Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How important are epic songs in games?

2»

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    I still think the best song from any game is Baba Yetu.
    The Grammy Award voters agreed with you.

is it still the only game that won a grammy?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

So far. The year after Baba Yetu won, the Grammy Awards changed the criteria of the “Visual Media” category to include “Motion, Television, Video Game Music, or Other Visual Media”. That year (2012) the soundtrack for Journey was nominated for “Best Score Soundtrack“ in that category (but didn’t win). But no other game music has actually won it yet.

Hhak63P.png
    Nagash wrote: »

So far. The year after Baba Yetu won, the Grammy Awards changed the criteria of the “Visual Media” category to include “Motion, Television, Video Game Music, or Other Visual Media”. That year (2012) the soundtrack for Journey was nominated for “Best Score Soundtrack“ in that category (but didn’t win). But no other game music has actually won it yet.

That is one help of an achievement but very well deserved
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Now I am interested, what is this song which has won a grammy? Link maybe? ;-)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
    ferryman wrote: »
    Now I am interested, what is this song which has won a grammy? Link maybe? ;-)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

Hhak63P.png
    Now I want to replay civ 4
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Well it is good, but I am not sure if it is grammy good. Anyway, reminds me a little bit of Lion King I guess..
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
    ferryman wrote: »
    Well it is good, but I am not sure if it is grammy good. Anyway, reminds me a little bit of Lion King I guess..
    It’s very reminiscent of the Lion King.

Here is a choir singing the song and getting the “golden buzzer” (automatic advancement past auditions) on America’s Got Talent for their performance of the song:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=B1cjW3rGSvg

Clearly the song has an appeal that reaches far beyond the video game market.

Hhak63P.png
  • palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Epic songs are a plus. The most important are voices and grunts/groans/moans during a combat. I get bored of games that only have sound effects and music but doesn't feel like I'm playing the character at all.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2019
    palabana wrote: »
    Epic songs are a plus. The most important are voices and grunts/groans/moans during a combat. I get bored of games that only have sound effects and music but doesn't feel like I'm playing the character at all.

*plays female character*
    In the middle of an epic bossfight.
    *character suddenly grunts and moans erotically*
    *whole raid stops*
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    For me Epic Music like "Answers" and "Dragon Song" from Final Fantasy XIV, inspires me to really dig deep into the story and readies my heart for battle, and to protect my cause. It's one of those songs that will become nostalgic later in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWdeMqELN-U
    [img][/img]