Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So What Will Be The Point Of Open World PvP?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    @creighton I fully understand your concerns, and yes there WILL be people who abuse the system. But then again, no system is perfect and there will always be people who abuse it. In terms of accidentally gaining corruption, I think a lot of it will depend on how strict the system is. For example, if you attack another player once and then leave, then 30 seconds later that player dies to a monster, will that still count as you having "killed" the player?

No, it's been stated that corruption only accumulates when the final blow is caused by the attacking player. You actually have to be credited with the kill to gain the corruption, which opens up another potential abuse. Players can grief by assisting monsters in defeating players. They might not get any potential reward from the kill, but if the goal is to get rid of a pesky person who's just playing the game and mining resources, it works.

Ah ok. Yes the planned system is exploitable but it's also risky, since as soon as you attack another player you become a combatant and can be attacked by anyone else with no consequences.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If I choose not to fight back so someone gains corruption because "muh resources" I'm okay with that. I was there first. Go somewhere else or wait til I'm done.

System gamed! Enjoy PvP buddies!

Nah, in all seriousness I look forward to seeing how this plays out for real. I rather fight back and keep more respurces and get better than just wait to be 'off-ed' anyways.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    CreightonCreighton Member
    edited July 2019
    I
    azathoth wrote: »
    If I choose not to fight back so someone gains corruption because "muh resources" I'm okay with that. I was there first. Go somewhere else or wait til I'm done.

System gamed! Enjoy PvP buddies!

Nah, in all seriousness I look forward to seeing how this plays out for real. I rather fight back and keep more respurces and get better than just wait to be 'off-ed' anyways.

I mean if you want to know how this will work out there's no need to wait. Look at Albion online and their red zones. Please quote me. When the game releases, if it maintains the system that has been mentioned by others, then it will be gamed exactly like it was in Albion. It's an objectively bad system that should be improved upon. I'll hold my judgements for the alpha because right now it's basically just random speculation.

This system will punish open world unstructured PvP.
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have to say I do have my reservations about the system but will hold my judgement until i see it in practice. I can understand a deterrent for newbies and lowbies not to be attacked randomly, but it should not be at the expense of those that enjoy to PVP for a reason. If I am gathering a rare resource i would rather the opportunity to defend myself or at least cc the attacker so i can GTFO.

My current thoughts are it will need a more granular approach where certain areas the corruption cost is higher compared to others where it is lower. Giving the risk versus reward aspect. The best comparison i can think to this is the security system in EVE Online, but Ashes works in a different way much more dynamic so hard to see how this will work.

Roll on Alpha 1 so we can start testing these systems :grin:
  • Options
    LexLex Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    neomir wrote: »
    I have to say I do have my reservations about the system but will hold my judgement until i see it in practice. I can understand a deterrent for newbies and lowbies not to be attacked randomly, but it should not be at the expense of those that enjoy to PVP for a reason. If I am gathering a rare resource i would rather the opportunity to defend myself or at least cc the attacker so i can GTFO.

My current thoughts are it will need a more granular approach where certain areas the corruption cost is higher compared to others where it is lower. Giving the risk versus reward aspect. The best comparison i can think to this is the security system in EVE Online, but Ashes works in a different way much more dynamic so hard to see how this will work.

Yep, exactly what the testing phases are for. Science!!
    fe85sq6n7wyu.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    lexmax wrote: »

For Science!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    nagash wrote: »
    lexmax wrote: »

For Science!

whcjnTd.gif
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    research-you-keep-using-that-word.jpg
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Killing random non-pvp flagged players will probably be non profitable. But I assume killing other pvp flagged players in the open world will have some kind of point reward system other than them dropping specific loot.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    That has not been mentioned to my knowledge. But sounds like a good option to me. For leader boards though, not any additional in game benefits.

Attacking* non-PvP flagged players, and killing them, actually rewards more resources than if they flagged up. This is to encourage fighting back though, it is balanced with corruption.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin