Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

about those 'oversized swords'

2»

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    jokuc wrote: »
    I like oversized swords, the argument that they ruin immersion seems like bullshit to me as a regular swordsman can use super strength, fire attacks and all that magic shit anyway so why wouldn't he be able to swing a huge sword? But whatever, it's not like Steven is going to change his opinion anyway.
    The argument isn’t that they ruin immersion, it’s that they look idiotic and turn the game into a ridiculous cartoon.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    atama wrote: »
    I like oversized swords, the argument that they ruin immersion seems like bullshit to me as a regular swordsman can use super strength, fire attacks and all that magic shit anyway so why wouldn't he be able to swing a huge sword? But whatever, it's not like Steven is going to change his opinion anyway.
    The argument isn’t that they ruin immersion, it’s that they look idiotic and turn the game into a ridiculous cartoon.

...doesn't that ruin your immersion else what's the issue with giving players the option to have larger weapons if you also have the option to have smaller ones? Why can't others look cartoony if you don't have to?
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    atama wrote: »

...doesn't that ruin your immersion else what's the issue with giving players the option to have larger weapons if you also have the option to have smaller ones? Why can't others look cartoony if you don't have to?
    Because I still have to look at them.

I’m coming from games like TERA where others’ freedom to look how they want totally ruin the game for me. It doesn’t have to be “immersion” (I think that term is used too often and incorrectly). It’s an awful aesthetic style. My immersion doesn’t have to be ruined for me to be annoyed by a guy riding around on a cartoon duck which is wearing an Afro and Beats headphones. And the guy himself is wearing Speedos, sunglasses, and has a giant panda-shaped ice cream bar on his back.

And that isn’t a silly made-up example, those are real options in that game. Here's a typical TERA character from an in-game screenshot.

c957395430a7eec62cfedd89586b8a.png

And here’s that mount I mentioned.

062be9a7bf8c97b977963ecd03b8142c.jpg

Again, I don’t need to make an argument about immersion to hate that crap and not want to see it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Just wanna throw this in here :smile:

TERA . . . nuff said
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

TERA . . . nuff said

I actually enjoyed TERA. Big Glaive Lady (Valkyrie) was a lot of fun. But uh... yeah... That shit's ridiculous. She had like 3 ultimate abilities.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    leonerdo wrote: »

TERA . . . nuff said

I actually enjoyed TERA. Big Glaive Lady (Valkyrie) was a lot of fun. But uh... yeah... That shit's ridiculous. She had like 3 ultimate abilities.

Tera is still my favorite mmorpg. The elves . . . :smiley:
  • Options
    Well a lot of items in game will be slightly oversized just so you can see the detail. But this is not oversized like one size up. This is more like four times the normal size. So big all you see is the weapon not so much the toon. Basically sword is made for giants and big giants at that. I could see an average sized dragon weild the sword provided by unknown system error.

Best recommentdation to you is play a big race cause weapons usually scale to size of race and maybe have the camera a little closer if you can help it so weapon looks bigger.

• Options
    Intrepid is not a fan of oversized swords but they are fans of oversized sword guards ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Ao-C-Forum-Sig-by-JINX.png
  • Options
    XspearoXspearo Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    edited July 2019
    Gotta have "Guts" to wield such a weapon!!
    berserk-anime-guts-man-armor-manga-japanese-sword-ken-blade.jpg
    Sorry for all the edits, my phone sucks!!
    Xspearo
  • Options
    I think a few over-sized swords but with lore backing them (giant's weapon for example) wouldn't destroy the immersion of players. If players wanted the skin just to reskin their current sword because that's what they are into why stop them? Appealing to all types of gamers, even in small ways, is what will make this game successful. Of course the over-sized sword skin would still need to be somewhat realistic to align with Steven's vision.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    620488aefa23b5b1e719f47ccb482e56.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    XspearoXspearo Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    edited July 2019
    @unknownsystemerror @neomir can I ask why you are so against oversized weapons?

For me, I dont expect or want it to be two times the size of a character but I dont think it would be a bad idea. I dont play video games for characters in game to have the same capability I have. Our characters are suppose to be heroes of the people meaning have some extraordinary capabilities. So being stronger than most and being able to wield an epic weapon shouldn't be issue.
    Xspearo
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @earthern they have their place but not in Ashes of Creation. I see them as a comic MMO theme, mainly seen in Asian games. So for the same reason I dont want to see over sized shoulder guards or bikini plate armour because it would be immersion breaking for a high fantasy game like Ashes.

I dont have anything against large great swords like the Scottish Claymore, the French Bastard Sword or German Zweihander. Large swords can play a part, but need to fit the medieval theme. If you want to swing something oversized use the Halberd :grin:
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @earthern I am more against people trying to turn the game into something that wasn't envisioned or promised. We all have a mental image of what we want Ashes to be and many are going to be disappointed when what they have built up in their heads over the last couple years does not match up to what the reality is. Ultimately the vision is Stevens. He has been pretty clear about his vision for the mmo that he and the team are making. I am not so naive to think that people when confronted with quotes that are in opposition to what they want that they will just stop trying to get what they want. But in todays post-truth society, a small minority believes that if they say something often and loud enough they can bend reality to their wishes. Could Steven suddenly change the style of game he is making? Sure. We have gone through epic battles on the forums over what people want for art style (Stuffertons comes to mind), pvp corruption, and many other topics. What has me psyched for the title is that on a huge variety of those topics, they have just let the discourse run, and not changed a thing. They may have clarified details that sharpen general statements, but the overall vision has not changed from anything I have seen.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    @earthern I am more against people trying to turn the game into something that wasn't envisioned or promised. We all have a mental image of what we want Ashes to be and many are going to be disappointed when what they have built up in their heads over the last couple years does not match up to what the reality is. Ultimately the vision is Stevens. He has been pretty clear about his vision for the mmo that he and the team are making. I am not so naive to think that people when confronted with quotes that are in opposition to what they want that they will just stop trying to get what they want. But in todays post-truth society, a small minority believes that if they say something often and loud enough they can bend reality to their wishes. Could Steven suddenly change the style of game he is making? Sure. We have gone through epic battles on the forums over what people want for art style (Stuffertons comes to mind), pvp corruption, and many other topics. What has me psyched for the title is that on a huge variety of those topics, they have just let the discourse run, and not changed a thing. They may have clarified details that sharpen general statements, but the overall vision has not changed from anything I have seen.

That is one thing I that is great. I love the fact that Steven is (for the most part) sticking with his vision. I still don't understand why people threw a tissy fit like a bunch of children over stufferton, but whatever. I thought it was stupid too, but could understand it being in the game since there was lore to back it up. I honestly think Steven is close to telling someone to fuck off if they argue too much with him about what should be in a game he is leading the design for.
  • Options
    I've always wondered about the big swords issue... seems like compensation issues to me. But then I always play rogues, so I like short pointy things, preferably covered in poison.
    Sheesh those TERA pics are pure eye cancer >.< I couldn't run away fast enough from a game looking like that.
  • Options
    not a fan of oversized swords
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Would you class bonesmasher as oversized as no real human could us that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2019
    nagash wrote: »
    Would you class bonesmasher as oversized as no real human could us that

Doesnt look too heavy ;D
    latest?cb=20130416210402

Edit:

And i also think that this is mostly about paddle like swords. A hammer can still be swung, if the handle is long enough ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    noemadnoemad Member
    Maybe it's just because I've studied the physics behind huge weapons but there is no amount of "it's magic" that can convince me that a person can wield a huge weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QSu1EolCI

As an example.

Good ol' Skallagrim. I haven't seen any of his vids for a while. That should probably change.