Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Roleplayers For The Implementation Of Custom Text Emote Functions

2»

Comments

• Options
    /Support

Very useful in RP - and as AoC falls into the category of "High Fantasy", one must assume the sweet nectar of your High-Fantasy MMO will attract the swarms of roleplayers that shall inevidebly see a chance to enjoy an opportunity to act like a Santus-dweller come anew to Verra!

Why must so many others see only horror and sin in RP? Do we not all enjoy the same digital dawn? Would it really be that bad if.... y'know.... maybe one of our toons has RP sleep-apnea or RP-snores to an annoyingly loud level?
  • Options
    Honestly, I really hope they add this if they aren't planning to already.
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I definitely want/need this, it's something I use so often that it would be really weird not to have implemented in the game. Please <3

/e, /me, /em
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    This is a nice feature that has existed in every other MMO I've played. Not sure why it wouldn't be in AoC, so I hope they have plans to add it!
  • Options
    SocialSatyrSocialSatyr Member, Founder
    I'mma use this thread to voice my feelings about why I definitely would love to see this feature included in AoC.

I certainly can't speak to everyone's experience with /me in past MMORPG's, but I can at least attest to my own:

I've always been a player who has struggled with leaning inherently towards the "shy" side due to a variety of mental factors. It isn't that I've never desired to participate within an MMO's community, it was simply that I always found it intimidating putting myself out there amongst thousands of strangers in general or zone chat. Even the mass guild advertisements often left me questioning if I'd be capable of keeping up with groups of players that had known each other for sometimes upwards of a decade.

In short, I'd always found it very intimidating to break into larger communities, and had often found myself feeling isolated from the masses.

That is, until I stumbled over my first group of players idling about in a tavern using /me's to casually share a drink with each others’ character. For someone like me (Someone who does enjoy playing a game but sometimes just needs a slower paced activity to make new connections through), wandering through a crowd and seeing those little /me interactions playing out has always helped me find my common "tribe."

The "/me, /e, /emote, /em" command in an MMO is by no means the most critical feature of a game, I understand that, but I do feel it does it a disservice to label it a mere "quality of life" feature. To me, seeing my people out and about between raids - telling their character's stories, socializing with one another, telling jokes, pouring drinks?

That's always told me where "home" is.

More than all that, even beyond all the lifelong friends /me's help me pick out of the crowd, this feature is the smallest, and most meager thing that still means so much to me - because seeing it, even just in passing, reminds me that I'm welcome here; that I'm allowed to be my nerdy self, and to get excited with exploring a brand new world; that my experience in an MMO doesn't have to be 24/7 stressing over DPS output, surviveability, or gear maintenance...

The presence of /me's have always served as a direct encouragement for me to actually slow down, and take the time to really appreciate and immerse myself in the experience I've bought into. It stretches my game's lifespans well past the endgame, when I'm out of things to do and looking to still enjoy myself in a game. It helps me feel, as a Roleplayer, that I'm recognized as more than just one of the masses; that me and my people are seen and wanted in a community.
  • Options
    Also let people create AddOns that we can keybind the Emotes they want.
    Or implement this function ingame.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    +1 yes pls

This game will be a huge deal for rpers considering it's size and possibilities. An RP server would even be better but that might be too much tbh
  • Options
    Yes please, custom emotes are so nice to have

+1
  • Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    Snale wrote: »
    Yes please, custom emotes are so nice to have

+1

They have already added in the /e into the testing phases :)
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • Options
    RijiRiji Member
    Please add! Emoting is important for the RPier!
    Lord of House Calderon - Vassal House of Gilded House
  • Options
    DezzRevasDezzRevas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a major feature for the RP community please make sure to have it.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm still baffled by Steven's lack of understanding of this. He claims he was playing mmo's from a VERY young age, back when irc, aol, and msn chats were very common. It's literally just a /me command. I wonder if it's just that no one has ever presented it to him this way before or if he just doesn't have any recollection or contact with this basic chat feature. Maybe he didn't talk to guilds on those clients? I know other mmo's have had this feature, but it's not just an mmo feature or strictly for the role playing community. It's a feature that has been in most chat programs since the dawn of the modern internet.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    JustVine wrote: »
    I'm still baffled by Steven's lack of understanding of this. He claims he was playing mmo's from a VERY young age, back when irc, aol, and msn chats were very common. It's literally just a /me command. I wonder if it's just that no one has ever presented it to him this way before or if he just doesn't have any recollection or contact with this basic chat feature. Maybe he didn't talk to guilds on those clients? I know other mmo's have had this feature, but it's not just an mmo feature or strictly for the role playing community. It's a feature that has been in most chat programs since the dawn of the modern internet.

This was answered and they are having it in game. It was later clarified on the QnA thread :)
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels