Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our ongoing Alpha One testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

So when when will we see world map?

I'm very interested in how the world map looks like and how large it will be, any info about this?
«1

Comments

  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    There has been many topics on this in the threads. The search engine works now, i think. There is also plenty of info on this in the various Wikis.

    Overall, the world is big... I think somewhere around 4x Skyrim (but I forget now).

    There are many biomes planned too. And the undeground regions are, so i have heard somewhere I think, almost the size of the above ground area.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • RageskylarRageskylar Member, Founder
    Azathoth wrote: »
    There has been many topics on this in the threads. The search engine works now, i think. There is also plenty of info on this in the various Wikis.

    Overall, the world is big... I think somewhere around 4x Skyrim (but I forget now).

    There are many biomes planned too. And the undeground regions are, so i have heard somewhere I think, almost the size of the above ground area.

    That's too small since Skyrim is like 16 sq miles and the devs have said they are aiming for 470+ sq km for the map size, who knows it might be even bigger!
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    You won't see the entire world map until Beta 1 at the earliest

    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    We will see the world map when the game launches. Even the Alphas and Betas are on a different map (1/4 the size of the full map).
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder
    Ask in the livestream
    fNX2ISa.png


  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    We should all ask so maybe get a sneak peek at it.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    We will see the world map when the game launches. Even the Alphas and Betas are on a different map (1/4 the size of the full map).

    Alpha is
    Beta will be the full map
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • 1/81 of GW Nightfall
    But still 2.25 size of Wow
  • When did they say that beta will be the full map? There is no mention of that on the Wiki. You would think that they would keep the full MMO map for launch and surprise everyone.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Yeah. Keep in mind that the wiki does not have everything.

    https://ashespost.com/3-07-19-discord-qna/
    Q: What % of the map will we have in the alpha and beta
    A: For Alpha 1, 25% of the map. Moving forward it depends on the milestones we achieve. Our objective is 50% of the map in Alpha 2 and 100% by Beta. However this is a projection.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2019
    Gimlog wrote: »
    1/81 of GW Nightfall
    But still 2.25 size of Wow

    It is crazy how big some of the GW1 maps were back in the day. XD
    KkvMmA5.png
  • Gimlog wrote: »
    1/81 of GW Nightfall
    But still 2.25 size of Wow

    If it's really 2.25 size of WoW, that's exciting...
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I would not expect them to deviate from the 25% target for alpha 1. Intrepids desire is to keep as much hidden from us as long as possible and not having full map to explore until Beta will give we industrious players less time to explore and uncover its secrets.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Glanos wrote: »
    Gimlog wrote: »
    1/81 of GW Nightfall
    But still 2.25 size of Wow

    If it's really 2.25 size of WoW, that's exciting...

    Not really.

    Vanilla WoW wasn't that big of a world for an MMORPG. It's big in comparison to its contemporary single player RPG's, but MMO's from the same time were significantly bigger.
  • noaani wrote: »
    Glanos wrote: »
    Gimlog wrote: »
    1/81 of GW Nightfall
    But still 2.25 size of Wow

    If it's really 2.25 size of WoW, that's exciting...

    Not really.

    Vanilla WoW wasn't that big of a world for an MMORPG. It's big in comparison to its contemporary single player RPG's, but MMO's from the same time were significantly bigger.

    To me, that strikes a good balance between a larger world while not so large that you never see any other players...
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Glanos wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    Glanos wrote: »
    Gimlog wrote: »
    1/81 of GW Nightfall
    But still 2.25 size of Wow

    If it's really 2.25 size of WoW, that's exciting...

    Not really.

    Vanilla WoW wasn't that big of a world for an MMORPG. It's big in comparison to its contemporary single player RPG's, but MMO's from the same time were significantly bigger.

    To me, that strikes a good balance between a larger world while not so large that you never see any other players...
    The reason you don't see players in some other MMO's is not due to world size, it is due to instancing.
  • Personally I'm ok with the size Verra will have for now.
    But I hope there will be some up date later
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Also take into consideration the graphics of AoC. ((Probably the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date)). This is a concern - I have brought this up to Intrepid before - but did not get a definitive answer. How can you have a large world when the graphics are THAT detailed? Not to mention cram a billion players into one server? "Houston. We have a problem."
    You’re only rendering the visible distance at any given moment. If you can see 100 yards then it doesn’t matter if you’re in a room that’s 200 yards wide, or an island 20 miles wide. It’s loading the same thing. Graphics and world size have no relation.
    U752vHP.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Also take into consideration the graphics of AoC. ((Probably the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date)). This is a concern - I have brought this up to Intrepid before - but did not get a definitive answer. How can you have a large world when the graphics are THAT detailed? Not to mention cram a billion players into one server? "Houston. We have a problem."

    You must have not played many games if you think ashes is "the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date"
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Also take into consideration the graphics of AoC. ((Probably the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date)). This is a concern - I have brought this up to Intrepid before - but did not get a definitive answer. How can you have a large world when the graphics are THAT detailed? Not to mention cram a billion players into one server? "Houston. We have a problem."

    You must have not played many games if you think ashes is "the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date"

    Well the last game I played was Neverwinter Nights 2 in 2008. Then I took a hiatus until 2019. So...aside from Pantheon, CoE, Camelot Unchained, AoC, and the typical Korean MMO, what else is there?

    Have you ever seen Crysis 2 or 3 on max settings?
    KkvMmA5.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Also take into consideration the graphics of AoC. ((Probably the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date)). This is a concern - I have brought this up to Intrepid before - but did not get a definitive answer. How can you have a large world when the graphics are THAT detailed? Not to mention cram a billion players into one server? "Houston. We have a problem."

    You must have not played many games if you think ashes is "the most beautiful and detailed graphics of any computer game to date"

    Well the last game I played was Neverwinter Nights 2 in 2008. Then I took a hiatus until 2019. So...aside from Pantheon, CoE, Camelot Unchained, AoC, and the typical Korean MMO, what else is there?

    The most beautiful game I’ve ever played was Assassin’s Creed Odyssey in 4K. It’s the only game I’ve ever played where every now and then I literally have to stop playing and gaze at the scenery. It is breathtakingly gorgeous.
    U752vHP.png
  • skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Alpha One
    edited January 2020
    The question on the newly released map is 1) is that the current MMO map in total at launch, and 2) what is the scale of each square (or the whole map - doesn't matter) for the 34 horizontal cubes and 24 vertical cubes. Metric or imperial units - we can convert. One can estimate that an average VR PC is the size of an average RL person, right? Inquiring minds want to know. Again - just a swag - nothing in stone. An approximation. An estimation. Cheers!
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    You might want to check the wiki. Or Discord. Or the forum.
    Steven has already stated that the original Apoc map was equal to 4.5 squares on this map (we assume that the new map is about the same area as 1 square).
    And this map is the entire world (at launch. This map has the 480 square kilometres of area that have been stated for the game).
  • what is the scale of each square (or the whole map - doesn't matter) for the 34 horizontal cubes and 24 vertical cubes. Metric or imperial units - we can convert.

    I think...each square would be ~0.588 km² - then length of the side of each square being ~0.767 km.

  • nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ravudha wrote: »
    what is the scale of each square (or the whole map - doesn't matter) for the 34 horizontal cubes and 24 vertical cubes. Metric or imperial units - we can convert.

    I think...each square would be ~0.588 km² - then length of the side of each square being ~0.767 km.

    I thought that the original BR map was around 6.25km² which would make each square 1.39km². There looks to be around 340-380 squares of land on the map. Hard to tell with all the partial boxes. At 345 squares of land it equals the 480km². To me this means that the water is not included in that estimation.
  • nibiru97 wrote: »
    Ravudha wrote: »
    what is the scale of each square (or the whole map - doesn't matter) for the 34 horizontal cubes and 24 vertical cubes. Metric or imperial units - we can convert.

    I think...each square would be ~0.588 km² - then length of the side of each square being ~0.767 km.

    I thought that the original BR map was around 6.25km² which would make each square 1.39km². There looks to be around 340-380 squares of land on the map. Hard to tell with all the partial boxes. At 345 squares of land it equals the 480km². To me this means that the water is not included in that estimation.

    Ah ok, yeah just looking at land mass will be different. Steven mentioned the 480 km² estimate is for the playable area (excluding underground), so I assume that includes land and water and calculated square area/distance based off the 34 x 24 grid.

    I don't know which estimation given at different times is more accurate to calculate from: the world map (total playable area) estimate or the BR estimate.
Sign In or Register to comment.