Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you want to see HEALING & SUPPORT in AoC

2»

Comments

• Options
    Well it's only a matter of semantic.

To me support are those that keep the group alive by opposition at those that make it go forward.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Gimlog wrote: »
    Well it's only a matter of semantic.

To me support are those that keep the group alive by opposition at those that make it go forward.

It isn't semantics. You were just mistaken.
  • Options
    Where is the mistake in a point of view ?

But you don't seem to want to be constructive and past over the difference in our view to speak of the difference there could be between a archetype and the 7 subclass influence by it.

In this topic it about support and healers, tank in or out don't matter in what I proposed.

How does a subclasse support will be able to support vs a archetype support.
    The difference that could be between them was what I proposed.

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Gimlog @noaani @Caeryl and @Damokles You are all wrong. There is only ever room for ONE carry on the team, the rest are all supports.

.....woops, wrong game :P
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

But you don't seem to want to be constructive and past over the difference in our view to speak of the difference there could be between a archetype and the 7 subclass influence by it.

In this topic it about support and healers, tank in or out don't matter in what I proposed.

How does a subclasse support will be able to support vs a archetype support.
    The difference that could be between them was what I proposed.

A support is a class that directly influences another player. A tank doesnt directly influence the players, but rather indirectly through keeping adds away. Supports directly heal or buff other players as their main directive.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    You are all wrong. There is only ever room for ONE carry on the team, the rest are all supports.

But what if the support was the carry the whole time? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    You are all wrong. There is only ever room for ONE carry on the team, the rest are all supports.

But what if the support was the carry the whole time? :open_mouth:

They all underestimate the full ap sona/lux support until they kill the enemy adc 1v1 ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damokles wrote: »
    @Damokles @Caeryl @noaani

8 Tank + 8 Cleric + 8 Bard = 24 i guess ...

But yes 15 subclass... went to quick

Or Tank isn't support for you ?

Well i count the classes differently tbh.

2 melee enduring: Tank + Fighter
    2 physical dps: Rogue + Ranger
    2 magical dps: Mage + Summoner
    2 supports: Bard + Cleric

Melee enduring doesnt just mean that they are typical tanks, but that they are able to endure overall damage BETTER then other base classes normally can.

I count the fighter as melee enduring, because if i imagine a fighter, then i dont see a glasscannon but rather a seasoned fighter who keeps on dishing out pain while fighting enemy after enemy (maybe not direct damage shielding, but rather lifeleeach etc?)

Kinda feel like they're going to hold to the trinity, and have 2 classes serve as multi-role versatiles.

Tank and Fighter being meat shields.
    Rogue and Mage being DPS
    Bard and Cleric being Support
    Summoner and Ranger being versatile (able to fill any role based on build)

Summoner has a variety of options with summons and eidolons, ranger has always been a tougher fighter type but also includes ranged combat and a potential for dps and stealth roles. If rangers have a bit of access to magical (druid like) spells and magic, they'd be able to serve any role to a limited degree.

As for the OP, I personally prefer a healer class that requires attention and effort. Long as I can maximize my service to the group by shifted from defense to assault as the need shifts and changes, I'd be happy.

I particularly enjoy DPS focused healing classes, leech healers or healers that heal/support as they attack. I think the augmentation system and mixing class types will really help to give players that desperately needed and desired versatility.

As long as healing/support isn't actually limited to just a defensive role.

I also like alternative styles of support to healing itself. Played City of Heroes a lot and being able to avoid the normal "healer" style of defender that focused more on throwing shields and resistances on players to keep them alive that way rather than just healing them to keep them alive.
  • Options
    Right and wrong is a matter of facts, not points of view.

Fact; almost all MMO class systems are based around tanks, healers, DPS and in some games, support.

This doesn't leave room for tanks to be support any more than it leaves room for DPS to be support.

Being wrong or mistaken is not exactly a bad thing. Attempting to defend a factually incorrect position, however, is.
  • Options
    @Damokles @noaani . So if I had said tank that can support you would have disagree to ?

To you there are only 16 support and none of the 12 support subclass will be able to support?

• Options
    @Damokles @noaani . So if I had said tank that can support you would have disagree to ?

To you there are only 16 support and none of the 12 support subclass will be able to support?

We were talking about archetype supports and subclass supports.
    I count all classes with a Bard or Cleric in the first slot as a archetype support and all classes with a Bard or Cleric in secondary position as a subclass support.

Typical support classes: Templar, Apostle, Shadow Disciple, Protector, Oracle, shaman, high priest, scryer, tellsword, siren, trickster, song warden, magician, songcaller, soul weaver, ministrel. (16 archetype supports)

Subclass suports: highsword, paladin, cultist, soulbow, acolyte, necromancer, bladedancer, argent, charlatan, bowsinger, sorcerer, enchanter. (12 subclass supports)

A "tank" that can support would be a Paladin or Argent for Tank and Highsword and Bladedancer for Fighter.
    I think that the MAIN OBJECTIVE of a subclass support is not to support, because that is NOT THEIR BASE CLASS. Do i believe that they COULD support? If they had to, yes. Shiuld they? Not really.
    A tanks main role is to keep himself alive for as long as possible, not others. Would a Paladin have heals or an Argent Buffs? Most likely. Does it change anything for their main duty? No.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    To me there are only 8 support classes (Bard/*), and there are 8 healer classes (Cleric/*). The only way I would say there are 16 support classes is if the Summoner was stated to be a support class rather than a DPS class (which is possible).

As said above, we don't know how much support a */Bard will be, nor how much of a healer a */Cleric will be. Since we know that your primary class determines your role, we know that at best, it won't be all that much.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    To me there are only 8 support classes (Bard/*), and there are 8 healer classes (Cleric/*). The only way I would say there are 16 support classes is if the Summoner was stated to be a support class rather than a DPS class (which is possible).

As said above, we don't know how much support a */Bard will be, nor how much of a healer a */Cleric will be. Since we know that your primary class determines your role, we know that at best, it won't be all that much.

I would honestly count the cleric under support, but that is depending on the perspective i believe xD.

(Reason: healing counts as supporting other players does it not? ;) )
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »

I would honestly count the cleric under support, but that is depending on the perspective i believe xD.

(Reason: healing counts as supporting other players does it not? ;) )

It does, but when your class archetypes are tank, healer, DPS and support, cleric counts as a healer, as it fits in there better (and no other class fits in there).

This same argument could be made to classify tanks as DPS, as tanks do deal damage - they just happen to have a role that they fit in to better than DPS, and so that is where they are placed.

Since both healers and support are more focused on their allies over their enemies though, it is very appropriate to talk about healers and support in a single discussion (note the title of this thread).
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    thyrell-a-necromancer-is-just-a-really-late-healer-thyrell-55486243.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    thyrell-a-necromancer-is-just-a-really-late-healer-thyrell-55486243.png

"And let me make shure that he stays dead."
    a6XEiIf.gif