Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A Guild Leader's Compact on Evasion

skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
It is apparent in AOC Wiki, that in-game evasion is sanctioned for intrigue. That is to say, creating a character to spy, sabotage, or coerce rival guilds as a covert member. It stands to reason; guilds will have countermeasures to thwart such attempts. To that end, I am proposing a compact of those guilds that will not engage in or tolerate such behavior. Hence, there might be a group of guilds that adopt a compact, publish such, and are honorably renowned not engage in these practices. Here is the wording my guild has adopted on the Exchange web page:

‘A note on our evasion policy.  The association does not believe in or tolerate evasive behavior.  Our associates are not allowed membership with other accounts for purposes of spying, sabotage & coercion in other guilds.  Likewise, we do not tolerate those with allegiance to other guilds infiltrating our own.  Members in violation will be 'kicked' from the association given veracity.  Hence, the guild will be known on the server as an agnostic and neutral group that can be trusted in this regard.’ 

Please post ideas for your evasion / spying countermeasures here. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I spy with my hollow eyes lots of guilds who will complain
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    spying is part of the game o.O
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    I will sign the pact to get the initial suspicions off me. Since, I assume, not signing the pact will make some automatically assume you want to engage in espionage.

Then, since there is no in game built in mechanics to prevent or punish such behavior, I will turn spy.

If such a treatise existed, it would be more advantageous to sign it for spy oriented guilds. It would also increase the role play suspense of being caught, since the punishment would be the guild being removed from the pact.

Imo, having some guilds with this treaty will encourage more espionage than what is* already likely planned.

I am in, I like* the idea.

*Phone edits
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, i plan to head a pure PvE/Crafting guild.... So.... I dont have much to be spied upon....
    I will most likely be one of those people that know all of your troop movements, just through the presence of guild merchants and artisans....
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Well, i plan to head a pure PvE/Crafting guild.... So.... I dont have much to be spied upon....
    I will most likely be one of those people that know all of your troop movements, just through the presence of guild merchants and artisans....

Knowledge is power, guard it well
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thank God Skrumdiddlyuptious, I thought you left us for good
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    Thank God Skrumdiddlyuptious, I thought you left us for good

that made me laugh so loud that I woke up my dog
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    that policy doesnt mean anything.. you will find out when you lead a guild ingame.. its rly simple; just dont talk about important stuff to anyone other then the people that should know about it. and make sure they dont talk about it in guild chat. and once someone infiltrated so much that he/she gained your trust to loot the guild bank; the person passed alot of red flags alrdy. you can notice from alot of small details someone is trying to be a fake main from the moments they log on to who they talk to etc...they apply over-enthusiastic and socialize only with certain ppl. aint nobody going to live a double life for months and become a good friend just to loot some coins xD
    now when it comes to spying information from a guild website/forum/event calender/pre-battle strategy's you cant stop that lol. a good application helps but just consider that info public :#
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This kind of seems like the "if you're a cop, you have to tell me" thing.

No guild - whether they intend on engaging in this sort of thing or not - will sign something like this unless they believe they will gain from it.

Thing is, guilds that don't intend on engaging in this sort of thing stand to lose from signing it - as they are basically advertising that they likely don't have much in the way of countermeasures in place (countermeasures being a subset of this type of action).

However, guilds that have every intention of engaging in this sort of thing stand to gain from it - no spy would ever state that they are a spy, and would always take reasonably measures to state that they are not.

So, you're left with a situation where you don't know if a guild signs something like this because they won't engage in this kind of thing, or because they will engage in it and consider signing something like this as being a part of engaging in that activity itself. And then you have guilds that don't sign on to something like this because they do intend in engaging in this kind of activity, guilds that don't sign this because they don't intend to participate in this kind of activity and don't want to advertise this fact to other guilds, guilds that don't want to acknowledge the existence of any kind of spy network and so won't sign either way, and then guilds that are unaware of the existence of this kind of thing and so can't sign it.

So basically, if you have a list of guilds that have signed this, you then have to ask yourself, did the guilds that sign it do so because they are genuine or because they are engaging in subterfuge, and did the guilds that didn't sign it not sign it because they are engaging in subterfuge but are genuine, because they don't want to advertise their status as an easy subterfuge target, because they don't want to bring attention to their subterfuge activities or because they are unaware of the whole thing?

So basically, while I applaud the sentiment, the practicality of it is less than worthless.
  • Options
    I want to sign the compact of spying and subterfuge. It sounds much more entertaining
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I want to sign the compact of spying and subterfuge. It sounds much more entertaining
    Make sure you sign with a fake name.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Make sure you sign with a fake name.

If every signature isn’t edgy to the max then the compact automatically fails
  • Options
    Thoth, Azathoth. 001.
    Consider me the first signature
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    All I read was let's impede on someone's choice of playstyle, which to me is a hard pass.
  • Options
    In the same vein as above - I didn't note any countermeasure ideas, either common practice or monitoring algorithm / bots. I would suppose posting such things here is intelligence itself and might provide insight into defeating said countermeasures. The discussion, though lighthearted here, seems tedious and boring. Do I have to add a unicorn pic - really.?. Please post ideas for your evasion / spying countermeasures below. Cheers!

kill everyone?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited September 2019
    Nagash wrote: »
    In the same vein as above - I didn't note any countermeasure ideas, either common practice or monitoring algorithm / bots. I would suppose posting such things here is intelligence itself and might provide insight into defeating said countermeasures. The discussion, though lighthearted here, seems tedious and boring. Do I have to add a unicorn pic - really.?. Please post ideas for your evasion / spying countermeasures below. Cheers!

kill everyone?

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

Your guild can’t be spied on if you have no guild
  • Options

kill everyone?

indeed
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

kill everyone?

Big brain Boy right here. ;D

Guild, what do you mean guild? I just have a website, where specially recruited individuals with common goals and interests log in to "share" some.... "common knowledge"!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2019

A solid vetting process that allows my guild to grow strong with fewer, more trusted allies.

A "work your way to the top" initiative that requires players to put time in with individual characters (as opposed to totally time from alts) *directly tied to the level of leadership they can apply for.*

*Edit: odd wording

Similarly this should also apply to things that require votes, but maybe allow alt time to count. As in, if you have only been in the guild for a month and have wracked up 3 hours with 3 alts, you can't vote. However, somewhere around 20 hours with a handful of alts allows you to vote.

A mission statement, solid but with a 'high view' aspect to the non-leaders. Meaning less detail before arrival at the start of the location. If you are a guild member, and you want to raid, you should trust your raid leader enough to not need the finer details of the assault before arriving at the raid spot. The raid leader should be experienced enough to indicate anything needed prior to leaving.

A raid roster, where if you sign up for a raid and bail one too many times you can be suspended/kicked/ignored by the group. Don't make plans you don't intend to keep. Something comes up, I get that, but that shouldn't be a common thing.

Treasurer/Master-Accountant/Whomever you give access to the guild loot to, would be a former leader. Not raid leader, but appointed/elected member that served their full term.

Most importantly, and I can't stress this enough, not allow new members to run for office in some sort of democratic style voting structure.

Unless you wanted stuff like:
    -Secret Handshakes
    -Passwords
    -Day Color Codes (if you're not a spy you would be wearing Blue, it's Wednesday)

Do you need help with other aspects of your guild?
    I'll help build it, why not, I don't and would never engage is subterfuge.
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Now I want to make a shadow guild.

Doesn't exist in the game. At all. Instead, it's purely Discord based. Members join other guilds, play the game, deliver juicy intel to me, and I sell it. For Money.

I will be the Shadowbroker!

Honestly, in espionage, this little compact of yours is just a collection of incredibly vulnerable guilds. The best countermeasure to spy networks is to have a spy network that weeds it's way into the spy networks of other guilds. Knowing who has what spies and in what guilds gives you tremendous power. Or simply having a spy network that can inform you of whether or not opposing guilds are informed of your movements.

For example, if you know who in your own guild is a spy (because one of your spies told you), you can feed false information to that spy. If your own spy is high enough in the target guild to get that information, your spy could feed the guild false information about every guild while you get access to their ENTIRE network of information.
  • Options
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    Now I want to make a shadow guild.

Doesn't exist in the game. At all. Instead, it's purely Discord based. Members join other guilds, play the game, deliver juicy intel to me, and I sell it. For Money.

I will be the Shadowbroker!

Honestly, in espionage, this little compact of yours is just a collection of incredibly vulnerable guilds. The best countermeasure to spy networks is to have a spy network that weeds it's way into the spy networks of other guilds. Knowing who has what spies and in what guilds gives you tremendous power. Or simply having a spy network that can inform you of whether or not opposing guilds are informed of your movements.

For example, if you know who in your own guild is a spy (because one of your spies told you), you can feed false information to that spy. If your own spy is high enough in the target guild to get that information, your spy could feed the guild false information about every guild while you get access to their ENTIRE network of information.

you have to call it the alpha legion
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    What counter measures are you looking for?
    I feel like mine were legit :disappointed:
  • Options
    Regarding Counter-measures. You could go with the "Honeypot" approach. Have a subset of information that is made known to all guild members that leads to an ambush of any none-guild member that follows-up on the lead. This provides three benefits
    1) The Honeypot knows it has been compromised.
    2) The real guild knows is following up on their rumours and can then formulate an appropriate response.
    3) Spying guilds no longer know which rumours to trust.
  • Options
    XombieXombie Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Imagine having concerns about your counter intelligence capabilities :trollface:

Thankfully you don’t need to worry about anyone spying on you @skafftaruss, talk about a waste of time.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This reminds me the time I was a wee lad in my second year away at school. I had decided I was hungry, and a very thorough search of our refrigerator compartment uncovered no food to be had in short order.

Yet, in the freezer there contained a bag of microwavable bean and cheese burritos. With great haste I ripped into the package and placed two frozen Mexican treats onto a paper towel. I to the microwave oven then went, and I punched in the "burrito" setting. With 3 minutes to kill, I searched for entertainment, as once I quenched my rumbles in my tumbles from hunger, I was bound to need an activity.

I spied stop the TV, a brand new DvD of Grandma's Boy. Removing disc for Killzone out of my Play Station 2, I inserted the the DVD, just as the beeping signaled my feast was ready for consumption. Taking both burritos onto the frisbee I used as a plate, I parked my sweatpants adorned ass on the couch, making sure the cinder block that was acting as one of the couch legs was in place.

I hit the button to play the DVD and began my meal. Hoisting the first burrito to my mouth, I naively was unaware of the sneaky tortilla-wrapped devil had engaged countermeasures. For as I bit into the burrito, a torrent of lava-hot bean and cheese slurry spilled onto my tongue, rendering it a burned out hunk of flesh, singing the taste buds right off.

In white hot pain, I struggled to my feet, and fell to my knees, upsetting the cinder block couch leg, and knocking over a pyramid of beer cans on the floor. The trap had been sprung, and I had walked right into it.

That day, El Monterey won, and my mouth was left unable to taste anything for several hours. Countermeasures for the win.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Karthos wrote: »
    This reminds me the time I was a wee lad in my second year away at school. I had decided I was hungry, and a very thorough search of our refrigerator compartment uncovered no food to be had in short order.

Yet, in the freezer there contained a bag of microwavable bean and cheese burritos. With great haste I ripped into the package and placed two frozen Mexican treats onto a paper towel. I to the microwave oven then went, and I punched in the "burrito" setting. With 3 minutes to kill, I searched for entertainment, as once I quenched my rumbles in my tumbles from hunger, I was bound to need an activity.

I spied stop the TV, a brand new DvD of Grandma's Boy. Removing disc for Killzone out of my Play Station 2, I inserted the the DVD, just as the beeping signaled my feast was ready for consumption. Taking both burritos onto the frisbee I used as a plate, I parked my sweatpants adorned ass on the couch, making sure the cinder block that was acting as one of the couch legs was in place.

I hit the button to play the DVD and began my meal. Hoisting the first burrito to my mouth, I naively was unaware of the sneaky tortilla-wrapped devil had engaged countermeasures. For as I bit into the burrito, a torrent of lava-hot bean and cheese slurry spilled onto my tongue, rendering it a burned out hunk of flesh, singing the taste buds right off.

In white hot pain, I struggled to my feet, and fell to my knees, upsetting the cinder block couch leg, and knocking over a pyramid of beer cans on the floor. The trap had been sprung, and I had walked right into it.

That day, El Monterey won, and my mouth was left unable to taste anything for several hours. Countermeasures for the win.

No one survived, I assume?