Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

SOLO vs MassiveMultiplayer

2»

Comments

• Options
    ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I get the most enjoyment and engagement through exploration -- of the world, systems and lore. Therefore my lot is solo, with group happening as the situation demands it. But if I can solo, I will. The social aspect isn't what draws me to MMORPGs, it's the game aspect.
  • Options
    BloodlessBloodless Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Ilisfet wrote: »
    I get the most enjoyment and engagement through exploration -- of the world, systems and lore. Therefore my lot is solo, with group happening as the situation demands it. But if I can solo, I will. The social aspect isn't what draws me to MMORPGs, it's the game aspect.

But why not make friends with a buddy and explore together?
  • Options
    beardobeardo Member, Intrepid Pack
    Solo players shouldn’t play mmos.. I never understood solo dungeons or people who strictly play solo. Solo content takes away from the game what could be fun group content.. solo quest and dungeons are over simplified and boring. I never have once thought man this solo quest is fun and engaging.. it’s just monotonous crap I do while watching YouTube or listening to music. It then becomes not really a game but a (in most cases mandatory) chore. The whole thing about “it’s punishing to not have a lot of content available for someone to do alone isn’t fair” is lame. It just waters down content so somebody shouldn’t have to interact with people which is what I feel is the downfall of mmos. Sure you get stupid people, exploitive people out for themselves, the know-it-alls, and “that guy” but eventually you start running across people who are good and you add them and find others like them start forming groups a lot, maybe make a guild, and bam 5+ years friendships. You don’t even need to worry about that with watered down easy ass content though. Unfortunately though solo content is a thing and people wonder why mmos are boring and stop becoming interesting after 2 months. Having to put in a little effort to find friends to get to certain content never killed anyone. Go play single player games if you can’t handle being social group content.. they are usually more fun in terms of gameplay anyway.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some stuff is solo, like crafting. We know IS is trying to make crafting in Ashes important. So some solo play will be necessary for some players. I also think being able to 'go at it alone' should be an option, especially when some players have hours open that are not popular. Just because you're on the same server as your guild there's no guarantee they are on.

Ashes is a mix of both and during the KS live streams they said they will be a lot to do as a solo player, but if you only play solo content you will miss a lot of what the game will have to offer.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    FerrymanFerryman Member
    edited May 2019
    I would say that mix of solo and group content is the key for succesful game. MMORPGs should not only focus on groups, because solo players are important part of the world. They are not playing just single player game, they are interacting with other players almost all the time. When you sell or buy items from other players you are interacting, when you are PKing or running away gankers you are interacting.. and so on.

Even those who mostly do group centric activities are doing at least some solo stuff as well. It is hard to see that anybody would do 100% things with groups. I am usually about 50/50 player, and even I like to group up with guildies, there is times when you just want to do things by yourself, you do not have time for longer group sessions or there are not enough other guildies/friends online to group with. And because of these reasons, both contents are important and supports each other.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are days when other things on your side of the screen take you away, like doing laundry, family, phone calls, people at your door, or you're just not feeling well. No one wants to group or play with someone who has to be AFK several times, especially when you're in the middle of things; so people who have schedules like this want to go solo so they don't frustrate other people, but be able to make some progress with the game.

I love to group, but real life often interferes, so when it does, I solo.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    bdoellebdoelle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    teyloune wrote: »
    If people want to play Solo then MMORPGs are the wrong type of game for them.

Oh no no no good Sir. I love playing mmorpgs solo. Having all of the players around adds to the game experience. It makes it so that if you need others, they are there, but you can play by yourself and enjoy not interacting with other players as well. I normally play a Hunter/Ranger/Beastmaster and the solo style is my way of life. Well, solo with a pet or two for company. Solo players bring another aspect of the game just like in real life!

-Doellemite, Master of Beasts
    Doellemite, Master of Beasts, Leader of Defiance
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    Right. Playing solo means you don't group to adventure. There are lots of other ways to socialize with other players.
    Solo adventuring in an MMORPG is not the same thing as playing a single-player game.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    aird88 wrote: »
    Ilisfet wrote: »

But why not make friends with a buddy and explore together?
    Because buddies aren't always available.
    Spending 2 hours to swim around a continent to uncover the fog of war is entertaining enough when the reward is being able to see more of the map. I don't necessarily want to do that again just because a buddy hasn't done that yet.
    I'm not going to "LFB to swim around Encarta!"

• Options
    I think the developers should try to target each gamer and their aspect of playing. I don't think it would be to hard to achieve this given all of the previous MMO's to give fruit of passion. Solo and Massive Multiplayer should be very achievable.

If I were to choose one, I would prefer Massive Multiplayer over the Solo experience.
  • Options
    Solo is part of the massively multiplayer experience.