Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lawless zone

Comments

• Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arnt the instanced pvp arena's for this ? i think you can have balanced small fights and rek some ppl and go back to the open world after
    Signature-member.gif
  • Options
    seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    shkevi wrote: »
    arnt the instanced pvp arena's for this ? i think you can have balanced small fights and rek some ppl and go back to the open world after

open world pvp is very different to arenas and battlegrounds
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    edited April 2019
    Listen up, unless you fuck over low level people or focused life skillers for easy gg( what you obviously don'
    t aim at since everyone walking in there knows what's up), a big group of people will fight back and thus not earn you corruption. This has been talked to death.

He wants a zone that has an objective, staying alive in that zone and getting rewards for killing players after that. That's a battleground, arena style.
    A pvp zone with objectives...didn't hear that before in Ashes.. oh wait. There already is open pvp opportunities o-plenty in many variations where you have to kill people and earn rewards. Literally the only difference is that his objective is "different" then the ones present.

It's a battleground change my mind. In fact I call that a battle royal without the storm..

Edit: Not saying it's bad, I just don't see the difference.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2019
    Now let's say that the rare herb in question is required to make a potion that is required to complete an important quest or kill a raid boss. The guild that controls the distribution of the herb has a vast amount of influence on the server, because they effectively control who can and cannot do certain pieces of content. Imagine if you were in a raiding guild which needed the rare herb to beat a raid boss, but the PK guild refuses to sell you the herb, your guild would pretty much shut down.
    For sake of the argument let’s assume that the pk guild really goes through the trouble of only selling the item to known buyers instead of using the marketplace and that this one guild managed to piss off the pk guild enough to be excluded from the buyers. I admit that the second point is likely since people annoy each other easily.
    Now this might shut down your ability to do the dungeon immediately but not forever.

Going from my experience pk guilds aren't very big in member size.

• Kill them yourself
    • Keep them distracted while gathering and retreat after.
    • Form an alliance and drive them off, usually PK guilds piss off more than just one guild.
    • Farm it at a time when the PK guild is not online

I’m not sure why every guild except for PK guilds are just supposed to roll over and give up once something "bad" happens to them.

Pkers are also just players, they are defeated the same way as any other player.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    I want a law zone where the guards keep saying

I AM THE LAW!

"FOR THE PEACE OF THE KINGDOM!
    "FOR THE KING!"
    "FOR THE ALLIANCE!"
    "WHO GOES THERE?!?"
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I know.... pk are player killer... but someone I just think about pk.. pirate king xD one piece damaged
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »

I AM THE LAW!

"FOR THE KING!"
    "FOR THE ALLIANCE!"
    "WHO GOES THERE?!?"

i-am-the-law.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure PVP zones are a thing planned already, I mean if they didnt give an outlet for those sociopaths and such then we would have green players dying left and right.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damokles wrote: »

I AM THE LAW!

"FOR THE KING!"
    "FOR THE ALLIANCE!"
    "WHO GOES THERE?!?"

i-am-the-law.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cba27395a2f413055557872
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    azathoth wrote: »
    If there is a PvP with no corruption zone there should be a no-flag for PvP zone. Both side should be accommodated. Note, I would prefer neither of these things.

Sieges, caravans, and guild wars don't influence corruption so in some way we already have. TBH I don't see why there would need to be a no pvp zone. Unlike with the greater world no doubt you wouldn't HAVE to go to it. Pvp everywhere is the rule, that specific area/s without corruption pvp are the exception and doesn't necessitate its opposite.

Although I think its been said that the starting areas will be safe, probably the quite literal starting area on sanctus if it works like apoc and the gateway isn't chosen through character creation, though I'm not entirely sure.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @cyanideinsanity, agreed. There is planned to be plenty of PvP locations and events. Most PvP events can be triggered by players (caravans/sieges), so why do they want a zone just for themselves? I was told by another on this thread that if it wasn't my cup of tea, to avoid it. Obviously. So obvious in fact that many who wouldn't want that would avoid it, and they know that. So they need special/rare items there so it's worth the risk. Otherwise they're just beating each other, and we all know that's not as much fun as beating those that don't want to be.

They for sure should have a special zone so they can roam about and complain nobody wants to go there except for other PvP's. Or, you know, an arena.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    amuria wrote: »
    Now let's say that the rare herb in question is required to make a potion that is required to complete an important quest or kill a raid boss. The guild that controls the distribution of the herb has a vast amount of influence on the server, because they effectively control who can and cannot do certain pieces of content. Imagine if you were in a raiding guild which needed the rare herb to beat a raid boss, but the PK guild refuses to sell you the herb, your guild would pretty much shut down.
    For sake of the argument let’s assume that the pk guild really goes through the trouble of only selling the item to known buyers instead of using the marketplace and that this one guild managed to piss off the pk guild enough to be excluded from the buyers. I admit that the second point is likely since people annoy each other easily.
    Now this might shut down your ability to do the dungeon immediately but not forever.

• Kill them yourself
    • Form an alliance and drive them off, usually PK guilds piss off more than just one guild.

I’m not sure why every guild except for PK guilds are just supposed to roll over and give up once something "bad" happens to them.

Pkers are also just players, they are defeated the same way as any other player.

1. Even if they sell it on the market to anyone, it would still destabilise the in-game economy to the point where smaller raiding guilds might not be able to afford it and would have to disband.
    2. Yes if the PK guild tried to hold the zone they might very well get overwhelmed by larger raiding guilds, but then you are just replacing one group for another, with the same kind of impact on the smaller guilds.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

• Kill them yourself

1. Even if they sell it on the market to anyone, it would still destabilise the in-game economy to the point where smaller raiding guilds might not be able to afford it and would have to disband.
    2. Yes if the PK guild tried to hold the zone they might very well get overwhelmed by larger raiding guilds, but then you are just replacing one group for another, with the same kind of impact on the smaller guilds.

Form an alliance
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    @cyanideinsanity, agreed. There is planned to be plenty of PvP locations and events. Most PvP events can be triggered by players (caravans/sieges), so why do they want a zone just for themselves? I was told by another on this thread that if it wasn't my cup of tea, to avoid it. Obviously. So obvious in fact that many who wouldn't want that would avoid it, and they know that. So they need special/rare items there so it's worth the risk. Otherwise they're just beating each other, and we all know that's not as much fun as beating those that don't want to be.

They for sure should have a special zone so they can roam about and complain nobody wants to go there except for other PvP's. Or, you know, an arena.

Arenas
    Are
    Not
    The
    Same
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    GemiiChanGemiiChan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Karthos wrote: »
    I often see this suggestion thrown around, and the very first thing that comes into my mind is: Why. Why do you want a lawless zone?

I'll actually answer this truthfully.

I want to kill people, but I don't want a penalty for it.

Why? Because I enjoy PvP. And to have a place to play in that way, open world combat where I don't have to worry about corruption would be nice.

Am I a griefer or PKer? Not particularly, but I do enjoy a good fight, and the fact that we can have a location to go look for one, where other people are doing the same, will promote a better and healthier community.

Or else I have to find my fights where all the PvE players are, and that always ends up with someone upset.

Give the PvP it's sandbox, if that's not for you, simply do not go, and enjoy other aspects of the game.

It's honestly a win/win

Im not sure how thats a win/win, because this just basically boils down to "Im a PvPer and I want an area strictly dedicated for PvPers to kill without penalty" to which my response would be - Didnt they say they have "arenas" just for that? o.O Why should anyone be locked out of an area just because you want to murder them? I mean if we kept that logic, then wouldnt the PvE focused ppl just say do away with the corruption system all together and make the game areas that are PvE focused restricted?

I just dont understand the ppl that complain about immersion (not strictly directed at you Karthos!), and how small fashion choices break that, but what to murder ppl in the open world without any repercussions! Isnt that part of the whole experience?
    4Ts5BFf.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Seaber wrote: »

Arenas
    Are
    Not
    The
    Same

Indeed. I'd be spending my specifically desired pvp time are arenas, not places like what this topic is about. Well except maybe to be the Greased-up Deaf Guy.
  • Options

Arenas
    Are
    Not
    The
    Same

Indeed. I'd be spending my specifically desired pvp time are arenas, not places like what this topic is about. Well except maybe to be the Greased-up Deaf Guy.

????
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

• Kill them yourself

Form an alliance

What if I don't want to join a big guild or alliance? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I just want to do my own thing with my small group of friends without getting too involved with what the bigger guilds are doing. There is also the danger of Ashes turning into what EvE online is.

https://kotaku.com/eve-onlines-constant-wars-are-driving-away-new-players-1830096314
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2019

????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJINv6ffO00
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Arenas
    Are
    Not
    The
    Same
    Grisu wrote: »
    It's a battleground change my mind. In fact I call that a battle royal without the storm..

What he proposed is quite literally a large free for all styled arena aka. battle royal, change my mind.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    gemiichan wrote: »
    I often see this suggestion thrown around, and the very first thing that comes into my mind is: Why. Why do you want a lawless zone?

Why? Because I enjoy PvP. And to have a place to play in that way, open world combat where I don't have to worry about corruption would be nice.

Am I a griefer or PKer? Not particularly, but I do enjoy a good fight, and the fact that we can have a location to go look for one, where other people are doing the same, will promote a better and healthier community.

Or else I have to find my fights where all the PvE players are, and that always ends up with someone upset.

Give the PvP it's sandbox, if that's not for you, simply do not go, and enjoy other aspects of the game.

It's honestly a win/win

Im not sure how thats a win/win, because this just basically boils down to "Im a PvPer and I want an area strictly dedicated for PvPers to kill without penalty" to which my response would be - Didnt they say they have "arenas" just for that? o.O Why should anyone be locked out of an area just because you want to murder them? I mean if we kept that logic, then wouldnt the PvE focused ppl just say do away with the corruption system all together and make the game areas that are PvE focused restricted?

I just dont understand the ppl that complain about immersion (not strictly directed at you Karthos!), and how small fashion choices break that, but what to murder ppl in the open world without any repercussions! Isnt that part of the whole experience?

Simply because PvEers will piss and moan about getting ganked all the time unless there's a place that's set aside specificly to PvP in the open world. Arena is honestly boring, contained and repetitive to me, I much prefer dynamic fighting in the open world.

Telling me "oh there's Arenas" is like saying "oh we don't have Coke, is Dr Pepper okay?".

It's close, but not the same thing.

It's a win/win because we aren't taking or omitting content from the game to constrict a play style, we are adding more to pull even more content into the game.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

What if I don't want to join a big guild or alliance? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I just want to do my own thing with my small group of friends without getting too involved with what the bigger guilds are doing. There is also the danger of Ashes turning into what EvE online is.

Maybe it wasn't clear by my wording. By "form an alliance" I did not mean disband your guild and join a big one, I meant cooperate with other small guilds. Use what people always want to have in their game guild diplomacy. Player agency makes the game much more fun than rule restrictions.
  • Options

• Kill them yourself

Form an alliance

https://kotaku.com/eve-onlines-constant-wars-are-driving-away-new-players-1830096314

You don't have to join an official alliance. Just find some people in your node or in chat that also want to get the herb and group up.
    If you just want to do 'your own thing' in a small group then you probably don't need this hypothetical herb for the hypothetical raid.

Ashes is a game about working with other people to achieve bigger things. But it sounds like you want to be able to do all the big things without working with others.
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    Arenas
    Are
    Not
    The
    Same

What he proposed is quite literally a large free for all styled arena aka. battle royal, change my mind.

You don't respawn in battle royales and you would in the proposed zone so they are quite literally not the same.
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wait, this needs to be said.

@Seaber that bunny looks so cuddly.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Wait, this needs to be said.

@Seaber that bunny looks so cuddly.

Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    edited April 2019
    You have literal horse blinders on, you take the most narrow view on any given word.

You hear abttle royal and can only think of fortnite. Battle royal is a bit more expansive than that. Noone ever said you can't respawn in a battle royal (hellow apex), and they existed before the one life approach. It's called battlegrounds.
    And if you respawn IN the zone, how would you determin rewards which he proposed? It's a battleground with objective killcounter during x minutes then.

Edit: Those exist under various names, death match (those exist as one life or time based), arena (not wow arena, litteral arena) and I'm sure several others I'm to tired to think off.
  • Options
    GemiiChanGemiiChan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

It's honestly a win/win

Simply because PvEers will piss and moan about getting ganked all the time unless there's a place that's set aside specificly to PvP in the open world. Arena is honestly boring, contained and repetitive to me, I much prefer dynamic fighting in the open world.

Telling me "oh there's Arenas" is like saying "oh we don't have Coke, is Dr Pepper okay?".

It's close, but not the same thing.

It's a win/win because we aren't taking or omitting content from the game to constrict a play style, we are adding more to pull even more content into the game.

These places arent going to stop anything. Because this is the internet and trolls/a**hats thrive here! And arenas arent the only PvP content that is allowed without penalty. So this logic is telling me "We want to PK, even though we say we dont - and even more so in an area where we can do it without getting into trouble or having consequences."

How exactly will this bringing in more content? :no_mouth:

It seems more so like you are trying to omit content if this area is labeled lawless and has materials that are required to progress in parts of the game. Especially seeing as there is no "safe" zones so to speak. This logic sounds more so like PvPers pissing and moaning about not being directly allowed to PK without repercussions.
    4Ts5BFf.gif
  • Options
    You have literal horse blinders on, you take the most narrow view on any given word.

You hear abttle royal and can only think of fortnite. Battle royal is a bit more expansive than that. Noone ever said you can't respawn in a battle royal (hellow apex), and they existed before the one life approach. It's called battlegrounds.
    And if you respawn IN the zone, how would you determin rewards which he proposed? It's a battleground with objective killcounter during x minutes then.

Edit: Those exist under various names, death match (those exist as one life or time based), arena (not wow arena, litteral arena) and I'm sure several others I'm to tired to think off.

lol try reading the thread again without your horse blinders on :sunglasses:
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • Options
    These places arent going to stop anything. Because this is the internet and trolls/a**hats thrive here! And arenas arent the only PvP content that is allowed without penalty. So this logic is telling me "We want to PK, even though we say we dont - and even more so in an area where we can do it without getting into trouble or having consequences."

How exactly will this bringing in more content? :no_mouth:

It seems more so like you are trying to omit content if this area is labeled lawless and has materials that are required to progress in parts of the game. Especially seeing as there is no "safe" zones so to speak. This logic sounds more so like PvPers pissing and moaning about not being directly allowed to PK without repercussions.

As someone who enjoys PK in open world a lot more than arenas, I will try to explain the issue with arenas that I personally have.
    It all comes down to controlled environments. I like the situation of the fight to be not heavily controlled.

• In an arena location,
    • enemy count difficulty
    • is usually all controlled.
    • personality of opponent to a certain extent.

In the open world I do not have these controlling elements if I choose to attack someone every detail must be found out or observed before.
    Now I do not claim arenas as useless since they are very good for basic steps in learning because of these controls.
    It in the end really matters very little to me since traders aren't safe and it is also penalty free, so I don't need to stop to "refuel" my karma. I'm pretty sure if your favourite playstyle would be limited by design you would like to have ways to circumvent this as well.
    I hope this helped you understand the “PK” part of this argument better. Maybe also helps with seeing PKers less as jerks.