Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Motivate Me - Taverns

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In-game money might be OK. Probably fine as long as people are not gambling rl money.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    dygz wrote: »
    In-game money might be OK. Probably fine as long as people are not gambling rl money.

That would make the game rated M so I doubt it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I don't think that is correct:

"TEEN
    Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

"ADULTS ONLY
    Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up. May include prolonged scenes of intense violence, graphic sexual content and/or gambling with real currency."
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In the EU it would be higher but I have no idea about the US
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    JoePenz wrote: »
    Gambling/mini games using actual in game money. Poker, black jack, arm wrestling, dice, roulette, darts. Newly created games that would fit well with the world. I would love this.

Poker no, black jack no, arm wrestling maybe, dice (need more specifity), roulette no, darts maybe. Most of these will have a bad influence for our younger audience and I have the feeling Steve wouldn't want to take that risk so... Maybe a nice dice game AoC style.
    Forgive and you will free yourself. Peace be with you all.
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    3 hours of butt sitting + 3 hours of gameplay = 6 hours of playing the game. 6 hours of enjoying the game and the company within the game. 6 hours of playing a subscription based game that people literally pay for on a monthly basis to play.

It does not grant an advantage, it only allows players to keep some semblance of pace with non-RPers while still enjoying the game and actually creating their own content to consume.

It's not a reward, that's the part you seem to be getting wrong repeatedly. It's basically just an exchange. And yes, absolutely, the only limitations to this system should be that you can't engage in activity such as combat/crafting while "drinking ale" or roleplaying.

Butt-sitting is "playing the game", but not in a manner that earns xp.

Gonna stop you there. My point is that this does not have to be the case, the DEV team can decide that any player in the game is playing the game, even if they RP. The system in question is irrelevant, as long as it does not grant a "serious advantage".

Yes going "AFK" in a tavern for 3 hours to rack up that exp boost is a minor advantage, however it does not grant a superior or even equal advantage to actual adventuring. It grants a period during which a player can earn double experience for actively doing things AFTER their time in a tavern.

Using real world logic is also going to be a self defeating statement. Even a loner drinking ale in a tavern/pub can listen to conversations and stories from others around them and learn random things without direct experience. And remember, this is not a system that grants experience, this is a system that raises the rate experience is gained (crafting OR fighting), which fits this real world logic perfectly. You'll learn a bit faster by hearing instructions/stories and following up with first hand experience, the game mechanic simply breaks that down into numerical gains.

I won't expect you to understand ANY of this, as you don't seem to understand the very basics of game development, let alone specifics such as "carrot vs stick" rewards.
  • Options
    SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    3 hours of butt sitting + 3 hours of gameplay = 6 hours of playing the game. 6 hours of enjoying the game and the company within the game. 6 hours of playing a subscription based game that people literally pay for on a monthly basis to play.

It does not grant an advantage, it only allows players to keep some semblance of pace with non-RPers while still enjoying the game and actually creating their own content to consume.

It's not a reward, that's the part you seem to be getting wrong repeatedly. It's basically just an exchange. And yes, absolutely, the only limitations to this system should be that you can't engage in activity such as combat/crafting while "drinking ale" or roleplaying.

Gonna stop you there. My point is that this does not have to be the case, the DEV team can decide that any player in the game is playing the game, even if they RP. The system in question is irrelevant, as long as it does not grant a "serious advantage".

Yes going "AFK" in a tavern for 3 hours to rack up that exp boost is a minor advantage, however it does not grant a superior or even equal advantage to actual adventuring. It grants a period during which a player can earn double experience for actively doing things AFTER their time in a tavern.

Using real world logic is also going to be a self defeating statement. Even a loner drinking ale in a tavern/pub can listen to conversations and stories from others around them and learn random things without direct experience. And remember, this is not a system that grants experience, this is a system that raises the rate experience is gained (crafting OR fighting), which fits this real world logic perfectly. You'll learn a bit faster by hearing instructions/stories and following up with first hand experience, the game mechanic simply breaks that down into numerical gains.

I won't expect you to understand ANY of this, as you don't seem to understand the very basics of game development, let alone specifics such as "carrot vs stick" rewards.

It's strange how you believe that 6 hours of actually playing the game should equal 3 hours of playing + 3 hours afk.

I do agree that there should be something beneficial about staying in a tavern (other than playing games and getting money). If you win a game, you get an XP boost - DMG buff - ..

Staying afk shouldn't give you such a massive advantage because why the hell would people play 6 hours then... Don't start with the 'you get 3 hours more of rewards from actually playing' because that's not worth it in any game I know.

The way you describe it you'll get a game with full servers but a half-empty world.
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Gonna stop you right there.
    It is up to the dev team. And the dev team ain't gonna do it. Highly unlikely that any dev team would.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would prefer no AFK activity. If you're not playing, go do something else..?
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin