things into a game and expose people to unnecessary problems?

So...the question was what to expect from marriage in-game, because Intrepid alredy say IS GOING TO BE AN OPTION, the people who does not like the idea can't do anything about it, you are just making assumptions about RP, and tell me again how's you coming in a discussion about what to expect about an ingame dynamic and posting "Marriage in MMORPG... wth is this? An Asian MMORPG?" and then making assumptions based on...well nothing it's not exaggerating?...

Just because something will be in the game it doesn't mean people can't voice their opinion on the subject.
    I'm not making any assumptions about RP because it's a fact that people lost their relationships IRL due to RP in the game not to mention cases of RL harassment and stalking taken to the extreme.
    WoW is a prime example of how toxic, destructive and dangerous RP can get.

Contrary to your failed hyperbolic argument you seem to be confused because while I voiced my dislike toward marriage in the game I never said that I want a game without RP. Some degree or RP is actually good but marriage is a step too far and I already said why.

If you want to argue with me at least find a list of logical errors commonly used in arguments and try to avoid them because it's pointless to argue with someone who uses straw man argument and hyperbole in the same sentence.
    Ao-C-Forum-Sig-by-JINX.png
  • Options

An argument based on exaggeration is invalid and you are only proving to lack any valid arguments.

RP not kept in check can lead to bad outcomes quite fast and sometimes very badly impact real life where relationships are broken and some people may be even physically hurt. This is why often RP is kept out of main servers of given MMO. It's one thing to role-play around your character class and general role player may have in the game but something else to openly support things like marriage and push people into a slippery slope of human interaction where someone can get easily hurt mentally or physically. Besides what next? Adoption? Do we really need to push all those things into a game and expose people to unnecessary problems?

So...the question was what to expect from marriage in-game, because Intrepid alredy say IS GOING TO BE AN OPTION, the people who does not like the idea can't do anything about it, you are just making assumptions about RP, and tell me again how's you coming in a discussion about what to expect about an ingame dynamic and posting "Marriage in MMORPG... wth is this? An Asian MMORPG?" and then making assumptions based on...well nothing it's not exaggerating?...

Just because something will be in the game it doesn't mean people can't voice their opinion on the subject.
    I'm not making any assumptions about RP because it's a fact that people lost their relationships IRL due to RP in the game not to mention cases of RL harassment and stalking taken to the extreme.

Contrary to your failed hyperbolic argument you seem to be confused because while I voiced my dislike toward marriage in the game I never said that I want a game without RP. Some degree or RP is actually good but marriage is a step too far and I already said why.

If you want to argue with me at least find a list of logical errors commonly used in arguments and try to avoid them because it's pointless to argue with someone who uses straw man argument and hyperbole in the same sentence.

And instead of making a post about how "taking RP too far" is bad for the MMORPG you come into a discussion of someone who likes the idea of ingame marriage and wants to ask what is expected from it to say, "this is wrong" "this is going to ruin the game" "this makes games bad" and THEN you want me to give you argument...yeah you better go and check out how a debate work little one, oh and one more thing, just because you use words like hyperbole in an argument doesn't give it sense
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019

---
    well quotes are different, hope this looks right after posting.
    @JinxTheGamer, so because some people managed to get way to involved with an online RP relationship you dislike the thought of marriage in the game?

What about the gamers that have died due to neglecting themselves during marathon sessions? Do you dislike games that allow you to play for longer than 8 or 12 hours straight? I mean, actual death seems worse to loved ones than losing a relationship due to bad choices.

You think the toxic environment from WOW is due to RP? So... all the toxic people that troll on FB, Twitter, etc., are all potentially role playing? Because, without RP there would be less of a toxic environment? That seems unfounded, toxic people are toxic regardless of rather or not they RP.

I for one dislike unnecessary buffs in games due to RP decision making. I think marriage would be nice and being able to buy a bride/groom outfit or rings that only married couples can buy (with no added benefits) would be nice.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    jinxthegamerjinxthegamer Member
    edited April 2019

And instead of making a post about how "taking RP too far" is bad for the MMORPG you come into a discussion of someone who likes the idea of ingame marriage and wants to ask what is expected from it to say, "this is wrong" "this is going to ruin the game" "this makes games bad" and THEN you want me to give you argument...yeah you better go and check out how a debate work little one, oh and one more thing, just because you use words like hyperbole in an argument doesn't give it sense

I don't know why you are complaining since you did engage with me into an argument about the marriage in the game. Instead of providing actual arguments to support your position you are just twisting my words ( straw man argument about me not wanting a game with RP) and deflecting to avoid actual conversation.

You want to disagree and be right at the same time but without actually proving anything.
  • Options
    GodbrithilGodbrithil Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    Rp only, pls...
    unknown.png
  • Options
    jinxthegamerjinxthegamer Member
    edited April 2019
    azathoth wrote: »

---
    well quotes are different, hope this looks right after posting.
    @JinxTheGamer, so because some people managed to get way to involved with an online RP relationship you dislike the thought of marriage in the game?

No.

• Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Agreeing with many of the posters in the thread;
    • No buffs.
    • RP only.
    • Character flag can be set to dissuade would be suitors.
    • Would be leery of any trading/ownership benefits (could be ironed out in alpha).
    • Specific jewelry flagged for only married characters wouldn't be objectionable.
    • Shared items would be set by the BOP/BOE flag (since AoC is currently set to have few of these flags this might not be of high concern).
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    GodbrithilGodbrithil Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    I could still live with a unique couple's title. Of course only literary - no functional titles.
    unknown.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No benefits hopefully, maybe joining freeholds to create 1 bigger one but noa ctual buffs/exp bonuses.
  • Options
    The only advantage should be that the married couple could teleport to one another, but with a very long cooldown.
    "Why do we fight? To protect Home, and Family, to preserve Balance, and bring Harmony.
    For my kind, the true question is: What is worth fighting for?"
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    I think married couples could get something…

How about an ability called “Marriage Bond”? Either spouse can toggle “Marriage Bond” for both spouses to allow each other to see each other’s location on the mini map. When the spouses get within a certain range of each other, the ability will toggle off and they will both perform synchronized emotes, such as waving to each other or one spouse blowing a kiss and the other spouse catching it in the air and putting it on his or her cheek. Spouses can select form a shared list which synchronized emote will play. Maybe spouses can select multiple emotes and one emote is played randomly from among those selections when needed.

An ability like this is a quality of life feature in that it allows spouses to locate each other more easily and it also provides a cute effect. This would be one of the few effects in the game that causes another character to emote.
  • Options
    @jinxthegamer blaming roleplay for the tragic deaths of gamers is akin to blaming violence on video games. I don't think a healthy individual would spiral into a harmful and toxic existence just because he/she played make believe. People have died over games with NO RP like StarCraft.

If you are (or anyone is) susceptible to a troubling state of mind, I highly encourage you seek some help or balance. It's always so sad when things like that happen :(.
  • Options
    I agree with most. The ability to see each other on the map sounds great.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    RP purposes, and possibly a some convenience for sharing a freeholds, houses and shops.
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    Special housing decor based on marriage length and the "I'm taken" title, oh and children npcs for the indentured servitude. Then marriage will be in game worth.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be cool to add wedding clothes, or special racial and marriage themed cosmetics, maybe some furniture. Would be absolutely amazing if each race had different ceremonies and traditions too, and you could pick any of the 5/9 regardless of your in game race.
  • Options
    I played an mmo where married couples could tp to each other
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Every marriage performed gives the couple a set of dishes or cutlery that they can put in a house.
  • Options
    Im totally for samurai windu's suggestion of emotes with the partner, some cute stuff to c with ur partner and maybe some couple exclusive emotes.
    As for the other stuff i think that it'd b cool to be able to build a house together to be able to move and decorate stuff and that it is possible for the spouse to remove furniture cuz i have to say i suck @ decorating and if i am the owner to go to the house to remove the furniture because she/ he wants to decorate and make the hose look nice would b bothersome. Like imagine ur out on an epic adventure slaying the most dangerous and gruesome monsters and ur spouse calls u up "hun can u remove this and that so i can decorate/make the house look nice?" .... so u have to tell ur companions that u need to travel though a node or half a node to do some stuff for ur loved one..... would kinda suck for all the people
    As for buff i could imagine like a cuddeling in a tavern/bonfire/house to regen a bit faster nothing major just ur relaxing with ur loved one enjoying the closeness and for battle it would b funny to actually get a debuff like a decrease in acuracy due to u watching ur partner from time 2 time and not beeing able to concentrate on the fight in the first few days of the marriage or that u actually decrease the regen value if ur spouse is not @ the tavern because u "miss him/her".
    It would be funny because who said that love in a game should always give u a better effect.
    To get married it would b interesting to c who is able to marry ppl in a small town where u dont have a church or not the correct church when u want to marry due to 1 beein part of a different religion/oposing religion it would make sense that a mayor or a executive of the city actually marries you. That u exclude the religion aspect in the marriage and make it a "state affair" idk how it would fit into the lore but it would make it easier to explain when u dont have religion also poking its nose into marriage.

Im sorry if my english is bad or if my thoughts re a bit messed but i hope u kind of understand what i mean.
    wish u best of fun
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What a necro - its like the renewal of wedding vows.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I would also like to experience 17 different divorce proceedings in game, as I have in real life.

Tried to check the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Marriage

What do you all think should be the cooldown period before you can re-marry and should there be a leaderboard for has had the most breakups?

I'm really hoping that AoC decide to go all in with public with leaderboards for random aspects of game. I think it just drives good competition when you can search up rankings on a website.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think we will have api connections for any stats. Not sure if the devs will give official stats like BDO does. Its a bit of a weird situation because you can't directly compare some aspects of each server because each server will be unique. Marriages I guess would just be a blanket facet but how weird would it be just to have an official page with marriage and divorce stats? I think that would be very weird and more like the sims.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Divorce should be settled in battle: whoever wins keeps the kids.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I wouldn't mind it. In ESO you get a ring called Ring of Mara for marrying someone which can only be done once per account. All you get from it is a 10% experience bonus from playing TOGETHER with the one you married in-game. It's kinda cute actually. Now, i'm single as hell, so that wouldn't be any advantage for me, but for some in-real-life couples of best friends planning to play the game together i'm here for it :)
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    v13cind4a636.png

koppr9y3foow.png

I think the biggest thing will be the family summon and being able to share inventory. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a cool feature and if you're already planning on playing with a group of friends- why not make them your 'family'.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    RP and cosmetics only.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    if i recall it correctly then steven mentioned something in a dev stream that if you sleep with a famaly member (only same bed no XXX stuff) then you get a boost the next day. but what that boost is and how long it will hold wasnt mentioned.
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that AoC decide to go all in with public with leaderboards for random aspects of game. I think it just drives good competition when you can search up rankings on a website.

i dislike rankings cause they often only cover a small portion of rankeble things. and dont take into cosideration ping of hardware that someone uses. also not how much free time someone has. but a rng luck ranking would be nice so i know who i can flame ingame as a lucky Bas... xD

however i also would like that the game may have or support online tools that may access data from the game but only can read the dat not manipulate it. or that some tools are directly provided by the developer itself.