Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Motivate Me - Taverns

Comments

• Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know if sipping ale for an hour should generate exp. I know there are not a lot of good ways to reward rp between players, but I don't know if sitting in a tavern should either.
    I would also be against any exp rewarded for afk activities and don't believe fishing should have an afk option.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    azathoth wrote: »
    I don't know if sipping ale for an hour should generate exp. I know there are not a lot of good ways to reward rp between players, but I don't know if sitting in a tavern should either.
    I would also be against any exp rewarded for afk activities and don't believe fishing should have an afk option.

that should remove exp really unless you drink tea then you get a bonus to every stat
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    Still not sure it's a good idea. I would still be against any gain for nothing. You're right, in that it wouldn't matter what the action was, but i was relating to your post.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    I am not sure if there is an easy solution. I know many table top groups that struggle with rewarding things outside of combat = xp. I understand the desire to be compelled to RP, but I also think that those that want to will. Those that don't won't, or they will because they will feel required to do it for the benefit.

If Ashes had a RP progression that unlocked emotes or item skins for housing, along the lines of the Adventuring and Crafting Progressions they might be able to sway some non-rp's to rp.

I just don't think it's necessary because it will either feel mandatory/forced if it generates any actual benefit. I could be wrong. If IS went the route you suggested it might encourage RP.
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am not sure if there is an easy solution. I know many table top groups that struggle with rewarding things outside of combat = xp. I understand the desire to be compelled to RP, but I also think that those that want to will. Those that don't won't, or they will because they will feel required to do it for the benefit.

If Ashes had a RP progression that unlocked emotes or item skins for housing, along the lines of the Adventuring and Crafting Progressions they might be able to sway some non-rp's to rp.

I just don't think it's necessary because it will either feel mandatory/forced if it generates any actual benefit. I could be wrong. If IS went the route you suggested it might encourage RP.

I think his goal isn't really to encourage RP but to reward it with something.

My response would be to use the rested experience system. Not for logging out in the Tavern, but for running an emote and going AFK. Cap it at 3 hours, every hour of chilling in a tavern equals an hour of double experience.

Unless the server population is locked and such, I see no real reason to limit the amount of time people can AFK and stay in the game to 5 minutes. It's always irritated me tbh. It also reduces the need for things like captchas. Walk into a tavern, order an ale, start drinking and your character automatically just runs the emote for 3 hours. Once the emote ends, you'd have some time to get up and order another if you're RPing before the game auto-logs you out if you do nothing.

I don't see this as easily exploitable, if chugging the ale is the only thing you can do (aside from emotes) it becomes a pretty boring way to build up an experience boost without talking to people. And since it's just spending 3 hours to earn 3 hours of double experience, you can likely earn far more experience by just questing/grinding/being active for 6 hours instead.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would rather earn xp learning about fishing and blacksmithing while fishing at a pond or watching a blacksmith craft than gain that xp in a tavern. Also, seems like I should be able to learn combat from listening to people talk about the mobs they killed - if we're going to get crafting xp just by listening to people talk about crafting.

Seems easy enough to me to RP everywhere. Especially when we will have plenty of in-game stories and events and news to gossip about.
    Taverns will have food and drink with buffs. They will have parlor games. And they will have bulletin boards with quests and tasks.

I hope that xp cap is supposed to be 3 hours per week. Because 3 hours of double xp per day sounds like the easiest and quickest way to hit max level... and without any risks for the reward.
  • Options
    dygz wrote: »
    I would rather earn xp learning about fishing and blacksmithing while fishing at a pond or watching a blacksmith craft than gain that xp in a tavern. Also, seems like I should be able to learn combat from listening to people talk about the mobs they killed - if we're going to get crafting xp just by listening to people talk about crafting.

Seems easy enough to me to RP everywhere. Especially when we will have plenty of in-game stories and events and news to gossip about.
    Taverns will have food and drink with buffs. They will have parlor games. And they will have bulletin boards with quests and tasks.

I hope that xp cap is supposed to be 3 hours per week. Because 3 hours of double xp per day sounds like the easiest and quickest way to hit max level... and without any risks for the reward.

3 hours at a time, and like I said if you spend 3 hours of time doing nothing to earn 3 hours of double experience, you are essentially burning 6 hours of time to earn 6 hours of experience. Chances are, 6 hours of uninterrupted questing/grinding will easily net you far more experience than 3 hours of building the buff followed by 3 hours of questing/grinding.

Meaning you drink ale, and as long as you drink the ale, that's how long your double experience buff lasts. The buff doesn't stack with itself, so you could never gain more then 3 hours at a time, but as for daily? No there's no reason to put daily/weekly limits on it. It literally nets you nothing you wouldn't be capable of getting with the same amount of time spent on a more focused task.
  • Options
    There is a reason to put daily limits on such a feature. It gains me way more xp for basically doing nothing than it does for people who can only play 6-8 hours per week.

Also, again, better to have other ways to gain passive xp - like visiting smiths and farms - than just hanging out in taverns drinking. There's no reason for taverns to be so OP.
  • Options
    Double-xp from drinking in a tavern will not encourage RP. People who don't already RP will just sit and drink to reap the rewards - no different than speed-running dungeons.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Double-xp from drinking in a tavern will not encourage RP. People who don't already RP will just sit and drink to reap the rewards - no different than speed-running dungeons.

So, 3 hours of butt sitting, 3 hours of gameplay gets you 6 hours of experience and 3 hours of rewards from gameplay (loot, quest rewards, story progressions, etc.)

Compared to... 6 hours of gameplay getting you 6 hours of experience and 6 hours of rewards from gameplay.

There is no benefit to taking this, what you refer to as, "OP reason to /tavern!"... It actually results in a net loss over time. Your argument is illogical.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    For one thing, 3 hours of butt-sitting + 3 hours of gameplay should not get you 6 hours of xp.
    The notion that 3 hours of butt-sitting gets you 3 hours of xp is what's illogical.

But, even granting that much as an acceptable feature, it should not only be a reward for drinking in a tavern... we should also be able to accomplish the same thing while socializing and roleplaying in other types of freeholds besides just taverns.
  • Options
    For one thing, 3 hours of butt-sitting + 3 hours of gameplay should not get you 6 hours of xp.
    The notion that 3 hours of butt-sitting gets you 3 hours of xp is what's illogical.

But, even granting that much as an acceptable feature, it should not only be a reward for drinking in a tavern... we should also be able to accomplish the same thing while socializing and roleplaying in other types of freeholds besides just taverns.

3 hours of butt sitting + 3 hours of gameplay = 6 hours of playing the game. 6 hours of enjoying the game and the company within the game. 6 hours of playing a subscription based game that people literally pay for on a monthly basis to play.

It does not grant an advantage, it only allows players to keep some semblance of pace with non-RPers while still enjoying the game and actually creating their own content to consume.

It's not a reward, that's the part you seem to be getting wrong repeatedly. It's basically just an exchange. And yes, absolutely, the only limitations to this system should be that you can't engage in activity such as combat/crafting while "drinking ale" or roleplaying.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    the only limitations to this system should be that you can't engage in activity such as combat/crafting while "drinking ale" or roleplaying.
    What do you have against drunken combat?

k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    arzosah wrote: »
    the only limitations to this system should be that you can't engage in activity such as combat/crafting while "drinking ale" or roleplaying.

isn't all dwarven combat drunk combat?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    arzosah wrote: »

I vote for this suggestion to go forth, with the caveat that cost fighting is allowed, with a betting system
  • Options
    You shouldn't be able to get xp from any afk activity. That is my point.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    3 hours of butt sitting + 3 hours of gameplay = 6 hours of playing the game. 6 hours of enjoying the game and the company within the game. 6 hours of playing a subscription based game that people literally pay for on a monthly basis to play.

It does not grant an advantage, it only allows players to keep some semblance of pace with non-RPers while still enjoying the game and actually creating their own content to consume.

It's not a reward, that's the part you seem to be getting wrong repeatedly. It's basically just an exchange. And yes, absolutely, the only limitations to this system should be that you can't engage in activity such as combat/crafting while "drinking ale" or roleplaying.

Butt-sitting is "playing the game", but not in a manner that earns xp. Especially not Adventurer xp.
    Adventurer xp is a reward that characters receive for doing Adventurer stuff and surviving risks. Adventurer stuff does not include just drinking while butt-sitting for 3 hours.
    Crafting xp is a reward for doing Crafting stuff. Crafting stuff does not include just drinking while butt-sitting for 3 hours.
    In RPGs, characters don't earn xp for just drinking while butt-sitting in a tavern for 3 hours.
    That's the part you seem to be getting wrong, repeatedly.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @Heteroclite
    Um. I barely even know who are well enough to form any opinion about you. And disagreement doesn't cause me to dislike people. I know of no reason why I would dislike you.
    I first replied to this thread because I don't understand @wanderingmist 's concept of an "RP tavern" - as opposed to any other kind of tavern or why RP would primarily be occurring in taverns as opposed to other freeholds or social areas, like temples, thieves guilds and scholars academies.
    The posts I didn't read in this thread were yours. I was not even aware you were posting in this thread.
    Also, the thread topic was answered to the satisfaction of the original poster before I first posted here.

I don't know of anyone opposed to emoting with a mug of ale. I doubt people are going to earn 3 hours of Adventurer xp from emoting with a mug of ale.
    Parlor games is one incentive the devs are implementing to motivate people to hang out in taverns.
    Bulletin boards with quests and tasks is another incentive the devs are implementing to motivate people to hang out in taverns.
    Food and drink with buffs is another incentive the devs are implementing to motivate people to hang out in taverns.
    Battle maps that provide bonuses to siege combat is another incentive the devs are implementing to motivate people to hang out in taverns.

I would not be surprised to see some form rested xp from taverns, but it's more likely to cap at a specific amount of xp that is not measured in hours. And it's especially not going to be 3 hours per day. The cap would most likely be some % of total xp to next level.
  • Options
    add tabletop game.

that is all
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Yes. I think the devs are including tabletop as an option under parlour games.
  • Options
    I would be okay with tavern games, or games where ever they may be, granting xp. Just not sitting and doing nothing with your character. Emoting should not grant xp. Playing games with others, imo, should.
  • Options
    I created this thread but I have no idea what's going on anymore... Welp.
    Forgive and you will free yourself. Peace be with you all.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes. I think the devs are including tabletop as an option under parlour games.

Add "flip table" option please
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

Welcome to the forums ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    nagash wrote: »

Welcome to the forums ^^

Thank you for the warming welcome! 😁
    Forgive and you will free yourself. Peace be with you all.
  • Options
    Gambling/mini games using actual in game money. Poker, black jack, arm wrestling, dice, roulette, darts. Newly created games that would fit well with the world. I would love this.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JoePenz wrote: »
    Gambling/mini games using actual in game money. Poker, black jack, arm wrestling, dice, roulette, darts. Newly created games that would fit well with the world. I would love this.

Given the current state of affairs in the gaming industry, this is probably the least appropriate thing they could put into Ashes.
    volunteer_moderator.gif