Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How Smart should the AI be?

Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
The topic of how smart enemy mobs should be is always interesting to discuss. If the AI are too stupid the game becomes boring, but make them too smart and the game becomes too frustrating to bother with. Anyone who has played WoW knows how annoying it is to fight Murlocs, mostly because they are much smarter than most other enemies. When you attack them they call allies to help, when they are on low health they run away from you, and healing-capable Murlocs will heal their allies. These are traits you don't find in most other WoW mobs.

Along with this we need to consider what kinds of abilities to give the enemy mobs. Should they have CC or healing abilities? I believe if you are going to add such abilities into the game you should also give players ways to counter them. If the enemy mobs have CC you should be able to avoid it in some way. If the enemy mobs have a healing ability there should be a way to interrupt it.

So, how smart do you want the enemy AI to be? What traits do you want them to show while fighting?
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• Options
    They said they want PvE to be challenging. This can be achieved through various methods:

The hardest way: have adaptive AI for all kinds of mobs 👀 test 50 types of mobs in the horde mode or A1 and they would be the base for all the mobs we will have in the MMORPG. + special dungeon/raid boss AIs

The hard way: Program/code 20 types of mobs and all other similar mobs of one type would act in the same way. + special dungeon/raid boss AI

The easy way: Only have adaptive AI for specific kinds of mobs such as those in dungeons and raids. Others will be done through programming (perhaps for 10 types of mobs)

The etarded way: Just increase the stats of mobs + no/very little use of AI and only for raid bosses
    signature.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Similar to wow, is it that weird to have difficulty and available abilities vary between mobs? Is it bad that there are some mobs that are frustrating to fight?

CC breaks and interrupts are normal for pvp, I don't think they should become dead abilities in pve.
  • Options
    AI should know to make distance if they’re ranged, they should have a threat priority system if taunt gets lost, some should try to flee, some should have the sense to call for backup, some should be hostile the moment they see you instead of requiring you be in close proximity, others shouldn’t do anything until you attack them first (especially influenced by some kind of reputation system, aka high corruption might have some affect on bandit npcs, a religious cult might let someone pass if they follow the same deity)

They shouldn’t all follow the same behavior just with different colors of attacks.
  • Options
    Similar to wow, is it that weird to have difficulty and available abilities vary between mobs? Is it bad that there are some mobs that are frustrating to fight?

CC breaks and interrupts are normal for pvp, I don't think they should become dead abilities in pve.

I think what makes the Murlocs in WoW so frustrating and jarring is that they are the only mobs that act the way they do. If all mobs acted the same way (or even just the majority of them) it wouldn't be so bad because players become more used to it. It's not even so much that they are harder to fight, they just require a different approach to deal with. It's like those annoying stealth levels that get put into fps games. You spend most of the game running and gunning and then are suddenly told to be sneaky and patient.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    AI should know to make distance if they’re ranged, they should have a threat priority system if taunt gets lost, some should try to flee, some should have the sense to call for backup, some should be hostile the moment they see you instead of requiring you be in close proximity, others shouldn’t do anything until you attack them first (especially influenced by some kind of reputation system, aka high corruption might have some affect on bandit npcs, a religious cult might let someone pass if they follow the same deity)

They shouldn’t all follow the same behavior just with different colors of attacks.

I was wondering when someone would bring up threat systems. In my opinion it's impossible to have truly smart AI whilst also having a tank-heal-dps trinity class system. This was actually brought up and discussed way back in 2005 at Blizzcon (video linked below if you are interested):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Falm0H7VEiQ

As said in the video, killing players is very easy. All the devs would have to do is program the boss to immediately target and kill the healers first. After all, a smart boss would totally do that. But then nobody would be able to kill the boss and the devs WANT us to kill the boss. Challenge us sure, but ultimately they want us to win.

There is only one game I can think of that had truly smart AI when it comes to targeting and that was the original GuildWars. In that game there was no threat, no taunts, no "tanking". Instead, mobs picked targets based on a list of criteria, usually targeting low health and low armoured targets first. This completed change the dynamics of the fights as frontline characters focused more on CC and bodyblocking enemies, whilst the casters had to be very careful about their positioning to stay safe. Of course, you can't have a system like this with a traditional holy trinity class structure.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2019
    Smart enough to support each other, but not smart enough to steam roll the players. Intelligence/difficulty should rise with lvl
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    GimlogGimlog Member
    edited December 2019
    Personally I'd like to see a rogue like mob that is untauntable and that focus players and entities with less than 50% damages reduction, this way none tank archetype may needed.

And if we got rogues like let's have the 8 class.
    I'm following a game where they go on it and look good for now.
    But can't see for now the problem we could encounter this way .
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The FPS game The Division has really smart mobs. The combat is based heavily on cover mechanics (including abilities that force people in and out of cover) and the mobs will sometimes try to flank you or seek higher ground, etc.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The better the AI the more fun I have but thats just me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

I want brain dead summons, give them WoW hunter pet intelligence and we are gucci. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

I want brain dead summons, give them WoW hunter pet intelligence and we are gucci. ;)

look at the AI in total war now that is brain dead
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    My 2cents:

I dont want mobs to stop chasing you and return to their post. It makes zones extremely easy to adventure in, and so the whole meaning is lost. Back in the 2000s, players were careful not to aggro more mobs than they could kill.

Today ppl run through mobs without fear of dying, to get from point A to B.

There has to be some challenge
  • Options
    My 2cents:

I dont want mobs to stop chasing you and return to their post. It makes zones extremely easy to adventure in, and so the whole meaning is lost. Back in the 2000s, players were careful not to aggro more mobs than they could kill.

I think that they should find a middle ground between following and not following.
    Make them stop following if you have not damaged them in any way, and let them chase if you HAVE damaged them.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think enemies should recognize opportunities to perform certain actions, as long as it doesn't use too many resources. I haven't seen too many MMORPGs that had things like enemies knowing how to use AoE effectively, I've only seen MMORPGs with overpowered AoE spells on NPCs to give an excuse for them to always cast it. Some improvement the area of AI would be nice. That said, somethings did work.

What I liked about classic WoW was there seemed to be a set of rules that NPCs followed. Shield bearers shield bashed most of the time. Archers could net and run. Dagger wielders would backstab targets that had their backs exposed. Humanoid NPCs would attempt to run while near death, giving an excuse to snare them. Some animals wouldn't swim, even though they had the animations for doing so. These things don't seem that heavy to implement when it comes to resources.
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    My 2cents:

I think that they should find a middle ground between following and not following.
    Make them stop following if you have not damaged them in any way, and let them chase if you HAVE damaged them.
    Another thing that would work would be to flag subzones as controlled by certain factions, then to have them run away if they were to enter a subzone controlled by an opposing faction if they are not themselves flagged as an invading force. Having hostile NPCs run into player towns and cities is really cheesy for an RPG.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    My 2cents:

A simple snare on some mobs is all it takes to stop this kind of thing.

In terms of mob AI, I'd like to see some differentation between animal behavior and intelligent behavior, between mobs that are by themselves and those that are in groups, between mobs that are in their home and out of it and between leaders (named and boss mobs), and followers (base population).

The UI need not specifically be used to increase difficulty - that is a byproduct. The idea is to make the content as a whole more interesting and varied.

There are other levers that can be used if the UI proves too hard.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I think what makes the Murlocs in WoW so frustrating and jarring is that they are the only mobs that act the way they do. If all mobs acted the same way (or even just the majority of them) it wouldn't be so bad because players become more used to it. It's not even so much that they are harder to fight, they just require a different approach to deal with. It's like those annoying stealth levels that get put into fps games. You spend most of the game running and gunning and then are suddenly told to be sneaky and patient.

I'll have to go back and play some wow because i thought that behavior is what some other humanoid mobs exhibited but that is beside the point.

I disagree with the premise that all mobs should function the same, especially in a MMO. The behavior murlocs show in wow doesn't come across as weird to me. I don't find it out of place that little fish people run away when they are starting to get beat, try to get friends, and heal up their friends. If anything, that's great for several reasons. It makes the mobs seem more then mindless punching bags and teaches players good habits like pulling mobs a way from others and focusing down healers when present.

You have given examples of mobs and behaviors you don't like, maybe it would help me understand your point of view if you gave examples of things you do like. It seems like you want to limit mobs to little more then mindless zombies that only have the goal of getting into range and attacking you. Not saying we can't have simple mobs like that in the game but i don't think every mob should be that simple.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I'll have to go back and play some wow because i thought that behavior is what some other humanoid mobs exhibited but that is beside the point.

I disagree with the premise that all mobs should function the same, especially in a MMO. The behavior murlocs show in wow doesn't come across as weird to me. I don't find it out of place that little fish people run away when they are starting to get beat, try to get friends, and heal up their friends. If anything, that's great for several reasons. It makes the mobs seem more then mindless punching bags and teaches players good habits like pulling mobs a way from others and focusing down healers when present.

You have given examples of mobs and behaviors you don't like, maybe it would help me understand your point of view if you gave examples of things you do like. It seems like you want to limit mobs to little more then mindless zombies that only have the goal of getting into range and attacking you. Not saying we can't have simple mobs like that in the game but i don't think every mob should be that simple.

There were quite a few mobs that ran away on low health, but none that showed the level of teamwork and coordination that the Murlocs did. Mobs showing higher levels of intelligence and coordination are fine but it needs to be more common than what we see in WoW. In the original Guildwars, groups of mobs acted like this all the time, helping each other, defending and healing each other, coordinating their attacks, etc. This was fine because it was like this from the very beginning of the game so players got used to it and expected it. By contrast, there are relatively few packs of Murlocs in WoW so players aren't used to fighting them. It happens so rarely that the players never really get a chance to practice the different tactics.

What I say applies to all types of games, not just mmorpgs. If you suddenly change the rules of engagement and AI behaviour, players are going to freak out and become frustrated by it. I'm sure most people get very frustrated by that one stealth level that always appears in fps games. Why? Because for that one level you have to completely change your gameplay from running&gunning to being patient and sneaky.

I agree with you though that there should be different behaviour patterns for different types of mobs. I wouldn't expect forest creatures to show the same amount of teamwork and coordination as humanoid mobs do. I would actually love to see smarter AI in the creatures I'm fighting, forcing me to use my entire toolkit. After all, what's the point in giving me an interrupt or CC ability if I never need to use it? But if you are going to do that it needs to be done regularly, not every so often from a single mob type.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    An enemy running away to get help when they have low HP was standard mob behavior back in the original EQ. We even used to call it “BAF” for “bring a friend”. That’s why roots and snares were essential to have in parties. It’s definitely not a new concept.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    When I first played Age of Empires II, I turned the AI difficulty to 11 and got thoroughly pummeled. I hope its not that difficult unless I bring friends.
  • Options
    Behague wrote: »
    When I first played Age of Empires II, I turned the AI difficulty to 11 and got thoroughly pummeled. I hope its not that difficult unless I bring friends.

your weakness discuses me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

It disgusted you so much you forgot how to spell the word :P
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

Sure taught 11 year old self not to mess with the AI again
  • Options

It disgusted you so much you forgot how to spell the word :P
    It’s hard to type with a skeletal hand.

You try typing by poking at a keyboard with chopsticks and see how many typos you have.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Botw level mob AI is the bar that i've set even though it is a single player game. And yeah as someone mentioned above, difficulty increase shouldnt be a numbers increase. I love playing fire emblem but my main gripe with the difficulty is it tends to raise enemy stats and doesnt do much for enemy AI.
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The topic of how smart enemy mobs should be is always interesting to discuss. If the AI are too stupid the game becomes boring, but make them too smart and the game becomes too frustrating to bother with. Anyone who has played WoW knows how annoying it is to fight Murlocs, mostly because they are much smarter than most other enemies. When you attack them they call allies to help, when they are on low health they run away from you, and healing-capable Murlocs will heal their allies. These are traits you don't find in most other WoW mobs.

Along with this we need to consider what kinds of abilities to give the enemy mobs. Should they have CC or healing abilities? I believe if you are going to add such abilities into the game you should also give players ways to counter them. If the enemy mobs have CC you should be able to avoid it in some way. If the enemy mobs have a healing ability there should be a way to interrupt it.

So, how smart do you want the enemy AI to be? What traits do you want them to show while fighting?

I want to see a variety of levels of intellect. Animals shouldn't just attack based on predator/prey, most animals would rather avoid conflict that could injure them, and only attack when threatened or when protecting their young. If a predator is actively hunting you, it should avoid charging at your face and instead stalk you (even using stealth skills) and attack from behind.

Goblins and other smaller weaker mobs should be drastically scaled down in individual strength, but absolutely swarm you. As in if you injure one with an arrow, it shouts and calls all it's buddies to arms. Those buddies might raise further alarms in the area and the rest of the armed goblins would be at increased levels of alertness and ready to attack in mass if the first wave fails to kill you.

Up to humanoid levels, PvE encounters should depend more on individual power, using archetypes and ranging their abilities based on their level (but not secondary archetypes and augments, heroes have to be heroic somehow after all). They should be hard encounters because of organization. Healers, tanks, and DPS all working together to keep you locked in conflict just as you would operate in.

A thing that's always annoyed me about PvE encounters was the conveniently small and tight aggro ranges. You could vary those ranges based on the encounter you want to develop. Goblins being highly aggressive or defensive around their territory would attack you as soon as they see you. Humanoids and animals might prefer to avoid you or only attack you if you approach whatever operation they're running and looking to defend.

If each PvE encounter requires some level of understanding to defeat it quickly, that would actually be awesome. If I can treat goblin hunting exactly the same as bandit hunting, what's the point of having two different creature types to begin with? Save yourself the animation time and just make bandits the only thing we ever encounter. PvE should be a lot more diverse then it has been. And yes, that means making it way more challenging than people are use to. I should feel a strong need to find a group to level with rather then try to run out and solo everything. Social interaction is what makes MMOs MMOs after all.
  • Options
    Think AI should be progressive and a little random. progresseive as in more intelligent as more dificult content becomes available. Random as in sometimes basic AIs like wolves and bears pull a fast one and do something smart more for variety to break up the boredome of grinding out out 50 wolves or bears for whatever reason. So AI should be smart enought to make you pay attention but not generally smart enought to make you wipe a lot unless it is hard cantent like 40 man raids and challenge dungeouns in those cases it is ok.

But if there was option to have advanced bots and monsters then that would be great way to cater to people that like those things. Somthing like Ironman mode or having Irionman toon. Really would recommend different mode like Apoc mode. (Apocalyptic Mode) Just not for every body think somehting like this would be easy to implement. I know what the iron man challenge is in wow not suggestion that exact challenge. Thinking Intrepid could come up with an Apoc Mode that would be fun and challenging for players that like those type of things definitely not for every body.

But in general would like AI difficulty set to moderate with option to do more difficult content. Mainly for phsycological reasons. When you do difficult content puts you under pressure and not every one likes those type of settings. At moderately difficulty in general people will be having fun with out having the game be too easy.

To put in terms of pvp rated pvp at higher rating is like zero tolerance for mistakes. If you do make a mistake then as soon as match ends people will be asking why
    Like why did you not make that interupt. and so on.

While non rated pvp content were you can try different set ups and tactics well not so much pressure more relaxed so more fun.

Both are FUN for me just different type of fun. So like in easy content a good player would just be mowing over everything having fun. Medium diffuculty content still killing things but have to be more care ful. Hard mode well have to be careful or you will die.

All three them are fun just high pressure no mistakes type of content not for every body all the time.

Pesonally I like difficult content and I am a pvper but sometimes my mind just wants to relax a bit and have no pressure fun. So recommend moderate difficulty for AI and if persons wnats to be challenged they can go and get that challenge by seeking out different content in pve and pvp.

Really forcing one difficulty rating on the entire players base is a design mistake in my opinion. Mainly because person may wnat to do easy content vs hard content just because they feel like it nothing to do with skill. Plus Game should cater to players of different skill levels.

But maybe you are refering to the fact that in some games AI for entire game is really basic and difficulty is dtermined by how much damage and hit points they have.

Personally I liked the AI in X-com Ufo enemy Unknown. You could pretty much figure out what they were going to do but sometimes they pulled a fast one or really smart move so you had to pay attention. So lets say they did not do anything unusual or smart for one game then you basically got lucky. So really it is not the difficulty it is that the AI is not static and repetative. But Jeff said there were coding issues with super smart AI. In MMO there are hundreds of mobs and monsters soo...

But I did present a post were we could at least get random actions from mobs just for variety that required little coding.
  • Options
    KaselKasel Member, Founder
    I just care about the realism aspect, so I really really hope that many of the mobs types like Bears for example, will run away when low on health. What would be even cooler is if size would scare them, so for example if they come close and I'm a summoner, I'd just scare it off by summoning a much larger creature than that Bear (if it's lower level than you, to balance this thing out of course) or if you're a giant Orc who's also higher level than the Bear, he'd just run away.

Things like that i'd appreciate the hell out of.
  • Options
    Best example I could think of is the AI generator for mob spawns (time of spawn rate | rarity of spawn(s) | randomness of monsters / mobs | inclusive / exclusive to PCs (whether or not they step on the spawn zone) | dependent upon PC(s) present - level(s), items of power, number in party, number without party, PC and/or NPC.

Some spawns have algorithms / timers as well. Not exactly sure how Unreal does this but you combine 10,000 players on one map/server + spawns that are entirely dependent on those PCs and you have one crazy zoo.
  • Options
    AI should be smart enough to keep game interesting and enough to make the player pay attention and still have the game be fun.