Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Development Roadmap?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Landmark had a roadmap - that they didn't adhere to - and that game launched unfinished and flopped.
    We already know that IS can't stick to a roadmap, so it's pointless.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Landmark had a roadmap - that they didn't adhere to - and that game launched unfinished and flopped.
    We already know that IS can't stick to a roadmap, so it's pointless.

FYI every gaming company has a roadmap and without one their project will be most likely doomed, because then there is no consistent with their work. If a game flops, the reason is not in that they had a roadmap. The problem is with the development plan or in the development itself.

It is totally fine if you do not personally care to follow progression of the product you have invest in, but that does not mean the roadmap as a concept would be pointless and no-one needs one. I am sure that a lot of people are interested (especially backers) to see how the development is actually progressed, at least the roadmap and reached milestones gives some concrete evidence of the progression.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Every game has an internal schedule/roadmap. Yes.
    What we're discussing is sharing that externally with the community.

And I'm saying that we know it's pointless for IS to share theirs externally because they've already proven that they won't stick to it in any way more meaningful than the way they've shared the progress and expected date for Nodes 3 or the Divine Nodes article.
    If they can't even do that much, it's absurd to expect them to do any more than what they're already doing with info about actual game development.

So far, what we can get on a regular basis are modeling and animation clips of weapons and mobs. We did have that dev update about the Mayoral Caravan System 3 months ago.
    But, I bet even those can't really be placed on a roadmap that should be shared externally because what gets shared with us when is not that systematic.

Sure, a reasonably accurate external roadmap would be welcomed by the player community.
    But, a roadmap from IS is not going to be reasonably accurate - not from a prospective player perspective.
    Which is precisely why the roadmap is not being shared externally.

The dev perspective is that reporting of development progress is handled adequately via the monthly dev stream.

Also, I didn't say that sharing a roadmap externally causes games to flop, rather I said that sharing a roadmap externally in no way guarantees that a game won't flop.
    Simply sharing the roadmap externally doesn't truly help alleviate concerns - what helps alleviate concerns is sticking to the external roadmap - which IS has already proven they can't do.
  • Options
    Incompetent scheduling is not an acceptable excuse to not show external roadmap for the investors. If you can not keep your backers informed of the progression of your project, you do not deserve their money either. So it is about time to start train the scheduling and maybe start with using Qs instead of exact dates. Qs should give enough freedom and time to react for unpredictable situations.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    RageskylarRageskylar Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I've heard the the Phoenix Initiative members get more frequent and detailed updates than us plebs and even more leaks into what Intrepid is currently doing. Is that true or are the peeps from the PI as much in the dark as us about where exactly are we in the roadmap, the old one?
  • Options
    ferryman wrote: »
    Incompetent scheduling is not an acceptable excuse to not show external roadmap for the investors. If you can not keep your backers informed of the progression of your project, you do not deserve their money either. So it is about time to start train the scheduling and maybe start with using Qs instead of exact dates. Qs should give enough freedom and time to react for unpredictable situations.
    IS can't even adhere to quarters.
    From the dev's perspectives, they are adequately keeping us informed already.
    And, they already have our money.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rageskylar wrote: »
    I've heard the the Phoenix Initiative members get more frequent and detailed updates than us plebs and even more leaks into what Intrepid is currently doing. Is that true or are the peeps from the PI as much in the dark as us about where exactly are we in the roadmap, the old one?

that is true. but its what they paid for so I have no problem
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

that is true. but its what they paid for so I have no problem

Same here, I was fishing for one of them in hopes of getting some reassurance about the state of the game without them breaking their NDA.
  • Options
    nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’d like to see progress being made toward in-game racial models, development cycles of a node from settlement to metropolis, a rough implementation of gathering/re
    We can see some skin tones and hair color in Apoc, but...
    Yes, we should be seeing rendered models for Dwarves, Orcs and Elves by now.
    It's concerning that we're not... if the game is supposed to release before 2021.
    Seems like we should have some idea of when Dwarf models will be available in Apoc since Castle Siege includes a Dwarf castle.
    Supposedly we have an option for Elves in Apoc, but that's really just pointed ears that are barely noticeable.
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’d like to see progress being made toward in-game racial models, development cycles of a node from settlement to metropolis, a rough implementation of gathering/refining/crafting, some form of character creation beyond picking an outfit and choosing male or female with pointy or not pointy ears. Even something simple like hair color, some preset face shapes, skin tone options.
    We can see some skin tones and hair color in Apoc, but...
    Yes, we should be seeing rendered models for Dwarves, Orcs and Elves by now.
    It's concerning that we're not... if the game is supposed to release before 2021.
    Seems like we should have some idea of when Dwarf models will be available in Apoc since Castle Siege includes a Dwarf castle.
    Supposedly we have an option for Elves in Apoc, but that's really just pointed ears that are barely noticeable.

They did say that Dwarves are almost made Siege and it sounds like they are almost done. The first iteration of rendered models, that is.
  • Options
    wildarms2wildarms2 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    when KS was going on they never mentioned that there was to be a FREE BR game made. ( this sounds alot like what they did with H1Z1 and we all know what happened to the non pvp aspect of the game it DIED)
    i think they need to start standing up and explain to the KS when alpha 1-2 to be released this year or say the games a flop and start issuing out are refunds . im a non pvper and don't think i would have KS a pvp BR like what they did with h1z1 . if this seams harsh i bought into landmark founders pack and that project died
    if this project revived landmark and used that as its BR then it would be a different story but doing a BR in stead of giving KS backers there alpha 1-2 was a low blow . we as KS still are waiting on are KS Rewards while you sell item to new players for the BR that you failed to mention to the KS
  • Options
    No one Kickstarted Apoc - which is why Apoc is in a different setting (a prequel) than the MMORPG and why it has separate funding and its own monetization.
    The MMORPG has been delayed. Which is typical of MMORPGs. People should have known that a release "before 2020" was unrealistic.
    I don't expect to see Alpha 1 for the MMORPG before 2020. It's technically not impossible, though.
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    This seems to be drifting off subject from the OP.
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ShadowVen wrote: »

Probably because we all know an actual roadmap of any description is out of the question.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »

Probably because we all know an actual roadmap of any description is out of the question.

As in it's not feasible or they simply won't provide it?
  • Options

Does the answer here make any difference?
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

not at all :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think a roadmap without dates is very much necessary. I would love to see what they are planning to work on and what we can expect to see accomplished. They have stated that they are wanting to have open development after all.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash,

How about a chronological list without dates, that's more intrinsic than just the testing phases? Wouldn't that be possible without having to worry about meeting deadlines?

Well, we have that already in the testing dates what else would you want on a games roadmap? so far we have
    • APOC BR
    • APOC CS
    • APOC HM
    • Alpha 1
    • Alpha 2
    • Beta 1
    • Beta 2
    • Release

See, we do have a roadmap without dates. And we have had it for a long time.
  • Options
    We haven't even seen the games races leave alone having dates.

They rushed saying that this would be the fastest mmorpg ever done . Don't expect this game to launch before late 2021.
  • Options

Yes not feasible would be super worrying because it would imply they don't have anything to show, meanwhile not simply providing it means that in some capacity they have a lot to show yet won't reveal it for X reason.
  • Options

Yes not feasible would be super worrying because it would imply they don't have anything to show, meanwhile not simply providing it means that in some capacity they have a lot to show yet won't reveal it for X reason.
    0UFclcr.png
    gQBxK2P.png

• Options
    I think we could make some speculation on what they have done and not share.

Like we know from last live that they take 6-7 days to create a mob models, and they start to show animated mod 1 years a go , I quickly found 20 one.
    They may have shown 50% of there work. So let's say they have less than 40 mob ready.

It can probably be done with others part of the development. ;)
  • Options
    xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Gimlog I really want to add you to my friends list when the game goes live. I bet you make for one of the best healers or necromancers in AoC. Your ability to rez dead threads is unparalleled.
  • Options
    Haha ^^" sorry I past the 3 last day to dig in to old threads that interests me because new one bored me.

PS: I really doubt to be good at both this class ... I'm usually the one that need heal and resurrection...