Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Alpha-1 dates

LexLex Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
The latest creative director's letter gave dates for Alpha-1 testing. Here is a graphical representation of that plan, including info given on Discord about NDA. More details and sources can be found on the wiki.
541px-Timeline05.png

<3
fe85sq6n7wyu.png

Comments

• DraskDrask Member
    Thanks for posting this. Breaks it down nicely for those that don't keep updated on this constantly.
  • easyeasy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    yayoooooo summer gang summer gang
  • RaytekuRayteku Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    So the first Alpha 1 testing in May is covered by an NDA? Was that sated in discord? I don't recall reading in the director's letter. That's disappointing I was really hoping to see some Phoenix Initiative people live streaming it. I guess I won't get to see it until I test it with the other Braver of Worlds.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Great now I can count down the days/months/years
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Rayteku wrote: »
    So the first Alpha 1 testing in May is covered by an NDA? Was that sated in discord? I don't recall reading in the director's letter. That's disappointing I was really hoping to see some Phoenix Initiative people live streaming it. I guess I won't get to see it until I test it with the other Braver of Worlds.

Perhaps there is still too much bugs to show the whole thing public. At summer the features and mechanics are for sure at better shape and the whole package more polished and ready to show for everyone. I think that these pre-testing steps were created to calm down the community and followers who have been waiting so long the start of Alpha 1. May sounds about hundred times better than Fall regardless of what will be the content of Alpha 1 (limited QA with NDA). ;)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm sure most people realize this but take these dates with a grain of salt. They could easily get pushed back due to technical issues or the virus delaying production. I really, really, really hope that doesn't happen but I can already see the haters crying "Intrepid lied to us" if they dont get alpha 1 access the day they expected it.
  • Perhaps a hater is a little bit too harsh word and maybe a disappointed customers could be the right one. ;) Anyhow, I really hope too that there will not be no more delays and IS manage achieve this important Alpha 1 milestone without issues. Even IS did the announcement, they were careful which was smart, and they gave enough vague schedule, summer and fall. These gives them a little bit space if they face unexpected problems. I am waiting excited to see the summer test period when NDA will be lifted.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    IF I ever find out Steven has been holding back or lying to me, it is over. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Too many quarantinis imo.
    I'm just happy that we are in the alpha phase now and not pre alpha
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    ferryman wrote: »
    Perhaps a hater is a little bit too harsh word and maybe a disappointed customers could be the right one. ;) Anyhow, I really hope too that there will not be no more delays and IS manage achieve this important Alpha 1 milestone without issues. Even IS did the announcement, they were careful which was smart, and they gave enough vague schedule, summer and fall. These gives them a little bit space if they face unexpected problems. I am waiting excited to see the summer test period when NDA will be lifted.

I used the word haters to describe the people who will be "ashes is a scam, I told you so" if it's one day late. I think disappointed is how everyone will feel including Intrepid if they have to delay.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rayteku wrote: »

Margaret Krohn said in discord:
    yes, we will have an initial NDA, but we'll slowly open that up as things are more stable.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Oooo, I've been watching this on and off for a long time now, so long in fact that apparently my forum account got reset and I lost my "Survivor of the old forums" badge and my only post lol.

I'm glad to see the game advance to this stage of development, its really exciting!
    Oooo, I've been watching this on and off for a long time now, so long in fact that apparently my forum account got reset and I lost my "Survivor of the old forums" badge and my only post lol.

I'm glad to see the game advance to this stage of development, its really exciting!

Same thing happened to me. This post has instructions on how to get your kickstarter tag back. I just literally did it a hour ago lol

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44091/kickstarter-tag-next-to-forum-name#latest
  • PandiumPandium Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    If Alpha 1 is still in fall, with alpha 2, beta 1, beta 2 game is going to be released like 2022 :(
    haki wrote: »
    If Alpha 1 is still in fall, with alpha 2, beta 1, beta 2 game is going to be released like 2022 :(

2022 has been the somewhat optimistic assumption from many players for well over a year now. Some of us assume full release some time in 2023.
  • 2022 and 2023?! I don't like either of those dates. I've been hoping it was mid to late 2021. Haven't played a good mmo for a couple of years now.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think anyone likes those dates (even Intrepid). But they are more realistic to get a good game.

You want the game released next year or would you like a good complete game released later?

In my opinion, a well tested, complete game is absolutely more important than getting a crappy one released quickly. Just look at a few releases lately.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2020
    Sarevok wrote: »
    2022 and 2023?! I don't like either of those dates. I've been hoping it was mid to late 2021. Haven't played a good mmo for a couple of years now.

Here is a realistic timeline if EVERYTHING goes as planned:
    - May 2020 closed Alpha 1
    - Fall 2020 "open" Alpha 1
    - Summer 2021 Begin of internal Beta
    - Summer/Fall 2021 Begin of NDA Beta
    - Fall 2021 Open Beta
    - Winter 2021 Release (Christmas time)
    a6XEiIf.gif
    edited April 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    Sarevok wrote: »
    2022 and 2023?! I don't like either of those dates. I've been hoping it was mid to late 2021. Haven't played a good mmo for a couple of years now.

Here is a realistic timeline if EVERYTHING goes as planned:
    - May 2020 closed Alpha 1
    - Fall 2020 "open" Alpha 1
    - Summer 2021 Begin of internal Beta
    - Summer/Fall 2021 Begin of NDA Beta
    - Fall 2021 Open Beta
    - Winter 2021 Release (Christmas time)

This isn't leaving time to actually make new content.

This timeline would assume everything is made for alpha, and from there on out it is all about testing, fixing and reiterating.

Take dungeons as an example. I would expect Intrepid to have one made for alpha - maybe two. They wouldn't want to put too much more work in to them just yet, they would want testing of all the systems, all the node types and stages to make sure they all work.

Then, after alpha testing, they will assess how the dungeons performed, and then start building all the dungeons they need for release.

This would apply to quite a few things, and I would expect at least a year from alpha testing until the first beta build is put together.

Other than this one aspect, your timeline is about as I have expected it to go for quite a while now. If you add in the additional six months after alpha and before beta, it is what I consider to be the most likely best case scenario, with any issues pushing launch out past that timeframe, potentialling in to 2023.

Edit to add; it's worth pointing out that we haven't seen any naval content as yet. That in itself would take a long time to develop, let alone testing, fixing and reiterating.
  • PandiumPandium Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Kickstarter: Estimated delivery Dec 2018

And?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

This was never going to happen. 3 years for a brand new studio to make an mmorpg from scratch? Not a chance in hell that was ever going to happen.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • haki wrote: »

This was never going to happen. 3 years for a brand new studio to make an mmorpg from scratch? Not a chance in hell that was ever going to happen.

True and I guess at least 5 years is closer the average and perhaps nowadays even more when examining current crowdfunding projects.

True and I guess at least 5 years is closer the average and perhaps nowadays even more when examining current crowdfunding projects.

I would say even 5 years is pushing it for a new studio. That's the same amount of time it took Blizzard to first create WoW with 100+ people in an already established studio. Remember that Intrepid started development of Ashes with just 8 people on staff and even now only have around 50-60 employees. The only thing on Intrepid's side is that the infrastructure and technology available makes creating games much faster. Things like gigabit or even 10 gigabit networking really speed up production for a studio with a constant flow of data. Of course, this is counter-balanced by the fact the scope of Ashes far exceeds the scope of WoW when it first launched.
    volunteer_moderator.gif

I would say even 5 years is pushing it for a new studio. That's the same amount of time it took Blizzard to first create WoW with 100+ people in an already established studio. Remember that Intrepid started development of Ashes with just 8 people on staff and even now only have around 50-60 employees. The only thing on Intrepid's side is that the infrastructure and technology available makes creating games much faster. Things like gigabit or even 10 gigabit networking really speed up production for a studio with a constant flow of data. Of course, this is counter-balanced by the fact the scope of Ashes far exceeds the scope of WoW when it first launched.

Yeah, this is something I've had debates about with others before.

You aren't really starting development of an MMO when you have 8 people - at least not a AAA one.

Realistically speaking, the MMO started development in 2018 when their first hiring spree post kickstarter was finished. There were bits and pieces of it before then, but honestly not much.

If you discount that small amount that would have been done then, that leaves the 5 years of development at a release in 2023.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The other thing that people forget to take into account is the game engine (with networking). Intrepid had to build theirs first. A lot of other AAA games are from studios that already have an engine.
  • FerrymanFerryman Member
    edited April 2020

If we speak in general of making MMORPG, the time of development base on few main factors. What is the starting point of the company (e.g. experience and available resources) and the wideness of the project. World of Warcraft is a great example how long the development can take from an experienced gaming studio which had the base already done via Warcraft series. Therefore, Blizzard did not start from a scratch they had a solid base already there where to build on.

If we speak of Ashes of Creation, I agree that 5 years may not be enough to finish the whole project. If we think of the starting point of IS and how much there is planned content, features and mechanics we can presume it can take 1 - 2 extra years. And now I was not even talking about this one side project which may delay the MMORPG even more, depending of course where the focus will be in the future.
    The other thing that people forget to take into account is the game engine (with networking). Intrepid had to build theirs first. A lot of other AAA games are from studios that already have an engine.

The only mmorpg I know of that actually made it's own game engine from scratch was WoW. Most others use modified versions of existing engines, including Ashes. The base Unreal Engine isn't optimised for mmorpgs so Intrepid have had to modify it to suit their needs. Granted this is still a lot of work but not nearly as much as making your own engine from scratch like Blizzard did for WoW.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    edited April 2020

The only mmorpg I know of that actually made it's own game engine from scratch was WoW.
    Every MMO SoE ever made was built with a propitiatory engine.

EQ Planetsideand EQ2 were developed with their own unique engine - and possibly EQOA as well, though I am not sure. After that, they created Forgelight engine and used it in EQN, Free Realms, Planetside 2, Just Survive and H1Z1.

Altering UE4 to work with an MMO is less work than creating an engine from scratch, but not by much.

Edit; an exception to the above about SoE may be Vanguard, which they purchased as a partially completed product and so couldn't make a decision about an engine. That game used UE2 iirc.