Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

@Devs How do you view the Mythic Dungeon International?

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I'm interested in how you view dungeon running as a competitive esport type thing.

Are you happy that its a thing, do you think its not something that interests you?

I understand that there will be world firsts, but how do you feel about perfecting a dungeon run over time?

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    eSports is not the main focus, but the game will naturally move in that direction if the game play is compelling, competitive and fun.

If we make the gameplay compelling, competitive and fun, that naturally it will move in that direction; and then we will find the ability to support it afterwards. – Steven Sharif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-sX1aFljM&feature=youtu.be&t=39m48s
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • chickachasechickachase Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well I find World first not important for ashes because it pretty much a lottery system on which ones you get. But I like a bit of variety of dungeons as continuing running the same one get a bit boring.
    HSGNewSignatureFormatChickaChaseApril12th2nd_Edition.png?width=1442&height=416
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    I think esports for it will be a thing, and most of the time esports is GREAT for a game. UNLESS they developers focus only on it, ditching fun mechanics for more esports friendly ones or whatever. I would say I really hope they embrace esports and do stuff with it, but I just hope they don't ruin the game with forcing and pushing for esports really hard.
    Poko.png
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Jahlon you scamp, thanks for being a font of knowledge.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dislike dungeon speed running since it will have a strict class meta tied to it.
    But IF it brings esports and IF thats good for the game, why not :p
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
    Any time you have a skill tree and classes your going to have those meta builds
    I dont like meta builds but its a way of life now
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I believe WoW is very much the exception when it comes to competitive PvE content. I honestly can't think of another E-sport that focuses on PvE.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • The idea of 'perfecting a dungeon run' over time makes me cringe. It's a very meta notion that is one of the most boring things I could imagine doing in an mmo world full of other possibilities and options. But hey, if it's your thing, I say go for it.

Personally, I'm just so glad the devs are trying to design dungeons so they don't need to be farmed over and over for items. Whatever happens, I hope they keep a focus on progressing the genre by moving away from heavily repeated content.

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think this should encompass some ideas we had in this thread: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42156/please-make-a-labyrinth/p1
    The idea is that we have a labyrinth type dungeon, where the whole run is on a timer. Each boss has a cheast and gives you some extra time to progress further, and when the timer runs out you have to fight the last boss, while the other boss monster turn to stone.
    Could be a really nice competetive dungeon in my opinion :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not asking for a timed labyrinth. I think asking for one is nice and maybe the interest shown by people will give them ideas for something they could do.

I was just curious if they'd talked about it or hadn't commented on it yet.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At one point, Stephen had never played World of Warcraft. (Still true?) That’s the most true dungeon experience I’ve had. Accordingly, I expect this to be a more PVP and social game

Virtue is the only good.
  • If Steven keeps his word, we won't have a DPS meter. It will be really hard to track damage and therefore the most effective set up.
    I'm hoping he keeps his word, I don't enjoy DPS meter or anything that tracks your performance.
    We have become so accustomed to addons that we think it's impossible to play or have great set ups without them.
    I believe AoC can become a game where you play the game, and that's it. No necessity to watch over Health bars like it's the actual game, or some random numbers left of your screen.
    Zorish wrote: »
    If Steven keeps his word, we won't have a DPS meter. It will be really hard to track damage and therefore the most effective set up.
    I'm hoping he keeps his word, I don't enjoy DPS meter or anything that tracks your performance.
    We have become so accustomed to addons that we think it's impossible to play or have great set ups without them.
    I believe AoC can become a game where you play the game, and that's it. No necessity to watch over Health bars like it's the actual game, or some random numbers left of your screen.

I like DPS meters for two reasons. You actually know who pulls his own weight in a fight, and I like it when the meter analyses where my dmg comes from (Did you know that in WoD the top dps from a combat rogue where melee attacks, off hand attacks and a filler?)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I understand Dps meters but only when it’s used for more information like interrupts, cleansing, and other mechanics. (I can’t stand number paddlers!) I do enjoy being able to see if I’m using the right skills in the right way. However I can manage without it, as a casual player it’s more of a quality of life thing.
    Sivanna wrote: »
    I understand Dps meters but only when it’s used for more information like interrupts, cleansing, and other mechanics. (I can’t stand number paddlers!) I do enjoy being able to see if I’m using the right skills in the right way. However I can manage without it, as a casual player it’s more of a quality of life thing.

DPS meters are not always about number paddling. As a raid leader, you HAVE to know if someone does nothing (we once had a good equipped hunter who spammed one ability and then autoshot) or not. Without dps meters we would have no idea about these important pieces of information (dps, total dealt dmg, which is way more important then dps btw, interrupts, cleanses, etc).
    I have to agree with you, that you should not ONLY look at the dps meter / anyone that is below a specific dps number would get kicked. We oftentimes took people with mediocre or bad numbers with us because they had good synergy with us and they did the mechanics correctly.

All in all, you should not live after the dps meter, but it is an extremely helpfull tool for raid leaders, because it is OUR responsibility to get the raid as far as possible.
    a6XEiIf.gif