Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

To all the hardcore PvPers out there

2»

Comments

• seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    Some people like to spend their time magnifying ants or smashing beetles with a rock :c
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • beardobeardo Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2019
    “It’s because I love the sounds of people pleading while I have all of the power and they have none of the power and I’m standing over them like a child might stand over an anthill and as the water rises on their sinking ship and they look to me and in that moment... that frail little moment of helplessness.. they know.. who their god is.” -General Sam
  • zinniezinnie Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    There is a distinction that needs to be made between Griefers and PvP'ers.

Griefers are usually the bullies, they enjoy killing the same person over and over and get satisfaction from watching the rage in text chat. They are people with a need to feel superior to others and are usually the first ones to absolutely lose it if they die. I've seen people like this scream into their microphones on voice chat, calling everyone names because they died.
    Those types of players are not worth the air they are breathing.

Then there is PvP'ers. I consider myself in this group. I enjoy fair fights, so I tend to enjoy Arena gameplay the most. Be it 1v1, 3v3 or 5v5. These fights can be one-sided at times, but with a good enough ratingsystem its the most equal PvP fights in a game.
    In an open world setting, I enjoy fighting like-minded and willing participants the most in GvG's or Castle Sieges for example. I do not get enjoyment from killing random solo players trying to exp. I get enjoyment from a challenge and satisfaction from beating tough opponents.

That's an answer from my perspective at least.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    zinnie wrote: »
    There is a distinction that needs to be made between Griefers and PvP'ers.

Griefers are usually the bullies, they enjoy killing the same person over and over and get satisfaction from watching the rage in text chat. They are people with a need to feel superior to others and are usually the first ones to absolutely lose it if they die. I've seen people like this scream into their microphones on voice chat, calling everyone names because they died.
    Those types of players are not worth the air they are breathing.

Then there is PvP'ers. I consider myself in this group. I enjoy fair fights, so I tend to enjoy Arena gameplay the most. Be it 1v1, 3v3 or 5v5. These fights can be one-sided at times, but with a good enough ratingsystem its the most equal PvP fights in a game.
    In an open world setting, I enjoy fighting like-minded and willing participants the most in GvG's or Castle Sieges for example. I do not get enjoyment from killing random solo players trying to exp. I get enjoyment from a challenge and satisfaction from beating tough opponents.

That's an answer from my perspective at least.

100% agree there with you friend
  • amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2019
    Hello, I’m somewhat in the category of players that you tried to address.

Since I see people proclaim themselves as RPers/PvEers and the honorable PvPers I thought maybe the view of a Pker would be needed. Right now, it seems more like the poor are asked what they think about the rich and the other way around.
    So why do I kill a player?
    Usually, there is a reason:

• Quests: You are blocking progression and today I can’t be asked to chat about it over some tea with you.
    • Mobs: See above
    • Loot: Either I would like to take your loot, or I would like you to not take what could be my (guildmates) loot in a bit.
    • Guilds: Bad blood between guilds
    • Relationships: Forums/Map Chat or just recognition just a bit worse blood
    • Names: If you must run around with slurs etc. as a name that just happens
    • A joke: Wrong time, wrong place
    • Curiosity: What is this guy doing?

Your case would fall into either Quests/Mobs and Curiosity since you come back again and again. Which asks the question: How often will he come back?

From the top of my head, I can't think of a time where I would have killed someone for absolutely no reason.
    Now since I’m already here let’s address some stereotypes:
    Do I enjoy people raging on being killed? Yes, I do it is very funny.
    Do I enjoy easy kills? It depends if it is for money/loot I don’t mind it is quick money. When it comes to fighting someone, I don’t pick easy fights since then the point isn’t the money but the fight. Though I will fight weaker opponents if they ask me to.

Do I always lose if I don’t have the advantage of surprise? Not always but sometimes just depends some people are better than you some aren’t.

Maybe the “how did you become this” is also interesting to some. I started this playstyle a couple of years ago in a guild killing its own factions’ traders and then later the ones protecting these traders. It was very fun since guilds were supporting you outside your faction and inside and the opponents were also on both factions. While you had to run away from the big guilds once the army arrived it was still a lot of fun to fight them and their traders before that happened. Since then I just enjoy doing it.
    Something that came up was that PK isn’t PvP. I disagree with this since PvP is simply players fighting players to me. PvP has many forms it moves to a good image for this is inheritance in programming. While PvP might not be the same as PK Pk is part of PvP same as honorable PvP (duels) isn’t the same as PvP but a part of it.

Accusing Pkers/Griefers as people not worth their air and other things seem familiar on how all gamers are good for nothing basement dwellers in some media’s eyes.

I don’t identify myself as a griefer just as a Pker and therefor PvPer. Additionally, I don't just play one role, I play many. That is why I don't agree with stereotyping players without knowing them.

I hope this helped.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know what "world PvP" is.
    "Open world PvP" is any PvP combat that does not occur in an instance.
    Ashes is a PvX game, but...

I guess what you're trying to say is that if you aren't attacked while PvEing, it's not ganking.
    And the potential for ganking is typically inherent on a server with open world PvP combat.
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They did it because they can, it has nothing to do with being hardcore or a PVP'er. Your passive approach after only encouraged them to grief you more because it spoke louder than words that you was annoyed with being killed or camped.

@zinnie hits the nail on the head. PvP'ers enjoy the fight, win or lose.

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    dygz wrote: »
    I don't know what "world PvP" is.
    "Open world PvP" is any PvP combat that does not occur in an instance.
    Ashes is a PvX game, but...

I guess what you're trying to say is that if you aren't attacked while PvEing, it's not ganking.
    And the potential for ganking is typically inherent on a server with open world PvP combat.

This comment touches on an interesting point @dygz

What do people currently actually understand to be "ganking" and has the definition of this changed?

In 2004, for me and my friends playing Lineage 2, a "gank" was literally just a kill, and the act of "ganking" was simply a PK. This didn't have to be an open world surprise attack either. It could be an organized duel.

This at one point morphed into "killing a player who couldn't or wouldn't fight back" which based on this thread is the current definition.

It could also mean an ambush attack, a severely one sided attack (overwhelming numbers) or even to mean "to steal something" such as saying "oh I just ganked this monster spawn from that guy."

I think why this topic is so poorly debated is we essentially have our own Tower of Babel going on, where each person is using a different version of what it means to "gank".

This is just specific example of the overall problem in what makes PvP discussions so schizophrenic half the time.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2019
    @karthos
    A gank for me, will probably always be a pvp player randomly attacking someone else in the open. (Played too much lol to define it as anything else ;) )
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I understood it to be originally be from "gang kill" - as in a gang of players killing a disadvantaged player - usually via ambush, level disparity or a non-consensual victim.
    But, yeah, some language drift over 20 years of MMORPGs.
  • i feel like this is turning into one of those pvp threads from the old forums.

As per OP's question: Its a psychology thing? Lots of idiots out there. Its like asking a normal person why a serial killer kills. Everyone has there own forms of enjoyment (not justifying a serial killers actions please dont quote that). Personally i enjoy pvp for the challenge. I enjoy pve for the adventure and exploration. Do i like hard stomping someone? yeah it feels good to be dominant sometimes. Do i like repeteadly ganking someone ? no its stupid but others might not think so. If we're in a fight or war of some sorts, will i abuse the weakest link among my enemies? yes.

Honestly i'd like to say your question was stupid but that would be rude. I can see why you would ask such a question but it feels sort of childish. People just have reasons i guess. i have a girl at work who keeps unplugging my computer every morning simply because shes an asshole. Or i think shes an asshole but the hell would i know what her justifications are. All i know is she hasnt been fired yet and im upset about that. Theres over 7 billion people on the planet. Lotta weird mofos out there
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • ArgentDawnArgentDawn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    amuria wrote: »
    Hello, I’m somewhat in the category of players that you tried to address.

Since I see people proclaim themselves as RPers/PvEers and the honorable PvPers I thought maybe the view of a Pker would be needed. Right now, it seems more like the poor are asked what they think about the rich and the other way around.
    So why do I kill a player?
    Usually, there is a reason:

• Quests: You are blocking progression and today I can’t be asked to chat about it over some tea with you.
    • Mobs: See above
    • Loot: Either I would like to take your loot, or I would like you to not take what could be my (guildmates) loot in a bit.
    • Guilds: Bad blood between guilds
    • Relationships: Forums/Map Chat or just recognition just a bit worse blood
    • Names: If you must run around with slurs etc. as a name that just happens
    • A joke: Wrong time, wrong place
    • Curiosity: What is this guy doing?

Your case would fall into either Quests/Mobs and Curiosity since you come back again and again. Which asks the question: How often will he come back?

From the top of my head, I can't think of a time where I would have killed someone for absolutely no reason.
    Now since I’m already here let’s address some stereotypes:
    Do I enjoy people raging on being killed? Yes, I do it is very funny.
    Do I enjoy easy kills? It depends if it is for money/loot I don’t mind it is quick money. When it comes to fighting someone, I don’t pick easy fights since then the point isn’t the money but the fight. Though I will fight weaker opponents if they ask me to.

Do I always lose if I don’t have the advantage of surprise? Not always but sometimes just depends some people are better than you some aren’t.

Maybe the “how did you become this” is also interesting to some. I started this playstyle a couple of years ago in a guild killing its own factions’ traders and then later the ones protecting these traders. It was very fun since guilds were supporting you outside your faction and inside and the opponents were also on both factions. While you had to run away from the big guilds once the army arrived it was still a lot of fun to fight them and their traders before that happened. Since then I just enjoy doing it.
    Something that came up was that PK isn’t PvP. I disagree with this since PvP is simply players fighting players to me. PvP has many forms it moves to a good image for this is inheritance in programming. While PvP might not be the same as PK Pk is part of PvP same as honorable PvP (duels) isn’t the same as PvP but a part of it.

Accusing Pkers/Griefers as people not worth their air and other things seem familiar on how all gamers are good for nothing basement dwellers in some media’s eyes.

I don’t identify myself as a griefer just as a Pker and therefor PvPer. Additionally, I don't just play one role, I play many. That is why I don't agree with stereotyping players without knowing them.

I hope this helped.

I hope we're on the same server. I believe we would get along great... Until we found something unique and then.... Tea?
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    I have a question for you. What enjoyment do you get out of a 1-sided fight?

A little background to this question. I'm currently playing on a WoW TBC private realm that happens to be a PvP realm. This isn't my choice but my options are limited. So I was out questing just now and there were a lot of players from the enemy faction running around, including some who were much too high for that zone. Why were they there? To kill people like me. Now I generally don't engage in any form of world PvP as I don't enjoy it and see little point in it. After all, the only time someone is going to engage in a fight is when they are sure to win. Because of this, world PvP is nearly always 1-sided and over in about 5 seconds.

So there I am killing mobs and I get jumped by 2 players from the enemy faction. They were lower level than me and 1v1 I could have killed them, but 2v1 they killed me. The first time I put up a fight, almost killing one of them, but died. I thought this would be the end of it, but no. As soon as I respawned they ganked me again. This time I didn't fight back and just stood there. After all, I knew I couldn't beat them and they had enough CC to lock me down and kill me so I couldn't escape. At this point I was curious to see how many times they would kill a player who never fights back.

6 times. 6 times I respawned and they killed me, despite me not fighting back at all. I'm genuinely curious to know what was going through their heads to want to kill me so many times on respawn like that.

its fun to do, plus MMORPG games have that game design. World pvp won't be fair most of the time unless zones are locked by level because anyone of any level could be anywhere. MMORPG games are like that because you can just farm and mindlessly play all day and be super powerful. It's a huge turn off for me in games like WoW where even if you'd played the game for years you still can lose a 2v1 because the game is designed for you to lose if you play less. I just wish MMORPG games were not designed like this, it is obviously good to get stronger when you put in more time yes. I also think you should be able to use mechanics, game knowledge and other means to be able to outplay more than one opponent. Otherwise to at least me, nothing feels skillful. Going and mindlessly afk killing npc bosses to get good gear to just go afk fight someone and auto win because you have better gear isn't fun at all. I'm not sure if it would be possible to add stuff like this, with ashes they have action combat so that does add potential to outplay your opponents by being able to hit skillshots and aimed abilities but I'm not sure how far that will go. PVP is super fun and takes tons of skill, but in games like WoW from the outside it just seems like you farm npcs and then afk stand still and fight people while pressing keybinds, doesnt even seem like you have to move and you certainly dont have to aim anything with tab targeting.
    Poko.png
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sometime's PvP is about the hunt, yes people can be trolly or greifers but men are hunters and gathers by nature. Fighting lame AI isn't something that really tickles the "hunting" nature of thing but does with a "gathering" side of things. a one sided fight isn't the issue, you are prey and they are hunting you. simple as that
  • VunakVunak Member
    edited June 2019
    As a PvP player. I have a rule. I will kill you twice. Then I will leave you alone. I generally send messages saying thanks for the fight and tell them about my rule. I have made friends with people this way before in the past. Even had a few people jump into my Ventrillo server afterwards to chat and hangout.

That said just because you only see one form of PvP because you are a PvE player doesn't mean that there is not extreme depth to how PvP can evolve. If I was strictly a PvP player and only did PvE to grind levels and never touched an instance/boss encounter would it be fair for me to assume that PvE is all brain dead content with zero skill or mechanical knowledge of the game?

Answer that question and you will have the answer to yours.
  • zinniezinnie Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Try to keep the conversation somewhat civil guys and on-topic.
    Nobody likes bickering.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    zinnie wrote: »
    Try to keep the conversation somewhat civil guys and on-topic.
    Nobody likes bickering.

No one is bickering...

Snark was met with snark and the first snarker couldn't take what they dished out.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I just want to thank everyone in this thread for the entertainment while at work. This has been a slightly informative , but highly amusing thread to read through.

As for my views on PVP, well I would probably fall under the title of "Passive openworld PvP'er" because I generally don't seek out pvp in the open world. On another note though, if you decide to fight me then you better be prepared for a fight. I never go down without a fight, and tend to be at least above average in pvp.