Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In-Game Quest Markers or Analog Navigation?

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    megs wrote: »

Devil's advocate against the choice option : folks with similar issues to myself have a lot more to contend with than difficulties in games, and anyone struggling to comprehend /remember a quest doesn't find that they can't proceed any further. They aren' locked out of that content... because all they have to do is work around it, by simply ASKING ANYONE for help - guildy, friendy, random passing stranger.
    Work arounds that work are awesome.

The only problem with both is that the majority of gamers will always take the easier path. People like to say they want something bare boned or they want to figure things out, but if given the tools to make it easier they will use said tools and only a few dedicated people will use it the harder way, which puts them at a disadvantage getting to a quest spot late or if they are in a group and the majority of the group is using the arrows and in game easier quest guide you are then forced to play along.

Heh I totally get that my communication is confusing at times. Brain borkage. *Huge grin*
    But I'm with you, I honestly think that you're right, that choice of quest giving styles isn't going to be needed here.

I'd love both, but would prefer for immersion the 'read it! Find it!' option.

As someone whose disability affects my 'read it! Find it!' ability at times, I was attempting to communicate (poorly, sorry) that it's not the end of the world if 'read it! Find it!' would be the only option available.

Because .... people. In game interaction with people, and if there is no one about, they'll no doubt be someone around out of the game who can help to translate where to go or how to finish the quest.
  • Options
    @genna

Your communication is fine.

I was just pointing out it needs to be one or the other instead of both. I also prefer the read and find it (if quests are written well enough and not so vague no one can find the locations), but markers wouldn't be the end of the world, you just can't do both because most people will just use the markers anyway and the time you put into the no marker version will just be wasted.

Both have their advantages and their problems. The markers means people skip through the world going from highlight to highlight and the world becomes disjointed and you don't really see how it is connected and it cuts down on exploration and figuring out the node and its connection to the greater world.

No markers means you have to take time to look at and understand the quest and if the quest isn't written well or a player has trouble understanding it then everything becomes a mess. Also it takes longer to find out where to go and what to do cause you have to reference back to the quest. Plus there is a greater chance of getting sidetracked exploring..wait that isn't actually a disadvantage.

I do want quest NPCs to be marked though. Because I don't want to spend hours running around a metropolis talking to every freaking NPC every time I level or complete a quest that might open up quests with someone else. That just seems... problematic.