Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New To MMORPGs

Hey guys! I mostly play games like CS:GO and RUST. I have about 4 - 5 k hours in the both and them and would like to know what makes mmorpg games special to you! I've had no interest in them because the combat seemed so lack-luster to me, being the tab targeting stuff. But seeing that ashes has BOTH tab and action that seems amazing. I feel like seeing tons of people going together and killing bosses and stuff could be amazing and fun! Anyway just let me know your most fun times in mmorpg games and if you think ashes will be a great starting point for me~! <3<3 much love ^-^
Poko.png

Comments

• Options
    poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    World.... PvP

thank you! i'll be here all week!
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    poisonz wrote: »
    World.... PvP

Hahahaha that does sound like fun~! n.n
    Poko.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    MMOs are mostly about the community.

To me, it's like having a favorite hangout spot or bar, where you can pop in whenever, and find people doing something.

A good MMO community helps make a great MMO.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    World.... PvP

the excitement of WPvP gets my blood boiling!
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Karthos wrote: »
    MMOs are mostly about the community.

To me, it's like having a favorite hangout spot or bar, where you can pop in whenever, and find people doing something.

A good MMO community helps make a great MMO.

@Karthos That sounds amazing! Yeah most of the games I play are like 0% about the community and stuff and just about like ranking up and being competitive . I like that a lot but I also enjoy like cx not being on edge 24/7 and never having a single second to relax.
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    World.... PvP

the excitement of WPvP gets my blood boiling!

I LOVE PVP! That's all the games I play, they are only PVP but I want to try PvE like fighting a huge boss because I've never done that before! ^-^
    Poko.png
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    With a good MMO you always have something to work towards, whether that's the next big raid boss, conquering a rival guilds castle, or expanding your wealth. For me MMOs are a way to escape from real life and plunge myself into a fantasy world. In this world I can hang out with old friends and make new ones, go on an adventure to explore a deep cave or a high mountain and uncover hidden rewards.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    arzosah wrote: »
    With a good MMO you always have something to work towards, whether that's the next big raid boss, conquering a rival guilds castle, or expanding your wealth. For me MMOs are a way to escape from real life and plunge myself into a fantasy world. In this world I can hang out with old friends and make new ones, go on an adventure to explore a deep cave or a high mountain and uncover hidden rewards.

That sounds awesome! n.n Yeah I love being able to work towards stuff and feel progress! I'd also love to come back to something! Return home and have like.. my guy still there when I log on and have all his stats and stuff. That seems really cool, I've never played a game where things work like that. Plus fantasy stuff is super cool to me~!! n.n
    Poko.png
  • Options
    The best parts of MMOs is that you can meet lifetime friends in them. Also you can just play them for 1000s of hours like the other games and always have something to do!
    c8Ft6ax.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    edited April 2019
    Sp0 wrote: »
    The best parts of MMOs is that you can meet lifetime friends in them. Also you can just play them for 1000s of hours like the other games and always have something to do!

That sounds awesome @Sp0 I'd love to meet some cool friends~! Have nights to do... raids? I think they are called. When you fight big bosses cx uhm.. quests and stuff would be so fun to do with friends and all! I love always having something to do too lol and having new stuff, most of the games I play is doing the same thing for thousands of hours. I know killing mobs and bosses may be the same thing but they can have like different attacks and models and all but in CS:GO and RUST which are the only 2 games I play you really just do the same thing every single time you play!!! And I'd love to try PvE~! ^-^
    Poko.png
  • Options

That sounds awesome @Sp0 I'd love to meet some cool friends~! Have nights to do... raids? I think they are called. When you fight big bosses cx uhm.. quests and stuff would be so fun to do with friends and all! I love always having something to do too lol and having new stuff, most of the games I play is doing the same thing for thousands of hours. I know killing mobs and bosses may be the same thing but they can have like different attacks and models and all but in CS:GO and RUST which are the only 2 games I play you really just do the same thing every single time you play!!! And I'd love to try PvE~! ^-^

You should also check out guild recruitment for some guilds to go raids in, im apart of nexus if you would like to join that one. Raids take up to 40 players.
    c8Ft6ax.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member

You should also check out guild recruitment for some guilds to go raids in, im apart of nexus if you would like to join that one. Raids take up to 40 players.

WOW? 40 players ? That's awesome! That sounds like so much fun ^-^ I've never even played a game with that many people in one area! heck yea! n.n
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Well, if you do pvp and later fight in a huge Siege.. there could be 500 people on the battlefield plus pets and summons...

AoC has many features I'm looking for... everyone contributes to a node, building it together up and creating a unique world :-D tamign wil lbe coool as its planned that you can breed different creature to create new mounts and pets.

best is always to meet cool and new people... I'll play necromaner ( class combo: main: summoner 2nd cleric)

nice to meet you @Pokosaurous
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Nice to meet you @Ibarumarky ~! That sounds amazing...! But god I don't know how it'll be with 500 people all around each other! Hopefully it won't be super laggy! If it isn't then that should be so much fun! taking down a castle or just fighting other people!

I haven't played any other mmos though and I don't want to start until AOC comes out because it's been the only one that's interested me!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    IbarumarkyIbarumarky Member
    edited April 2019
    That's totaly okay! Take your time, talk/write to al, get to know people and stick together ;-)
    As above mentioned... MMORPG.. the community is a huge point into making even a "poor" game great. Stick to it and you should be amused & happy.

We both can start, if you want someone to get to know.

Just keep in mind - RL & Fun is important :-)
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    MMOs are all about head pats and social interaction while fighting for what is important in your eyes.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    <values the "tulnar tradition of giving headpats to the person above and headpats @teyloune >

MMORPGS are a big and diverse field. It SHOULD offer a multitude of things to do. If you feel like you want to just sit back and relax, you could just run around,gathering and exploring a whole day while you talk with friends (ingame or real life) and still feel like you accomplished a little something. Sit at the market and look for good deals, play the trading game.
    You could run into pvp areas/ arenas/ or whatnot and get your adrenalin kick, or challenge yourself to take down incredible hard dungeons or whatnot.
    It's the diversity that makes mmos special for me, there are a lot of areas you can participate in, if the mmo itself is good. On top of that, mmos usually have an amazing world to delve into, I still remember I used days after days reading through lore of different mmos I participated in. Not because it was relevant, but it just offers so much more to appreciate.
    MMOs offer a platform for new connections that will form deep roots like no other genre, if you care for it. Even if you don't you might just get swep away by a random encounter with some special people.

Tab targeting is just bad rep, Tera is purely free aim (which people love to misscall action combat) but put a hunter from Wow (tabtarget) next to a ranger from Tera and it's essential the same, there have been terrible broing tab targeting mmos tho no questions asked. Just saying, a good mmo provides a very diverse playstyle field through classes and WoW was a king in that, you had very slow laid back classes and you had hugely mobile fast and complex ones all under the umbrella of tab targeting.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    <Headpats @grisu to honor the Tulnar tradition>

That was a great post.
    Yes, MMORPGs are the type of game where your fantasies can come true, if you are moviated to make it happen.
    You can even roleplay a unique Character and see things from a new perspective.
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Ibarumarky wrote: »
    That's totaly okay! Take your time, talk/write to al, get to know people and stick together ;-)
    As above mentioned... MMORPG.. the community is a huge point into making even a "poor" game great. Stick to it and you should be amused & happy.

We both can start, if you want someone to get to know.

Just keep in mind - RL & Fun is important :-)

I'd Love to start together~! I think it'll be a great change in pace because all the games I play are NOT about he community and always about the gameplay. I think it'll be a lovely thing! And ontop of that if I get to meet great people like the ones that replied to my thread! <3 That's amazing
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    teyloune wrote: »
    MMOs are all about head pats and social interaction while fighting for what is important in your eyes.

*HEADPATS!* I love headpats n.n
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Grisu wrote: »
    <values the "tulnar tradition of giving headpats to the person above and headpats @teyloune >

MMORPGS are a big and diverse field. It SHOULD offer a multitude of things to do. If you feel like you want to just sit back and relax, you could just run around,gathering and exploring a whole day while you talk with friends (ingame or real life) and still feel like you accomplished a little something. Sit at the market and look for good deals, play the trading game.
    You could run into pvp areas/ arenas/ or whatnot and get your adrenalin kick, or challenge yourself to take down incredible hard dungeons or whatnot.
    It's the diversity that makes mmos special for me, there are a lot of areas you can participate in, if the mmo itself is good. On top of that, mmos usually have an amazing world to delve into, I still remember I used days after days reading through lore of different mmos I participated in. Not because it was relevant, but it just offers so much more to appreciate.
    MMOs offer a platform for new connections that will form deep roots like no other genre, if you care for it. Even if you don't you might just get swep away by a random encounter with some special people.

Tab targeting is just bad rep, Tera is purely free aim (which people love to misscall action combat) but put a hunter from Wow (tabtarget) next to a ranger from Tera and it's essential the same, there have been terrible broing tab targeting mmos tho no questions asked. Just saying, a good mmo provides a very diverse playstyle field through classes and WoW was a king in that, you had very slow laid back classes and you had hugely mobile fast and complex ones all under the umbrella of tab targeting.

I love the idea of that~! Having so many things to do, most of the games I play (Which is basically only CS:GO and RUST) Have very little diversity in what you can do in them. I love the idea of being able to come back to something as well, like in rust most of the time after you log off you log back on and everything you worked for is erased and you have to start over again. The community in both of the games too is pretty toxic and such. I'm pretty young so I've missed WoW totally and such. I've actually missed most big MMOs I think besides maybe... warframe if that counts and like.. tera and ESO. None of them have interested me though because I enjoy combat so much in games. If ashes is really going to be what it's promising then I think I'll come to love MMORPG games. I'm very excited actually~! n.n It'll give me a game to play and not always be on edge and stressed, but of course I'll want the action pvp and stuff. Ontop of that I've never really played any PvE games. So that should be pretty fun, it always seemed SUPER cool! Fighting a huge boss of a.. raid I think it's called with so many people. I just hope it'll be what everyones thinking and hoping for <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    @Pokosaurous well you are always welcome to join us for head pats and potential community feel for ashes. <totally not recruiting with headpets.
    Pets @Pokosaurous head.>
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    < Headpats @Pokosaurous >

Hehe, I will start and wander into the wilds, establishing a little encampment and improve it into a small town?! That would be my goal.

Laying down the stepping stones for a flourishing city, carving my marks into history... I wouldn't mind some helping hands to accomplish it.

So far i think what could be difficult it are the different time zones. I'm from Europe
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It all depends on the MMORPG really.
    I like the open world aspect of the game and I am a huge fan of player based economy. The exploratory aspect is really important too! A friend and I once spent 7 hours in WoW to find all the little hidden spots on ll the maps with our flying mounts ^^.
    Sadly we left the hightime of MMORPGs behind us.
    The best were the old Star Wars Galaxies (before the apocalyptic patch), Classic WoW(and BC because it was still actually "hard" to kill mobs), GW1 (because the actual guildwars and PvP battles in general, were actually really fun) and Runescape in my opinion.
    Now we all wait for something to actually dethrone WoW, which will be REALLY hard, because they have the monopoly on casual players right now i think.
    Most likely to do so are currently Ashes of Creation and Chronicles of Elyria in my opinion, but that changes from each persons viewpoint^^.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Ibarumarky wrote: »
    < Headpats @Pokosaurous >

Hehe, I will start and wander into the wilds, establishing a little encampment and improve it into a small town?! That would be my goal.

Laying down the stepping stones for a flourishing city, carving my marks into history... I wouldn't mind some helping hands to accomplish it.

So far i think what could be difficult it are the different time zones. I'm from Europe

That would be awesome~! I wouldn't mind time zone differences at all because I don't have much to do besides school! n.n That sounds really cool! Making the way for a huge city to be built! I can't wait to jump into ashes in the next year or two! (Hopefully )
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Damokles wrote: »
    It all depends on the MMORPG really.
    I like the open world aspect of the game and I am a huge fan of player based economy. The exploratory aspect is really important too! A friend and I once spent 7 hours in WoW to find all the little hidden spots on ll the maps with our flying mounts ^^.
    Sadly we left the hightime of MMORPGs behind us.
    The best were the old Star Wars Galaxies (before the apocalyptic patch), Classic WoW(and BC because it was still actually "hard" to kill mobs), GW1 (because the actual guildwars and PvP battles in general, were actually really fun) and Runescape in my opinion.
    Now we all wait for something to actually dethrone WoW, which will be REALLY hard, because they have the monopoly on casual players right now i think.
    Most likely to do so are currently Ashes of Creation and Chronicles of Elyria in my opinion, but that changes from each persons viewpoint^^.

I REALLY hope that Ashes can compete with WoW. I LOVE the WoW lore and stuff but I can't STAND to play the game. I don't know what it is about the gameplay but I just can't do it. I tried it once and i had to just like.. kill boards and all I did to do that was click on them. I just find it too mundane (At least in the beginning) And I'd be SO far behind I just can't bring myself to try it. I'm really hoping that Ashes can really be what the community needs, since I've been hearing that being thrown around a lot when looking into it.
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Grisu wrote: »
    @Pokosaurous well you are always welcome to join us for head pats and potential community feel for ashes. <totally not recruiting with headpets.
    Pets @Pokosaurous head.>
    *Has fallen for @Grisu 's headpats and would love anyone to play with~!!!!*
    Poko.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I REALLY hope that Ashes can compete with WoW. I LOVE the WoW lore and stuff but I can't STAND to play the game. I don't know what it is about the gameplay but I just can't do it. I tried it once and i had to just like.. kill boards and all I did to do that was click on them. I just find it too mundane (At least in the beginning) And I'd be SO far behind I just can't bring myself to try it. I'm really hoping that Ashes can really be what the community needs, since I've been hearing that being thrown around a lot when looking into it.

Yeah the problem with WoW in my opinion is that they lean TOO hard into the casual crowd. It was suicide for a leveling warrior to pull more then two or three adds at once in classic and Burning Crusade. Now you can just buy a boost, level 10 levels, then buy the leveling armour and then blast through crowds of mobs as if they were cotton with your alts, ignoring all the story elements and the world...
    I mean shure, casuals are important but they threw away what was the best of the game (the actual strategizing in dungeons and the mob strength)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Damokles wrote: »

Yeah the problem with WoW in my opinion is that they lean TOO hard into the casual crowd. It was suicide for a leveling warrior to pull more then two or three adds at once in classic and Burning Crusade. Now you can just buy a boost, level 10 levels, then buy the leveling armour and then blast through crowds of mobs as if they were cotton with your alts, ignoring all the story elements and the world...
    I mean shure, casuals are important but they threw away what was the best of the game (the actual strategizing in dungeons and the mob strength)

Mhm I DEFINITELY felt the casual side. I admit I do like a challenge, but I literally had to do nothing but click on the mobs and then let my guy just automatically hit them. I didn't have to think at all, I've heard that's part of the allure of tab targeting. Getting rotations right and stuff, but I believe that can also be done with action combat as well if it's done right. Either way I just felt that WoW was incredibly easy and in turn, boring because I'd already listened to TONS of lore because I really enjoy the lore of that game. I just can't bring myself to play it, because no hate to the game or anything at all; it just isn't for me. The combat is way too slow and thoughtless (At least in the beginning) and I couldn't ever see myself catching up to players that have been playing for basically the whole time I've been alive~! lol
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Yeah WoW gets its difficulty in the maxlevel high tier challenge dungeons and mythic raiding. But that is only the case because everything can nearly one-shot you and you have to either cheese the mechanics or play perfect.
    a6XEiIf.gif