Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Armors and weapons being non static

Rem_Rem_ Member
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Hey Guys~! Hope everyone's having a good day/evening/night I was wondering everybody's opinion on armors and weapons being static.

I know this will be a pretty big point of contention, seeing how some people may like more simple things and other people may like more high fantasy stuff. Either way I'd like to know if you'd love to see some moving armor and weapons.

I haven't played a single mmorpg yet so I wouldn't know how hard this is, but I do watch Asmongold and I saw in a transmog competition in WoW This shield.507895-furnace-of-the-great-machine.jpg

I thought it was amazing because spikes just jut out from the shield every once in a while. I know this could get crazy and out of control but I feel like rare animated weapons and armor could be really cool.

Another example could be, you kill a huge octopus or squirt boss or something with tentacles~! you get a helmet that has tentacles on it that move around. That could add so much for me, I feel it would look amazing! I just have no idea the effects on performance and stuff it would have. Anyway please share your thoughts <3 Thank you!
Poko.png

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really want a mindflayer helmet now.
    uegejimaugh11.png
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    id rather see moving or bending parts making equipment unique then a bright glow that you can notice from far away XD that shield is a rly nice example, thx for sharing!
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    my favourite weapons from wow are all challenge weapons from WoD.
    cZIKYjF.png

Souleater always wriggles around and gets a ghostlike sheen.
    Arcana Shard Spire has breaking and rearranging crystals.
    Elemental Crescent switches between an inferno and glacial ice.
    Sunblade grows a illusory blade.
    Equus becomes a mechanical moving horse head.
    Claws of creation gets ghostlike extensions i think.
    Crystal Shot Longrifle has three moving barrels, and the projectile grows between the three barrels.
    Shifting Fellblade elongates, when drawn.
    Flamegrinder drops molten metal.
    Living Longbow grows flowers and the vines writhe and grow.
    Those are the ones i know ^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I loved the moving item's in WoW, but after playing BDO and experiencing the combat system, I don't miss it at all because of how awesome the effects/animation in combat are. I would always get so bummed out in WoW when item's would only temporarily light up and preferred armor set's that had more intricate detail to them to compensate for a lack of moving parts.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All I want is for the pages in my grimoire to turn when I'm casting spells
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Since Steven said his aim was to make an MMORPG that's better than anything that's out there it stirred some expectations within me. One such expectations is this one.
    Also with all the times steven has mentioned adding animations to cosmetics, I expect in game stuff to be up to par. like for example when the grimsail came out he mentioned it would have an animation where it would eat the defeated ship if certain conditions were met. So I expect items in game to have animations as well. if there is no animated items in game I will be disappointed.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    All I know is I had 3 druids farming for living wood spaulders because Flickering bug wings are neat! I also loved the legendary cloak effects in MOP, having sort of ethereal wings show up occasionally was great ( and lots of fun when paired with toys and skills that gave wing effects too!)
  • Options
    I wold rather have not static over shiny , even in legendary equipment, shiny makes an item seems so whimsical in a bad way, maybe if it could just keep the idea of a natural shinning like with a gem attached on the shoulders or some golden or silver glimmers, but not like the weapons we have seen in APOC, at least thats my opinion
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Considering that weapons and armors can affect your current abilities, what I'd like to see in particular are re-skins of those abilities corresponding to the type of element the gear resembles. And if it is non-static as well it would totally just boost my ego even further.
  • Options
    cotukcotuk Member
    I'm the only one who likes glowing equipment?!
    I like when equipment is glowing for a reason. Reasons may be gems/runes inserted in it, or something like gear crafted from ghost cloth would shine in sage colour. +it's faster to develop stuff like that comparing to moving parts...
    2a0jptg.png
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    But glow should be something very rare :C and its also harder to see the nice details on wepons like that
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    I definitely agree that it would get crazy quickly if done too often. But maybe it would be awesome to have something subtle on the best gear around.
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    muridious wrote: »
    I definitely agree that it would get crazy quickly if done too often. But maybe it would be awesome to have something subtle on the best gear around.

Yeah that would be quite amazing!~ It would add so much c: I think at least
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    shkevi wrote: »
    But glow should be something very rare :C and its also harder to see the nice details on wepons like that

Oh yea I don't really like how everything looks in apoc, it's all glowy like star wars or something. HOPEFULLY they really change that before the mmo comes out. It looks silly to be honest x3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    CoTuK wrote: »
    I'm the only one who likes glowing equipment?!
    I like when equipment is glowing for a reason. Reasons may be gems/runes inserted in it, or something like gear crafted from ghost cloth would shine in sage colour. +it's faster to develop stuff like that comparing to moving parts...

No I like glowing stuff tooooo~ but I don't like just a bland glow effect like a light saber cx I also don't like when EVERYTHING glows....~

Imagine.... you finally get a super rare SUPER DUPER rare sword or whatever from a fire boss... you finally equip it and it glows ornagey red from cracks in the sword that lava seeps out from~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    mcjenkins wrote: »
    Considering that weapons and armors can affect your current abilities, what I'd like to see in particular are re-skins of those abilities corresponding to the type of element the gear resembles. And if it is non-static as well it would totally just boost my ego even further.

Mhm~! It would be awesome if you were like... a frost mage of sorts and the enchants and glows of your weapons turned frosty and cold.. blue and icey~! That would be delightful c:
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Sivanna wrote: »
    All I know is I had 3 druids farming for living wood spaulders because Flickering bug wings are neat! I also loved the legendary cloak effects in MOP, having sort of ethereal wings show up occasionally was great ( and lots of fun when paired with toys and skills that gave wing effects too!)

Well I haven't really ever played WoW~ I just watched asmongold and his transmog competitions because I love customizing gear~! Those sound pretty neat though~! Having wings~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Santy182 wrote: »
    Since Steven said his aim was to make an MMORPG that's better than anything that's out there it stirred some expectations within me. One such expectations is this one.
    Also with all the times steven has mentioned adding animations to cosmetics, I expect in game stuff to be up to par. like for example when the grimsail came out he mentioned it would have an animation where it would eat the defeated ship if certain conditions were met. So I expect items in game to have animations as well. if there is no animated items in game I will be disappointed.

Mhm me too~! I mean they're using unreal engine 4 ..... they can make the game look absolutely beautiful and do amazing things... not that it isn't possible in other engines but it'll look amazing here.

I really hope they have animated armor~! It'll bring so much, maybe some over the top stuff, some subtle stuff to please both of the crowds~! <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Nagash wrote: »

That.... would... be....amazing... wait doesn't that already happen in apoc..~? IMAGINE IF THEY IMPROVE IT~! ouo
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    neebee77 wrote: »
    I loved the moving item's in WoW, but after playing BDO and experiencing the combat system, I don't miss it at all because of how awesome the effects/animation in combat are. I would always get so bummed out in WoW when item's would only temporarily light up and preferred armor set's that had more intricate detail to them to compensate for a lack of moving parts.

Mmmmmhmmmmm~! A friend recently got me to try Nexon's Invictus, ashes will be my first mmo but I've seen bdo and I LOVE action combat. I feel like it adds an extra layer of mechanical skill.
    I really hope they get the action combat right c: It adds so much for me, before Ashes I hadn't even CONSIDERED playing an mmorpg. I'm sure they'll get the combat right though~
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Damokles wrote: »
    my favourite weapons from wow are all challenge weapons from WoD.
    cZIKYjF.png

Souleater always wriggles around and gets a ghostlike sheen.
    Arcana Shard Spire has breaking and rearranging crystals.
    Elemental Crescent switches between an inferno and glacial ice.
    Sunblade grows a illusory blade.
    Equus becomes a mechanical moving horse head.
    Claws of creation gets ghostlike extensions i think.
    Crystal Shot Longrifle has three moving barrels, and the projectile grows between the three barrels.
    Shifting Fellblade elongates, when drawn.
    Flamegrinder drops molten metal.
    Living Longbow grows flowers and the vines writhe and grow.
    Those are the ones i know ^^

Those.... are.... all... AMAZINGGGGG~!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3 I really hope ashes has stufff like that~!!!! Not all glowy and light sabery but with those smooth awesome animations on weapons and armor... mmmnf~! lol okay getting too excited.

But I just can't wait~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

That.... would... be....amazing... wait doesn't that already happen in apoc..~? IMAGINE IF THEY IMPROVE IT~! ouo

It can always be better ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    uegejimaugh11.png

YUS!!!!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member

It can always be better ^^

Yeah of course~! It's just a rough animation in apoc hopefully~! It'll be amazing if they make it better, which I'm sure they will c:
    Poko.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

+1000000000000000 this so much, grimoires with animated pages, floating and everything else, add a nice glow to the runes inside when casting spells perhaps. Other than that maybe a crystal on a staff that glows too <:
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I the NCSoft does a good job with the grimoires in Guild Wars 2 for the guardian spec. Ghost-like pages float through the air and I believe the pages turn too. That would be nice. I get so bored with the grimoires in FFXIV.
    signature.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    LunarSky wrote: »
    I the NCSoft does a good job with the grimoires in Guild Wars 2 for the guardian spec. Ghost-like pages float through the air and I believe the pages turn too. That would be nice. I get so bored with the grimoires in FFXIV.

I'm SUPER positive that the Grimoires will look amazing. Look at them in apoc along, they were animated right? I believe they were with the pages turning. I could be wrong though its been.... a while since it's been up ;w; rip <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    uegejimaugh11.png

YUS!!!!

One where the tentacles reach out and grab the face of the person you are fighting.
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    noemad wrote: »
    uegejimaugh11.png

YUS!!!!

One where the tentacles reach out and grab the face of the person you are fighting.

Hahahaha that could be an amazing fighting tactic~!!! cx
    Poko.png
  • Options
    JokucJokuc Member
    edited April 2019
    1. Those are some pretty cool ghosts in your signature!
    2. >Asmongold ..I don't see how people can like that guy, he's a bit of an ass
    3. On-topic, I'm not really a huge fan of having too many high-fantasy weapons, I do think they should be in the game, but I don't want to see these kind of weapons being easily obtainable as that would result in everyone running around with low level weapons and gear that look like legendary weapons and gear. IMO most basic and good gear/weapons should be more "realistic" (as if a magic staff is realistic, but you get what I mean) and only the rare ones having high-fantasy designs.
    2030 release let's goooooooooooooo