Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Empire building and the Node system.

Hi everyone, glad to see the forums are back, and so am I. So my 1st discussion on the new look forums is this:

Will we see Empires popup from the node system?
I understand that we will only have 5 cities that can get to the top level and the other nodes close to them will sub to these main cities. So I got to thinking, if you have a motivated guild or guilds, what's to stop them from making a pack, then controlling an area on the map?

Now my point of this post is to have people talk about how to make this work, and point out the pros and cons of trying to make an empire in this type of setup, and can player empires last over time?

I figure this would make for a good topic to kick around, so let's hear your views and ideas on making an empire in AoC.

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would guess that Guild alliances will be the biggest "Empire" we will ever see here^^
    KInda like in EvE Online, where they wage war nearly all the time over strategic resources etc
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    its great to see you back @granthor
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    FhinFhin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well.. we already know that it should be impossible for a guild to control even 1 Node, to control several.. no chance at all?^^

still it would be fun to see an empire of sorts, and take them down^^
    Qsb9psK.png
  • Options
    Actually I want to play it out, after all^^
    let's say you have a guild of 300 people. Split that up into 10 groups of 30 people, each consisting of 5-7 very charismatic persons and the rest capable underlings.
    Each group would have the goal of rallying the main population of their respective Node and thus securing mayorship, of course you would mainly target lvl 4-6 Nodes, why care much about the vassal Nodes lower than 3, right?
    If you succeed in gaining control over those 10 Nodes, let's split that up in 2 metros, 6 cities and 2 towns + their vassals. You may argue to have an empire on your hands. Keeping control may be very difficult, though^^
    Qsb9psK.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Hackerson I didnt mean that ONE guild alone would manage the nodes^^
    I thought more aliong the line of three big 300 man guild in an alliance controling around 3-4 higher nodes! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    3-4 Nodes is hardly an empire, good sir^^

I couldn't help but propose a way that "could" work :smiley: (let's be real, no chance, but it's fun to think about^^)
    My idea only considers 1 guild, with 3 300 man guilds and that strategy, they could build an empire worth of the name and rule for a dynasty!
    Qsb9psK.png
  • Options
    chickachasechickachase Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just take control of a guild castle, you now have influence over 1/5th of the world.
    HSGNewSignatureFormatChickaChaseApril12th2nd_Edition.png?width=1442&height=416
  • Options
    I have been looking into world-building and a guy online I been watching on the topic used the 3 Cs for empires.
    Communication
    Control
    Commerce
    If you don't have these basic 3, then you will have issues keeping an empire in power. How this would work in AoC would be hard for a player group, but it's not out of the question if done right.

• Options
    chickachasechickachase Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not hard if you think about it. Guild castle which can effect control and commerce with taxes and other effects within their ZOI. If they get lucky with a sciencific node in their ZOI that gets T6 then that's fast travel capabilities which is big for more control and possible communication.
    HSGNewSignatureFormatChickaChaseApril12th2nd_Edition.png?width=1442&height=416
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The legend is back, great to see you bro.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think if a metropolis and all of its zoi is the same racial majority (hence same aesthetic) it could feel like a kingdom. If two said kingdom's had an alliance it might feel like an empire.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin