Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Story discussion - The hero vs the nameless figure

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Why should most NPCs know who you are? They get their news from what they think they understand from donkeys braying.

All kidding aside, your point has merit! It would make sense for the NPCs in your town to recognize you if you hold something like public office. Other games have done something similar.
    I think it's fine if NPCs are responding to reputation of accomplished deeds.
    What typically rankles me in RPGs, like D&D, is when the NPCs assume my character is an ADVENTURER.
    Especially if my character is really a Farmer who happens to be really good at defending his home.

I'd rather have NPCs respond to the title I've chosen to display rather than my class (unless I've chosen my class as my title). I don't even necessarily mind if the NPCs refer to me by the name of a specific deed.
    Having the title, Goblin Slayer, doesn't necessarily mean I'm an ADVENTURER. Slaying goblins who attack my home doesn't inherently mean I'm an adventurer. And doesn't necessarily mean I'd be willing to join a raid to kill a Dragon.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I'd argue even then in WoW we sort of feel inconsequential. Yes we're actually the ones who killed X and Y, but the real story and the real interest revolves around the famous NPCs.
    I mostly ignored the famous NPCs prior to Battle For Azeroth.
    I felt like I was the primary hero in Cataclysm. That being said, I had no interest in continuing to play WoW after Cataclysm, so I don't really know which expansion would have been the one to make feel like I was just a sidekick to the iconic heroes.
    That feeling was inescapable in Shadowlands.
  • Options
    Story wise? A random person doing things. So tired of the Ascended, Hero, Chosen One in a mmorpg, it makes no freaking sense.
    Let me be a random guy who helps people because they give him rewards, because why else would you do quests?
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited May 2021
    I think he nature of MMO dictates that every player must start as a nameless figure, and many of them will remain so through out their subscription, mainly because *every other player* would treat them AS a nameless figure.

Having the story narrative force the "perception of being a hero (by default)" upon a player results in an awkward & inconsistent experience as in GW2:
    During personal storyline quests, I'm the Pact Commander, the Elder Dragon Slayer. But as soon as I finish the quest and am back in the open world, suddenly I feel like a grunt, and the NPCs seem to treat me as a grunt. And when I enter WvW, now I'm downgraded even more to just a zergling, coz that would be my value in an WvW zerg unless I tag up (as commander), get on comms, and lead a zerg efficiently.

IMO to be a (more or less) "true" hero in an MMORPG would inevitably require "recognition from a large number of other players". Some examples would be the most skilled & charismatic fleet commanders, or exceptionally skilled pvp pilots in Eve Online.

You'll finally feel like a hero only when other PEOPLE starts treating you like a hero. And that means you have to work towards earning that recognition, which means you need to excel in some way and be able to prove yourself, which means being a hero in mmo is often not for everyone.

If one's obsessed with being the hero no matter what, just go play a single player rpg.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As a story narrative in an mmorpg, do you prefer your character to be the hero of the land, or a nameless figure who is part of the larger group?

Not going to come as a surprise to any one here, but I prefer that player characters are not directly tied to any over all main story narrative. I guess this would make me lean to the nameless figure camp.

I could lose an hour long skirmish defending a caravan with my friends. Retelling the story of the lost caravan later on to other people would feel like it is more a part of my characters story than the fact that I read some quests and defeated the games main NPC villain.

Being a huge advocate for emergent game play and sandbox gaming. This is just how I feel.

Nothing wrong with people wanting to play a game where they are the hero of the land though.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I want to be stand-up normalguy. I hope to be able to gain reputation among npcs, helping fairies to avoid extermination should probably give me good name among fairies.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer to be a nameless figure, but not necessarily 'a part of the group'. By this I don't mean being all by myself, but I think of 'the group' as those who go out and fight off the monsters and seize kingdoms and make names for themselves. I like being a nameless figure to the point I'm almost like an NPC. I enjoy gathering my herbs, chopping my trees, making and selling my potions or furniture, and then going home to my little house that might have a little pet or something. I know games are supposed to be an escape from reality, but I like the simplicity of it.
  • Options
    Nameless for sure, since one can earn titles and acclaim within the story. I don't want the "Only you can save this land" while around you are 20 other people doing the same quest hearing the same thing.
    OneKeytotheRight