kickstarter perk

ashoneashone Member, Braver of Worlds
What happened to THIS? Invite to Closed Alpha - Phase 1 (Earliest Access to Ashes!) looks like the "earliest access " now belongs to PI.
«1

Comments

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    ashone wrote: »
    What happened to THIS? Invite to Closed Alpha - Phase 1 (Earliest Access to Ashes!) looks like the "earliest access " now belongs to PI.

    I was thinking the same thing to be honest. not sure they don't just open it up to every alpha 1 player instead
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds
    They want to slowly let players in so they can test server stability. If they let 10k players in right at the start most likely the servers would crash. If they did stay up you'd be getting about 2 fps. I'd also assume the players will not be set free to do whatever they wish either. Most likely Intrepid will task them with specific things to test for feedback.

    Dont get me wrong I'd love to get in for the may tests as well but I'm willing to wait a few months if that means I'll actually be able to log on once my name gets the call to join.

    Hopefully this virus let's up so they can get back to the studio and give us some more livestreams in the meantime
  • justixjustix Member
    Ive been super patient, but I feel like as one one fo the OG backers I should have been invited to the Alpha. Kind of a sad panda moment...
  • justixjustix Member
    I reread the kickstarter campaign and I guess Im only goign to be invited to beta, so i guess ignore me.
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old
    Gamers feeling entitled psssh never
  • SarevokSarevok Member
    darthaden wrote: »
    They want to slowly let players in so they can test server stability. If they let 10k players in right at the start most likely the servers would crash. If they did stay up you'd be getting about 2 fps. I'd also assume the players will not be set free to do whatever they wish either. Most likely Intrepid will task them with specific things to test for feedback. e

    This shouldn't be the case. This is why they built Apoc.
    Looking for a future PvP guild in AoC? Want to learn from vets and git-gud? Check us out at http://www.fml-guild.com/
    w2QE7gN.png
  • Sarevok wrote: »
    darthaden wrote: »
    They want to slowly let players in so they can test server stability. If they let 10k players in right at the start most likely the servers would crash. If they did stay up you'd be getting about 2 fps. I'd also assume the players will not be set free to do whatever they wish either. Most likely Intrepid will task them with specific things to test for feedback. e

    This shouldn't be the case. This is why they built Apoc.

    Apoc was created to test out basic frameworking, client connection, action combat and basic server structure.
    Alpha is there to test advanced frameworking, server stability, advanced client connection and client-to-client networking.
    KkvMmA5.png
  • RutaqRutaq Member
    Like the original poster, I was confused when I read about the Alpha testing starting in May but only for Phoenix folks because when I had backed the Kickstart way back when... I chose the package that would be give me the earliest access to Alpha.

    I pulled up the old Kickstarter page just to double check.. Invite to Closed Alpha - Phase 1 (Earliest Access to Ashes!)

    7fc0d2a8c9.png

    They can always called the Phoenix testing something other than Alpha testing I suppose but it does bring up a good point that the kickstart package is pretty clear that it includes Earliest Access to Ashes Alpha.

  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    edited April 13
    If they let everyone in at once, they wouldn't gain necessary information, especially If the servers are just going to crash. Now, if it crashes slowly, or progressively gets worse and crashes. You can find what's causing the issues, and make fixes.

    I'm an advocate for you guys and want everyone to play, but the last thing I want to see is thousands of people wanting to play and they can't. And it flops.

    Now with that. I would love to see players with Alpha-1 Access, that if they needed to, add more testers in waves, but I don't want to see people waiting in a long queue either. It'll just lead to frustration.

    That's what I'm going for when Steven comes to pi. If they need numbers, announce Random alpha 1 access. And slowly get people in. If need be, I would love to be selective. Rather get people that are looking in every day, wanting to help, or just play some Alpha-1, rather than random access to someone that hasn't checked in a year.
    updatedban.png
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds
    I guess they could just make us all wait until next year when things are more stable instead of slowly letting us in starting next month
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    darthaden wrote: »
    I guess they could just make us all wait until next year when things are more stable instead of slowly letting us in starting next month

    Need numbers to make sure things are working properly. So if Steven blows the horn, to summon his Alpha-1 backers. I hope they'll answer the call. ❤️🙏
    updatedban.png
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds
    Fooshyy wrote: »
    darthaden wrote: »
    I guess they could just make us all wait until next year when things are more stable instead of slowly letting us in starting next month

    Need numbers to make sure things are working properly. So if Steven blows the horn, to summon his Alpha-1 backers. I hope they'll answer the call. ❤️🙏

    I'm a braver of worlds backer myself and hope we get the call asap. 100% I'll be there unless they hold a test on like a Tuesday at 11am when I'm at work lol.
    Hopefully things go well and alpha 1 will be ready to handle a full server by the fall
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Yeah it makes total sence to roll A1 out in phases with PI first. And it does not even bother me because technically, 'Earliest Access to Ashes' already disappeared with the launch of APOC in the same way :P
    Wololo.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    This won't be the first time that Intrepid promised something that they didn't fulfill.

    I'm sure it won't be the last either.
    U752vHP.png
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds
    The only thing certain in life (or anywhere) is change.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Since PI people technically have BoW as part of their package, they also have that perk from Kickstarter. The wording says you will get an invite to A1, says nothing about when that invite would occur. Worst kind of wordsmithing to do it that way, but with every single game out there with alpha test servers releasing to massive hour one logins, then crashes, and then delays to fix those issues (*cough Last Oasis cough*) you can understand why they went with a smaller control group to make sure there are no hiccups under NDA. It isn't like people are going to be streaming or talking about it rubbing your noses in that they got access before you. Once Steven is happy that they can support a mass of people logging on all at once (cause you know every person is going to try and be on minute one,) they will release the NDA and let those that are BoW and website package holders have access. <Speculation> Don't be surprised if the often overlooked LoM people get access before BoW/Website too.<Speculation end>
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • wildarms2wildarms2 Member, Founder
    alpha 1 is for weekends and wipes at end of weekends
    alpha 2 was a stable build with no wipes and 24/7 game play till beta
    so waiting for alpha 2 stable build is worth it just have to keep waiting we get are turn some day or a refund + interest
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    edited May 1
    They have never said that Alpha 2 would not experience wipes. The opposite in fact, there will be multiple wipes throughout the entire process as needed.
    Fresh quote for ya.
    a2wipes.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    They have never said that Alpha 2 would not experience wipes. The opposite in fact, there will be multiple wipes throughout the entire process as needed.
    Fresh quote for ya.
    a2wipes.png

    hail to the quote king
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • rumloxrumlox Member, Braver of Worlds
    I contacted customer support over this and they don't care at all that they are not honoring what braver of worlds paid for (earliest access). no packages above BoW has anything about earlier access, because they already sold earliest access to BoW. If they sold more of these packages then they can currently handle then they should have rotating groups of testers. At this point I wont be shocked if our lifetime subs turns out to only be good for a couple of years.
    Axiom-Rumlox-Sig2.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member
    edited May 3
    rumlox wrote: »
    I contacted customer support over this and they don't care at all that they are not honoring what braver of worlds paid for (earliest access). no packages above BoW has anything about earlier access, because they already sold earliest access to BoW. If they sold more of these packages then they can currently handle then they should have rotating groups of testers. At this point I wont be shocked if our lifetime subs turns out to only be good for a couple of years.

    BoW offered access to alpha 1, which was considered the earliest access to testing Ashes.

    Alpha 1 is still the earliest access to testing Ashes, and BoW packages still have access to Alpha 1.

    The fact that they are considering Alpha 1 as a single block doesn't take away any of these facts. They never promised access to all of Alpha 1.

    Arguing either way is semantics, so best just leave Intrepid to do what they need to do.
  • TimeraiderTimeraider Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    edited May 3
    I have enough time after these years.. can wait another bit more if it ends up better :P
    SoulfulDisastrousIrukandjijellyfish-small.gif
    A being can not judge light if he has never seen it, neither can he judge darkness if he never has been it
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds
    Please remember that all tiers of the kickstarter above Braver of Worlds include Braver of Worlds.
    None of the packages above needed to say anything as they included it.

    Just think of the testing in May as pre-Alpha 1 access to help get ready for Alpha 1. BoW will get Alpha 1 access.
  • LalliLalli Member, Braver of Worlds
    Please remember that all tiers of the kickstarter above Braver of Worlds include Braver of Worlds.
    None of the packages above needed to say anything as they included it.

    Just think of the testing in May as pre-Alpha 1 access to help get ready for Alpha 1. BoW will get Alpha 1 access.

    It's kinda sad that you have to say it but apparently some people don't realize that.
  • JahlonJahlon Member
    So back in December of 2019 I booked a vacation.
    At that time, on the very day I booked it, they took my money and in exchange for my money I got certain guarantees about what I was getting for my money.

    Then a Pandemic Hit, and those guarantees went out the window.

    Why is that relevant?

    In 2017 Intrepid ran a Kickstarter. At that time, they had a plan.
    Then in 2018/2019 they had a set back and realized that their back end architecture had to be totally redone.

    That set back hit, and your guarantee of "earliest possible access" went right out the window.

    Unless you want them to just allow all 10,000 A1 backers into the server at one time, have it crash, and have them have no idea what the problem is and end up having weeks at a time of no testing as they try to figure out is it the loading server, the authentication system, the starter zone, or something else.

    Its like people forgot its "Alpha testing" not "Alpha I get to preview the game to get an advantage playtime"
    27eAoL8.png
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • NoaaniNoaani Member
    Jahlon wrote: »
    So back in December of 2019 I booked a vacation.
    At that time, on the very day I booked it, they took my money and in exchange for my money I got certain guarantees about what I was getting for my money.

    Then a Pandemic Hit, and those guarantees went out the window.

    Why is that relevant?

    In 2017 Intrepid ran a Kickstarter. At that time, they had a plan.
    Then in 2018/2019 they had a set back and realized that their back end architecture had to be totally redone.

    That set back hit, and your guarantee of "earliest possible access" went right out the window.

    Unless you want them to just allow all 10,000 A1 backers into the server at one time, have it crash, and have them have no idea what the problem is and end up having weeks at a time of no testing as they try to figure out is it the loading server, the authentication system, the starter zone, or something else.

    Its like people forgot its "Alpha testing" not "Alpha I get to preview the game to get an advantage playtime"

    Don't be so ridiculously reasonable.
  • DanteDante Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    Yeah, I just made a post on the subreddit about this and was directed here. It's upsetting being told something that isn't true. If there is any access to ashes for kick starter backers, then that is the earliest access. Anything after that isn't what we paid for.
  • Leviathan18Leviathan18 Member, Braver of Worlds
    They could release a rough roadmap as to when we can access the alpha
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds
    edited May 9
    I just took a look at the Braver of Worlds on the Kickstarter page. It says "Invite to Closed Alpha - Phase 1 (Earliest access to Ashes!)".

    Let us break that down. That means that you will be invited to the Alpha 1. And that Alpha 1 is the earliest access to Ashes. It does not promise that the person who backed that tier will be the first person in the world. It means that you will be included in the group of the earliest access to Ashes (Alpha 1). Alpha 1 is not a date, it is a window of time. As long as you get access during that window, you are ecstatic.

    Everything that has happened up to Alpha 1 has been pre-Alpha. Which is not Alpha 1. It was even mentioned in the letter as preview to the Ashes 1 world.

    Also pulled from the Kickstarter FAQ:
    We’ll be doing continual testing of our game until launch, alpha and beta are included in this plan. Alpha 1 will be our very first “closed” test, followed by Alpha 2, Beta 1 and Beta 2. They will take place in that order, but exact dates of each test aren’t available at this time.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member
    Dante wrote: »
    Yeah, I just made a post on the subreddit about this and was directed here. It's upsetting being told something that isn't true. If there is any access to ashes for kick starter backers, then that is the earliest access. Anything after that isn't what we paid for.
    This is only one possible way of reading the kickstarter information, and as it turns out, this was the wrong way.

    Since not every player will have access to all of alpha 1, as is reasonable, not all players will gain access to it right at the start.

    However, since Alpha 1 is still the first access to the game, and people with Alpha 1 access still have access to Alpha 1, then the statements on the kickstarter page are still true.

    You may have misunderstood the statements, but that is only really possible if you don't understand how online game alphas actually work. If you think you are going to log in and look at the game and make a decision as to whether you want to play it or not, or make a decision on what class you will play, or what race, you are somewhat mistaken.

    You will log in to the alpha client and will most likely have several things that Intrepid specifically want players to test. There is likely to be limited (or no) actual content.

    Having alpha tested a number of MMO's and expansions, alpha testing is more akin to work that you do for free to try and help the game be better.
Sign In or Register to comment.