Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

kickstarter perk

2»

Comments

• Options
    FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2020
    I had to go and check mine. As a founder, which was $150, it's alpha 2 access.

Earlier access didn't start until about the $485 tier. So I'd wager alpha 1 would be a pretty small group based on that dollar figure (as it should be), and the rest of us will get in for whatever level we went for.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @blur A small group? Alpha 1 sales were capped at 10,000 and finished back in 2018. People have been screaming on Discord for months now, especially since the latest reveal for "muh access!" wanting Intrepid to open up sales again and they won't/can't exactly because the capability to open the servers minute one to thousands of people just is not there and won't be for several weeks.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    DanteDante Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    Dante wrote: »
    Yeah, I just made a post on the subreddit about this and was directed here. It's upsetting being told something that isn't true. If there is any access to ashes for kick starter backers, then that is the earliest access. Anything after that isn't what we paid for.
    This is only one possible way of reading the kickstarter information, and as it turns out, this was the wrong way.

Among the Kickstarter packages, it says earliest access. If they are allowing Kickstarter backers into the mmo, then that is the earliest access for Kickstarter backers.

If it was random, or friends and family then fine.... But they are bringing in Kickstarter backers now, which means they've not held up their side of what we paid for.

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    As long as the BoW backers get in during Alpha 1, Intrepid is holding up their side of it. Just because I am not the first person in does not mean I will not be part of Alpha 1.

They are bringing in the first wave of Braver of Worlds backers now. Just in case you missed it, all higher tiers say that they include all lower tiers. So, every backer of Leader of Men or higher has Braver of Worlds too. We are just not the first wave to be in Alpha 1. We will still be in Alpha 1, which is that 'earliest access' you are talking about.

They are not allowing the tiers lower than Braver of Worlds into Alpha 1. They will be in for Alpha 2 or the Betas.
  • Options
    I get what your saying, but let's look at it this way. Let's say I stead of alpha access it was something physical, let's say a game console for arguments sake. Now, we all paid for the earliest access to the first version of this console ( alpha 1 earliest access). When they start shipping them out, they now say "we know 10k people paid for the earliest version of this console, but we're only shipping out a hundred for now, the rest of you will get yours at a later time in the months to follow."

You could see how this would be upsetting and thought of as bad business practice. They shouldn't be giving access to the consoles/alpha until it's ready for all those that paid for it, not just a few.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I get what your saying, but let's look at it this way. Let's say I stead of alpha access it was something physical, let's say a game console for arguments sake. Now, we all paid for the earliest access to the first version of this console ( alpha 1 earliest access). When they start shipping them out, they now say "we know 10k people paid for the earliest version of this console, but we're only shipping out a hundred for now, the rest of you will get yours at a later time in the months to follow."

You could see how this would be upsetting and thought of as bad business practice. They shouldn't be giving access to the consoles/alpha until it's ready for all those that paid for it, not just a few.

Um yeah. That happens all the time with new physical products, especially ones that have been kick-started. A lot of times it's not possible for a new company to make and ship 10,000 products immediately, so they just ship them out in waves, as soon as they are ready. Because holding products in a warehouse and making people wait, so that everyone can get their product on the exact same day, is just a waste of everyone's time.

Really though, anybody who buys into a kickstarter with detailed, rock-solid, immovable expectations of what they are buying is just horribly naive. Kickstarters aren't capable of offering promises or detailed plans.

And I don't understand why anyone would want to play a broken and shitty version of the game anyways, which is what the first Alpha will be. I already regret the time I spent in APOC. (I might have enjoyed it more if I had waited for the smaller map, but instead I burnt out on the big, empty, do-nothing map.)
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @blur A small group? Alpha 1 sales were capped at 10,000 and finished back in 2018.

Well, we know for sure that closed Alpha - Phase 1 sales were at 3,285 during Kickstarter. Are you saying that they then sold an additional 6,715 x $500-plus pledges on the site to make up 10,000... or are you just saying it was capped at 10,000 (whether sales got there or not)? Because I'm sure you'll agree they are potentially two quite different figures. All of that said, even if 10,000 units were sold at that level (and the jury's still out to lunch on that until you clarify what you meant), 10,000 is still - relatively speaking - a small group compared to the overall game population. But as the total is, in all likelihood, well under 10,000 Alpha - Phase 1 sales, it's even more so.
  • Options
    Look, I want the game to succeed, I want to play a truly great MMO, that I get to play from the beginning, so I don't miss out on anything. So many MMO's I've found late, missed special one time events, missed collectibles, missed out on how certain aspects of the game were before there were fixes/changes/etc... (nerfed/ nolonger dropped items in Everquest, Mounts and events in WoW/Tera/Rift).

So I made myself splurge more then I normally would for a game, cause it came with lifetime sub and earliest access, so I wouldn't miss anything. I think the stem of my being upset, comes from one of the earlier alphas, when they stated something along the lines of there being an interesting glitch or bug and the commemorated it by giving everyone that participated a place-able item for their in game house. So now, with my earliest access I've already missed something again.

I just want them to stick by their words, otherwise whats to stop them from in the future of changing what they said about anything.

I still want to play the game, I want it to be great, I have no issue waiting. Though I am just annoyed cause my Earliest... isn't true anymore.
  • Options
    So Dante, you expected to be offered the first character slot the game because you paid $500. But the ones who paid $5000 have to wait until you are already playing before they get a chance???

You both get access to Alpha 1, but you are annoyed that you haven't been invited yet? As far as I know, Alpha 1 has not yet been closed.

Still don't understand how think you are being slighted. Again, if you are not invited before the close of Alpha 1, you have a right to be annoyed. But not until then.
  • Options
    So Dante, you expected to be offered the first character slot the game because you paid $500. But the ones who paid $5000 have to wait until you are already playing before they get a chance???

You both get access to Alpha 1, but you are annoyed that you haven't been invited yet? As far as I know, Alpha 1 has not yet been closed.

Still don't understand how think you are being slighted. Again, if you are not invited before the close of Alpha 1, you have a right to be annoyed. But not until then.

No. I expect Alpha 1 to be the first access that any Kickstarters get. Instead, they created a new 0.5 and only invited PI. Kickstarter backers should not be receiving any access to the MMO BEFORE alpha 1. All the Kickstarter backers ($500) and up paid for access to alpha 1, not 0.5. This is the mistake.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    No, they didn't create a '0.5'. This is the start of Alpha 1. They have said that all BoW backers get in during Alpha 1. Since Alpha 1 has not yet closed, we are still good. Please give a reference where they stated that what is happening right now is not Alpha 1.

And does that reference negate what @Steven Sharif said in his letter?
    https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2020-04-01-creative-directors-letter
    I am happy to announce that limited Alpha One testing will begin in May of 2020 starting with our highest level Alpha One backers from Kickstarter.
  • Options
    No, they didn't create a '0.5'. This is the start of Alpha 1. They have said that all BoW backers get in during Alpha 1. Since Alpha 1 has not yet closed, we are still good. Please give a reference where they stated that what is happening right now is not Alpha 1.

And does that reference negate what @Steven Sharif said in his letter?
    https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2020-04-01-creative-directors-letter
    I am happy to announce that limited Alpha One testing will begin in May of 2020 starting with our highest level Alpha One backers from Kickstarter.

I picked up the term 0.5 from another post I was reading describing the limited QA testing that is under NDA. I tried looking for the post, but can't seem to find it (believe it was on Reddit). I'll take back my statement about them creating a 0.5, I was under the impression that since people were calling it this, it was a thing.

Looking up the actual release date/schedule from quotes it states Alpha 1 is starting this month under limited QA testing under NDA. I'm assuming the 0.5 lingo that I read about was more of a buzzword or fan-made term, So I will stop using that. If what were in is Alpha 1 according to the quotes, then I will forgo my argument. Since it is Alpha one, and Kickstarters are gaining access then all is good.

It brings my argument down from thinking the company was trying to be untruthful, so me just grumbling about tiered access to the alpha 1, which sucks, but I can live with that.

Thank you for the clarity Undead Canuck. I was using unofficial terms that dug me in a hole.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Looking up the actual release date/schedule from quotes it states Alpha 1 is starting this month under limited QA testing under NDA. I'm assuming the 0.5 lingo that I read about was more of a buzzword or fan-made term, So I will stop using that. If what were in is Alpha 1 according to the quotes, then I will forgo my argument. Since it is Alpha one, and Kickstarters are gaining access then all is good.
    Honestly, this is what we have been saying all along.

People are calling it 0.5 because it has a lot of bugs and issues. These people are the kind of people that think the first wave of testing out of four known waves should be players testing a fully formed, ready to release game.

That isn't what Intrepid are doing. Even in the final beta - a point many games treat as nothing more than pre-release - Intrepid will still be actually, actively testing the game.

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @blur I am saying that they closed the sales after selling close to 10k packages for access. I realize that you like to refer to the KS page to try and get your numbers, but those are 3 years old. Many, many people upgraded. Many, many people bought the $500 package that had A1 access when it was available. There are quotes and statements out there for those that want to do the research.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @blur I am saying that they closed the sales after selling close to 10k packages for access. I realize that you like to refer to the KS page to try and get your numbers, but those are 3 years old. Many, many people upgraded. Many, many people bought the $500 package that had A1 access when it was available. There are quotes and statements out there for those that want to do the research.

Well, I referred to the KS page because those numbers are solid. They can't be less than that, so it's a good start point. And absolutely, I have no doubt some people have upgraded since then. I would be crazy to say different to that. But is there a definitive number? You say "many many" people bought the $500 package; was this being tracked anywhere to give an actual figure, or is it just the vibe you got at the time? You also mention there are "quotes" and "research" out there; I haven't seen it. Doesn't mean it's not out there, however, it would need to be pretty solid and not just, "I saw some people say they upgraded..." Because, yes, we can all imagine that happened. But on what scale, I still don't know. If this information is solid, and out there, point me at it mate. Keen to see it!
  • Options
    @blur

"We currently have over 8,500 participants for our Alpha One testing phases. We announced last month, that we will be closing the sales to Alpha One, in order to keep this number below 10,000 testers."

Newsletter 7th August 2018

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Nicely done, thank you! @unknownsystemerror
  • Options
    Yokai TheaterYokai Theater Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    @unknownsystemerror I don't think @blur understands/knows that they sold $500 store packs after the KS and Summer Crowdfunding that included Alpha One keys

But Blur what Unknown is saying is true they only want 10,000 Alpha One testers and they hit that number (or at least close to it) in August of 2018 and will not be selling more or letting anyone who does not have a Alpha One Key already bought into Alpha One. So anyone under Braver of Worlds will not be getting into Alpha one and they will not be opening it up to the public like they did with APOC
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I just feel bad for those poor bastards at LoM. Everyone just blows right by them to get to the BoW. It is always PI and higher, then BoW. Gotta show our $1000 brothers some love too. Bet they get an invite before the BoW people after the PI. <speculation>

"All animals are equal, some animals are more equal than others!" - Snowball, Animal Farm
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just feel bad for those poor bastards at LoM. Everyone just blows right by them to get to the BoW. It is always PI and higher, then BoW. Gotta show our $1000 brothers some love too. Bet they get an invite before the BoW people after the PI. <speculation>

"All animals are equal, some animals are more equal than others!" - Snowball, Animal Farm

I'm just here for the lifetime sub to be honest :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Just here for Alpha 1 (even though I know about the wipes and random issues) and the lifetime sub... Probably about 60/40.