Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PvP - What Questions do you have?

JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
Greetings Everyone,

I'm getting settled in to start another series of Videos. This time I"m going to be focusing on PvP.

I have previously done an Ashes 101 - PvP Video, but that was back in August of 2018 and we have gotten a lot of information since then.

I've started to compile everything into a narrative guide at: https://www.paradoxgaming.net/aocpvp but the best way for me to shape the video series is to answer questions.

So what questions do you have about PvP in Ashes? Hopefully I either know the answer, or I can get the answer for you.
hpsmlCJ.jpg
Make sure to check out Ashes 101

Comments

• poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    can i kill you in game? it's a vry siwious question my good sir :smile:
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    poisonz wrote: »
    can i kill you in game?

Nope.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • CM KalezCM Kalez Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    How many kills will it take for me to start losing my stats and start to punish me if people choose not to pvp?
    If someone is carrying no resources they lose nothing if they choose not to pvp and they die?
    Kalez.png
    edited April 2019
    Kalez wrote: »
    How many kills will it take for me to start losing my stats and start to punish me if people choose not to pvp?
    If someone is carrying no resources they lose nothing if they choose not to pvp and they die?

1 Kill and you enter corruption and you start to have the effect.

As far as losing "nothing" that is not correct.

If someone is carrying no resources and you kill them, they still gain a full 100% Death Penalty of Negative XP. So, they lost something.

If they were carrying nothing and they chose to fight you, then you would not get corruption, and they would only get 50% of a Death Penalty of Negative XP.

Carrying zero resources, they are better off trying so they don't lose as much XP.

In my text guide I wrote an example of a scenario that people will probably fight back in vs a scenario where they not fight back in.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    @jahlon 2 late imma farm you even if it means total corruption
    AhuZFn7.gif
    poisonz wrote: »
    @jahlon 2 late imma farm you even if it means total corruption

No, you don't understand. You only get corruption when you actually kill the other person. When they keep planting you, you don't gain corruption. Its on the kill not the attack, so you'll never get corruption from attacking me and then dying.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    you'll die lots i'll make sure of dat O______O FOR NARNIA!
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • easyeasy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    me win
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1.if my caravan gets destroyed after an attack.
    a) Do I need to build a new one from scratch?
    b) Do I need to spend some gold to repair it?
    c) Does it only lose some durability and I can just summon it again?
    2. If my caravan gets attacked but not destroyed.
    a) Does it suffer any kind of damage?
    b) Does something happen to the cargo?
    3. if I attack a caravan but am unable to fully destroy it. Do i still get any kind of reward?
    4a. is there a max number of defenders / attackers for a caravan event?
    4b. if the answer to the last question is yes can the owner of the caravan kick defenders who aren't actually helpful?
    4c.if the answer to the last question is yes can the owner of the caravan prevent someone from joining the defense of his caravan instead of continuously kicking them?
    2PXdm1m
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Can I Essence choke you?
    fNX2ISa.png

• FulltimeWifeFulltimeWife Member, Intrepid Pack
    really curious too about caravans how customizable they will be. and caravans having different LoS/boxes? i want to see how this turns out in the final game *,*
    wxkas80nggsz.gif
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How easy is it for a settlements leader to declare someone an outlaw and what happens to that person if they are an outlaw?

Can whole guilds be declared outlaws by a node leader?

Will there be a bounty placed on such outlaws paid by the node, could anyone collect such a bounty or just those with the bounty hunter skill line?

How easy is it to declare war on another node or can this only happen if a siege is declared?

What happens when a settlement declares war on another settlement are all citizens on both sides pvp flagged for each other during the build-up period before the siege takes place?

When a siege is declared do siege materials have to be moved by caravan to the node that is to be sieged or do they just appear at the site?
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    Since the game is a hybrid combat system, will we see grappling mechanics like in some other action combat games?
    Santy182 wrote: »
    1.if my caravan gets destroyed after an attack.
    a) Do I need to build a new one from scratch?
    b) Do I need to spend some gold to repair it?
    c) Does it only lose some durability and I can just summon it again?

2. If my caravan gets attacked but not destroyed.
    a) Does it suffer any kind of damage?
    b) Does something happen to the cargo?

3. if I attack a caravan but am unable to fully destroy it. Do i still get any kind of reward?

4a. is there a max number of defenders / attackers for a caravan event?

4b. if the answer to the last question is yes can the owner of the caravan kick defenders who aren't actually helpful?

4c.if the answer to the last question is yes can the owner of the caravan prevent someone from joining the defense of his caravan instead of continuously kicking them?

For question 1: I grabbed these questions and I will cover them when I redo Ashes 101 - Caravans. I had similar questions but I'll make sure all of these get covered.

Question 2: Your caravan has to be destroyed for it to drop cargo, and when it drops it only drops a portion.

"If a caravan is destroyed, it will drop a portion of the goods it is transporting"

Question 3: No, its all or nothing, there is no reward for failure.

Question 4: No there is no max that we know of. As far as 4b and 4c I already had these written down to ask previously.

Easylife wrote: »
    really curious too about caravans how customizable they will be. and caravans having different LoS/boxes? i want to see how this turns out in the final game *,*

Fairly customizeable as far as parts: You can change out the wheels, chassis, and the mounts that pull them for different amounts of armor, hit points, carrying capacity and speed.

Great question. I have this one noted for my redo of Ashes 101 - Caravans as well.
    Varkun wrote: »
    How easy is it for a settlements leader to declare someone an outlaw and what happens to that person if they are an outlaw?

Can whole guilds be declared outlaws by a node leader?

Not sure what you mean by "Outlaw"? Do you mean "Enemy of the State" in this context?
    How easy is it to declare war on another node or can this only happen if a siege is declared?

What happens when a settlement declares war on another settlement are all citizens on both sides pvp flagged for each other during the build-up period before the siege takes place?

When a siege is declared do siege materials have to be moved by caravan to the node that is to be sieged or do they just appear at the site?

There are Node vs Node Wars and there are Node Sieges. They are not one in the same.

Nodes don't declare sieges on other Nodes.
    The mayor of one node sets a war/hostile condition with another node.

Yes, all citizens on both sides are flagged for legal combat. If there is a prep period, that has not yet been mentioned, but I'm sure there will be so its not SURPRISE, you are dead.

What siege materials are you referring to for clarity?
    Since the game is a hybrid combat system, will we see grappling mechanics like in some other action combat games?

Are you referring to a pull in/lasso mechanic? If so, the answer is yes this has already been mentioned.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @jahlon Yes, I mean enemy of the state. I know a single player can be declared an enemy of the state but what about guilds?

Siege materials such as the actual siege equipment to be used in the siege catapults rams etc don't tell me its carried in your backpack. I guess such equipment was built on the sight of the siege but would require materials to do so.

I should have been clearer and used ZOI rather than node. Can a hostile state exist between two ZOI and its citizens be flagged to each other without a siege being declared?

Hope that might clarify what I was trying to get across.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One

Are you referring to a pull in/lasso mechanic? If so, the answer is yes this has already been mentioned.
    [/quote]

Not exactly, I meant more similar to grabs. The best example I have is BDO, especially the berserker, where grapples could be used as part of your combos, to interrupt, or as a displacement mechanic to reposition the enemy.
    edited April 2019
    we already have most of da answer but not the fly mount vs fly mount like aerial combat stuff and such
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • valerianvalerian Member
    edited April 2019
    Regarding node wars. Say your part of Node A and you(Mayor) want to declare war against Node B. Your guild has members both in Node A and B and your part of A. 1) Is this part of the game where guild members can find themselves in internal conflict? 2) Or, is there an in-game mechanic where guild members cannot flag themselves as hostile to each other or that Citizen vs Citizen trumps guild loyalty?

It seems to me that the node war system wants to become by nature some kind of a blockade mechanic but poorly thought of, since even if you PVP that XP goes towards the node your in. 3) So what will node wars accomplish if your side is successful?
    S3gcPiA.jpg
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    There is an in-game mechanic that you can't flag on guild members, so in @Valerian 's scenario if the 2 nodes are at war with guild members in each, does that mean they still cannot kill each other?
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• elf wrote: »
    There is an in-game mechanic that you can't flag on guild members, so in @Valerian 's scenario if the 2 nodes are at war with guild members in each, does that mean they still cannot kill each other?

I'm leaning towards guildmasters resolving the conflict by giving them a general notice within the guild of a node war pending so the members either quit or move somewhere else. If in fact the citizenship relationship trumps guild relationship.
    S3gcPiA.jpg
    @jahlon Yes, I mean enemy of the state. I know a single player can be declared an enemy of the state but what about guilds?

Siege materials such as the actual siege equipment to be used in the siege catapults rams etc don't tell me its carried in your backpack. I guess such equipment was built on the sight of the siege but would require materials to do so.

I should have been clearer and used ZOI rather than node. Can a hostile state exist between two ZOI and its citizens be flagged to each other without a siege being declared?

Hope that might clarify what I was trying to get across.

Do not have an answer about entire guilds being declare enemies of state, I will add that to my growing list of stuff we want to find out about.

MY GUESS: No. Because Nodes are not "Guild Content"

the Siege equipment I believe is going to be built at a crafting bench and then carried in your backpack. Ships are the same (launchable only at shore) as well as Caravans (launchable only at points of storage)

Again I will ask specifically

Can a hostile state exist between two ZOIs?

No. The Node War Mechanic is between 1 Node and another Node. It does not draw in the vassals/parents into the node state. There are some other mechanics that work in this situation, but not the war piece.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What is PvP?

It sounds like an STD.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    Hyyez wrote: »
    The only counter to zerg/blob guilds to not be effective in AoC is based around the lack of fast travel?

The lack of Fast Travel is the major one, and it is highly effective. If you are familiar with Eve Online in the era before Cynos and Bridges, having to spend time traveling is a huge factor. When you have to travel somewhere and travel back, it does restrict you to a corner of the world.

But its not the only one. There is also

1) Guild Size vs Guild Benefits: If you choose to have a 300 person guild, then you have to sacrafice having any Guild Benefits. If you choose to have a smaller guild, then your guild members will receive tanginble boosts and benefits.

This ties in with

2) Alliance Size: Four Guilds. You invite guilds to be members, so if all the guilds have chosen to be max size you'd have a 1200 person "alliance" with no benefits. Or you could have a 400 Person alliance with benefits

There are no doubt more, these are just the ones we have

Valerian wrote: »
    Regarding node wars. Say your part of Node A and you(Mayor) want to declare war against Node B. Your guild has members both in Node A and B and your part of A. 1) Is this part of the game where guild members can find themselves in internal conflict? 2) Or, is there an in-game mechanic where guild members cannot flag themselves as hostile to each other or that Citizen vs Citizen trumps guild loyalty?

It seems to me that the node war system wants to become by nature some kind of a blockade mechanic but poorly thought of, since even if you PVP that XP goes towards the node your in. 3) So what will node wars accomplish if your side is successful?

Your Citizenship is your highest relationship, it is higher than your Guild Members.

So yes, if you are in Node A and the mayor of Node A sets a War Condition with Node B and you have guild mates in Node B, then yes you are in a hostile state with them.

The further ramfications of this of can you not raid, party, group, trade, etc with your guild mates because you are in a war state are not yet know.

3: What will node wars accomplish if your side is successful?

A node war allows you to disrupt a Node without going to siege. It allows you to slow down the growth of a neighboring node, to cost the citizens of that node access to services, NPCs, etc.

elf wrote: »

Nope, asked and answered last stream. Node Citizenship trumps Guild Membership. So if your node goes to war with another node your guild lives in, you may have to swap your citizenship for a while.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
  • OddjobOddjob Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can everyone loot corrupt player bodies? Or only those who joined in the fight?

Or is it a, "Tag" system?

Sorry if its been asked already..
    unknown.png
    oddjob wrote: »
    Can everyone loot corrupt player bodies? Or only those who joined in the fight?

Or is it a, "Tag" system?

Sorry if its been asked already..

No idea, but this is a good question.

hpsmlCJ.jpg

Jalon wrote: Nope, asked and answered last stream. Node Citizenship trumps Guild Membership. So if your node goes to war with another node your guild lives in, you may have to swap your citizenship for a while.

This didn't really answer the question. If the guild members decide to stay with their citizenship and stay online, and since it has been stated you cannot kill a guild member does that mean even in the war?
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

edited April 2019

Jalon wrote: Nope, asked and answered last stream. Node Citizenship trumps Guild Membership. So if your node goes to war with another node your guild lives in, you may have to swap your citizenship for a while.

This didn't really answer the question. If the guild members decide to stay with their citizenship and stay online, and since it has been stated you cannot kill a guild member does that mean even in the war?

It does not say you "cannot kill a guild member" It says, you cannot flag on a guild member to PK them.

However, node citizenship is a higher level of relationship, so in a war, yes you will be hostile to your guild members.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Ok, it sank in now. Thanks! :*
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    How can groups within the same guild/alliance spar with each other?
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me