Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

5 Reasons why modern mmorpg are failing

13»

Comments

• Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Somewhat related, my only real fear with Ashes at the moment is how they are going to handle the need for initial servers versus the need for servers three years later. Merging servers will be more complicated due to the dynamic differences between them. I think they covered this, but I have not had time to double check that or read it.

There always seems to be server migrations as games begin to fail or lose significant portions of a player base (even if they are still financially doing well). I think mismanaging this likely adds to reasons they fail. In Ashes case, it could be more detrimental.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    What you say has some truth to it, although in the case of SWTOR, there were supposedly quite a few problems with it that has nothing to do with players rushing to max level and finding nothing to do. I never played the game myself but I remember hearing at the time that it had a pretty rough launching week due to the servers not being able to cope with the amount of players trying to log in.

Hasn't other games had that issue? I don't recall having issues when it launched, but it also happened quite a bit of years ago. I do remember an expansion launch, they launched in dec. that had issues, partly also because a raidboss (worldboss), that wasn't in their own instance, but just in an area people would quest/do daily's The lag just caused people to die and not getting credit for it. It somewhat worked it self out, when there wasn't so many people around the area anymore
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    SWTOR launch went well as far as I remember.
    The first raid was buggy as the last boss had falling platforms to get to the last phase. The platforms were supposed to fall a short way and stop so the group could work their way down. Sometimes they would not stop or the would not move.
    A friend of mine is a super social guy. He grouped with another person and tried to level together. Biggest concern he had was the cut scenes for the main story telling. Having to stop and watch them go 2 minutes and stop and watch.
    Was a good way to tell the story but is bad for keeping the community together. Sometimes it felt more like a single player RPG with other people in it.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.